Speculation: Offseason Thread II: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Anyone have interest in voting to build our lines, pairings and starter/backup in net in a similar manner to the prospect polls?

I think there's a "vote for up to three" option in the polls, which could just list every forward and we'd vote for three. That's kind of an imperfect science and maybe there's a way to do "top line center" and "top line wings" that's better but I'm just spitballing here. Ideas are welcome.

Of course, we can and do always post our own individual lineups but wondering if the exercise to come up with lines representing the entire group's opinion as a time-kill is worth the effort.

Maybe we ought to make a lineup of posters instead?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Anyone have interest in voting to build our lines, pairings and starter/backup in net in a similar manner to the prospect polls?

I think there's a "vote for up to three" option in the polls, which could just list every forward and we'd vote for three. That's kind of an imperfect science and maybe there's a way to do "top line center" and "top line wings" that's better but I'm just spitballing here. Ideas are welcome.

Of course, we can and do always post our own individual lineups but wondering if the exercise to come up with lines representing the entire group's opinion as a time-kill is worth the effort.

I would enjoy that more than the prospects poll!

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Jonesy and Gerbe retweeting some anti-lockdown twitter users/dubious thinking. Put the "significant number" of COVID positive Jackets players in a certain light.

You can likely tell who's taking covid seriously but on perusing a player's "likes" on Twitter. That's all I'll say.

"Multiple players" did not come as a surprise to me.

I've started unfollowing specific players on social media due to their likes of tweets that I don't agree with. They are allowed to have their opinions but but it makes me sad to see their thoughts on important things happening in the country right now. It has really changed the way I look at some people.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I've started unfollowing specific players on social media due to their likes of tweets that I don't agree with. They are allowed to have their opinions but but it makes me sad to see their thoughts on important things happening in the country right now. It has really changed the way I look at some people.

Agreed. The ignore feature on this site has been rather helpful as well.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

It sounds really interesting, I’m just not sure how it’ll work in practice. Plus it might be hard to know who to put at certain spots if their linemates are being voted on at the same time (like, maybe the guy who got my RW vote for line 1 wouldn’t have been who I would’ve picked had I known who the LW vote or something?) Maybe it’d be easier to just rank by position? Though that might be too easy/boring, particularly on C/D.

This is a different direction, but there was a recent article in the Athletic that ranked the top 50 NHL players as assets. Obviously talent was a primary consideration, but also age, contract term, salary, etc. Essentially, which player would fetch the most in return in a trade. That could be fun to do for the CBJ; basically rank our top-25 assets, similar to the prospect poll. Start with a poll of the top 5 (Jones, Z, Dubois, Bjorkstrand, Texier) and add one each time. Prospects could also be included. But that might be more in a future offseason when there’s more time (could be a good one in August, after the prospect poll).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It sounds really interesting, I’m just not sure how it’ll work in practice. Plus it might be hard to know who to put at certain spots if their linemates are being voted on at the same time (like, maybe the guy who got my RW vote for line 1 wouldn’t have been who I would’ve picked had I known who the LW vote or something?) Maybe it’d be easier to just rank by position? Though that might be too easy/boring, particularly on C/D.

Yes, I think there are obvious limitations to this. Some might prefer Tex at C instead of wing, or Nick at RW while others want him at LW for a certain combination. I think we'd have to go into it knowing this and allow for as much flexibility as possible.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
You could always rank the non prospects. Might be fun. Might cause fights. I think we have a clear top 3, maybe 4. Then it gets interesting. How high do you rate the goalies? Which goalie is rated higher? Where do people rate Domi?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You could always rank the non prospects. Might be fun. Might cause fights. I think we have a clear top 3, maybe 4. Then it gets interesting. How high do you rate the goalies? Which goalie is rated higher? Where do people rate Domi?

This and @Long Live Lyle ’s idea are interesting. I like them.

But Monk and I spent all afternoon figuring out the best way to build a lineup. So we’ll start that... soon.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

yeah so maybe no season after all

The longer they don’t play the longer the revenues stay flat or non existent.

The longer revenues stay flat or non existent, the longer the salary cap stays flat.

I don’t pretend to know what is going on but the renegotiated early under circumstances that I’m sure have extended longer than anyone imagined because people don’t follow public health recommendations.

If there is a legitimate business concern with revenues and salaries, they can address it and fix it now or let it drag out much longer than it needs to and salaries will take the hit in the long run. Stars will still get their money, rookies will get their money. The “middle class” of hockey players will be the ones squeezed out.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don’t pretend to know what is going on but the renegotiated early under circumstances that I’m sure have extended longer than anyone imagined because people don’t follow public health recommendations.
I don't agree with this. No one expected this virus to be gone and arenas to be packed by the first of January. The bigger issue here is there's a point where the league is better off financially NOT playing a season than playing the 2021 season.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't agree with this. No one expected this virus to be gone and arenas to be packed by the first of January. The bigger issue here is there's a point where the league is better off financially NOT playing a season than playing the 2021 season.
Packed and partial attendance are 2 different things. And it could have been largely under control if you look at other countries who handled this far better. I seriously doubt they negotiated that last change under the assumptions all arenas would be empty and the US-Canadian border would still be closed for what looks like the '20-'21 entire season. Sadly incompetence led us to a point where I don't believe there will be any fans until maybe late in the season.

If you want to be honest, with player salaries and zero attendance, I don't see a scenario where it ever would be beneficial to actually play a season considering how much ticket sales provide as income.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He either has ZERO contacts in the front office (which I find very hard to believe) or is just mind-blowingly lazy on these things.

Since JD/Jarmo came in, nothing from the FO gets to Porty unless they want it to. A lot of people noticed a change when Tyler Wright got canned. I don't know if that was it, but it sure seems like he doesn't have "contacts" at least in the sense of someone who will divulge information without it being controlled by Jarmo. He has people he can call, I'm sure, but they don't say as much.

Another note here - the "FO" as we normally mean it is Jarmo's side of things. This latest correction to Porty is probably coming from business (Priest).

He probably shouldn't. Especially since the CBJ seemed to have given him a serious talking to over this.

That seems like an excessive way to put it. Are you looking at something other than Porty's apology? If it's just what he said on twitter I appreciate that Porty is just promptly correcting himself and not trying to cover his ass.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
That seems like an excessive way to put it. Are you looking at something other than Porty's apology? If it's just what he said on twitter I appreciate that Porty is just promptly correcting himself and not trying to cover his ass.

And to add to that, it's still possible what Porty said is true and the CBJ would just prefer their loyal fanbase, who pays for tickets and buys merchandise etc, doesn't know that.

I'm not much of an AP fan, but I can't quite understand the hate he gets around here, either.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Yeah, Porty's inside scoops definitely dried up when Jarmo took over. Unless Jarmo has something he wants out, he probably forwards Porty's calls to Ville Siren. Siren seems like a guy who would be impossible to get info from, even under threat of torture.

Or a fine glass of Koskenkorva.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not much of an AP fan, but I can't quite understand the hate he gets around here, either.

Same. I actually am a fan of his writing though. Not every beat reporter can pull off the long form beauties like Porty can. If people don't know what I'm talking about - look at the deep pieces on Jarmo or Panarin that everyone talks about, and look at who wrote them. It's a skill.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And to add to that, it's still possible what Porty said is true and the CBJ would just prefer their loyal fanbase, who pays for tickets and buys merchandise etc, doesn't know that.

I mean let's be real, we are a smaller market team. In no way whatsoever would anyone prefer to play in an empty arena. I would make the same assumption because on the surface I would think this organization would be bleeding money if they had to pay salaries with very little income. The NHL doesn't have huge TV deals like MLB and NFL. Fan dollars and ticket sales are important in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad