Speculation: Offseason Thread II: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What is the point of the regular season if ‘everyone’ makes the playoffs..
Something like that would also need a big renegotiation on the CBA since players only get paid for the regular season. You take 22 games off the regular season players make less money or ticket prices increase substantially to pay the salaries. 2 months of playoffs is plenty of time in the current format. 24 team playoffs would be almost 3 months.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Something like that would also need a big renegotiation on the CBA since players only get paid for the regular season. You take 22 games off the regular season players make less money or ticket prices increase substantially to pay the salaries. 2 months of playoffs is plenty of time in the current format. 24 team playoffs would be almost 3 months.
That's the rub. The owners will be losing money in regular season without fans, so they want an expanded playoffs.
The players want the regular season where they can make their contracted salaries.

That's why a lot of folks are worried about a season at all. If there is a season they will both have to give.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
TB
-----------------------
-----------------------
STL-PIT-CBJ
-----------------------
NSH-FLA
-----------------------
CHI
-----------------------
-----------------------
DET

TB is a lock. Detroit has no hope. Chicago and Pitt still have some of the best players in the game, but are not complete teams. St. Louis is solid, but they lost a core piece and their goalie situation is still suspect. Nashville and Florida have been better on paper than they have been on the ice recently. I like our chances in this division.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd agree about Pit, but how long has it been since 87 and 71 were both healthy for a season?

Malkin has always missed a lot of games but he's still close to the same player, Crosby meanwhile was just not the same player he used to be last year. His battle level and 200 ft game suffered. I can't rule out that he won't heal up though.

Reactions: Fro

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm hoping some progress is being made and players are starting to plan returns to Columbus accordingly. I saw in instagram that Elvis came back to town this weekend. I hope it is a good sign that others will too.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I don't even have a clue how many players are even in town working out right now. I think PLD spent a good part of the summer here in town based on some IG posts. Elvis just got in town this past weekend. It seems Cam and maybe Nick have been living in town for a good chunk of the off season. A "significant number" makes it sounds like a good chunk of people are in town working out.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
It's really horrendous in Franklin County right now. My entire family and I tested positive last week and we hardly ever go anywhere (we suspect we got it from in-laws who didnt know they were positive).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's really horrendous in Franklin County right now. My entire family and I tested positive last week and we hardly ever go anywhere (we suspect we got it from in-laws who didnt know they were positive).

Happened to me and my family as well two weeks ago

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Happened to me and my family as well two weeks ago

I won't lie that it is a scary time right now. My girlfriend is a teacher who is still in school with high school kids right now. I've been working from home since March. I'm really hoping that she doesn't end up bringing something home because of it. I'm not exactly in the physical condition of a young professional athlete. I have rheumatoid arthritis and a couple of other manageable conditions that I believe would put me in a high risk category. I've generally been able to avoid illnesses like the flu in my life. I'm really hoping I can avoid this and if I get it I can manage it without difficulty.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel very safe in my tight little bubble with my two roommates - none of us are going to see family this holiday season and no one ever goes anywhere. I'm not getting covid. The downside is that these two people have now driven me clinically batshit.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I feel very safe in my tight little bubble with my two roommates - none of us are going to see family this holiday season and no one ever goes anywhere. I'm not getting covid. The downside is that these two people have now driven me clinically batshit.

I mean we noticed in your posting but we weren’t sure we should say anything.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Sorry to hear this, DJ. Here’s hoping all of you get thru this as favorably as possible.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Gah. Here's hoping y'all will be feeling better soon.

We've been relatively lucky - we've had occasional family gatherings including some kids going to school and still haven't picked it up. But we've also been enforcing masks and social distancing at those gatherings. (The kids haven't minded because when the foam swords come out, they get to pretend they're ninjas.)

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah, I don’t know if I’d put Columbus above Pittsburgh with healthy Sid and Geno

Pittsburgh will be better this year. They got rid of Jack Johnson.

It’s called addition by subtracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad