Speculation: Offseason Thread #6 (Mod post #318)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
We should forget about both Stamkos and Shattenkirk.

Hedman is due to be a UFA next year. If he becomes a UFA, he's the guy you target. A much more complete player than Shattenkirk, and younger to boot.

Shattenkirk and Hedman shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

No way Tampa lets him get away. He's in for a hell of a pay day.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Shaw is my #1 target for the bottom 6

If he's not available than I'd go for Martin but I doubt he'll take 2M. Someone will cough up for than that I'm sure.

2M over 5 years is the same as $2.5M over 4 years money wise. I'd do it. We didn't overpay for Brian Boyle and look what it did to our 4th line (glass has something to with that but that's another story)

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
haha your probably right about his ask. 4yr. 10million probably does it. I dont know what I would do, I would probably give him that deal. TBH

That extra $1 million is another player to the roster though (player on ELC/4th liner/bottom pairing or 7th D). That money may come in hand if they indeed go all in for Stamkos.

Riley Nash and Buch/Fast/Lindberg etc or Martin.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
We should forget about both Stamkos and Shattenkirk.

Hedman is due to be a UFA next year. If he becomes a UFA, he's the guy you target. A much more complete player than Shattenkirk, and younger to boot.

we should forget about Stamkos and Shattenkirk bc there's no chance of that happening. But we should get our hopes up for Hedman?

I agree that Hedman is certifiable 1A player. No doubt about that.

Last edited:

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
That extra $1 million is another player to the roster though (player on ELC/4th liner/bottom pairing or 7th D). That money may come in hand if they indeed go all in for Stamkos.

Riley Nash and Buch/Fast/Lindberg etc or Martin.

Believe me I know. That's why Ive been adamant about not being able to give him anymore than 2 mill per. Im just saying if he's waiting on the rangers saying, I'll sign for 2.5. I probably give it to him, But thats why Gorton is the GM and not me.

But I guess the way I look at it is, Lindberg can center that 4th line once he's healthy. Fast is optimally a 4th line player. Fast-Lindberg-Martin works as a 4th line. two guys on ELC/second contracts and Martin as the one guy alittle overpaid for his position. I think Glass played well this year, I think he has a market. I think the rangers could move him, and then its basically like

Martin+1million in exchange for Glass's 1.5.

It fits reasonably well enough to do it.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
2M over 5 years is the same as $2.5M over 4 years money wise. I'd do it. We didn't overpay for Brian Boyle and look what it did to our 4th line (glass has something to with that but that's another story)

True.. You have to pay someone who will get the job done. Just trying to get by with scrubs never works out.

On that note.. Am I the only one who thinks Nieves will never make the big show?

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
It kinda surprises me that stamkos would be interested in playing here. I mean, if his team was toronto growing up why wouldnt he want to go their? Or if he only cares about money then wouldn't he make a lot more playing in florida? New york taxes are brutal. It just seems like he would have no reason to pick us

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
True.. You have to pay someone who will get the job done. Just trying to get by with scrubs never works out.

On that note.. Am I the only one who thinks Nieves will never make the big show?

That's what I'm sayin! Martin should be the staple of the 4th line. Build that line around him

Agree on nerives but i don't watch him much

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
It kinda surprises me that stamkos would be interested in playing here. I mean, if his team was toronto growing up why wouldnt he want to go their? Or if he only cares about money then wouldn't he make a lot more playing in florida? New york taxes are brutal. It just seems like he would have no reason to pick us

Maybe the kid wants to be the guy who comes to NY and helps win the city a cup.

Everyone in pro sports knows this simple truth. Nothing compares to what comes along with winning a championship in NYC. Having the respect of NYC and having the love of NYC are two different things. If your a key member of a sports championship in NYC, you feel the love the rest of your life. All these guys have to do is ask the guys who have done it before. Basketball, Baseball, Football, Hockey.

Lebron James may have the respect of NY, but he doesnt understand what it would be like to be loved by the city.

Last edited:

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
If Hedman got to UFA Id give him upwards of 11M. Way more valuable than Stankos IMO.

Definitely more valuable than stammer. Agreed. He won't make it. And if he didnt wanna sign with tampa they would trade his rights and someone else would give him the mega bucks

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

To much pressure playing for your hometown, especially in Canada

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn't touch Vanek AT ALL. The guy's had second and third chances. He's toast.

Just like Semin after his buy-out, I would not hesitate to give Vanek a 1m deal. Worst case scenario, we put him on waivers and bury the salary in the AHL if not claimed. The max amount that can be buried next season is 975k

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Why would we be looking at Stamkos? Did it leak that he would be interested in playing here?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Maybe the kid wants to be the guy who comes to NY and helps win the city a cup.

Everyone in pro sports knows this simple truth. No compares to the fallout of winning a championship in NYC. Having the respect of NYC and having the love of NYC are two different things. If your a key member of a sports championship in NYC, you feel the love the rest of your life. All these guys have to do is ask the guys who have done it before. Basketball, Baseball, Football, Hockey.

Lebron James may have the respect of NY, but he doesnt understand what it would be like to be loved by the city.

Isn't Martin engaged to Boomer Esiason's daughter? Maybe he wants to be on the good side of his father in law????? :D

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
the more i read about what Gorton had to say, especially today, the more i believe he'll stick to his guns. Which i think is a good thing

He's not going to make a deal that doesn't help the team. It's clear he wants change, but not at any cost. I can live with that, even if it takes a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad