Speculation: Offseason Thread #6 (Mod post #318)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Not so bold prediction based on current roster which surely won't be what's on ice in October:

Skjei starts the season on the right-side. Looks bad. Gets McIlrath treatment.

Holden in the mix now. Have to move Staal. Have to. Can they?

I believe they can and will.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
My Girardi - Staal solution +

What are best deals in sense of top offers?
Does anything top.....

1. w/Oilers
McD, 4.7, Klein 2.9, cap about 7.6, Rangers 2017 1st
for
Draisatil ELC .925, Yakimov .8425, Yakupov 2.5 expiring, Korpikowski 2.5 expiring, EDM 2017 1st
roughly 6.7 = close enough wash

Rationale: EDM wants top D; although this is not w/McD as a righty add they’d prefer, it is still a top 10 1LD, plus a legit top 4 who has spelled 1RD nicely when asked, Klein. Yaki they’d like to keep, but he is very green still at this point, and Yaku they were asking a third for. They are projects bordering cap dump and Korps is 100% cap dump. McD w/that contract = at least Draisatil. Klein = mid late 1st +. So for equalization, Oilers and Rangers swap next year’s 1sts to cover Klein. Although that leaves Edmonton a bit thin at pivot, they still have a 1-2 punch in McDavid + RNH, and with this deal, they have got their backline greatly improved: McD, Klefbom, Nurse is strong on the left, and Sekera and Klein are top 4 righty.

Rangers lose their captain, and a solid contributor, but get a power C so now you have height w/Hayes. Yaku is one year free look, give it a shot. Yakimov is a behemoth; if he can skate and actually play... wow, although that is a huge if which remains to be seen. Korpikov is buyout fodder. Rangers starting to rebuild which Oilers presumably continue, NY gets an advantage with the pick flip.

2 W/RW
A) Howard $ wise 3 years remaining at 5,291,666, is Girardi territory. That’s a guy who is dead $, they may buy out. Girardi is an injury waiting to happen, but if he plays reduced mins on 3rd pair, that could work. Would he waive for Hockeytown? Worth discussing. Rangers could try to up JH’s game with our secret weapon - coach - in goal. Maybe move him when a team has an injury and is desperate. Worst case, we moved a NMC off the roster. NY sweetens the deal by dealing Raanta, 1 yr 1.0 reduced by half to .5

B) Staal 5.7 reduced 2.7 to 4.0
to Detroit for
Jurco .9, Anthony Mantha, .863,333 x 2, and cap dump D Brendan Smith, 2.75 expiring,
we can consider an alternate if not long term.

It would be nice to consider additional matches from NY’s Fs, but I don’t see a match since Dylan Larkin is off limits.

3.0 w/Sens
Brassard 5.0 cap hit effectively less
for
2016 Ott 1st 12th OA + 2017 Ott 1st unprotected and RFA rights to Hoffman

Rationale: Ottawa wants Brass to come home. Although 5 per on books, payout is actually less.

Rangers get 2 great picks, even though they now have to wait. Hoffman is in play for now. Sens eat all or most of the 5.0 cap hit

4 Nash to highest bidder — w/Bruins?
There are multiple possibilities; here is one:
Nash + rights to Hoffman
for
Chara + J Hayes + Macalvoy (2016 1st round pick)

Nash and Chara have 2 years each, first yr similar $, then Chara drops to like 5.
Nash younger, better, not a 35+ contract, so worth a LOT more.
Nash + Hoffman auto for 25+ goals commands
adding Hayes + Macalvoy.

Fits Bruins needs a little better, they move a structural hard cap contract.
Chara can no longer really skate, but while no more 1LD, can do 4LW, and both clear the crease on D and cause commotion in front of net on offense, so that is a fit w/NY. Hayes is more all around, plays better D, is more cost controlled
And of course, the RD 1st round selection is key for the future.

5 Stepan to highest bidder
Stepan earns a NMC if he is here after next season. THAT can NOT be allowed.
contestants include
Wild for Dumba +
Canes for D, pref RD, maybe Pesce and Murray and pick?
BJs for something acceptable (based on Werenski)
Flyers (for young D)

At this point, I think with a strong add we might be able to swing
EDM 2017 1st + JT Miller RFA, + Stepan 6.5 + Yakupov 2.5 + Jurco around 1.
Around 10 + in cap hit
for
Hanafin ELC 925k x2 + Pesce 809,166 x 2 + Murphy RFA,
and the following cap dumps: Bickel, 4m + Skinner, 5.75m around 10.

6 mo moves:
----
possible Helm signing, 1 yr only, avoid expansion protection, overpay slightly if nec
possible Demer deal 1 yr only, avoid expansion protection, overpay slightly if nec
wait for Shattenkirk for free

resulting new NY lineup:

Kreider - Draisatil - Buchnevich
Skinner - Hayes - Hayes
Jensen/Mantha - Helm - Stalberg
Chara - Nieves - Hrivik -

Hanafin Pesce
Skjei McIlrath
Graves Murphy

obviously, if Shattenkirk wants to come here after next season and it only costs $, we have options to move somebody and recover assets.

We are now ahead of the curve on salary, draft picks, and expansion!

LMFAOOOOO! :yo: I love it. You completely forgot about your weekly trading AV to Ottawa proposals. Also are we picking up the mortgage left on Marc Staal's house or paying for Landon Girardi's education until he's 18. Why aren't we trading Jim Ramsey either?!?!?!?

:sarcasm:

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Not really. It has been mentioned by me and on at least one Detroit forum. I guess it might mean something good in a way though... I think Detroit will get much better up front - depending on how things roll

In your personal opinion, would you be content with the rumored return?

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
While watching the Draft last night My wife possibly came up with the best line of the off season so far....she said " I have shoes older than Arizona GM . " LOL....I thought it was funny . :laugh:

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
LOL...she holds the trump card here for hockey....her nephew had his name engraved in 07 on Lord Stanley and her cousin in 2011 with the Bruins.... Ric Jackman & Adam McQuaid....

The woman can have whatever she wants then!
Gotta be weird as the guy in the household and she trumps you in the hockey department!

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I'd pay Matt Martin 2mill per over 4 years. He's not Prust. And that's not a knock on Prust. Prust laid it on the line more than Martin does, but he also took a bigger beating doing it and is not as naturally gifted a physical athlete as Martin. Prust barely made it to UFA in one piece. Martin is going strong. He has another 4 years, no doubt. Id love him on the team in a 1.75-2m slot.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
But you can't afford to pay $2 million plus for a fourth liner.

Rather pay $1.5 for Riley Nash.

If your gonna pay Riley Nash 1.5 and Martin would sign for an extra 500K per, its a no brainer. Martin makes the rangers a tougher team to play against.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I'd pay Matt Martin 2mill per over 4 years. He's not Prust. And that's not a knock on Prust. Prust laid it on the line more than Martin does, but he also took a bigger beating doing it and is not as naturally gifted a physical athlete as Martin. Prust barely made it to UFA in one piece. Martin is going strong. He has another 4 years, no doubt. Id love him on the team in a 1.75-2m slot.

Hate Martin on NYI. However, he's an excellent 4th liner and for the right deal i'd be happy to have him here.

Can you imagine the crap he would get from NYI fans? Yikes

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
"We are close on a few things that didn't materialize today"

Yes make something happen, need something to talk about before UFA

my favorite mention was. "thats our priority to get better." and under his breath he then said "way better"

Gorton is a very capable GM. you guys knocking him will be eating crow years from now.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Some idiot is gonna fork up at least 2.5- 2.7 for Matt on a 4 year deal. Probably looking something similar to what Brandon Prust got a few years back.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
It's not. I know for a fact the rangers are interested in him and I also know he has interest in playing for the Rangers. I can confirm the interest is mutual and real

I remember this poster posting his sauces once before. Happened to see his post before the MODS took it down. I tend to believe this poster

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

I'm all about adding some grit to the line up. Probably more so than anyone in this forum and I do like Martin but also feel like he's been riding the coat tails of the much more skilled Cizikas and Clutterbuck.

He's also going to be looking for a Cizikas type pay day.

Is he really worth it?

Shaw is IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad