Speculation: Offseason Thread #6 (Mod post #318)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
My Girardi - Staal solution +

What are best deals in sense of top offers?
Does anything top.....

1. w/Oilers
McD, 4.7, Klein 2.9, cap about 7.6, Rangers 2017 1st
for
Draisatil ELC .925, Yakimov .8425, Yakupov 2.5 expiring, Korpikowski 2.5 expiring, EDM 2017 1st
roughly 6.7 = close enough wash

Rationale: EDM wants top D; although this is not w/McD as a righty add they’d prefer, it is still a top 10 1LD, plus a legit top 4 who has spelled 1RD nicely when asked, Klein. Yaki they’d like to keep, but he is very green still at this point, and Yaku they were asking a third for. They are projects bordering cap dump and Korps is 100% cap dump. McD w/that contract = at least Draisatil. Klein = mid late 1st +. So for equalization, Oilers and Rangers swap next year’s 1sts to cover Klein. Although that leaves Edmonton a bit thin at pivot, they still have a 1-2 punch in McDavid + RNH, and with this deal, they have got their backline greatly improved: McD, Klefbom, Nurse is strong on the left, and Sekera and Klein are top 4 righty.

Rangers lose their captain, and a solid contributor, but get a power C so now you have height w/Hayes. Yaku is one year free look, give it a shot. Yakimov is a behemoth; if he can skate and actually play... wow, although that is a huge if which remains to be seen. Korpikov is buyout fodder. Rangers starting to rebuild which Oilers presumably continue, NY gets an advantage with the pick flip.

2 W/RW
A) Howard $ wise 3 years remaining at 5,291,666, is Girardi territory. That’s a guy who is dead $, they may buy out. Girardi is an injury waiting to happen, but if he plays reduced mins on 3rd pair, that could work. Would he waive for Hockeytown? Worth discussing. Rangers could try to up JH’s game with our secret weapon - coach - in goal. Maybe move him when a team has an injury and is desperate. Worst case, we moved a NMC off the roster. NY sweetens the deal by dealing Raanta, 1 yr 1.0 reduced by half to .5

B) Staal 5.7 reduced 2.7 to 4.0
to Detroit for
Jurco .9, Anthony Mantha, .863,333 x 2, and cap dump D Brendan Smith, 2.75 expiring,
we can consider an alternate if not long term.

It would be nice to consider additional matches from NY’s Fs, but I don’t see a match since Dylan Larkin is off limits.

3.0 w/Sens
Brassard 5.0 cap hit effectively less
for
2016 Ott 1st 12th OA + 2017 Ott 1st unprotected and RFA rights to Hoffman

Rationale: Ottawa wants Brass to come home. Although 5 per on books, payout is actually less.

Rangers get 2 great picks, even though they now have to wait. Hoffman is in play for now. Sens eat all or most of the 5.0 cap hit

4 Nash to highest bidder — w/Bruins?
There are multiple possibilities; here is one:
Nash + rights to Hoffman
for
Chara + J Hayes + Macalvoy (2016 1st round pick)

Nash and Chara have 2 years each, first yr similar $, then Chara drops to like 5.
Nash younger, better, not a 35+ contract, so worth a LOT more.
Nash + Hoffman auto for 25+ goals commands
adding Hayes + Macalvoy.

Fits Bruins needs a little better, they move a structural hard cap contract.
Chara can no longer really skate, but while no more 1LD, can do 4LW, and both clear the crease on D and cause commotion in front of net on offense, so that is a fit w/NY. Hayes is more all around, plays better D, is more cost controlled
And of course, the RD 1st round selection is key for the future.

5 Stepan to highest bidder
Stepan earns a NMC if he is here after next season. THAT can NOT be allowed.
contestants include
Wild for Dumba +
Canes for D, pref RD, maybe Pesce and Murray and pick?
BJs for something acceptable (based on Werenski)
Flyers (for young D)

At this point, I think with a strong add we might be able to swing
EDM 2017 1st + JT Miller RFA, + Stepan 6.5 + Yakupov 2.5 + Jurco around 1.
Around 10 + in cap hit
for
Hanafin ELC 925k x2 + Pesce 809,166 x 2 + Murphy RFA,
and the following cap dumps: Bickel, 4m + Skinner, 5.75m around 10.

6 mo moves:
----
possible Helm signing, 1 yr only, avoid expansion protection, overpay slightly if nec
possible Demer deal 1 yr only, avoid expansion protection, overpay slightly if nec
wait for Shattenkirk for free

resulting new NY lineup:

Kreider - Draisatil - Buchnevich
Skinner - Hayes - Hayes
Jensen/Mantha - Helm - Stalberg
Chara - Nieves - Hrivik -

Hanafin Pesce
Skjei McIlrath
Graves Murphy

obviously, if Shattenkirk wants to come here after next season and it only costs $, we have options to move somebody and recover assets.

We are now ahead of the curve on salary, draft picks, and expansion!

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
It's not. I know for a fact the rangers are interested in him and I also know he has interest in playing for the Rangers. I can confirm the interest is mutual and real

Then he better want to play for less otherwise the interest in Stamkos is not real. Unless they end up not,having to retain much on any Staal or Nash trade.

And to be fair, TFP has been pretty bad rumor wise for the last several years.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Holden is going to play so much more than Skjei next season I cannot wait.

Trade makes no sense if we don't move Staal.

Better ways of doing business.

Youth movement!

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Then he better want to play for less otherwise the interest in Stamkos is not real. Unless they end up not,having to retain much on any Staal or Nash trade.

And to be fair, TFP has been pretty bad rumor wise for the last several years.

Im just speaking in terms of this particular rumor. It's the truth. I heard they end up with both Martin and stamkos

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I hope they enjoy chasing the puck around their own zone. Not sure who's going to get these guys the puck the way this roster is constructed right now.

Oh Gorton is going to find some compromising pictures of the Blues front office staff and they will accept a Nash for Shattenkirk trade.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Holden is going to play so much more than Skjei next season I cannot wait.

Trade makes no sense if we don't move Staal.

Better ways of doing business.

Youth movement!

If it was McIlrath you were talking about, I'd agree with you. But AV has already shown more trust in Skjei than he ever has with McIlrath.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If it was McIlrath you were talking about, I'd agree with you. But AV has already shown more trust in Skjei than he ever has with McIlrath.

Not so bold prediction based on current roster which surely won't be what's on ice in October:

Skjei starts the season on the right-side. Looks bad. Gets McIlrath treatment.

Holden in the mix now. Have to move Staal. Have to. Can they?

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
You have a message

Spill the beans already!

Generally I think Gorton did a pretty good job with the draft, considering what he had to work with. Glad he didn't do any stupid moves just for the sake of making moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad