Speculation: Offseason Thread #3: Literally Summer / Nothing Is Superior to Something Dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Here's the thing... And it's interesting. I wonder if this also happened in baseball after Sabremetrics went wild... @-31- help!

Demers will probably end up being able to create a bit of a splash in the market because he does things well that are necessary for "new hockey"

• He pushes play
  • He generates offense
  • His partners do better with him than without him

He's also a right-handed d-man, which is a commodity these days.

The thing is though, is that the aspects of Demers's game that make him attractive should make a GM take a step back and say: "Hm. Maybe Demers is popular because he's a bit of a name, now. He is a growing star in the analytics community. He's on the ice for more shots for than shots against. etc.... "

But the thing about analytics is, that these GMs should say to themselves: "okay, can I get a guy who also does those things but for less term and AAV?"

N
A
K
L
A
D
A
L

EDIT -

So, does HF has some autocorrect feature that changes s-a-b-e-r to s-a-b-r-e? Because, here's a screenshot of me editing my post to make it spell right, and as you can clearly see above, that change did not take...

a12j9lk.png

Yeah, one of the OG Buffalo admins put that in because he didnt want peoplw to misspell Sabres.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
gorton pick up right where slats left off. asleep at the wheel again. there goes our only signing

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
They must know they can sign him...believe he is good friends with Eichel

Even if they're not positive, it's a smart move.

Buffalo has done the rebuild largely the right way. Good young pieces. He can step right into the top 6 and probably play with Eichel, hockey crazed city without the pressure of a New York or Boston or Toronto. Now they have almost 2 months to sell him on that.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
gorton pick up right where slats left off. asleep at the wheel again. there goes our only signing

Buffalo 3rd round pick is a lot higher than the Rangers. And if the Rangers couldn't sign Vesey, they'd have nothing to show before the 4th round.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Listened to the podcast, and I'm not surprised we haven't seen any action. Pierre says
I know of one team that is prepared to move an established player and eat half of his salary...
I know of one decision – or, uh, some conversation that was pretty substantial yesterday...
Those are the kind of talks that are probably going on right now.
He cites that as an example of the "type of feelers" being put out by GMs. There was no real certainty that there that any deal would happen today that I heard.

And why would it? If you're doing a deal centered primarily on futures, unless a team blows you away with a preemptive offer, your best bet is to keep working the phones to try to get teams to up their offers all this week.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

We are picking first at #81
The Minnesota pick they traded was #76
What would have been the sweetener and where will he sign in the end?
Somebody knows something

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
True...

Why not wait to do it for free? Seems like a pity / goodwill move. Good for Nashville though, sucks but they salvaged the situation.

I mean I guess, but why let others take a crack at him? A 3rd rounder, for Buffalo, is a small price to pay to get him signed now. Murray taking care of business.

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ

Yea he's totally asleep at the wheel when by many reports the Rangers and Gorton have been the most aggressive and eager to make trades. The NHL doesn't revolve around the Rangers. Other teams can make deals. Eichel and Vesey also happen to be good friends so there's that connection. There's no guarantee he signs either. Buffalo has a ton of picks and might of felt it is worth the gamble to have all this extra time to try and convince him to sign there.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
goddamn some of you people need to free up cap space to buy a sense of humor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad