Speculation: Offseason Thread #3: Literally Summer / Nothing Is Superior to Something Dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Actually someone is going to be extremely happy

3yWixJp.png

Why would you compare him to Girardi? 5.5m for a guy who scores 21 points and has some injury history is not a good deal. On top of that, he will get 5-6 years easily.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I had Demers pegged @ 5per for 5 years. That he's asking for $5.5m doesn't surprise me.

Guy can push play forward, and he's right-handed, someone will give him that contract. Much to the opposite of what I imagine most people here feel, it's a shame he can't get it from the Rangers.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Why would you compare him to Girardi? 5.5m for a guy who scores 21 points and has some injury history is not a good deal. On top of that, he will get 5-6 years easily.

If Demers asks for 5.5x6 as a GM I would just come back with Stralman as a comparable and he signed 4.5x5 at the same age.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
:coyotes
Derek Stepan
Tanner Glass
ARI 4th round pick

:rangers
7th OA
Martin Hanzal
2nd round pick (Not theirs but their compensation pick, don't know the number.)

And then

:cbj
7th OA pick
Kevin Klein
Jesper Fast

:rangers
3rd OA pick
Scott Hartnell

Don't think we send enough to Columbus but wanted to try a deal without giving up Kreider/Hayes/Miller. And I don't like the first deal without completion of the second.

I'd rather get more value out of Arizona than dump a contract on them. Glass only has one more year, so dump him in the AHL or ride it out. He also makes less than his cap hit, so maybe there's some actual value there now.

Dealing with CBJ depends entirely on how eager they are to move down and take Brown. I think it's 99.9% certain they just stay at 3, but I guess you never know.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
what did girardi's stats look like 4 years ago at 28?

Ta8Rt9P.png

5.5m for a guy - check
~20 points per season - check
has some injury history - check
5-6 years - check

Sounds like you just described Dan Girardi

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Honestly I would think about just #7 and Hanzal for Stepan. Take Jost at 7. Hanzal to help short term, or even to be flipped.
When healthy (obviously not often enough) Hanzal is a really solid player. Can absorb the tougher minutes to free up Brassard.

I don't want to deal Stepan but that's the kind of deal that makes you think.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Lol why did you compare him to Girardi? That makes no sense.

Presumably due to the similar salaries.

I'd rather get more value out of Arizona than dump a contract on them. Glass only has one more year, so dump him in the AHL or ride it out. He also makes less than his cap hit, so maybe there's some actual value there now.

Dealing with CBJ depends entirely on how eager they are to move down and take Brown. I think it's 99.9% certain they just stay at 3, but I guess you never know.

I hear ya. I just don't think they'd give up any of Strome/Dvorak/Tkachuk. If that means there's no deal to be made, that is fine with me. You can't **** up a prospective Stepan trade. Would be devastating to the organization.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Adding Fischer too would be quite the coup.

Most likely we end up as disappointed on Friday as we did last year with the Talbot chatter.

Yeah that's probably the case. Too bad I'm already thinking of ways to maneuver the #7 pick into possibly adding a 2nd rounder as well. It's the perfect pick to get someone to try and leap-frog Buffalo to get their choice of a defensemen.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I hear ya. I just don't think they'd give up any of Strome/Dvorak/Tkachuk. If that means there's no deal to be made, that is fine with me. You can't **** up a prospective Stepan trade. Would be devastating to the organization.

I think Fischer might be the guy that you settle for, but end up getting big value from. Like I said to Swayze, I'd deal Stepan for Hanzal, Fischer and #7 and be pretty jacked up about it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Here's the thing... And it's interesting. I wonder if this also happened in baseball after Sabermetrics went wild... @-31- help!

Demers will probably end up being able to create a bit of a splash in the market because he does things well that are necessary for "new hockey"

• He pushes play
  • He generates offense
  • His partners do better with him than without him

He's also a right-handed d-man, which is a commodity these days.

The thing is though, is that the aspects of Demers's game that make him attractive should make a GM take a step back and say: "Hm. Maybe Demers is popular because he's a bit of a name, now. He is a growing star in the analytics community. He's on the ice for more shots for than shots against. etc.... "

But the thing about analytics is, that these GMs should say to themselves: "okay, can I get a guy who also does those things but for less term and AAV?"

N
A
K
L
A
D
A
L

EDIT -

So, does HF has some autocorrect feature that changes s-a-b-e-r to s-a-b-r-e? Because, here's a screenshot of me editing my post to make it spell right, and as you can clearly see above, that change did not take...

a12j9lk.png

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
5.5m for a guy - check
~20 points per season - check
has some injury history - check
5-6 years - check

Sounds like you just described Dan Girardi

When Girardi signed his extension he had only missed FIVE games his entire career to that point due to injury (he played 569 out of 574 total games).

Even still, he's only missed 14 games in his entire career total. He's played 725 of 739.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00