Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'll believe it when I see it from Puljujarvi. He's a long way from being even remotely close to replacing Eberle. And that still leaves no one for Maroon.

I thought JP was turning it around already playing next to Draisaitl and Lucic. I am skeptical of late season pushes, but in general I think that our forward core started to evolve into something great this year, and much better than it was in 2016-17

RNH is the Maroon replacement, which I said already. He's also far better than Maroon. Our 2016-17 team had a very top heavy forward core, with McDavid and Draisaitl carrying things, and Maroon doing a good job but basically benefiting from being next to incredible talent. Then there was the always disappointing Lucic-RNH-Eberle line, a third line with a revolving door at center, and a passable 4th line. Klef and Lars were heroic, as was Talbot.

In our 2018 team, we have RNH-McDavid-Rattie, and Rattie would be the new Maroon in principle there, and gambling with him is better than paying Maroon, which could cost us RNH down the road. Having Drai as the permanent 2C is simply the correct move if we want to be a legit playoff threat, and having Strome nail down the 3C spot is great too. Not to mention the emergence of Nurse and Khaira, who were not great yet in 2016-17. Overall, it's a great skeleton for JP to develop in. He will have a steady center no matter what line he goes to.

Basically, if you put 2016-17 Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, and Talbot behind the 2018 forward core, with the 2018 Nurse, I think it would be a far better team than the one that lost in game 7 to the Ducks.

Reactions: PulYou and shoop

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I thought JP was turning it around already playing next to Draisaitl and Lucic. I am skeptical of late season pushes, but in general I think that our forward core started to evolve into something great this year, and much better than it was in 2016-17

RNH is the Maroon replacement, which I said already. He's also far better than Maroon. Our 2016-17 team had a very top heavy forward core, with McDavid and Draisaitl carrying things, and Maroon doing a good job but basically benefiting from being next to incredible talent. Then there was the always disappointing Lucic-RNH-Eberle line, a third line with a revolving door at center, and a passable 4th line. Klef and Lars were heroic, as was Talbot.

In our 2018 team, we have RNH-McDavid-Rattie, and Rattie would be the new Maroon in principle there, and gambling with him is better than paying Maroon, which could cost us RNH down the road. Having Drai as the permanent 2C is simply the correct move if we want to be a legit playoff threat, and having Strome nail down the 3C spot is great too. Not to mention the emergence of Nurse and Khaira, who were not great yet in 2016-17. Overall, it's a great skeleton for JP to develop in. He will have a steady center no matter what line he goes to.

Basically, if you put 2016-17 Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, and Talbot behind the 2018 forward core, with the 2018 Nurse, I think it would be a far better team than the one that lost in game 7 to the Ducks.
I didn't feel a simple 'Like' was enough to show how great this post is. I think you're bang on, the forward core is a pair of 3rd line wingers or a 3RW and 4C(depending where they want to play Khaira) away from being a really solid group. The big thing is going to be bouncebacks from Klef, Sekera and Talbot; if they can do that they'll be right back near the top of the Pacific.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Just to get a general sense of opinion on Puljujarvi, would you guys trade him for Kapanen?

Value only.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Puljujarvi was ice cold the final 3 months of the year. He didn't have a late season push of any kind.

And RNH can't be the Maroon replacement because he was already here. This team is down two top 6 wingers. That is objective fact. You've just moved around Drai and RNH. You're just shuffling chairs. We still haven't added any top 6 players to make up for the loss of the two we've moved on from.

Pulju and Rattie... you gotta be kidding me thinking that is going to work as our top 2 RWers.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I can't tell if you're serious.

Kapanen has the speed and 2-Way game to play with McDavid. He's been on the Leafs 4th line since he's been called up, and in the AHL he's over a point per game. More than what can be said for Puljujarvi...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Puljujarvi was ice cold the final 3 months of the year. He didn't have a late season push of any kind.

And RNH can't be the Maroon replacement because he was already here. This team is down two top 6 wingers. That is objective fact. You've just moved around Drai and RNH. You're just shuffling chairs. We still haven't added any top 6 players to make up for the loss of the two we've moved on from.

Pulju and Rattie... you gotta be kidding me thinking that is going to work as our top 2 RWers.

Hopefully they pick up a stopgap and eventually Yamamoto takes one of those spots.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Save March of 2017, the Oilers did not have a 2line at all in 16-17. Whatever internal options plays in that spot, and Puljujarvi does seem to be the guy to start (barring a trade), you won't need to replace both Eberle and Maroon to replicate any aspect of 16-17.

You just need to be better 5v4 and find someone for 2LW.

Kapanen has the speed and 2-Way game to play with McDavid. He's been on the Leafs 4th line since he's been called up, and in the AHL he's over a point per game. More than what can be said for Puljujarvi...

This is pretty entirely pointless since McDavid tilts the ice so hard, he could play with the worst defensive forwards in the league and come out ahead on a regular basis.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

24 points in 28 games is not over a point per game

He's also 2 years older than Puljujarvi.

At the same age as Puljujarvi is now, Kapanen put up 25 points in 44 games down in the AHL and didn't have a point in 9 games in the NHL.

Reactions: McTrashBoat

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hopefully they pick up a stopgap and eventually Yamamoto takes one of those spots.
Hell, hopefully Puljujarvi lights it up. I'd be thrilled.

But banking on it happening this upcoming season after it hasn't the past two is throwing good money after bad. Ditto with counting on Rattie being a long term fit with McDavid.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I agree that RW looks suspect, but the priority is the defense, so until that is fixed, I'm okay with giving Rattie another shot. Also, yes JP finished very strong. The Lucic-Draisaitl-JP was doing well and gaining tons of confidence. The offense would come eventually. At any rate, it's time for JP to graduate permanently. Every single team in the league would do the same. At some point you take your blue chip prospect and bet the team on him.

This is the ideal: we make a big trade for a Dman early, and when the dust settles we have the time and cap space to upgrade on Rattie. I don't think Rattie is so bad considering he at least plays smart and has chemistry with McDavid. He really could be our next Maroon.

Reactions: PulYou

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Improving special teams would be huge as would at least average NHL goaltending. Beyond that a RH point shot is a must as are some replacements for the likes of Slepyshev, Maroon, Pakarinen, etc. One of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto needs to step up big this season and at least flirt with 50 points.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree that RW looks suspect, but the priority is the defense, so until that is fixed, I'm okay with giving Rattie another shot. Also, yes JP finished very strong. The Lucic-Draisaitl-JP was doing well and gaining tons of confidence. The offense would come eventually. At any rate, it's time for JP to graduate permanently. Every single team in the league would do the same. At some point you take your blue chip prospect and bet the team on him.

This is the ideal: we make a big trade for a Dman early, and when the dust settles we have the time and cap space to upgrade on Rattie. I don't think Rattie is so bad considering he at least plays smart and has chemistry with McDavid. He really could be our next Maroon.

This line wasn't a thing.

The trio played ~45 minutes together this season. Three games all year did they spend for more than 10 minutes together.

January 20
January 23
March 14

JP ended the season frigidly cold.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Improving special teams would be huge as would at least average NHL goaltending. Beyond that a RH point shot is a must as are some replacements for the likes of Slepyshev, Maroon, Pakarinen, etc. One of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto needs to step up big this season and at least flirt with 50 points.

Regarding the bold, what if we just didn't play McDavid on his off-wing on the PP?

Mirror what the Jets do on their top PP.

Wheeler, Laine, Byfuglien and Scheifele are all right shots. The only left shot on the unit is Stastny and he is their net front player.

Wheeler is the QB playing on the right half boards on his natural side. He's not an option for the one-timer, but by playing on his natural wing it opens up Buff, Scheifele and Laine all for the one-time option.

For the Oilers do the same but set up on the opposite side. McDavid (Wheeler) plays his natural side on the half-boards. You have Klefbom (Buff) at the top, Drai (Laine) on the other side and Nuge (Scheifele) as the bumper. Then throw whoever you want as the net front guy. Pulju or Strome in the spot letting them drift back away from the net would open up a one time option from the other side of the ice.

I believe the Devils did something similar with Hall this year on the Devils and I think it worked fairly well for them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Regarding the bold, what if we just didn't play McDavid on his off-wing on the PP?

Mirror what the Jets do on their top PP.

Wheeler, Laine, Byfuglien and Scheifele are all right shots. The only left shot on the unit is Stastny and he is their net front player.

Wheeler is the QB playing on the right half boards on his natural side. He's not an option for the one-timer, but by playing on his natural wing it opens up Buff, Scheifele and Laine all for the one-time option.

For the Oilers do the same but set up on the opposite side. McDavid (Wheeler) plays his natural side on the half-boards. You have Klefbom (Buff) at the top, Drai (Laine) on the other side and Nuge (Scheifele) as the bumper. Then throw whoever you want as the net front guy. Pulju or Strome in the spot letting them drift back away from the net would open up a one time option from the other side of the ice.

I believe the Devils did something similar with Hall this year on the Devils and I think it worked fairly well for them.

Interesting thought. I can't imagine that it would be worse than what we were subjected to watch this season 5 on 4.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Puljujarvi shouldn't be slotted any higher than 3RW to start this season. He's not ready for top 6 minutes.

Yamamoto needs to start in the AHL.

This team needs a winger for Draisaitl badly, even a Vanek type until Yam/Pulj is ready. I'll assume Lucic will be on his LW but knowing TMac he'll put him with McDavid for 40 games first.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Puljujarvi shouldn't be slotted any higher than 3RW to start this season. He's not ready for top 6 minutes.

This team needs a winger for Draisaitl badly, even a Vanek type until Yam/Pulj is ready. I'll assume Lucic will be on his LW but knowing TMac he'll put him with McDavid for 40 games first.
I agree they should bring in an older safety net winger, but I think its a little narrow minded to say that a) Puljujarvi should start the season on the 3rd line, and b) Yamamoto should start in the AHL. You get what you earn from your play in training camp/preseason. If Puljujarvi looks like the best option for the top 6 in training camp he should get that spot to start the year, similarly if Yamamoto looks NHL ready and better than other options then he should make the team out of camp.

Its impossible to say at this point if either are ready for those roles, but its also crazy to completely rule it out. Every year young players around the league make drastic improvements and adjustments over the summer and show up to camp significantly better than the year before. We'll have to wait and see what they look like come September.

Reactions: Cypress and PulYou

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Lucic - Strome - Pulju was a line

Someone - Draisaitl - Random was the last 3 months

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
I had positive discussion with Canucks fans about Baertschi for 40th OA. Would be pretty decent at the 2lw spot next to Drai. Thoughts?

North

Jun 25, 2009
I had positive discussion with Canucks fans about Baertschi for 40th OA. Would be pretty decent at the 2lw spot next to Drai. Thoughts?

I'm sure they'd take a second rounder for Baertschi. I wouldn't pay that though.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006

I agree they should bring in an older safety net winger, but I think its a little narrow minded to say that a) Puljujarvi should start the season on the 3rd line, and b) Yamamoto should start in the AHL. You get what you earn from your play in training camp/preseason. If Puljujarvi looks like the best option for the top 6 in training camp he should get that spot to start the year, similarly if Yamamoto looks NHL ready and better than other options then he should make the team out of camp.

Its impossible to say at this point if either are ready for those roles, but its also crazy to completely rule it out. Every year young players around the league make drastic improvements and adjustments over the summer and show up to camp significantly better than the year before. We'll have to wait and see what they look like come September.

I think you’re both right to an extent.

Pulju and Yama don’t need to be gifted spots, but they sure as hell deserve a chance to earn them.

Yamamoto looked good at times last year ~ he wasn’t a world beater, but he didn’t look terribly out of place. I’d like to see he gets the opportunity to move up and down and in and out of the line up, as play dictates.

This is a big year for Puljujarvi. He’s got the tools, so it would be nice to see him get some looks if his play is up to snuff.

A winger that can develop some chemistry with Drai is a definite need. I’d love to see a Drai and Lucic pair get a look to develop chemistry. I could see that pair dominating the boards down low. Though, to making it work might involve Drai playing a more physical dump and chase style. I think Lucic needs a system that gets him separating bodies from pucks and mucking it up, and I’d love to see Drai take advantage of the havoc.

If Drai-Lucic can develoo chemistry and have success, then along with McDavid-RNH, the top two LW-C pairings would be set. Yamamoto and Puljujarvi should definitely get looks on those wings, but the spots shouldn’t be gifted too them.

I guess I should clarify, I also don’t think Lucic should be written in ink on a line with Drai either. I believe Lucic needs to be on a line that plays to crash and bang, if that’s not going to happen on Drai’s line then having him with Strome might be better

Picking up a winger with potential or history of playing in the top 6 would be ideal if there’s one that fits the budget. Though, more for an extra option to click and become a pair with Drai as a LW or RW.

Reactions: Cypress

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I'm sure they'd take a second rounder for Baertschi. I wouldn't pay that though.

If the Oil can get an actual NHL player with some skill and ability with their 2nd round pick, then by all means do it. Their track record at the draft has been totally pathetic and incompetent. Adding a Baertschi would be the best thing they've ever done with a second pick...

Looking at the Jets one sees just how far into the abyss the Oilers are... Jets have premium prospects at ALL positions in the AHL and overseas... The Oilers have nothing and with the exception of one player, have a bunch of question marks. Vegas shows what heart and compete level and good coaching can bring. The oilers fail on those levels as well. Really watching these playoffs is a huge wake up call for me, as this Oil team is so far from being competitive.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
A guy we could potentially watch when we are talking about Puljujarvi is Mikko Rantanen with Colorado. Both Big finish RW. Rantanen's first 2 years in the league were o points in 9 games. 35 points in 75 games then broke out this year with 84 points on Mckinnons wing, at the age of 21. Jesse will be playing this season as a 20 year old still. I think its best to hold onto him and put him in a spot to succeed. Which means not on the 3rd line with lucic and strome. I don't see why we don't just saddle him to RNH and Connor. It doesn't matter who we play with those 2 so why not put a kid there that we are trying to develop ane get his confidence up. He has the size and speed to play with those 2.

Reactions: PulYou and LTIR

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If the Oil can get an actual NHL player with some skill and ability with their 2nd round pick, then by all means do it. Their track record at the draft has been totally pathetic and incompetent. Adding a Baertschi would be the best thing they've ever done with a second pick...

Looking at the Jets one sees just how far into the abyss the Oilers are... Jets have premium prospects at ALL positions in the AHL and overseas... The Oilers have nothing and with the exception of one player, have a bunch of question marks. Vegas shows what heart and compete level and good coaching can bring. The oilers fail on those levels as well. Really watching these playoffs is a huge wake up call for me, as this Oil team is so far from being competitive.

First on Winnipeg. This is a core that has been together for a long time and just won its first playoff game this season. I'm thoroughly impressed, but until they win a couple cups, lets not hold them up to a gold standard. We were 1 win away (or decent reffing away) from being right where they are last season.

Their depth however is quite impressive and it is once again a testament to the importance of patience with drafting and developing. Chiarelli is at least good there. Next year is the first year I've ever been excited about the depth of our farm team.

We need some right wingers. We could panic, or we could be patient with Pulju and Yamamoto while we bring in a stop-gap guy on a 1 or 2 year deal.
We need a right shot D. We could panic, or we could be patient with Bear and whoever we take at 10.
We need more offense from our dmen. We could be patient for Klef to get his game back, and see how Nurse continues to develop.

I feel like if we keep making trades, we will keep losing. And honestly, this isn't even about Chiarelli. It is the way of the NHL. You must, MUST draft and develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad