Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Do people honestly believe Montreal will give up the third overall for RNH? Come on. I like Nuge, and I think he's valuable, but there is a 0% chance they make a trade like that 1 for 1. They get a choice between a winger with 40 goal potential(Zadina/Wahlstrom/Svechnikov) or a dman with #1 potential(Boqvist/Hughes/Dobson).

RNH has 5 years until he is 30. The guy they draft has 12. I like Nuge, but he is not a #1 C. They aren't moving #3 for him. And for that matter, why do we want to move a proven asset like RNH for magic beans? We need depth prospects at every position and high end D prospects. Stop the madness. Draft D, develop from within. Focus heavily on our 2nd and third round picks and spend money on development. That is the winning formula....

I could see why the Oilers wouldnt make the trade. RNH is one of the few players who can play a two way game. He can play C and hes shown to have chemistry with McDavid. Trading him for a winger like Zadina doesnt really make sense when RNH can already be a winger and is more. Trade makes a bit more sense if they are really high on someone like Boqvist/Hughes/etc. I dont think the Oilers will want to wait 2 years for the player to be somewhat ready though.

I agree with you that Montreal should be drafting and developing. Similarly to Chiarelli, I think Bergervin is worried about his job. Price and Weber already have massive contracts. Montreals in a weird spot, what exactly are they? Retooling? Rebuilding? The organization is a mess. I could see them trading the #3 for RNH just because a lot of people in Montreal expects them to win now and they will sacrifice the future for immediate help.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Perhaps there is a desire for a player to come here, perhaps there is a deal to be made, who knows but assuming it’s a dead end is folly.

We need wingers I agree however C can play wing. If we landed Tavares I’d assume RNH would be moved, perhaps to Mtl for their 3rd, and Tavares plays behind McDavid and Drai moves to McDavids RW. Having an abundance of Centers gives a team huge flexibility.

As for a one year stop gap, looking at the free agent pool it’s like last year, there isn’t anyone and if there were I think nobody signs for one year term.

I conceded your point that Chiarelli makes the call. Chia makes the call and if the player really wants to come here he figures that out in the call. Why keep pushing the same point?

If you move Nuge, it won't be for Montreal's third overall pick.

Tavares in for $11M and Nuge's $6M out. That puts the team at a $75M cap hit with four NHL defencemen on the roster. Cap will be $82M next season at the absolute top end.

What magic could Chia pull with the $7M in cap space after signing Tavares for $11M and trading Nuge for picks?

The Oilers only have 16 players on the roster now. $7M for 7 players is really tough. If you sign five guys at league minimum that leaves $3.75M to split between Nurse and either Strome or Benning.

Not making any assumptions, these are the basics of any potential Tavares signing. Is it really folly to think a Tavares signing is a dead end?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I conceded your point that Chiarelli makes the call. Chia makes the call and if the player really wants to come here he figures that out in the call. Why keep pushing the same point?

If you move Nuge, it won't be for Montreal's third overall pick.

Tavares in for $11M and Nuge's $6M out. That puts the team at a $75M cap hit with four NHL defencemen on the roster. Cap will be $82M next season at the absolute top end.

What magic could Chia pull with the $7M in cap space after signing Tavares for $11M and trading Nuge for picks?

The Oilers only have 16 players on the roster now. $7M for 7 players is really tough. If you sign five guys at league minimum that leaves $3.75M to split between Nurse and either Strome or Benning.

Not making any assumptions, these are the basics of any potential Tavares signing. Is it really folly to think a Tavares signing is a dead end?

You’d have to move Klefbom and RNH to make it work. Otherwise it’s a dead end. Like I said, pipe dream. I think he winds up staying on the Island though.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I agree, he will go to FA. I think he will do a Stamkos, see what is out there and then circle back to the NYI like Stamkos did with the Bolts.
I think he genuinely leaves personally. Bolts were a great team. Islanders are not.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Plus the Bolts have the tax advantage and spending the winter living on the beach advantage.

I have heard he has a lot of loyalty to the Islanders but it seems like Stamkos had more incentives to go with his loyalty to stay in Tampa where as Tavares only has loyalty.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Plus the Bolts have the tax advantage and spending the winter living on the beach advantage.

I have heard he has a lot of loyalty to the Islanders but it seems like Stamkos had more incentives to go with his loyalty to stay in Tampa where as Tavares only has loyalty.

Depending on who you want to believe--JT has a problem with the team and their inability to move forward. In the 9 years he has played there they have made the playoffs 3 times--missing the last 2 years--Like all players he wants to win and he may not take as much money as some think he will if he goes to a team he thinks can win(this is the leafs faint hope clause he may go to them)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Depending on who you want to believe--JT has a problem with the team and their inability to move forward. In the 9 years he has played there they have made the playoffs 3 times--missing the last 2 years--Like all players he wants to win and he may not take as much money as some think he will if he goes to a team he thinks can win(this is the leafs faint hope clause he may go to them)

TML fans always think local boys are going to take a hometown discount. Let's indulge them for a bit. Say Tavares is willing to take $9m, not saying it's likely but doubtful he'd go any lower than that. That leaves the TML at $62M and needing to sign seven more bodies. Doable for 2018-19, but they will probably have to jettison some people they want to keep as Nylander will be looking for a raise.

They might be able to make it work this year. The really cap crunch comes next season when Toronto needs to re-sign Matthews and Marner. Matthews is going to be close to McDavid $12.5M.

It's a similar to why the Oilers couldn't sign Tavares. Marleau/Tavares/post ELC Matthews would be a huge chunk of the cap in 2019-20. 2019-20 the Leafs also have Gardiner and Hainsey hitting free agency so their defence could take a big hit.

Not sure who wants to make the room for Tavares, but it won't be Edmonton or Toronto.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
except this roster as it is made the playoffs and looked great doing it, last season. The only major difference was the Eberle-Strome trade, and I doubt that Eberle was linchpin of the team.

And sure, a lot of players had good years that year, and we were very healthy, but lots of players had bad years this season, and we had weird issues. We know for a fact that Larsson, Klefbom, Sekera, and Talbot are better than what we saw this season. Lucic probably is too.

Also, every team has an identity and advantage. Ours is that we have McDavid and Drai down the middle, and that is a starting point that most teams would love to start with. Our defense is also deep considering that we could even have Russell on the bottom pairing this season, and although it lacks offensive dimension, adding even one key player there would radically shift that.

You're forgetting Maroon. That was our best natural right winger and (arguably) our best natural left winger. With no replacement brought in.

This isn't the same team. It's missing two top 6 wingers.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I’ve been up and down this roster, our prospect pool, and its just depressing. Too many holes in the team as it is currently constructed, too little cap space, too many crippling NO Movement Clauses, too few internal candidates who can grow, and zero trade assets that wont open up just another hole. Chiarelli has completely and totally boxed this team in with no discernible avenues to improve. The only faint hopes are that the existing roster will vastly improve (which still wont get us remotely close to a Cup) or at least two miracle home run picks at the draft (think Colton Parayko in the 4th round kind of miracle). Talbot and Klefbom bouncing back and Lucic somehow turning into a hockey player instead of a garbage can with legs MIGHT be enough to get us into the playoffs, but any team with Ty Rattie on the top line and Kris Russell in the top 4 on his off hand doesnt have a chance in hell against the likes of Winnipeg, Nashville, Pittsburgh etc. I’d list some moves that might help, but they are such long shots that I wont even bother. FML.

Too much but very correct in that there really isn't much that can be done to improve the team right now.

Very few tradable assets. Too many no movement clauses. Prospects few and far between.

But as other's mentioned the coaching and team vastly underperformed and "should" be better. A bit of luck/development of the prospects we have and were back in the mix.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I think we are at a critical point with Puljujärvi as an asset right now. If they don’t think he is a long term piece I think we could trade him and get decent value but if he has another season of 25-30 point pace his value will go way down. They really have to decide if they want him or not and what they think he is gonna top out as.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You're forgetting Maroon. That was our best natural right winger and (arguably) our best natural left winger. With no replacement brought in.

well on LW, we seem to be set to use RNH, who seems to be much better than Maroon. If JP takes a reasonable step forward, he would more than cover the replacement of Eberle. Then it's 3C, and Strome seemed to be cementing himself as the season went on, and that will keep RNH in the top six. One downgrade seems to be 2016-17 Lucic vs 2017-18 Lucic but personally, but with so many players on the team having down years, I have to think that Lucic's decline might be more connected to what brought the whole team down, and not necessarily the physical collapse of Lucic that everyone seems to assume is going on.

There are question marks, specifically with Lucic, Rattie, and JP, but I like their odds to do well actually, assuming the rest of the team solves it's problems. And also, we could still add a winger this summer.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

That really depends on how you look at it. It could be two top-six wingers short, or it's one top-six winger and a capable 3/4C short.

If you're going to say that one of RNH or Draisaitl will be flanking McDavid at all times, you really only to find a fit for the other and a depth centre.

If they want Maroon back, they can probably get him back.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think we are at a critical point with Puljujärvi as an asset right now. If they don’t think he is a long term piece I think we could trade him and get decent value but if he has another season of 25-30 point pace his value will go way down. They really have to decide if they want him or not and what they think he is gonna top out as.
Or we trade him for peanuts and he becomes a very good second-liner for the next decade-plus. He's just a kid.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Or we trade him for peanuts and he becomes a very good second-liner for the next decade-plus. He's just a kid.

I don't think anyone thinks they should trade for "peanuts". The things that are being discussed right now, no matter how you feel about their downside, are not "peanuts".

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That really depends on how you look at it. It could be two top-six wingers short, or it's one top-six winger and a capable 3/4C short.

If you're going to say that one of RNH or Draisaitl will be flanking McDavid at all times, you really only to find a fit for the other and a depth centre.

If they want Maroon back, they can probably get him back.

How does it depend on how you look at it? We had RNH and Drai in our top 6 the year we made the playoffs just the same as this past season. They'll both be in the top 6 next year. Whoever is on the wing doesn't really matter. We're either down two right wingers or we're down a left winger and a right winger. We traded away Eberle and Maroon and didn't bring in a replacement for either of them. Yes we upgraded our 3C but did nothing to address the top 6.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
well on LW, we seem to be set to use RNH, who seems to be much better than Maroon. If JP takes a reasonable step forward, he would more than cover the replacement of Eberle. Then it's 3C, and Strome seemed to be cementing himself as the season went on, and that will keep RNH in the top six. One downgrade seems to be 2016-17 Lucic vs 2017-18 Lucic but personally, but with so many players on the team having down years, I have to think that Lucic's decline might be more connected to what brought the whole team down, and not necessarily the physical collapse of Lucic that everyone seems to assume is going on.

There are question marks, specifically with Lucic, Rattie, and JP, but I like their odds to do well actually, assuming the rest of the team solves it's problems. And also, we could still add a winger this summer.

I'll believe it when I see it from Puljujarvi. He's a long way from being even remotely close to replacing Eberle. And that still leaves no one for Maroon.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
RNH 6.0 - McDavid 12.0 - xxxxx
xxxxx - Draisaitl 8.5 - Puljujarvi .925
Lucic 6.0 - Strome 3.0 - xxxxx
xxxxx - xxxxx - Kassian 1.95

Khaira .675, Caggiula RFA, Aberg .650, Rattie .800

F: 39.7

Nurse RFA - Larsson 4.167
Klefbom 4.167 - Benning RFA
Sekera 5.5 - Russell 4.0
xxxxx

D: 17.834

Talbot 4.167
Koskinen 2.5

G: 6.667

Pouliot 1.333

T: 66.334

Strome is assumed he's getting his $3m QO. Caggiula's QO would be $874,125. Benning likely gets something in the ballpark of $1.5m AAV and Nurse on a bridge deal likely comes in around $3.5m AAV.

At those estimates the Oilers' payroll sits at 72.208 for the 2018/19 season with everyone paid up.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
I'll believe it when I see it from Puljujarvi. He's a long way from being even remotely close to replacing Eberle. And that still leaves no one for Maroon.

It's May. For all intents and purposes, the off-season hasn't even started yet....

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
RNH 6.0 - McDavid 12.0 - xxxxx
xxxxx - Draisaitl 8.5 - Puljujarvi .925
Lucic 6.0 - Strome 3.0 - xxxxx
xxxxx - xxxxx - Kassian 1.95

Khaira .675, Caggiula RFA, Aberg .650, Rattie .800

F: 39.7

Nurse RFA - Larsson 4.167
Klefbom 4.167 - Benning RFA
Sekera 5.5 - Russell 4.0
xxxxx

D: 17.834

Talbot 4.167
Koskinen 2.5

G: 6.667

Pouliot 1.333

T: 66.334

Strome is assumed he's getting his $3m QO. Caggiula's QO would be $874,125. Benning likely gets something in the ballpark of $1.5m AAV and Nurse on a bridge deal likely comes in around $3.5m AAV.

At those estimates the Oilers' payroll sits at 72.208 for the 2018/19 season with everyone paid up.

If you're giving Nurse 3.5 you're skipping the bridge deal and giving him term, no chance he's worth 3.5 on a 1 or 2 year deal.

If you're willing to go to 3.5 you should be offering him a contract similar to the Klefbom contract and deducting accordingly, ending up somewhere just under 4 x 7 years.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
It's May. For all intents and purposes, the off-season hasn't even started yet....

Sure but the original point was that the Oilers didn't need to replace Maroon because through some funny math they didn't need to.

So maybe pay attention to the context instead of being sarcastic about something you don't understand?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Looking at that depth chart, up front I think its likely the Oilers use a bit of cap to actively address the fourth line center position through Free Agency. The wings may get a few adds as guys like Aberg and Rattie aren't guaranteed those spots just yet, but if we're seeing adds there I think it's unlikely we see established talent added unless it's guys looking to re-establish themselves at the NHL level. Example being a guy like Jannik Hansen, who I hope we sign. He'd be a nice compliment to the top nine and could fit with any one of our four centers and addresses the need for both a speedy winger and a capable penalty killer.

Looking at the fourth line C position is interesting because the options are plentiful this summer.

Val Filppula, Matt Stajan, Shawn Matthias, Eric Fehr, Mark Letestu, Jay Beagle, Derek Ryan, David Desharnais, Kyle Brodziak, Matthew Peca, Chris Wagner, Jacob Josefson, Derek Grant, Nic Dowd.

We could go many different ways this summer addressing that role with either seasoned veterans or young up-and-comers. Pricey or inexpensive.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Sure but the original point was that the Oilers didn't need to replace Maroon because through some funny math they didn't need to.

So maybe pay attention to the context instead of being sarcastic about something you don't understand?

Please see post #35 for more context to help you understand.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you're giving Nurse 3.5 you're skipping the bridge deal and giving him term, no chance he's worth 3.5 on a 1 or 2 year deal.

If you're willing to go to 3.5 you should be offering him a contract similar to the Klefbom contract and deducting accordingly, ending up somewhere just under 4 x 7 years.
Considering the inflation of the cap, Nurse's bridge is realistically in that ballpark. He may get less, but I'd be prepared to see it in that range. You look at some of his comparables and they're starting to see long-term deals. It'll be interesting to see where Jacob Trouba and Josh Morrissey land this summer. They'll be a good gauge as to where Darnell's future number sits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad