Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nash sucks.
the quintessetial shrinking violet
Nash looked stellar in the Leafs series. Speedy volume shooter that has a solid two way game. He would fit this roster like a glove. Unfortunately there's the thing about him not playing in Canada...

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's staying in Winnipeg. If not he will definitely not be cheap.
I don't think Winnipeg could afford him beyond next season. But you're right, he's thing to be one of the pricier FAs this summer. I think he's a prime candidate for Montreal's top line center next season.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think McLellan has maximum 20 games and if we aren’t at .500 by then he is gone. If he makes it past that but we don’t make the playoffs he is gone.

If we don’t make the playoffs Chiarelli is gone.

If we do make the playoffs next year I think both will stay for the season after, especially if we make it past round 1.

I think/hope Talbot will bounce back and put up a .915-.920 season. I think the guy we just signed will prove to be a capable backup but nothing more than that.

I really think Chia/Gretzky have a specific player or 2 in mind for the 10th pick and if they can’t get the guy they want Chia will try to move the pick with another piece for a RHD. Probably Faulk from Carolina because he just had a meh season and his value is probably the lowest it’s ever been.

I think Klefbom will come back healthy and look like/improve upon 2016/2017 Klefbom. I think Nurse will continue to develop and establish himself as a true all around top 4 D.

I think Lucic will have a better season and play (mostly) up to his contract next year.

I think both Bear and Yamamoto make the team out of camp. Yamamoto stays for ~30 games and goes to the AHL. Bear sticks in the NHL and may not play in the AHL ever again.

Puljuarvi puts up ~50 points if he isn’t the piece that gets traded with the 10th pick which I have a feeling he might be.

I would like for these predictions to come true. They need to put Puju out there with Drai and get that shot going

Reactions: PulYou

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't think Winnipeg could afford him beyond next season. But you're right, he's thing to be one of the pricier FAs this summer. I think he's a prime candidate for Montreal's top line center next season.
Winnipeg will have some tough decisions but I suspect they will want to keep Stastny and that he will give them a better deal than he would the Oilers.

Stastny had a NTC and Winnipeg was one of the teams he was willing to go to. His time there has been a big success and he has been not only very good on the ice but reportedly very good in the room. In particular, he has been very good with Laine, who despite his goal scoring prowess could at times be a bit of an adventure as ES. He will be 33 early next year and he has made over $60M already. My sense is that he wants to win so I could definitely see the Jets and Stastny being a little creative on the deal. BUt if that does not happen his playoff numbers this year would get him a very good deal on the open market.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Can you trust Vermette to be an effective fourth liner and PKer for 82 games plus a potential playoff run? He's probably a guy who's going to one of the pricier options so perhaps you may be better suited grabbing one of the younger guys or maybe a player looking to make a bounce back.

If Glen Gulutzan ends up in Edmonton one name I would keep an eye on is Shawn Matthias. He was one of his main PK guys in Vancouver IIRC and he's currently spending the playoffs in the press box in Winnipeg so it wouldn't be shocking to see him come in at a clip closer to $1m than the $2m he's currently making.

I'd prefer to see two signings like Matthias and a guy like Peca than see one signing at a higher clip. A fourth line face off ace is an easy add later in the season if it becomes a need looking into the playoffs.

This sounds intriguing. I'll be honest and say I don't know a whole lot about him.
How's his skating & mobility? What's the reason why he's in the press box? (especially behind a 37 yr old Matt Hendricks)
This could be a very good buy-low candidate to replace one of Slep/Pak.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This sounds intriguing. I'll be honest and say I don't know a whole lot about him.
How's his skating & mobility? What's the reason why he's in the press box? (especially behind a 37 yr old Matt Hendricks)

Not the best skater and super soft for someone who is 6'4'' 230lbs.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Can you trust Vermette to be an effective fourth liner and PKer for 82 games plus a potential playoff run? He's probably a guy who's going to one of the pricier options so perhaps you may be better suited grabbing one of the younger guys or maybe a player looking to make a bounce back.

If Glen Gulutzan ends up in Edmonton one name I would keep an eye on is Shawn Matthias. He was one of his main PK guys in Vancouver IIRC and he's currently spending the playoffs in the press box in Winnipeg so it wouldn't be shocking to see him come in at a clip closer to $1m than the $2m he's currently making.

I'd prefer to see two signings like Matthias and a guy like Peca than see one signing at a higher clip. A fourth line face off ace is an easy add later in the season if it becomes a need looking into the playoffs.

Vermette is surely a better bet than Matthias if you're looking for reliability. I like Matthias but he hasn't played over 50 games in a season in like four years. He hasn't played a full 82 game season ever. This past season he had one goal in 27 games. There's a reason he's pressbox fodder. We would have been better off keeping Pak-man if we went that route.
At least with Vermette you know what you're getting. If we can snag Antoine for 2 million he's an infinitely better addition.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Honestly I'm not overly familiar with the player as he's played a tonne in the East throughout his career. I will give you this though and mention that in 2013-14 Vancouver had the ninth-best ranked PK in the NHL and Shawn Matthias was playing 2:05 in PK each game after he was acquired in the Luongo deal. In 2014-15, his only full season with Vancouver, he was reduced to 1:15 per game as he was playing behind the likes of Nick Bonino and Brad Richardson, but the team's PK leaped into 2nd in the NHL.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. He's certainly a buy low candidate along with Jannik Hansen, who was also a smaller part of that PK unit in 2014-15.

Vermette on the other hand didn't really play much PK this season in Anaheim. He was literally a face-off ace who saw more PP ice than SH.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Vermette is surely a better bet than Matthias if you're looking for reliability. I like Matthias but he hasn't played over 50 games in a season in like four years. He hasn't played a full 82 game season ever. This past season he had one goal in 27 games. There's a reason he's pressbox fodder. We would have been better off keeping Pak-man if we went that route.
At least with Vermette you know what you're getting. If we can snag Antoine for 2 million he's an infinitely better addition.
Like I said though, what is the difference between an average fourth line center who very well could be two potential players throughout the first 60 games versus a 'quality' fourth line center? You have the ability to make an upgrade later in the year. Vermette is a guy you're sacrificing $2m in salary for and he's going to be 36 next season. How's his game going to translate over the entire season? Especially when he looks like he was pretty sheltered last season. If you take a gander at the link I posted, the stats offered up suggest his goal production was one of the better ones on the team in his only full season.

Not the best skater and super soft for someone who is 6'4'' 230lbs.

Yeah he doesn't look like he throws a lot of hits. But I wonder if you could coax a few more out of him since his likely linemates are going to be Zack Kassian and a revolving door of Drake Caggiula, Jujhar Khaira and AHL call-ups.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah he doesn't look like he throws a lot of hits. But I wonder if you could coax a few more out of him since his likely linemates are going to be Zack Kassian and a revolving door of Drake Caggiula, Jujhar Khaira and AHL call-ups.

I think he's one of those guys that just don't have that in their DNA.

I used to like him a lot in the OHL and he played the same way back then.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Nash looked stellar in the Leafs series. Speedy volume shooter that has a solid two way game. He would fit this roster like a glove. Unfortunately there's the thing about him not playing in Canada...
Nash is the last player the Oilers should be going after. Guy avoided Edmonton like a plague when we drafted him. No thanks. Average NHL'er at best.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I agree they should bring in an older safety net winger, but I think its a little narrow minded to say that a) Puljujarvi should start the season on the 3rd line, and b) Yamamoto should start in the AHL. You get what you earn from your play in training camp/preseason. If Puljujarvi looks like the best option for the top 6 in training camp he should get that spot to start the year, similarly if Yamamoto looks NHL ready and better than other options then he should make the team out of camp.

Its impossible to say at this point if either are ready for those roles, but its also crazy to completely rule it out. Every year young players around the league make drastic improvements and adjustments over the summer and show up to camp significantly better than the year before. We'll have to wait and see what they look like come September.

So when I say "slotted", I mean the Oilers need to try and find a winger that they are fairly certain can handle top 6 min with Draisaitl and slot/pencil Puljujarvi at 3RW. If Puljujarvi plays well enough to steal that 2RW then so be it but to assume he can handle those minutes when everything we've seen up to this point says he cannot, is a mistake.

Yamamoto would have to absolutely set the world on fire in TC for me to consider keeping him up. There's just no reason to push him into a role he's most likely not ready for.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nash is the last player the Oilers should be going after. Guy avoided Edmonton like a plague when we drafted him. No thanks. Average NHL'er at best.
Rick Nash.

Riley Nash avoided Edmonton because our guys were trying to get him to forego going to Cornell which pissed his camp off. But agreed, he's a guy who's going to get a decent clip from someone based on his production this season which is unlikely to be replicated.

Reactions: A91

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Puljujarvi had more goals last season in a bottom six role and zero powerplay time than Kapanen has career points. Puljujarvi is also three years younger and much bigger. I wouldn’t trade him for three Kapanens.

Kapanen had less TOI in a bottom 6 role with zero PP time. And he played PK. He had less offensive opportunity than Pulju.
Kapenen is a good player, I expect a big season from him now that JVR/Bozak/Komarov are likely done in TO.
I like Pulju more, I'm one of his bigger supporters here but don't dismiss Kapanen and label him as a bad player. Pulju wouldn't have even sniffed the Leafs lineup this season. Easily one of the deepest teams at forward.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Like I said though, what is the difference between an average fourth line center who very well could be two potential players throughout the first 60 games versus a 'quality' fourth line center? You have the ability to make an upgrade later in the year. Vermette is a guy you're sacrificing $2m in salary for and he's going to be 36 next season. How's his game going to translate over the entire season? Especially when he looks like he was pretty sheltered last season. If you take a gander at the link I posted, the stats offered up suggest his goal production was one of the better ones on the team in his only full season.

QUOTE]

All very valid points and true points, a very well thought out post, as is par for the course for yourself.
All I'm saying is that if the difference between a Vermette and Matthias is around 1-1.5 mil, and they are truly committed to competing this next season, Vermette is the better option. He'd got better speed, he's still one of the best faceofff men in the league, he's got a ring, he's seen it all, and he's a proven penalty killer and by all accounts great in the locker-room. He's about done, it's true, but I recall the time this team bet on a washed up Adam Oates and it payed dividends for years. I'm not saying Vermette is Oates in any degree, but he's a very solid, respected veteran in the league who could do so much more for such a fragile team than a guy like Matthias.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kapanen had less TOI in a bottom 6 role with zero PP time. And he played PK. He had less offensive opportunity than Pulju.
Kapenen is a good player, I expect a big season from him now that JVR/Bozak/Komarov are likely done in TO.
I like Pulju more, I'm one of his bigger supporters here but don't dismiss Kapanen and label him as a bad player. Pulju wouldn't have even sniffed the Leafs lineup this season. Easily one of the deepest teams at forward.

Kapanen is a player with talent that is almost 23 and has yet to prove himself a full time NHLer, let alone a top six option. HfBoards would have called him a bust a long time ago if he was Edmonton property. Jesse was criminally underutilized and still managed ten ES goals playing with scrubs.

Would I take Kapanen, sure. 40th overall seems a reasonable price. Kapanen for Puljujarvi? Keep on walkin, Leafs. Don’t stop on the way out. And you’re now banned from the premises.

Reactions: PulYou and shoop

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Kapanen is a player with talent that is almost 23 and has yet to prove himself a full time NHLer, let alone a top six option. HfBoards would have called him a bust a long time ago if he was Edmonton property. Jesse was criminally underutilized and still managed ten ES goals playing with scrubs.

Would I take Kapanen, sure. 40th overall seems a reasonable price. Kapanen for Puljujarvi? Keep on walkin, Leafs. Don’t stop on the way out. And you’re now banned from the premises.

Meh I think people underrate him because he's a leaf. I hate the leafs more than anyone but he's a talented player who I would give up a lot more than the 4oth for. You'll see what I mean this season.

In regards to Pulju not a chance I trade him for Kapanen, obivously. Have never lost faith in the kid and im not starting now. But lets not act like Jesse is a bonafide star already.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
If the Oil can get an actual NHL player with some skill and ability with their 2nd round pick, then by all means do it. Their track record at the draft has been totally pathetic and incompetent. Adding a Baertschi would be the best thing they've ever done with a second pick...

Looking at the Jets one sees just how far into the abyss the Oilers are... Jets have premium prospects at ALL positions in the AHL and overseas... The Oilers have nothing and with the exception of one player, have a bunch of question marks. Vegas shows what heart and compete level and good coaching can bring. The oilers fail on those levels as well. Really watching these playoffs is a huge wake up call for me, as this Oil team is so far from being competitive.

I'd rather this scouting staff make that second round pick than deal it for a middling player like Baertschi.

The one thing this team will definitely need in the future is cheap ELC talent.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Who wouldn't you trade from the Oilers roster for Colton Parayko?

Probably McDavid and Drai.

For me personally, when I see trade suggestions like Parayko, OEL, etc it just seems like the Oilers are giving up too many pieces. RNH + 10th + etc or Nurse/Klefbom + 10th + etc. This team has a lack of depth and some of these trades create another hole by fixing a hole.

Reactions: Aerrol

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'd rather this scouting staff make that second round pick then deal it for a middling player like Baertschi.

The one thing this team will definitely need in the future is cheap ELC talent.
Do you mean than, otherwise it makes little sense.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Matthias could be a fun target, especially if the idea is to put him on a line with Khaira and Kassian.

I'm still liking the idea of tossing Strome on the RW with McDavid and Nuge. He has the skill to keep up, and his 3 mil price tag is a good deal there vs. Somewhat expensive for the bottom 6.

Plus this opens the door to target a guy like Filppula for the #3 spot. Which gives you a translator for Pulju, and a guy that can help anchor the PK.

Even with nothing else happening (unlikely), I like the way those two moves would balence the forward core.

RNH-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Aberg/Caggiula-Filppula-Puljujarvi
Matthais-Khaira-Kassian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad