Speculation: Offseason Roster Discussion part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Needs more time? This will be his 6th year in the league.

Assuming Toews is back and Reichel isn’t quite ready and Borgstrom being given a shot…

Kubalik-Toews-Kane
Cat-Dach-Johnson
Hagel-Borgstrom-Kurashev (dont love this line but would try it to have the above top 6)
Hardman-Carpenter-Gaudette

Nylander has 84 NHL games under his belt. Let's not get carried away here...

For the lineup, I don't mind it, who knows how these kids come out the gate- that third line makes me feel very meh though...defenses can load up on the top 6, bottom 6 is going to struggle to produce but at least you produced something unlike most on here lol...

All lineups depend on what happens to Strome as well of course...fingers crossed he moves.

Lines aren't static, shit moves around all the time anyway, but at least we get to see what depth we have here...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
if Fleury bails on them I wonder if Stan targets Rask or Hank, if they are healthy

Lundqvist hasn't been medically cleared and is 39. I dont see him as viable NHL option at this point as he was already on fast decline before missing season

Rask just had hip surgery (I believe yesterday) and is out until at the very least Jan/Feb. But a goalie coming off hip surgery at his age could potentially be big issue

He also didn't seem interested in moving on from B's in past so he likely rehabs and see's if they bring him back to be #2 for playoff run (Ullmark is clear #1 now but Swayman is very young so could be guy that goes back to minors if he struggles)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nylander has 84 NHL games under his belt. Let's not get carried away here...

For the lineup, I don't mind it, who knows how these kids come out the gate- that third line makes me feel very meh though...defenses can load up on the top 6, bottom 6 is going to struggle to produce but at least you produced something unlike most on here lol...

All lineups depend on what happens to Strome as well of course...fingers crossed he moves.

Lines aren't static, shit moves around all the time anyway, but at least we get to see what depth we have here...

Him not being good enough to play more NHL games isn’t a defense for him, IMO, and if anything should be held against him.

Yeah I’m not in love with that third line either but shutting those top two lines would be no easy feat and maybe the 3rd line can then overproduce because they’re constantly playing against the opponents worst defensive units. Also hard to say without knowing exactly what any of those guys on the third line are. Could maybe even swap Hagel and Kubalik to balance the 3rd line out a little more.

But if Dach is going to be our 1C of the future then I want him playing with good players immediately. I also want him away from Kane so he doesn’t defer even more than he already does.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
With regard to Bishop its likely he will come back this year and see how it goes

If he cant go forward he will be LTIR and if he is just no longer effective after injury he is likely buyout next offseason

Healthy or not healthy Oettinger will be getting a bigger workload no matter what as he showed well last year for Stars and is future in next

Wouldn't shock me to see Oettinger play 50-55 games and Bishop firmly established as backup
They just signed Holtby?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Him not being good enough to play more NHL games isn’t a defense for him, IMO, and if anything should be held against him.

Yeah I’m not in love with that third line either but shutting those top two lines would be no easy feat and maybe the 3rd line can then overproduce because they’re constantly playing against the opponents worst defensive units. Also hard to say without knowing exactly what any of those guys on the third line are. Could maybe even swap Hagel and Kubalik to balance the 3rd line out a little more.

But if Dach is going to be our 1C of the future then I want him playing with good players immediately. I also want him away from Kane so he doesn’t defer even more than he already does.

Nylander has 65 games under his belt here and produced almost as much as Pius Suter just did and is 2 years younger than Suter lol......so not following this logic.

Whether he ever he reaches his true potential is one thing, and I doubt he ever will - but skill is evident, he can produce if in the right spot as well - Hawks seem to be willing to give him that chance...he can easily be moved on from, but I am happy to give him that 25 game chance out the gate to see if he can click here and help produce offense.

As for Dach, as I said earlier, playing with talent isn't always the right thing/main goal, especially if playing with that talent leads to harder matchups. Dach is someone who you can bounce around a bit on the lines to see what works best for him...I really don't want him with Kane either, but I also like him not in our top 6 right away as well-to take pressure off him, and allow him to focus on his offensive skills/develop and not tougher matchups.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nylander has 65 games under his belt here and produced almost as much as Pius Suter just did and is 2 years younger than Suter lol......so not following this logic.

Whether he ever he reaches his true potential is one thing, and I doubt he ever will - but skill is evident, he can produce if in the right spot as well - Hawks seem to be willing to give him that chance...he can easily be moved on from, but I am happy to give him that 25 game chance out the gate to see if he can click here and help produce offense.

As for Dach, as I said earlier, playing with talent isn't always the right thing/main goal, especially if playing with that talent leads to harder matchups. Dach is someone who you can bounce around a bit on the lines to see what works best for him...I really don't want him with Kane either, but I also like him not in our top 6 right away as well-to take pressure off him, and allow him to focus on his offensive skills/develop and not tougher matchups.

Nylander does not have an all around game comparable to Suter. Suter is much more versatile and that’s valuable.

Nylander to me is one dimensional and floats a lot. He’s also only a winger. Suter scored 14 goals in 55 games compared to Nylander’s career 13 goals over 84 games. And it’s not like Nylander is some big playmaker racking up assists. Age is irrelevant for Nylander at this point IMO. He’s had his chances and hasn’t taken advantage of any of them yet. What more could he be waiting on to develop into the top 6 guy he was drafted to be?

I don’t really care about age when comparing the two because even if we kept Suter it would have only been a two year deal anyway.

Dach had already played really well against some of the leagues best players. I don’t think he needs to be sheltered at this point so you may as well put some good talent around him that complements his game.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nylander does not have an all around game comparable to Suter. Suter is much more versatile and that’s valuable.

Nylander to me is one dimensional and floats a lot. He’s also only a winger. Suter scored 14 goals in 55 games compared to Nylander’s career 13 goals over 84 games. And it’s not like Nylander is some big playmaker racking up assists. Age is irrelevant for Nylander at this point IMO. He’s had his chances and hasn’t taken advantage of any of them yet. What more could he be waiting on to develop into the top 6 guy he was drafted to be?

I don’t really care about age when comparing the two because even if we kept Suter it would have only been a two year deal anyway.

Dach had already played really well against some of the leagues best players. I don’t think he needs to be sheltered at this point so you may as well put some good talent around him that complements his game.

I get that Suter is more versatile, most centers are.

Was merely talking about production and age. Nylander is younger and produced close to what Suter just did despite not playing with Kane..

Point is you don't throw in the towel yet on Nylander, no reason to. If after a nice 25-30 games he can't produce or fit in here, then easily move on from him, but the team looks to be more than willing to give him that chance.

With Dach, plenty of ways to handle him- we have the centers now to do what is best for him, whatever that is. I have no idea what he is fully ready for yet, if it playing 20 minutes a night with Cat, Kane, whoever, then let's get it!! If not, don't be surprised to see him shielded some more with some younger talents a bit down the lineup.

Reactions: bwana63

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Was merely talking about production and age. Nylander is younger and produced close to what Suter just did despite not playing with Kane..

Point is you don't throw in the towel yet on Nylander, no reason to. If after a nice 25-30 games he can't produce or fit in here, then easily move on from him, but the team looks to be more than willing to give him that chance.

With Dach, plenty of ways to handle him- we have the centers now to do what is best for him, whatever that is. I have no idea what he is fully ready for yet, if it playing 20 minutes a night with Cat, Kane, whoever, then let's get it!! If not, don't be surprised to see him shielded some more with some younger talents a bit down the lineup.

I throw the towel in on him because he’s had multiple years to do something, anything, and I just don’t see the desire there. I think he’s playing in Europe eventually. I don’t question the talent, he’s a talented dude for sure.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I throw the towel in on him because he’s had multiple years to do something, anything, and I just don’t see the desire there. I think he’s playing in Europe eventually. I don’t question the talent, he’s a talented dude for sure.

He's projected to be a league minimum player at this point, also don't see it with him, its going to be a big year for him as far as his future with Hawks, he should have a short leash in lineup and probably will

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Saad is off to the Blues. Central is turning into a free for all very quickly, I can’t imagine Stan is done now seeing that the other teams are improving as well.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
85 NHL games...good thing you aren't in charge- I take back naming you our new GM lol!!!!

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Sure is a lot of nylander dissent in this thread. Can’t wait to see what a skill forward in the 23-27 prime years can do next season

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
85 NHL games...good thing you aren't in charge- I take back naming you our new GM lol!!!!

Again, if he were any good a guy drafted where he was as a forward would have more games played. Yet he struggled to get ice time in Buffalo, and hasn’t exactly impressed during his stint here so far.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
I really like the idea of Johnson and Hagel on a third line. Working off of that and liking AD’s splitting of Dach/Kane

Debrincat Dach Strome
Kubalik Toews Kane
Hagel Johnson ?
x-y-z

Edit:

Debrincat Dach Strome
Borgstrom Toews Kane
Kubalik Johnson Hagel
X-Y-Z

Maybe something closer to this. Borgstrom being an option amongst Nylander, Gaudette, Kurashev…

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Again, if he were any good a guy drafted where he was as a forward would have more games played. Yet he struggled to get ice time in Buffalo, and hasn’t exactly impressed during his stint here so far.
Possibly, but it is Buffalo...that is one massive train wreck over there past 5-6 years...

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Hard to believe that Buffalo mishandled him. And he was injured some too.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Cat Toews Kane
Kubalik Dach Nylander
Borgstrom Strome Kurashev
Hagel Johnson Gaudette
Khaira/Carpenter

McCabe SJ
Kalynuk Murphy
CDH Mitchell
Stillman/CJ

Fleury
Lankinen

I don't hate this lineup. Johnson would get bumped down to the 4th line like he was in Tampa, but Hagel and Gaudette there with him could be a surprisingly effective 2-way line. 2nd line gets some harder matchups as well. 1st and 3rd get tons of offensive zone draws and easier matchups.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Are you serious with Johnson as #4C?

He was down in lineup in TB because they had a shitload of depth

Also that 3rd line sucks

Bust + struggling Strome + Kurashev who still has alot to prove and improve on = Recipe for disaster

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Are you serious with Johnson as #4C?

He was down in lineup in TB because they had a shitload of depth

Also that 3rd line sucks

Bust + struggling Strome + Kurashev who still has alot to prove and improve on = Recipe for disaster
3rd line has been the outcasts line for years, even in the Q days. It's the line that you give low minutes/opportunities to so the other lines can get a break. Strome, and potentially Borgstrom, aren't top 6 guys and neither of them are guys you want in a defensive role (at least not yet, in Borgstrom's case). So give them low minutes against easy competition and hope they don't f*** up too bad.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018

I like Nylander. He surprised me with his defense in the transition game. If the Hawks get him to focus on the defensive part of the game, I would roll these lines now:

Nylander - Dach - Johnson
Debrincat - Borgstrom - Kane
Kubalik - Toews (Strome) - Kurashev
Nick Ritchie - Carpenter - Hagel
Gaudette, Khaira, Connolly: Press Box/Waivers
Reichel, Barratt: Rockford
Barkov: In every Hawk fan's dreams

If Toews isn't who he used to be in a significant way right now the Hawks should ltir him and move on, preparing to go strong for Barkov if Florida doesn't extend him before FA. Strome and Gaudette get a look at 3C if Toews can't do it anymore, and if they can't do it slot TJ in 3C. Nick Ritchie is there to throw them and to stand in front of the net on pp2 if noone else wants to.

Longer term, Reichel moves to the Dach line, Johnson to 3c and Barratt to the fourth line, and trade/move on from JT if he can still play but isn't one of the Hawks top 3 options at center. (If he can still play this is may be very unlikely).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad