Speculation: Offseason Roster Discussion part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Possibly, but it is Buffalo...that is one massive train wreck over there past 5-6 years...

The Buffalo factor is real, no denying that. I’m just not a big fan of reclamation projects like Nylander. I’m especially not in favor of them if it’s a guy who has already been ruined my the prior organization.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Cat Toews Kane
Kubalik Dach Nylander
Borgstrom Strome Kurashev
Hagel Johnson Gaudette
Khaira/Carpenter

McCabe SJ
Kalynuk Murphy
CDH Mitchell
Stillman/CJ

Fleury
Lankinen

I don't hate this lineup. Johnson would get bumped down to the 4th line like he was in Tampa, but Hagel and Gaudette there with him could be a surprisingly effective 2-way line. 2nd line gets some harder matchups as well. 1st and 3rd get tons of offensive zone draws and easier matchups.
For the love of all that is holy stop putting Strome into the lineup. It makes me want to vomit.

And I’m blaming every single person who makes a mock lineup with him in it if he’s back next year. Completely unacceptable if he’s anywhere near the team.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Hawks had no reason to talk to him before trade

1) Hawks were not on his NTC
2) Hawks were not planning extension

Also without Vegas approval the Hawks cant talk to him

Yeah, I wonder how much of this is Vegas telling the Hawks, oh yeah we talked to Fleury he's fine and then shit hits the fan. If so, that's very bad faith on their part or Fleury's camp playing games.

Zawaski was saying that it's a fireable offence if the Hawks didn't check in with Fleury before trading for him, but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed and is interference. Carolina and Columbus gave Hamilton and Jones PERMISSION to talk to teams. The permission makes sense because they were looking at sign and trades, but I don't think teams generally give permission before a regular trade.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
Yeah, I wonder how much of this is Vegas telling the Hawks, oh yeah we talked to Fleury he's fine and then shit hits the fan. If so, that's very bad faith on their part or Fleury's camp playing games.

Zawaski was saying that it's a fireable offence if the Hawks didn't check in with Fleury before trading for him, but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed and is interference. Carolina and Columbus gave Hamilton and Jones PERMISSION to talk to teams. The permission makes sense because they were looking at sign and trades, but I don't think teams generally give permission before a regular trade.

Absolutely right. Yet another example of the low bar we have in Chicago for our hockey writers.

I actually wonder if they aren't as "dull" as they seem and simply assume the average reader won't know their ass from their face when it comes to this stuff so they say things like that to generate buzz. They'd be absolutely correct in that assumption but I'm not sure I want to give them that much credit :laugh:

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Absolutely right. Yet another example of the low bar we have in Chicago for our hockey writers.

I actually wonder if they aren't as "dull" as they seem and simply assume the average reader won't know their ass from their face when it comes to this stuff so they say things like that to generate buzz. They'd be absolutely correct in that assumption but I'm not sure I want to give them that much credit :laugh:
They say a lot of stupid shit but I'm so starved for hockey in the summer I listen. Like they were giving Bowman shit because he said having an LTIR contract is a headache and they took it to mean that Bowman didn't want to deal with a complicated situation and oh look at Tampa, they managed to do it and therefore why get rid of the Seabrook contract when they could use it. But it wasn't that Bowman was too lazy to deal with the LTIR contract, the headache is that it restricts what you can do with players and who you can call up. It's not just an annoyance, it has practical consequences. They also trashed the Hawks I think last season when they were stuck playing a player short due to cap issues. It's just hot takes-ville there sometimes and Jay especially seems to hate Bowman and Colliton, which is fine, but his ability to look at things analytically.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Saad is off to the Blues. Central is turning into a free for all very quickly, I can’t imagine Stan is done now seeing that the other teams are improving as well.
About 4.5 MM.....much more in line with what he brings to the table.....he gauged Columbus and us with trajectory and potential.....

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Its not like they couldn't have requested permission to speak to him.
I wish they could have found a way to get to Fleury because I knew the optics of it would look bad.

But like others have said, we can't just talk to a player- against the PA...once I even came to my sense and I said the same thing...but Vegas did him dirty and that is on them. The offer probably presented itself pretty quickly, Bowman had to jump on it quickly and hope he can convince him afterwards. The whole thing is bizarre, not going to lie, but the more I hear about it, the more Vegas looks like POS here.

Can't be mad at a team wanting you, trading for you, willing to pay you versus the one sending you packing without even talking to you..

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Maybe the Hawks did and were told no.
yeah, which in my opinion would be a red flag. Idk, obviously I have no experience in a front office and what happens, but its not like it was unknown that MAF didn't want to leave Vegas and was rumored he would retire rather than leave.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
You’ve heard of the Trollhawks, and you certainly remember the Tankhawks…now you have the…Newlookhawks…or something like that.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006
I feel like this is the most balanced for the offence in terms of skills and 2way play:

DeBrincat-Kane
Kubalik-Toews
Johnson-Dach

Someone has someone else to play with and not be on an island by themselves.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I feel like this is the most balanced for the offence in terms of skills and 2way play:

DeBrincat-Kane
Kubalik-Toews
Johnson-Dach

Someone has someone else to play with and not be on an island by themselves.

no way Dach does not play with any of Kubalik/cat/kane IMO

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Even Fleury the Vezina Trophy winner got the Nick Leddy treatment when he fumbled a play in a big game. "Be gone from here Jonah"

Reactions: x Tame Impala

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Dach needs to be THE guy on his line instead of passing up grade a scoring chances EVERY damn time.
Colton Dach during his draft interview said that he and Kirby are complimentary players in that he’s more the shooter and Kirby is more the passer. I’m hoping that Kirby decides to shoot more this year. Took Kane 2-3 years to start looking for his shot more. Goals went up when he did.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kubalik Toews Strome
D-Cat Dach Kane
Johnson Borgstrom Nylander
Hagel Khaira Kurashev/Connelly

If Strone traded then sign Shalunov and insert on Kubakik Toews line

If Nylander traded.. move Strome to 3RW abd sign Shakunov for fit ob Toews Kubalik line.

The point is that 1 of Nylanderv or Strome is redundant ...

Shaluniv woukd have been a goud fit for Toews Nd Jubakik but we are stick with Strome (skating / compete/ / checking isdues....and Nyander ( compete and perimeter pansy issues)..

We can hide 1 on kine 3 vs. Worst lines of opps( Sheltered) ...but neither is right for 1RW ...ANDwe cannot water Strome or Nylander in aline 4 role.

So we Should trade 1 of Nylander or Strome.
For picks...

Sign Shalunov...=a good fit for Kubalik and Toews at wing... Compliments them...digs pucks out...take pucks to bet with oiwr moves...neither Strome or Nylander do that ...

Tgeycrealkycarexstilk flawed having both Nylander and Strome....can live with 1cof them in the right role but 2 of them on same team is misguided.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Dach needs to be THE guy on his line instead of passing up grade a scoring chances EVERY damn time.
agreed that he needs to shoot more and I think he will

also agreed that Dach would be benefit from being THE guy on a line and I think that can still happen with Kubalik or Cat on his line, Kaner not likely...

that said I am not opposed to Dach driving his own line, he just needs to have the correct pieces on either side of him...given the players we have on contract at the moment excluding Strome here is what I would do with the lines.

Cat-Borgstrom/Dach-Kane (off. zone starts, we know Cat/Kane have chemistry, Borgstrom is the wildcard, not sure if he is responsible enough defensively to fit here, we may have to shelter/hide him.... and if he is too firmly entrenched as a playmaker and as you tube calls him a magician when at U Denver the, could swap Borgstrom and Dach)
Kubalik-Toews-Hagel (great two line that can still score and create offense, could also swap Hagel/Nylander IMO whatever works best)
Nylander-Dach/Borgstrom-Kurashev (Nylander is the wildcard here, if he plays to his potential I think this line could be a dynamite line that could rip apart many opposition lines as this could be deployed as our 3rd and prey on weaker lines of the opposition)
Gaudette-Johnson-Carpenter/JK (johnson should be playing C to get the best out of him that is what I learn from Tampa fans, Gaudette could move up the lineup if needed)

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I sure hope Toews can come back and play. That said, I feel like the Johnson acquisition was also about insurance, in the case that he doesn't. I have a really hard time penciling Toews into the lineup until I see him on the ice for training camp.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I sure hope Toews can come back and play. That said, I feel like the Johnson acquisition was also about insurance, in the case that he doesn't. I have a really hard time penciling Toews into the lineup until I see him on the ice for training camp.
ya that is possible cause Johnson can play 2, 3, 4 C but to be honest on this club if he plays anything but 3 or 4 C we are in trouble IMO

Toews playing effectively like we know he can will be likely one of the most important aspects of Stan/hawks push for one last go...

IMO Stan /Hawks would not be doing what they have if they were not pretty certain Toews was able to play effectively

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
ya that is possible cause Johnson can play 2, 3, 4 C but to be honest on this club if he plays anything but 3 or 4 C we are in trouble IMO

Toews playing effectively like we know he can will be likely one of the most important aspects of Stan/hawks push for one last go...

IMO Stan /Hawks would not be doing what they have if they were not pretty certain Toews was able to play effectively

Nah. You put him with Kane and let them feast on offensive zone starts. Would be one of the best centers he's played with in Chicago... lol

Reactions: Panzerspitze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad