Speculation: Offseason Roster Discussion part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Playing around with cap friendly, and in '22 with the raises coming in, provided we move off of Connolly, we would be fine bringing in another 3/4M player this year, more or less.

Meaning it would be fine to trade Strome/de Haan for and upgrade with equal cap coming back.

This is assuming Hagel signs for 2+ years at 1,875M.

Or to go a more conservative route, we could be banking of Gaudette or C.Jones to break out and leave some space for them next year too.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
With the goalie market completely bare at this point, Stan might as well work all offseason to try to get Fleury to show up. It’s only for one year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I was thinking about this for a bit last night.

We watched Pius Suter come in and get that chance to play with Kane...and he did a good job in that role coming out of nowhere. Kane can work magic with nearly anyone - see Handzus lol...

We have Borgstrom who from all accounts is even more skilled than Suter was/is. Borg is a left shot as well, which I like as Kane's center. Is it that big of a stretch to think the Hawks won't give Borg that chance to center Kane and possibly Cat? He has almost 60 games of NHL experience as well..

If the Hawks do this, the depth of our other top 2 lines is greatly impacted for the better. And you can shield Dach out the gate as our 3rd line to feast on opposition with better matchups.

Kubalik - Toews - Johnson - this line could be deployed in any way we wanted
DeBrincat - Borgstrom - Kane - let teams focus on shutting them down, leaves Toews/Dach open
Kurashev - Dach - Nylander - this line really intrigues me, young, but if used correctly could really feast
Hagel - Carpenter - Gaudette/Hardman - I think this line can over perform too- Gaudette not ideal for 4th line, but if kid wants to play right now, he can play this role over Nylander..

This lineup looks pretty darn balanced, tough to matchup against and gives some of our kids the chance to prove themselves (Borg, Kurashev, Nylander, Dach,Gaudette, Hagel, etc)...

I am really liking what we might be able to do offensively with or without Strome.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

We watched Pius Suter come in and get that chance to play with Kane...and he did a good job in that role coming out of nowhere. Kane can work magic with nearly anyone - see Handzus lol...

We have Borgstrom who from all accounts is even more skilled than Suter was/is. Borg is a left shot as well, which I like as Kane's center. Is it that big of a stretch to think the Hawks won't give Borg that chance to center Kane and possibly Cat? He has almost 60 games of NHL experience as well..

If the Hawks do this, the depth of our other top 2 lines is greatly impacted for the better. And you can shield Dach out the gate as our 3rd line to feast on opposition with better matchups.

DeBrincat - Borgstrom - Kane - let teams focus on shutting them down, leaves Toews/Dach open
Kurashev - Dach - Nylander - this line really intrigues me, young, but if used correctly could really feast
Hagel - Carpenter - Gaudette/Hardman - I think this line can over perform too- Gaudette not ideal for 4th line, but if kid wants to play right now, he can play this role over Nylander..

This lineup looks pretty darn balanced, tough to matchup against and gives some of our kids the chance to prove themselves (Borg, Kurashev, Nylander, Dach,Gaudette, Hagel, etc)...

I am really liking what we might be able to do offensively with or without Strome.

Dach with Nylander? Hard pass.

I don’t mind that top line

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Dach with Nylander? Hard pass.

I don’t mind that top line

Nylander hasn't played in a year, no clue how he comes out the gate...this is our 3rd line, shielded- what down side is there? Kurashev is the puck hog/worker bee on that line to keep possession...

Nylander has to play with either Dach or Toews..only options really

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Keep Dach away from Nylander. Dach needs to fast track his development after missing a year basically so don’t handcuff him with some bum like Nylander. I’d rather see Dach paired with guys who play similar to him along the boards, like Cat. He’ll even Hagel. Johnson would be a great option too.

Nylander and Kane are the two I’d keep him the furthest from.

Reactions: HawksDub89

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014

I like this deployment more than any other so far. Good job!

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Keep Dach away from Nylander. Dach needs to fast track his development after missing a year basically so don’t handcuff him with some bum like Nylander. I’d rather see Dach paired with guys who play similar to him along the boards, like Cat. He’ll even Hagel. Johnson would be a great option too.

Then Nylander plays with Toews...only other option. I proposed that as well, people didn't seem thrilled either.

Nylander is here folks, and going to get a chance, he has to play with either Dach or Toews. He can't play 4th line and Kane is already a RW...only leaves 2 other options...

Reactions: bwana63

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Then Nylander plays with Toews...only other option. I proposed that as well, people didn't seem thrilled either.

Nylander is here folks, and going to get a chance, he has to play with either Dach or Toews. He can't play 4th line and Kane is already a RW...only leaves 2 other options...

Nylander-Toews-Kane is going to get smoked. Two soft wingers who don’t play D. Yeah Nylander can steal a puck every now and then but that’s about it. I’d feel bad for 19 if he returns and he’s gotta carry that line defensively.

Nylander just needs to get lost. We have enough forwards as is and he showed nothing when healthy. Now he’s missed a year after a major injury. I just hope he’s not gifted a roster spot he doesn’t deserve and drag that line down. Sadly, I think he’s going to be given more chances than he deserves this season.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
If Dach stays healthy all year, I don't think JC (or Stan) will shelter him one bit. He was one of the mpg leaders in the Vegas series and he played both PK and PP min last year. The only 'sheltering' he may need is when it comes to the face off dot. Now if Toews isn't healthy enough to play the 1C role, I could see Hawks using a more defensive minded line against the opponents top line as opposed to Dach et al.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Whatever happened to Ben Bishop—is he done due to injuries?
TBD, he's still trying, but I read the below as he's probably done (or at least not anyone you want to have to count on), this is from when he decided to waive his NMC to be exposed in the ED

Bishop, 34, has battled injuries throughout his career and tried to come back during the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs in August. That didn't work, and he continued to rehab in hopes of making it back for the 2020-21 season. He wasn't able to play a game. During different attempts to test the strength of his knee, his results have been mixed. He's currently skating with the hope he'll be ready for training camp in September.
"We're just going to have to take it day by day as far as the rehab process goes, and then decisions will be made," Bishop said. "It's just really step by step. It's frustrating, but I've fought through a lot so far and I understand it's a slow process."

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If Dach stays healthy all year, I don't think JC (or Stan) will shelter him one bit. He was one of the mpg leaders in the Vegas series and he played both PK and PP min last year. The only 'sheltering' he may need is when it comes to the face off dot. Now if Toews isn't healthy enough to play the 1C role, I could see Hawks using a more defensive minded line against the opponents top line as opposed to Dach et al.

Which is why Johnson should be one of his wingers. He’ll battle all day along the boards with Dach, can score, and can take FOs. He’s the perfect winger for Dach right now.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nylander-Toews-Kane is going to get smoked. Two soft wingers who don’t play D. Yeah Nylander can steal a puck every now and then but that’s about it. I’d feel bad for 19 if he returns and he’s gotta carry that line defensively.

Nylander just needs to get lost. We have enough forwards as is and he showed nothing when healthy. Now he’s missed a year after a major injury. I just hope he’s not gifted a roster spot he doesn’t deserve and drag that line down. Sadly, I think he’s going to be given more chances than he deserves this season.
Better get used to Nylander, he is going to be getting a legit shot.

Not a single reason to move on from the kid, he needs more time to show what he can do, and by putting him on a line that is shielded as our 3rd, they can focus on offense and trying to create chances out there.

What does your lineup look like?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
With regard to Bishop its likely he will come back this year and see how it goes

If he cant go forward he will be LTIR and if he is just no longer effective after injury he is likely buyout next offseason

Healthy or not healthy Oettinger will be getting a bigger workload no matter what as he showed well last year for Stars and is future in next

Wouldn't shock me to see Oettinger play 50-55 games and Bishop firmly established as backup

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nylander blows

And your not doing Dach any favors putting Kurashev who lets be honest after good start fizzled and needs to show more this coming season on one wing and a shitty Nylander on other
a rookie fizzled out a bit by seasons end, you don't say??? well holy f***, stop the presses...Kurashev can easily play that role of puck hound and the player to crash the crease....

let's see what your lineup would be?

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Yeah I can’t help but think you’re stunting Dachs development pairing him with someone like Nylander.

Rather see him center Kane and Cat.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Which is why Johnson should be one of his wingers. He’ll battle all day along the boards with Dach, can score, and can take FOs. He’s the perfect winger for Dach right now.

Excellent point on Johnson. Especially with face offs. He’d actually pair nicely with Kirby.

Lots of options, I wish Nylander weren’t one of them.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah I can’t help but think you’re stunting Dachs development pairing him with someone like Nylander.

Rather see him center Kane and Cat.
So you would rather him face teams #1 defense for a 20 year old center?

You put Dach with Kane and Cat, you just gave the opposition THE line to shut down. Playing with talented players is one thing, playing the matchups to help a player develop is another.

I am not sure Dach is ready for that role, but maybe he is...I hope Dach comes out swinging, but many on here feel he isn't ready for that role yet- rather him focus on scoring and developing offensive skills against lesser opponents until then.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Better get used to Nylander, he is going to be getting a legit shot.

Not a single reason to move on from the kid, he needs more time to show what he can do, and by putting him on a line that is shielded as our 3rd, they can focus on offense and trying to create chances out there.

What does your lineup look like?

Needs more time? This will be his 6th year in the league.

Assuming Toews is back and Reichel isn’t quite ready and Borgstrom being given a shot…

Kubalik-Toews-Kane
Cat-Dach-Johnson
Hagel-Borgstrom-Kurashev (dont love this line but would try it to have the above top 6)
Hardman-Carpenter-Gaudette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad