Offseason Moves Part IV

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Allow me to be the first one to scoff at this scoff scoff. Okposo and Nielsen leaving will have nothing to do with loyalty and not paying guys what they deserve. It will be because the cap has not gone up enough and doesn't project to in the future. JT I'm almost certain knows the NHL is a hard-cap league and that sometimes you have to make tough decisions. Look at what happened in Chicago. They have lost a bunch of people that helped them win their cups but do you see Toews or Kane complaining about loyalty and trying to leave. On the contrary they signed twin $10.5 AAV deals.

It's different with two studs...wait until JT's the only one....not a good comparison.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Franson and the Isles were not a good fit. He wanted 2nd pairing money and playing time, and the Isles would be looking for a 3rd pairing RH d-man.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
It's a big steal.

I had him pinned at just under 6 per. Petry territory. $3.3 mil is awesome value. The fact that it's only 2yrs makes it even better. That guy can get 50 points this year!

He got essentially the same contract as Justin Williams. We could've had them both for a total of 2 years, $6.5 million, a number I thought Franson could've beaten by himself.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
It's different with two studs...wait until JT's the only one....not a good comparison.

Really splitting hairs there. Even if you are going with that logic I would say by the time JT's contract is up (3 seasons from now) Strome will have a good chance to cement himself as a guy right up there or just below Toews in terms of being a 2-way top line forward.

I don't see how the Isles situation in maybe having to lose KO or Nielsen because of the cap is any different than Chicago's except for not winning the cup yet but we still have this year to play before those two are FAs.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Really splitting hairs there. Even if you are going with that logic I would say by the time JT's contract is up (3 seasons from now) Strome will have a good chance to cement himself as a guy right up there or just below Toews in terms of being a 2-way top line forward.

I don't see how the Isles situation in maybe having to lose KO or Nielsen because of the cap is any different than Chicago's except for not winning the cup yet but we still have this year to play before those two are FAs.

Well, yeah...I guess. If you want to run comparisons though letting Nielsen go would be similar to how they dealt Sharp, but Okposo on the other hand...they really haven't let a guy like that go. Saad is younger and getting paid less. They signed Hossa long term. If that's how the Isles are modeling the team than they really should sign Okposo.

Blah, I know they aren't good comparisons anyway, but I still think signing Okposo is the right move.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think Franson had a LOT of information work against him - whether it was directly related to him is another story. Teams are looking for any leverage. Franson just happened to be one where that leverage was successfully used...

And take a look at this video. A lot of GM's are probably starting to realize how useless Franson is in his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad