Offseason Moves Part IV

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
yeah, but we have to pay him something. Grabovski making $5 mil, Kulemin making $4.2 mil. paying Frans $3.6 for 5 years is not going to break us, and i think that he is more valuable then either of Grabo or Kool.

He's not worth it 5 years from now. He gets a 3 year deal max from me, with him giving us a hometown discount.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's not worth it 5 years from now. He gets a 3 year deal max from me, with him giving us a hometown discount.

This.

The most I would do is 3 years at 12-13M in total dollars. I love Frans, and think he's an important piece to the team on and off the ice, but there's no way I let him eventually get in the way of keeping someone like Strome.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
This.

The most I would do is 3 years at 12-13M in total dollars. I love Frans, and think he's an important piece to the team on and off the ice, but there's no way I let him eventually get in the way of keeping someone like Strome.

a 3 year deal to Frans, means he is a UFA when 34. not an ideal situation for him. him, or anyone that is 31, is probably looking for a long term deal.

to me, 5 years is a compromise for both team and player. $3.6 is also a compromise for both parties. i bet that he could get a 6 year, $4 mil contract, as a UFA.

i seriously doubt that he will be holding Strome back.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
a 3 year deal to Frans, means he is a UFA when 34. not an ideal situation for him. him, or anyone that is 31, is probably looking for a long term deal.

to me, 5 years is a compromise for both team and player. $3.6 is also a compromise for both parties. i bet that he could get a 6 year, $4 mil contract, as a UFA.

i seriously doubt that he will be holding Strome back.

I'm not interested in compromising with a 31 year old who is declining. I'm interested if he's taking what I offer and that's it.

We need money for Okposo, Strome, and there may be a replacement out there that is better than Nielsen is. I wouldn't give him a 5 year deal, it's just too long.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You can always trade him if you need to. If he takes less cap for more term, it's not terrible in the short term.

With the uncertainty of the Canadian dollar, and big contracts catching up to teams, the Islanders can't afford to sign another older player to a contract that they may need to trade down the road because there's not a lot teams able/willing to take on cap dumps anymore. I'd would hate to see Snow be forced to trade Dal Colle because they couldn't move Nielsen in the last year of his contract or something (Like Chicago with Saad & Bickell Versteeg).

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i hate seeing guys walk for nothing, but if KO and Nielsen help us win a cup this year, then i am ok with these two leaving without any return.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
With the uncertainty of the Canadian dollar, and big contracts catching up to teams, the Islanders can't afford to sign another older player to a contract that they may need to trade down the road because there's not a lot teams able/willing to take on cap dumps anymore.

I wouldn't be that worried. Team took cap dumps on players that aren't even playing.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
i hate seeing guys walk for nothing, but if KO and Nielsen help us win a cup this year, then i am ok with these two leaving without any return.

That's a big if and you won't know until it's too late.

That the sucky part of the business.

It's Snow's job to analyze and choose wisely.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Better save some dough for the Russian Bear.

:naughty:

the forgotten piece of the puzzle, oh yeah forgot about him. we will need a lot more money, when at mid-season (after scoring 37 goals, and being a + 83) the Bear will force Snow to renegotiate, and will garner a substantial increase... :D

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
the forgotten piece of the puzzle, oh yeah forgot about him. we will need a lot more money, when at mid-season (after scoring 37 goals, and being a + 83) the Bear will force Snow to renegotiate, and will garner a substantial increase... :D

AND once the salary is leaked that he's now making 500k more tha Tavares, HFBoards will go nuts discussing Tavares' feelings

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'd use Nielsen as an example to Tavares that we take care of our own and sign him to a discount, but give him the term as well as a tradeoff. He's got future third or 4th line center written all over him even if he has aged. I'd offer him 6 years at 3.7 million or 3 years at 4 million and go from there...

I know people will scoff at that, but if Okposo walks, and Nielsen walks too you are all but guaranteeing Tavares will be out the door as well when he realizes how difficult it is for the Isles to be loyal and pay guys what they deserve. You can deny it all you want, but it will absolutely have an affect on Tavares. You can't pick and choose when people are professional and when emotion comes into play. That's what agents are there to manipulate.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
I'd use Nielsen as an example to Tavares that we take care of our own and sign him to a discount, but give him the term as well as a tradeoff. He's got future third or 4th line center written all over him even if he has aged. I'd offer him 6 years at 3.7 million or 3 years at 4 million and go from there...

I know people will scoff at that, but if Okposo walks, and Nielsen walks too you are all but guaranteeing Tavares will be out the door as well when he realizes how difficult it is for the Isles to be loyal and pay guys what they deserve. You can deny it all you want, but it will absolutely have an affect on Tavares. You can't pick and choose when people are professional and when emotion comes into play. That's what agents are there to manipulate.

Allow me to be the first one to scoff at this scoff scoff. Okposo and Nielsen leaving will have nothing to do with loyalty and not paying guys what they deserve. It will be because the cap has not gone up enough and doesn't project to in the future. JT I'm almost certain knows the NHL is a hard-cap league and that sometimes you have to make tough decisions. Look at what happened in Chicago. They have lost a bunch of people that helped them win their cups but do you see Toews or Kane complaining about loyalty and trying to leave. On the contrary they signed twin $10.5 AAV deals.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I also don't agree with the filler part though.

No problem then, I know you value players differently than me.

Also, remember when we were guessing contracts way back before free agency. I'm pretty sure we both had Franson at 5 years or more at 5M per or more. :laugh:

BroadwayJay*

No problem then, I know you value players differently than me.

Also, remember when we were guessing contracts way back before free agency. I'm pretty sure we both had Franson at 5 years or more at 5M per or more. :laugh:

I had him at like 7m AAV. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad