Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Celebrini and Smith are much more talented than he was at the same age. Larkin is like a Hertl level fraud "1C."
I mean but are we talking about the same age? I really don’t know the answer and I can look but I haven’t yet. Was Larkin 19-20 when Blashill was there?

You're definitely right that Celebrini and Smith are both better than Larkin at the same age.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I mean but are we talking about the same age? I really don’t know the answer and I can look but I haven’t yet. Was Larkin 19-20 when Blashill was there?
Yes, Blashill coached Detroit during Larkin's rookie NHL season.

Honestly Celebrini and Smith probably aren't more than a year or two (if that) away from being better than what Larkin is right now.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
just signing veterans willy nilly is dumb but the right veteran is 100% worth overpaying for

example i always think of from football is when the 49ers were like the joke of the league (much like the sharks now) and they overpaid to sign Justin Smith who was totally worth it as he was a big part of changing the culture of the team

The Sharks did this too. I consider 24-25 to be one of the "reboot" seasons for the Sharks. IMHO, the first "reboot" season for the Sharks was 97-98. And they went out and added vets, either that offseason or season before. Bernie Nicholls, Bill Houlder, Murray Craven, Stephane Matteau, Tony Granato, Al Iafrate, Dave Lowry, Mike Vernon. After the dismal 95-96 and 96-97 years, these vets really changed the culture of the Sharks.

Not saying today's Sharks should go out and make a ton of veteran additions (After all, back then there was no salary cap), but it has precedent with the Sharks themselves.

Reactions: sharski

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yes, Blashill coached Detroit during Larkin's rookie NHL season.

Honestly Celebrini and Smith probably aren't more than a year or two (if that) away from being better than what Larkin is right now.
Blashill coached from 2015-2022. Here are key players in that time:

15-16: Larkin, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Tatar, Nyquist, Kronwall
16-17: Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, Vanek, Mantha, Larkin, Kronwall, Green
17-18: Larkin, Zetterberg, Mantha, Nyquist, Nielsen, Green, Kronwall, Bertuzzi
18-19: Larkin, AA, Nyquist, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Vanek, Nielsen, Kronwall, Green
19-20: Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Fabbri, Hronek, AA

For some reason the last 2 years rosters arent on Wikipedia. Are these fantastic lists? No. Could Smith and Celebrini have years that are better than those guys? Yes. But I think saying that he’d have more to work with in SJ isn’t quite accurate. I think it’s equivalent at best.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Blashill coached from 2015-2022. Here are key players in that time:

15-16: Larkin, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Tatar, Nyquist, Kronwall
16-17: Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, Vanek, Mantha, Larkin, Kronwall, Green
17-18: Larkin, Zetterberg, Mantha, Nyquist, Nielsen, Green, Kronwall, Bertuzzi
18-19: Larkin, AA, Nyquist, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Vanek, Nielsen, Kronwall, Green
19-20: Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Fabbri, Hronek, AA

For some reason the last 2 years rosters arent on Wikipedia. Are these fantastic lists? No. Could Smith and Celebrini have years that are better than those guys? Yes. But I think saying that he’d have more to work with in SJ isn’t quite accurate. I think it’s equivalent at best.
Most of those players were mediocre or straight up bad when they played for Blashill. Like he had Datsyuk and Zetterberg at the tail end of their careers when they were frequently injured 50 point scorers. Those were some really horrible rosters, some of the worst we've seen in the cap era. Don't get me wrong, the current Sharks roster is right down there with them but the difference is we have elite prospects ready to make the jump.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Most of those players were mediocre or straight up bad when they played for Blashill. Like he had Datsyuk and Zetterberg at the tail end of their careers when they were frequently injured 50 point scorers. Those were some really horrible rosters, some of the worst we've seen in the cap era. Don't get me wrong, the current Sharks roster is right down there with them but the difference is we have elite prospects ready to make the jump.
Sharks were what the second worst in the cap era?

No but you’re definitely right. It could be better but I think you’re also discounting red wings players. Lots of those were 50-70 point scorers or high end dmen. Sharks had one player over 50 points (Granlund). Youre right we could be better but at this moment we aren’t. I just don’t know if we can say Blashill would be better here. He might be! Tampa assistants seem to work okay.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
When Quinn was unexpected fired a year early, I was hoping that Grier had someone that he targeted as a can't miss hiring opportunity. I was hoping that he had someone planned to be the replacement. As this drags on, I'm not so sure Grier targeted someone. Now that we have Celebrini in the bag, the worries I have this offseason is who we're hiring as the next HC and who we'll pick 14AO. With no news on the hiring, this makes me worry. You can't expect to hire someone immediately before the draft or worse after the draft unless Grier doesn't want input from his head coach.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
When Quinn was unexpected fired a year early, I was hoping that Grier had someone that he targeted as a can't miss hiring opportunity. I was hoping that he had someone planned to be the replacement. As this drags on, I'm not so sure Grier targeted someone. Now that we have Celebrini in the bag, the worries I have this offseason is who we're hiring as the next HC and who we'll pick 14AO. With no news on the hiring, this makes me worry. You can't expect to hire someone immediately before the draft or worse after the draft unless Grier doesn't want input from his head coach.

I’d rather they do their due diligence. Still plenty of time left.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks did this too. I consider 24-25 to be one of the "reboot" seasons for the Sharks. IMHO, the first "reboot" season for the Sharks was 97-98. And they went out and added vets, either that offseason or season before. Bernie Nicholls, Bill Houlder, Murray Craven, Stephane Matteau, Tony Granato, Al Iafrate, Dave Lowry, Mike Vernon. After the dismal 95-96 and 96-97 years, these vets really changed the culture of the Sharks.

Not saying today's Sharks should go out and make a ton of veteran additions (After all, back then there was no salary cap), but it has precedent with the Sharks themselves.
The big difference being that when Marleau was drafted, he played right away. If Celebrini and Smith are college bound for another season, the motivation to do something like that probably lessens. Personally, I'd be calling up Bordeleau and Gushchin to play on different lines below Eklund's line, let Graf play in the AHL, and fill the rest of the lineup with vets. This also sort of depends on Couture's health. I would also make room for Mukhamadullin by trading Ferraro for value and eat another year of Vlasic's contract since we're clearly not improving under such a scenario.

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Gushchin-Couture-Kostin
Bordeleau-Sturm-vet?
Smith-vet-vet

Someone like Duclair would be a good fit for that 3rd line winger spot in this scenario. I'd be okay with re-signing Bailey, Carpenter, and MacDonald to be on that 4th line. I may still take a shot at signing someone like Joshua or Stenlund since their term wouldn't be ugly and would bring some versatility to the bottom six which will need it if we're playing Gushchin and Bordeleau on separate lines.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

I feel like Grier was pretty clear that the firing was the outcome of the end of season interviews. I’m coming to the impression that other than the details that should be kept private for personnel or competitive reasons Grier is fairly transparent as to where his mind is at. The Russian scout firing being, like, a great example. When he says that they expect a lengthy process and they don’t have anyone decided yet, I don’t know, maybe that’s exactly what is happening?

I also don’t know that a coach really should have a huge amount of input into the draft beyond maybe the first round? There’s a whole scouting department whose job it is to track, evaluate, and debate the merits of these players across all the junior leagues. Do we really expect a coach to have a meaningful take on which prospect to take in the bottom of the 5th round? Why would the Sharks draft for a coaches’ preference when the coach or their current system could be entirely different by the time the player lands in 2/3/4 years?

Also, I hope you’re not, like, actively worried about these things. My unsolicited advice: we have exactly 0% influence on these outcomes. Have an opinion, discuss freely, enjoy the highs and don’t sweat the lows too much, just, like, enjoy the ride, man 😉

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I'm kinda hoping the Canes get eliminated and we can snatch Rod Brind'amour from them.
In the event that Brind'amour becomes available, he'll have more appealing options than the Sharks. Whoever our next coach is knows going into the job that by the time the Sharks are ready to compete for a playoff spot, he likely won't be the coach anymore, which greatly reduces the field of potential candidates.

They'll fill the position before the draft.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Of all the Sharks coaching candidates that Friedman has mentioned this past week, this is my order:

Sturm
*space*
Halpern
*space*
Warsofsky
Leach
*space*
Blashill
Should be a couple spaces before Blashill

I have this feeling too, and they're just waiting for Ontario's season to finish.

Blashill would be a dumb move for the Sharks imo.
Hope not, an up and coming coach for an up and coming team makes a ton of sense.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I have this feeling too, and they're just waiting for Ontario's season to finish.
As Friedman stated in the podcast, LA has to determine if they will promote him (replacing the interim NHL HC) or let him interview outside of organization. They haven't removed the interim tag and they haven't announced if they will let Sturm interview outside the organization.

AHL division playoffs start today IIRC. (CVF vs Ontario for Pacific) So could be mere days before draft if Ontario goes to finals.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Even if you might not need the input on draft picks from your coach, you would still want to know their general evaluation of your roster and your depth chart goven the opportunity for trades to get more picks or move around.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad