Speculation: Offseason Free Agency thread

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Chuky would be a welcomed addition He can skate score and check.
Chucky doesn’t bring more offence than anyone in our top 6 nor is he more defensively responsibility than anyone in the bottom 6. He’s a fringe NHLer at this point and isn’t a PMD or mid 6 center. In other words, he brings absolutely nothing to the Habs that we need.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Chucky doesn’t bring more offence than anyone in our top 6 nor is he more defensively responsibility than anyone in the bottom 6. He’s a fringe NHLer at this point and isn’t a PMD or mid 6 center. In other words, he brings absolutely nothing to the Habs that we need.
Oh yeah but who else can do this? Huh huh tell me!

Reactions: Skip Bayless

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Tatar, that was tough.

The guy that was benched for Lehkonen and Jake Evans?

Imagine getting 61 points in 68 games in the regular season the year before but then come playoff time the team says “Nah, we’d rather go with the 13 point rookie.” Yeah, much better player.

You should also take a look at how Hoffman has outscored Tatar the last three years.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The guy that was benched for Lehkonen and Jake Evans?

Imagine getting 61 points in 68 games in the regular season the year before but then come playoff time the team says “Nah, we’d rather go with the 13 point rookie.” Yeah, much better player.

You should also take a look at how Hoffman has outscored Tatar the last three years.
You mean the same coaching staff that benched Romanov in favour of Gus/Merrill, forgive me for not assigning any weight to that decision. Your appeal to authority doesn’t change the fact that Tatar is a better hockey player and does everything better, except shoot and when I say everything, I mean everything.

Reactions: shanewalsh

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You mean the same coaching staff that benched Romanov in favour of Gus/Merrill, forgive me for not assigning any weight to that decision. Your appeal to authority doesn’t change the fact that Tatar is a better hockey player and does everything better, except shoot and when I say everything, I mean everything.

Guess the Vegas coaching staff is stupid too. Or maybe it’s the fact Tatar has 12 points in 40 playoff games. Think about that a second. An offensive player contributing a total of 12 points in half a season worth of games. He’s brutal. He’s soft and slow. At the very least Hoffman can score from anywhere and is fast.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
what I said

losing faceoffs in our zone was bad in the playoffs, this has not been addressed

The faceoff situation can be improved for sure, but the reason it stuck out so bad was because of the number of times those losses just happened to end up in the back of the net, or turn into great scoring chances especially in the last two rounds.

The bigger weakness than faceoffs was the way the habs were reacting to lost draws than the losses themselves.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The faceoff situation can be improved for sure, but the reason it stuck out so bad was because of the number of times those losses just happened to end up in the back of the net, or turn into great scoring chances especially in the last two rounds.

The bigger weakness than faceoffs was the way the habs were reacting to lost draws than the losses themselves.
Yeah, the kids need to learn to not lose them cleanly when they lose them.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

It’s not just losing them, it’s how they defend the play afterwards. There were too many plays where the opposition got a great scoring chance (or goal) because they left an open player or open passing lane.

Even when they did win the faceoffs cleanly too many times they’d ring around the boards only to be kept in and they are back defending.

I also think as the young centres get more experience they’ll improve on the dot.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It’s not just losing them, it’s how they defend the play afterwards. There were too many plays where the opposition got a great scoring chance (or goal) because they left an open player or open passing lane.

Even when they did win the faceoffs cleanly too many times they’d ring around the boards only to be kept in and they are back defending.

I also think as the young centres get more experience they’ll improve on the dot.

That's what I said, they have to learn to NOT lose FO's cleanly...

When you lose it cleanly the other players on the ice don't really have time to react to the play, it goes D to D and a high danger one-timer shot on the net.

But yeah being good on FO's comes with experience and you can actually learn the tendencies of your opponent when you face him over and over during your career.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
That's what I said, they have to learn to NOT lose FO's cleanly...

When you lose it cleanly the other players on the ice don't really have time to react to the play, it goes D to D and a high danger one-timer shot on the net.

But yeah being good on FO's comes with experience and you can actually learn the tendencies of your opponent when you face him over and over during your career.

It’s just not about losing faceoffs cleanly (of course you’re right they have to get better and limit those, less icings would help too). Clean faceoff wins shouldn’t result in the amount of scoring chances the opposition got in the playoffs. They need to learn to defend better when that happens. Close off passing lanes, don’t leave an open man.

Like Mike Johnson stated in the Vegas series the left winger could have taken the passing lane away for a set play to Pietrangelo. Anyways with a full training call for Ducharme I expect things like that to get better as the season goes along.

Reactions: Miller Time

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It’s just not about losing faceoffs cleanly (of course you’re right they have to get better and limit those, less icings would help too). Clean faceoff wins shouldn’t result in the amount of scoring chances the opposition got in the playoffs. They need to learn to defend better when that happens. Close off passing lanes, don’t leave an open man.

Like Mike Johnson stated in the Vegas series the left winger could have taken the passing lane away for a set play to Pietrangelo. Anyways with a full training call for Ducharme I expect things like that to get better as the season goes along.
They seemed to manage to clean it up somewhat as that Vegas series advanced and against Tampa it was not that bad.

But of course, it was extremely frustrating watching the same damn play working for Vegas over and over again.

Their forwards were completely neutered, almost all their offensive production came from their D.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Get Chucky Back ASAP
The only thing Chucky can do effectively on the ice is one time the puck on the PP from the right circle and we already signed Hoffman to do exactly that, you could actually argue that Hoffman is the next evolution of Galchenyuk.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It wasn't just the kids...........Pizza Phil lost draws in the Dzone also....
Suzuki for me, seemed to at times, be real bad in the circle...real bad. Love his game, but needs to get better with time, quickly, hopefully.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Suzuki for me, seemed to at times, be real bad in the circle...real bad. Love his game, but needs to get better with time, quickly, hopefully.
losing faceoffs was just as bad as the pp

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Over the last two seasons, Danault has had 955 defensive zone faceoffs with a 49.3 winning %. His % is lower than some of the guys with similar usage. Solid numbers for Danault but he's not elite level on faceoffs. I would say above average ish... in that area of the game. Below are entire NHL and Habs stats.... over the last two seasons.

GQ8RKph.jpg

EE7j6Mu.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Jul 6, 2016
Over the last two seasons, Danault has had 955 defensive zone faceoffs with a 49.3 winning %. His % is lower than some of the guys with similar usage. Solid numbers for Danault but he's not elite level on faceoffs. I would say above average ish... in that area of the game. I showed but entire NHL and Habs stats.... over the last two seasons.

GQ8RKph.jpg

EE7j6Mu.jpg

Luke Glendenning would had been a really good signing....

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Good to know we are still on the Danault case in here

Dude thinks hes a top 6 center and deserves powerplay minutes , little does he know the kids in LA are about to put him back in the third line a year or 2.

The only thing I remember about Danault is during game 6 OT against Toronto. Lost 8 faceoffs in the defensive zone in a row without Tavares playing.

His playstyle in a nutshell.
Danault's signed with L.A. but you still come here to bash him . Haineux vont hainer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00