Speculation: Offseason Free Agency thread

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
If they don't address the faceoff issue, this team could end up amongst the worst in the NHL (in faceoff percentage) . They were probably around the bottom last year too.
When your best is barely above 50%, it's going to be hard, especially on specialty teams.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
If they don't address the faceoff issue, this team could end up amongst the worst in the NHL (in faceoff percentage) . They were probably around the bottom last year too.
When your best is barely above 50%, it's going to be hard, especially on specialty teams.

Danault.png

Danault was way below the 50% mark during the PK, for the last two seasons... Not hard to replace.

Kotkaniemi was winning 58% of his faceoffs during the PP, this season...

Habs will be fine on the dot during the PP and the PK.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
what I said

losing faceoffs in our zone was bad in the playoffs, this has not been addressed

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
I’m not surprised either but wouldn’t put too much stock into Wyshynski‘s grades. He gave A’s to Philly, NJ, and Chicago. He also gave a B+ to Edmonton.

I thought Philly overpaid on the Ristolainen trade and we’ll see how the Ellis trade works out for them.

I thought Chicago did a good job on the Keith trade and getting Fleury for nothing, but I thought they gave up too much for Jones and overpaid him. I’m not sure that contract will be great for 8 years (and it doesn’t kick in till next season).

NJ got the best UFA in Hamilton, but they definitely paid a lot to get him.

I thought the Oilers paid too much to Hyman and Nurse. They still have a big question mark in goal. I think Holland is going to leave a mess for the next GM (like Chiarelli did).

At some point you might have to think that you need to pay to have something you want. So every team that got the player they wanted overpaid in your opinion lol what a weird trend lol

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
At some point you might have to think that you need to pay to have something you want. So every team that got the player they wanted overpaid in your opinion lol what a weird trend lol

I’ve always thought giving long term (7-8 year) contracts to an UFA is a very risky move. Hyman, Nurse, Hamilton, and Jones will all be around 34-35 when their contracts end. That’s a long time to be worth the contract they were given. Looking back at the 2016 UFA class is a prime example of how bad giving long term contracts can be. Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Eriksson turned out all to be bad contracts that were hard to get rid of. Even Seattle, who could have taken an elite goalie like Price, chose not to because of his contract. There is a limit, imo, in going to get the player you want.

On the other hand I like the contracts Makar, Heiskanen, Eriksson Ek were given. They are all going in their prime for the majority of their contracts.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
View attachment 461006

Danault was way below the 50% mark during the PK, for the last two seasons... Not hard to replace.

The only guy left over 50% is Evans. During the regular season, all other current centre's are in the 40's. Suzuki I think being the worst. And he's their number 1. I don't think it'll be as easy as u think.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
690 IS saying what we have been saying

KK needs to step up, or this is a disaster
no PP back end guy

most worried they say

I don't see missing the playoffs this year as a disaster. Our offseason is outrageously short (shortest in NHL history) and we have some key players banged up or out. If we don't make the playoffs, we get a lottery pick in a strong draft to add to our young core of Suzuki, KK, Caufield, Guhle, Romanov etc. If we do make it, let's hope Price gets hot again, our bruising Dmen make life miserable on our opponents, and our PP is better.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I don't see missing the playoffs this year as a disaster. Our offseason is outrageously short (shortest in NHL history) and we have some key players banged up or out. If we don't make the playoffs, we get a lottery pick in a strong draft to add to our young core of Suzuki, KK, Caufield, Guhle, Romanov etc. If we do make it, let's hope Price gets hot again, our bruising Dmen make life miserable on our opponents, and our PP is better.
Agreed.
they won't go to the final again with no centre's

so lottery it is, as long as they don't pick a guy with a record or facing jail time

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
View attachment 461006

God thank you for this
Because despite Danault being decent at face offs, it definitely felt like he was shitting the bed on PK face offs and it was killing our PK numbers for a while

The other problem is unfortunately, Suzuki seems to lose most PP face offs as well, really hurts our set up and PP duration

KK took a giant step forwards on face offs last year, coaching staff didnt seem to notice, hopefully they do in the offseason (or already have?)

I mean.. how do you bring in another center without one we already have going the other way..?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
How is he overpaid? Name me a better forward signed as a UFA that makes $4.5m or less. Will you find a lot that scored 29 goals a year ago? You’ll say Toffoli but that point is moot since he gets more in a non-COVID offseason and he belongs to the Habs.

And your argument about Armia’s worth on the PK being similar as Hoffman’s on the PP is amusing. The Habs have several guys that can do the same job as Armia and none that can do the same as Hoffman.
Tatar, that was tough.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Having a bad season this year isn't the worst thing that can happen.

Giving our young players a chance to grow will be big for the future. Next years draft is a good one and we should be able to get some solid value for a guy like Chiarot at the deadline if we are way out of it.

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Face offs are the most Overated Stat bar none.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Chuky would be a welcomed addition He can skate score and check.

Uhh my guy, "skate" and "check" are not in Galchenyuks vocabulary,..did you at least even watch the f***ing guy? lol

hasnt "score" in a while too for that matter lol

We need a center but people want to bring in a flawed winger...that weve already had... that lit the fire that sent us to the cup final with one of the most egregious turn overs in the history of NHL turn overs.
I loved Galchy when he was here, absolutely I did, but, it didnt work. and it wont ever work.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
IMO Joel Eriksson Ek is the present comparable as a reference point - went from .21PPG as a 20-yr old followed by .24, .46, and .53 this past season his 4th full season at age 24

KKs been .43, .22, .36PPG this past season. Making the jump to .45 - .55PPG this upcoming season is by no means inconceivable

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Good to know we are still on the Danault case in here

Dude thinks hes a top 6 center and deserves powerplay minutes , little does he know the kids in LA are about to put him back in the third line a year or 2.

The only thing I remember about Danault is during game 6 OT against Toronto. Lost 8 faceoffs in the defensive zone in a row without Tavares playing.

His playstyle in a nutshell.

Reactions: zeeto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad