*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
My impressions of the 2nd scrimmage featuring Team Blue and Team Red won by Team Blue 7-6 including shootout goals though none were scored in the shootout post game 0-3 for both teams on that score
For Team Blue,Vail was the best player scoring twice and adding an assist,had some help from Ben Johnson who again was outstanding,chipping in with 3 assists,as well 16 year old rookie forward Aaron Luchuk who had a goal and 2 assists,another rookie 16 year old Michael Andlauer played very well notching a goal and an assist,Mitch Graham was a buzzsaw once scoring twice,including 1 in a shootout,Ryan Markovic was the best Dman as team was down to 4 guys on the back end,scoring once and setting up one,and displaying plenty of poise along the way
Ebert,Sanvido and Kotsovos played well considering it was their 2 game of the day and going with 4 D
Rookie Drew Marlatt shows he can play though he did play better in game 1,while Ty Bilcke was ok did not do much to impress
Goalie Brendan Johnston was solid just allowing 1 goal during his time,though he did allow 3 goals in the 1st half shootout
Eli Billing allowed 2 goals during his stint during play but was a perfect 3-3 in saves in the game ending shootout
All in all a pretty good day for him considering
Regarding Team Red,here are my impressions,Slater Koekkoek impressed me the most from the D,headmanning the puck with confidence,steady on D,scored a goal and was a force thruout,I thought Bowen played pretty good overall,though he does tend to handle the puck like a brick,Bateman was steady but not outstanding,rrookie Andrew Burns I did not notice much this time,upfront Josh HoSang was very good scored twice including a shootout and was a threat most of the time,the line of rookie Ryan Moore-Rychel and Marchese played pretty well,Marchese with 2,Moore with one,Rychel had a lone assist,thought he could have played better,Moore shows alot of potential,dogged determination and foot speed are some of his assets
Forwards Jared Leslie,Matt Hudie,Antron Trublin and Cam Hughes showed flashes of talent,expect to see more from each going forward
As for the goaltenders Paolo Battistti was by far the better goalie allowing 1 goal in the session and 1 goal in the shootout,while Dalen Kuchmey struggled in the session allowing 5 goals and was clearly frustrated by sessions end though he did stop all 3 of his shootout attempts at games end
Should be interesting tomorrow,hopefully the bodies dont continue dropping like flies like today wound up being neccessating in the scrimmage setup mentioned above
2nd yr forward Ryan Verbeek has not skated yet has out for about a week or so,while Seiloff and others were pretty dinged up by days end
More to come

jughead42*

That's a terrific post Otto. Some people might not remember but in September of 1997 expectations were very high in Spitfire land. They had a lot of veteran players with a lot of talent. They had guys like Martin, Sarno, Crawford, Hansen, Cooke, Zehr, Lankshear, Mando, Elich, Brennan, young 1st rounder Mike Rupp. As any team there were questions in regards to D and goaltending but they had the pieces in place to contend. Things started off a little rocky but they pounded Sarnia and Belleville and things looked to be on the upswing. Well after that game against Belleville a lot of the players went out to party and missed curfew. Mike Awender promptly suspended all the players involved and the purge was on. They didn't win another game for 2-3 weeks and guys like Crawford, Cooke, Elich, Zehr, Rupp, Brennan were all moved over the next few months. Those trades never really panned out Windsor didn't get a lot of value back in any of those deals except Jason Ward. They could have gotten Paul Mara but the Spits had a poor rep and he didn't want to play in Windsor.

I remember this, it was quite the let down. I'm not sure how that relates to Johnson however, it seems to suggest that dealing harshly with players in trouble isn't always beneficial to the organization, which would support having Ben in camp. It's a non issue for me until after the case is settled, until then play on. Maybe it's a bit of a red flag about our organization's attitude, but it's more likely an isolated incident of a kid making a mistake. I'm sure Kitchener and London aren't perfect little angels all the time, you don't hear about them getting into trouble (with the emphasis on hear about) but all teams have incidents of players doing stupid things away from the ice. I vaguely recall something about the Knights acting like totaly ********** in a hotel not too long ago. It's not sexual assault allegations I realize, but it does suggest that the "boys will be boys" attitude is something that is league wide, not isolated in the Spitfires organization. It's not something that will keep us from being successful in other words. Ben was pretty good from what I saw out there today, if this experience teaches him a valuable life lesson and motivates him to be better person and player because of it, then I would say the Spitfires handled it pretty well.

The message could be we will support your kid even when they screw up & are in hot water.

Your posts are always so concise, to the point and 100% on the money. Thank you for that. The Spitfires are a surrogate family to these players, and you should stick up for your family when they screw up.

Just getting back fro todays scrimmage pm session with news that there has been a change
management because of a hugh rash of injuries are combining 2 teams to 1 so there will no practice tomorrow at 9 am just a scrimmage at 10.15 and 3 pm
This is the 1st time I have seen this happen under this ownership group,too many injuries to go with 3 teams
It has not been overly physical at camp but clearly many for what ever reason are dinged up
In the afternoon session Grahame Brown did not play because of concussion symptoms suffered this morning and Chris Cobham for the same Blue missed because of back spasms occuring on his last shift in the 1st scrimmage
I will post updates later this evening my impressions of the 2nd scrimmage

I don't know about you, but when I hear about a lot of injuries during a non physical camp, I think about conditioning issues. I could be wrong, but it sounds that way to me. I only caught the first half of morning scrimmage and I wasn't overly impressed by what I saw. The very best players on our team looked good, sieloff, vail and johnson. However nothing really blew me away among the rest of the group. Normally after going to these camp scrimmages I come away with impressions on a handful of guys, but after this morning the only thing that stood out to me was how unimpressed I was with the import pick Yazkov. He didn't seem to fight for the puck, he looked like a guy who was going to stand around and let other guys do the work for him. I can sort of tolerate this a bit if you are absolutely dynamic once you get the puck, but he didn't impress me much when he had it either. I'm pretty sketchy about this guy, he's a lot closer to being an Ionin or a Bezuch than he is to being Khokhlachev or Loktionov. Normally camp gets me jacked up about the season, but Yazkov's pedestrian efforts completely sapped me of my enthusiasm. My opinion seems to be backed up by nobody even making mention of his play this morning. It's only one scrimmage, no big deal I hope. Sounds like team Red can give me some hope if I make it to tomorrow morning's scrimmage.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
My impressions of the 2nd scrimmage featuring Team Blue and Team Red won by Team Blue 7-6 including shootout goals though none were scored in the shootout post game 0-3 for both teams on that score
For Team Blue,Vail was the best player scoring twice and adding an assist,had some help from Ben Johnson who again was outstanding,chipping in with 3 assists,as well 16 year old rookie forward Aaron Luchuk who had a goal and 2 assists,another rookie 16 year old Michael Andlauer played very well notching a goal and an assist,Mitch Graham was a buzzsaw once scoring twice,including 1 in a shootout,Ryan Markovic was the best Dman as team was down to 4 guys on the back end,scoring once and setting up one,and displaying plenty of poise along the way
Ebert,Sanvido and Kotsovos played well considering it was their 2 game of the day and going with 4 D
Rookie Drew Marlatt shows he can play though he did play better in game 1,while Ty Bilcke was ok did not do much to impress
Goalie Brendan Johnston was solid just allowing 1 goal during his time,though he did allow 3 goals in the 1st half shootout
Eli Billing allowed 2 goals during his stint during play but was a perfect 3-3 in saves in the game ending shootout
All in all a pretty good day for him considering
Regarding Team Red,here are my impressions,Slater Koekkoek impressed me the most from the D,headmanning the puck with confidence,steady on D,scored a goal and was a force thruout,I thought Bowen played pretty good overall,though he does tend to handle the puck like a brick,Bateman was steady but not outstanding,rrookie Andrew Burns I did not notice much this time,upfront Josh HoSang was very good scored twice including a shootout and was a threat most of the time,the line of rookie Ryan Moore-Rychel and Marchese played pretty well,Marchese with 2,Moore with one,Rychel had a lone assist,thought he could have played better,Moore shows alot of potential,dogged determination and foot speed are some of his assets
Forwards Jared Leslie,Matt Hudie,Antron Trublin and Cam Hughes showed flashes of talent,expect to see more from each going forward
As for the goaltenders Paolo Battistti was by far the better goalie allowing 1 goal in the session and 1 goal in the shootout,while Dalen Kuchmey struggled in the session allowing 5 goals and was clearly frustrated by sessions end though he did stop all 3 of his shootout attempts at games end
Should be interesting tomorrow,hopefully the bodies dont continue dropping like flies like today wound up being neccessating in the scrimmage setup mentioned above
2nd yr forward Ryan Verbeek has not skated yet has out for about a week or so,while Seiloff and others were pretty dinged up by days end
More to come

Great write up HockeyLegend11.

Markovic flew under the radar last year, Windsor had him rated second round. He has a burly side to his game. He just goes in and over-powers players, that should continue as he gets stronger. Smart selection.

Glad to hear Hosang played so well. Just an outstanding talent when he is focused. It will be very interesting to see how his 2nd year is. Not sure if he will be a 60 point guy or 85 point guy, I can see either happening.

Trublin has outstanding top speed, probably his best asset. Played on a line with Mitchell Stephens toward the end of the season and had no issue keeping up. He should continue to develop and get stronger this year.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I do find it amazing the star will print negative slanted stories about the local hockey team. But when it comes to local dictatorship.. err politics, nothing but sunshine & rainbows. Hmmm.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I remember this, it was quite the let down. I'm not sure how that relates to Johnson however, it seems to suggest that dealing harshly with players in trouble isn't always beneficial to the organization, which would support having Ben in camp. It's a non issue for me until after the case is settled, until then play on. Maybe it's a bit of a red flag about our organization's attitude, but it's more likely an isolated incident of a kid making a mistake. I'm sure Kitchener and London aren't perfect little angels all the time, you don't hear about them getting into trouble (with the emphasis on hear about) but all teams have incidents of players doing stupid things away from the ice. I vaguely recall something about the Knights acting like totaly ********** in a hotel not too long ago. It's not sexual assault allegations I realize, but it does suggest that the "boys will be boys" attitude is something that is league wide, not isolated in the Spitfires organization. It's not something that will keep us from being successful in other words. Ben was pretty good from what I saw out there today, if this experience teaches him a valuable life lesson and motivates him to be better person and player because of it, then I would say the Spitfires handled it pretty well.

I don't know about you, but when I hear about a lot of injuries during a non physical camp, I think about conditioning issues. I could be wrong, but it sounds that way to me. I only caught the first half of morning scrimmage and I wasn't overly impressed by what I saw. The very best players on our team looked good, sieloff, vail and johnson. However nothing really blew me away among the rest of the group. Normally after going to these camp scrimmages I come away with impressions on a handful of guys, but after this morning the only thing that stood out to me was how unimpressed I was with the import pick Yazkov. He didn't seem to fight for the puck, he looked like a guy who was going to stand around and let other guys do the work for him. I can sort of tolerate this a bit if you are absolutely dynamic once you get the puck, but he didn't impress me much when he had it either. I'm pretty sketchy about this guy, he's a lot closer to being an Ionin or a Bezuch than he is to being Khokhlachev or Loktionov. Normally camp gets me jacked up about the season, but Yazkov's pedestrian efforts completely sapped me of my enthusiasm. My opinion seems to be backed up by nobody even making mention of his play this morning. It's only one scrimmage, no big deal I hope. Sounds like team Red can give me some hope if I make it to tomorrow morning's scrimmage.

It was just an example of discipline Awender believed in blowing it up. I don't believe the Spits should blow it up at least wait 15 or so games but the discipline in this organization is a complete 180. I don't think other organizations are perfect but they also don't seem to have players that act the fool and get put on the front page of the paper. I hope Johnson does have a good year but I am sure there's a better way of using something as motivation than to have 2 charges of sexual assault against you.

As for camp observations Yazkov did come in with the rep of not always being engaged and wanting to coast. Production of players in exhibition and how they play will tell me a fair bit because there will still be a lot of players in the lineup that are expected to be in the everyday lineup come Sept 19th.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Since I blew the morning scrimmage...anyone know who plays this afternoon.
Thanks...

punch1943

3.00 this afternoon Team Red vs Team White,they have combined 3 teams into 2 as mentioned because of injuries,not sure who is playing this pm,more injuries in am session
see report below

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Here is my report/analysis on this mornings scrimmage won by Team white 7-5 in a fight filled affair especially the 3rd period when there were 5 fights
Dealing with the scoring 1st,Nikita Yazkov led the white team with 3 goals including 1 in a shootout,his best performance to date with singles coming from Chris Marchese more about him later,Mason Schmitt,Anthony Marra, and Matt Hudie
For team Red Ryan Foss,Tye Bilcke,Josh Hosang,Jared Leslie and Colin Moore scored,the last 2 being shootout goals
Goaltending wise all played well except Dekort,who allowed 3 goals in the 3rd as well as a shootout goal by Yazkov,Billing for Team Whitel allowed 1 in his period and half plus a shhoout goal,Johnston allowed 2 plus a shootout goal for team White,Kuchmey bounced back from yesterday allowing 1 goal in a shootout,Battisti allowed 1 goal in reg play and 1 in a shootout
Injuries again were the order of the day,2 players at least suffered camp ending injuries,Anthony Marra for Team White was dazed in the 1st period on a high hit from Seiloff and did not return too bad he scored today and had 4 pts yesterday in the 2 scrimmages,my thinking is his camp is over for the 19 year old,whiel the other known i
injury is forward Chris Marchese who suffered a separated shoulder after a tussle with Pat Seiloff which started after Marchese got bowled over on a hit by Seiloff,Marchese went after him with a hit,Seiloff slashed and away they went,it was over quickly as Seiloff tugged and Marchese was injured right away
5 other fights occurred in this session,starting with Kerby Rychel fighting rookie Bryce Mayea a 6"4' 220 -17 year old,Rychel got the edge but the kid is pretty strong,this was followed by 2 fights between 19 year olds Alex Morgan and John Bowen,with Bowen winning the 1st and a draw in the 2nd ,more infighting and strength battles then punches
Tye Bilcke got the jump on Zack Percy and pounded out a decision,with the last fight the most intense of all between 2 bantomweights Mitch Graham and Matt Kenney,a rock em sock em,intight bout that was rather entertaining with Graham getting the decision
Now my thoughts on the scrimmage,certainly alot more intense,up temple play,loose at times,some fine play from Yazkov,Graham,Luchuk,Mayea,Schmitt,Ebert,Giftopoulous,Murphy from Team White,u can toss in Koekkoek, and goalies Johnston and Billing
Percy and Bowen for Team White were strong too,while rookie Matt Hudie had his best scrimmage to date
For Team Red,Ryan Foss continued his solid play,HoSang too though not as good as yesterday,Jared Leslie with a goal and 2 assists played his best so far,Rookie D Andrew Burns also played very well for Team Red,Pat Seiloff was his usual physical as mentioned above,Ryker Killins played well too for the red squad,Tye Bilcke scored the pretty goal of the session ,great shot busting thru the defense on the play,rookie Ryan Moore did not show much in this session,while Matt Kenney struggled a bit offensively, while Cam Hughes tried to play with more of a purpose this session
Grahame Brown,Ryan Verbeek along with Chris Cobham and Antron Trublin missed the session with injuries,Trublin suffered a separated shoulder yesterday,while Cobham is suffering from a back injury
Todays injuries add to the mix with Marchese out maybe long term and Marra who was playing well
It is chance for forwards Hughes,Graham,Foss,Kenney,Leslie.Luchuck and perhaps Morgan and Matt Hudie to show more of what they can do
Things are getting interesting,especially because of the injuries in camp,especially upfront

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
punch1943

3.00 this afternoon Team Red vs Team White,they have combined 3 teams into 2 as mentioned because of injuries,not sure who is playing this pm,more injuries in am session
see report below

Appreciate it thanks Legend. The teams I wanted to see the most...
Great report in the next message.....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Good move getting into a fight in training camp and separating a shoulder. Allowing fights in training camp sounds pretty silly. This Marchese injury can't be used as an excuse for the team struggling because it was in a needless situation.

jughead42*

Good move getting into a fight in training camp and separating a shoulder. Allowing fights in training camp sounds pretty silly. This Marchese injury can't be used as an excuse for the team struggling because it was in a needless situation.

I have a theory about guys who are ALWAYS injured, they aren't injury prone because they play a physical style that puts their health in danger, they are injury prone because they are big wimps with no mental fortitude. When a guy is constantly out of the lineup you really have to wonder how bad he wants to be in there. Marchese hasn't done much since arriving in Windsor aside from spending time in the trainers room. He can stay there and give somebody with a bit of sack some playing time. Tired of that guy, he gets a mosquito bite and needs to miss a couple of games because he's too itchy to play, screw him. I don't have a problem with fighting in camp though, its what camp is all about: show the coaches who will and who will not do anything to help the team win.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

While I understand your point,in this case Marchese had just been rocked by Seiloff,and I am sure Marchese was pretty pissed,so he he took a run at Seiloff,Seiloff responded with a wicked slash,dropped the gloves,he grabbed marchese which popped the shoulder imo
In this case I dont blame Marchese,after being thru 2 concussions last season and I was from ahit in practice fromSeiloff the 1st 1 I beleive I am sure Marchese had enough
Too bad for the result,but it opens opp for others

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Yes, thx legend and everyone for their views.I went yesterday morn. and watched 2 periods.But couldnt find a lineup on paper to follow.A bit disorganized they could have had the lineups on a table at both entrances.Hard to follow trying to see the names on back of jersyes.

I like that Mayea kid alot, some good hustle out there dispite the sloppy play.

I thought BB had said no fighting would be allowed but I guess boys will be boys.

You would think the vet's would watch Marchese a bit since he did suffer a concussion whats the point of rough play against him in training camp.Try to keep everyone healthy as long as possible.

As for Duff's article against Johnson, where was he in defending Windsor and Windsor fan's against the league's choice for mem cup selection.? Glad I dont sub to that rag anymore.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Yes, thx legend and everyone for their views.I went yesterday morn. and watched 2 periods.But couldnt find a lineup on paper to follow.A bit disorganized they could have had the lineups on a table at both entrances.Hard to follow trying to see the names on back of jersyes.

I like that Mayea kid alot, some good hustle out there dispite the sloppy play.

I thought BB had said no fighting would be allowed but I guess boys will be boys.

You would think the vet's would watch Marchese a bit since he did suffer a concussion whats the point of rough play against him in training camp.Try to keep everyone healthy as long as possible.

As for Duff's article against Johnson, where was he in defending Windsor and Windsor fan's against the league's choice for mem cup selection.? Glad I dont sub to that rag anymore.

Well 108 if you thought it was bad without lineups, it should be horrendous this afternoon as players will get shifted about even more so.
I'd imagine you might even see a regular coach behind the bench to keep the fisticuffs to a minimum.The way it's going it looks like the last men standing will make up the roster.....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
While I understand your point,in this case Marchese had just been rocked by Seiloff,and I am sure Marchese was pretty pissed,so he he took a run at Seiloff,Seiloff responded with a wicked slash,dropped the gloves,he grabbed marchese which popped the shoulder imo
In this case I dont blame Marchese,after being thru 2 concussions last season and I was from ahit in practice fromSeiloff the 1st 1 I beleive I am sure Marchese had enough
Too bad for the result,but it opens opp for others

I understand your point as well. Marchese is probably at fault for responding to Sieloff and Sieloff is responsible for escalating it beyond that point. I disagree with Jughead about fighting in training camp I doubt you will see somebody trying to fight McDavid, I doubt somebody will fight Domi etc.. You save it for the opponent you can build a hate on for. I just think it looks silly when 2 19 year olds want to fight who are guaranteed roster spots, especially after all the injuries that have happened prior to that.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I have a theory about guys who are ALWAYS injured, they aren't injury prone because they play a physical style that puts their health in danger, they are injury prone because they are big wimps with no mental fortitude. When a guy is constantly out of the lineup you really have to wonder how bad he wants to be in there. Marchese hasn't done much since arriving in Windsor aside from spending time in the trainers room. He can stay there and give somebody with a bit of sack some playing time. Tired of that guy, he gets a mosquito bite and needs to miss a couple of games because he's too itchy to play, screw him. I don't have a problem with fighting in camp though, its what camp is all about: show the coaches who will and who will not do anything to help the team win.

Yeah, Marchese should have played through a severe concussion, and he's probably faking his separated shoulder. I don't think the kid likes playing hockey anymore - but questioning a concussion and separated shoulder... it's not not like he's missing time because of a ear ache.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Some thoughts on what happened this morning:

- Mayea v. Rychel was nothing much. Rychel hit the guy hard, the guy slashed Rychel, so Rychel turned around and they went. I'm not surprised that it happened as Rychel isn't normally the type to back away if challenge. He wasn't looking for it, but can back it up. Lots of wrestling, some in-close shots.

- Bowen v. Morgan - Round 1 - Off a draw at center, you could see this coming. Lots of wrestling, Bowen got in a few good shots in-close. Edge to Bowen.

- Bilcke v. Percy - They had been talking all game and I was waiting for this one. They meet up in the east end, hug, and drop 'em. Percy put up a decent fight, but Bilcke had him bent over and was throwing some pretty good lefts. Decision to Bilcke.

- Bowen v. Morgan - Round 2 - Right after the Bilcke fight, they drop 'em off the draw. Morgan more than held his own, even had a pretty good advantage at one point. Calling this a draw. Morgan showing he can handle himself, though he doesn't throw much. Very strong kid, though.

- Marchese v. Sieloff - This wasn't a "fight", though they dropped 'em. Sieloff hit, Marchese returns it, Sieloff gives him a whack, Marchese goes after him. Tug, tug, Marchese down, Sieloff backs away. Marchese with injured shoulder. This looked like a freak accident, so I don't blame either guy. Do I want Marchese fighting cause of his concussion problems? No. Does stuff happen in the heat-of-the-moment? Yes. Hopefully Marchese is alright.

- Kenney v. Graham - Two little guys (5'7 160 v. 5'9 168) going toe-to-toe near the benches. Most entertaining fight by a fair stretch, from what I remember. Two guys literally fighting for spots, though I'm not sure how much shot Kenney has at this point. Graham could earn a spot, he's the "waterbug" out there.

Hahaha, during the second Bowen/Morgan fight, someone in the stands yelled out "really??" Welcome to training camp :laugh:

As for the game itself...

- I was kind of impressed by Ho-Sang. I say "kind of" because, early on, he was doing his usual dangle-through-everyone routine. However, he did pass the puck far more as the game went on. I even told Legend "breaking news: Ho-Sang just completed a pass", haha.

- Our young d-men (guys like Burns and Murray) seemed to be very poised on the blue-line. They weren't making rash decisions.

- Bilcke, even with his fight, had a solid scrimmage. He was hitting everything in sight and had a few good scoring chances. One of which was a nice move on the d-man before putting it home. I think that had the loudest applause of the scrimmage, too!

- Yazkov seems to be settling in a bit more. At times, he looks frustrated and he's unsure of what to do, but at other times he carries the puck in and knows where people are on the ice. Given the massive adjustment period, I'm going easy on him.

- Mitch Graham keeps impressing me. I can see him earning a roster spot. He's tiny (5'9 168), but he's all over the ice and doing whatever he can. Like I said above, he's the "waterbug" (props to Legend for that). If he can find his offence, kind of reminds me a bit of Eric Locke...kind of.

- Stephen Janes seems to be coming as advertised - big body who can do a bit of everything. He'll put the puck on net, get a scoring chance, then nail the guy in the corner to get the puck back. Tough to place my finger on who he reminds me of.

- Thanks to Legend for posting the goaltending information. Tough for me to get a good read when they're constantly in-and-out of the net. I don't know how coaches do it.

Allowing fights in training camp sounds pretty silly.

Yes and no. The Sieloff/Marchese fight was not necessary, but I can understand the rest of them. You've got guys wanting that final spot, so they'll do whatever it takes to get it. Look at who got into the fights - Percy, Morgan (x2), Graham, Mayea, and Kenney. All are guys who are either rookies or on the bubble. It's not always smart, as, like Marchese, injuries happen, but it's understandable.

For me, this depends on what he's been cleared for. If he's cleared for contact and is ready to play, you can't necessarily tell guys "go easy on him." No, they're playing for spots, too. A guy like Sieloff isn't going to go "oh, it's Marchese, I shouldn't hit him as hard." I'm not sure I'd want him doing that, simply because that doesn't help his game.

I disagree with Jughead about fighting in training camp I doubt you will see somebody trying to fight McDavid, I doubt somebody will fight Domi etc..

Why would they fight Domi or McDavid, regardless? If you're going to try to make a name for yourself, you don't go after the goal scorers. It's like saying "I'm trying to fight for a spot on the team, so I'm going after Ho-Sang." If I'm in Erie camp, I'm going after guys like Crisp, Pelech, or Dane Fox. If I'm in London, it's Ryan Rupert, Josh Anderson, or Paxton Leroux.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Attended the afternoon scrimmage won 9-8 in a shootout,it was tied 6-6 after reg play,5 of the nine goals scored by Team Red were by way of a shootout,with rookie Ryan Moore scoring twice in shootouts and 1 goal in reg play, other goals from team red were Rychel in a shootout,Bilcke in a shootout,Leslie in a shootout,Matt Kenney had 1,Ryan Foss was probably Tea, Reds best player as he had 2 goals and an assist all in reg play,he surely is making case to stick around thats for sure,very impressive looking youngster
All the goalies played well despite the high number of shootout goals,as Jordan Dekort sat this one out
Players from Team red such as Liam Murray,Andrew Burns,Cameron Hughes,Ryan Murphy had solid efforts,while 16 year olds Markovic and Andlauer showed the effects of playing alot of hockey in a short space of time
For Team White,Matt Hudie,Bryce Mayea played very in this session,along with 16 year old Aaron Luchuk,Mayea particularly intruiging,big hulk of a 17 year old 6'5" 220,with decent skills and hockey smarts
This kid has grown on me more each day will be curious to see what happens going forward with guy seems to have some nice upside
White team veterans Vail.Ebert.Koekkoek,Murphy,Giftopoulous and Janes all played very well in this session
There were no fights in this contest,perhaps they were all tuckered out from the 1st scrimmage,though management did put Morgan and Bowen on the same team for this one,maybe management said that was enough for today boys who knows
There was not as much hitting in this scrimmage although there were still a couple of good ones without retalation

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Afternoon Session

After missing the fireworks in the morning session I was able to catch the afternoon match-up. The bubble boys did everything to try to make an impression while the vets in a lot of cases took it easy.

It looked as if Ho-sang took a bit of a bang and Percy wasn't too pleased with a thump he took from Hughes.

In particular I thought new comers.. Mayea, Schmitt, Markovic, R. Moore, Andlauer and Hughes did well.
I wonder if the guys from the US (Hudie,Schmitt) can play in the game Thursday...how many days can they stay without screwing up eligibility?

With all the injuries/players going to training camps I'm guessing there won't be too many cuts for a bit excepting a couple goalies.

Seems to me we have about 7-8 smurfs battling for a couple jobs..they have been the most speedy, energetic and creative players but you can only have so many.
[Leslie,Trublin,Graham,Killins,Moore,Luchuk,Marra,Kenney and a few more].

Janes looked top notch in the games I saw him in.

So far it appears the #1 goaltender job is probably DeKorts to lose...

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A huge you are welcome to all those who have thanked yours truly for posting scrimmage info re the Spits
Getting down to crunch time at Spits camp,with the Blue and White game tomorrow
The injury list is quite long,Verbeek has not played at camp due to a leg injury,Marchese is dealing with a shoulder issue understand it popped out,trying to find out the scoop,Graehame Brown suffers from a concussion,Anthony Marra was injured this am with a suspected concussion,Antron Trubliin is done too with a shoulder sep suffered yesterday in the pm
As well 16 Year old Michael Andlauer-RW and 17 year old Mason Schmitt-Lw have left camp due to high school commitments in their respective cities
I am sure forwards such as Ryan Foss,Matt Kenney,Mitch Graham,Aaron Luchuck,Chris Cobham if he plays has missed the last 1 1/2 days with back spasms,Jared Leslie,Cameron Hughes and Matt Hudie will be looking to impress the coaching staff to stay on further
With the injuries to Marchese and Verbeek,and the upcoming NHL camps for 9 Spitfires inclding 4 forwards,there is a window of oppourturity for some to play their way into the lineup
The early betting in my view would be Foss,Graham,Hughes,with Cobham,Luchuk,Leslie and Kenney not far off but they need to close the gap
Matt Hudie will have to shine tomorrow to get a real look,though I must say he has gotten better each day
On the back end Murray,Burns and Kotsovos will have to play well tomorrow to keep on going,but NHL camps coming up Burns and Murray because they are signed will get a look,while Kotsovos who has been steady but not great will have to step up to get a longer look
Its unfortunate most of the injuries have occurred upfront,just 1 D guy has been hurt and thats Brown
As for the goal tending things are interesting here,Dekort probably wont play tomorrow nite,leaving Johnston and Battistti and Kuchmey as well as Billing to tend goal
After a couple of days Battistti and Johnston have outplayed Kuchmey overall though Kuchmey was the best goalie today of all 5 in camp
Will be curious tomorrow Battisti might have a shot here to wrestle the job away from Kuchmey guess we will see

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just got word,u can add goalie Jordan Dekort to the injury list,he went home sick with the flu after this morning"s session which explains his absence from this afternoon"s scrimmage,also explains why his play was rather flat this morning,hope he recovers quickly
Like I said I dont expect him to play tomorrow anyways

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's awful; he was just getting going. I just hope people don't blame Sieloff as it didn't look like anything out of the ordinary. I wonder if the tug did it, or if he broke it when they hit the ice? Either way, freak thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad