*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's 1000% patently false. They probably told you that because the accident report would have been a huge hassle to go through depending on the type of accident it was. Some officers have told me depending on how many witnesses an accident report will take up well over 10 hours of their time. Also keep in mind this was a car accident if anybody was actually hurt then there would have been the impetus to make a huge report.

It wasn't a major accident; a minor sideswipe that bent my door in a bit. It was drivable and everything, just needed some side-work. Took a few days to fix and it was all done with.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Great posts by CFaub and Punch sums it up very well. Warren said he wants 7 20 goal guys but that isn't a lot of goals collectively only 140, what are your remaining 5forwards and 6 D going to provide? The team hopefully is healthier but there's no guarantee every team gets hit by injuries. Last year it hurt because the 30 cards were put to poor use. Better use of the cards will help if there are injuries because right now the depth is lacking and as CFaub said there aren't many options via trade due to lack of picks.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Great posts by CFaub and Punch sums it up very well. Warren said he wants 7 20 goal guys but that isn't a lot of goals collectively only 140, what are your remaining 5forwards and 6 D going to provide? The team hopefully is healthier but there's no guarantee every team gets hit by injuries. Last year it hurt because the 30 cards were put to poor use. Better use of the cards will help if there are injuries because right now the depth is lacking and as CFaub said there aren't many options via trade due to lack of picks.

I can see
20 goals from 7 players,with 25 plus from Rychel,Johnson,GiftopoLous and Ho Sang,in fact I think 8 of the 9 forwards have potential and with Rychel potentially 45 or 50 its fine with me
The defence returns amongst the highest goals and pts in the O,in fact I think its the highest in pts

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If Rychel makes the WJC, I don't see him scoring 40, let alone 50. The chemistry he had with Koko is going to be tough to top, and it was evident last year that they fed off each other in a big way. I can see him getting 35 with the WJC, maybe 40 without it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I can see
20 goals from 7 players,with 25 plus from Rychel,Johnson,GiftopoLous and Ho Sang,in fact I think 8 of the 9 forwards have potential and with Rychel potentially 45 or 50 its fine with me
The defence returns amongst the highest goals and pts in the O,in fact I think its the highest in pts

We will see on the D I believe other teams that had a lot of production from their D were Erie and Sarnia and that didn't exactly pan out. I wouldn't mind if their production wasn't as high and more attention to detail on work in their own end.

I can buy Rychel and Ho-Sang getting 25. I think Giftopolous will get 20. Johnson will be under a microscope and he will have to produce. If the season goes south quickly the heat will be on Johnson and the organization. This is why what Punch mentioned early is important a lot of home games early they need to take care of business because from November-January the schedule isn't kind.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
We will see on the D I believe other teams that had a lot of production from their D were Erie and Sarnia and that didn't exactly pan out. I wouldn't mind if their production wasn't as high and more attention to detail on work in their own end.

I can buy Rychel and Ho-Sang getting 25. I think Giftopolous will get 20. Johnson will be under a microscope and he will have to produce. If the season goes south quickly the heat will be on Johnson and the organization. This is why what Punch mentioned early is important a lot of home games early they need to take care of business because from November-January the schedule isn't kind.

I do think this team will be better on the back end this season and u are right re Johnson and getting off to a good start with the home game top heavy early schedule

CBJWhaler

Jan 10, 2013
Livonia, Michigan
Spitfire Pre-Season game VS the Whalers this Saturday @ Eddie Edger arena in Livonia Tickets are $10 pregame and $12 @ the door.

One hundred percent of the proceeds generated in the game benefit the Livonia Fallen Heroes Memorial at the Larry Nehasil Park in Livonia.

So come out and help benefit a good cause and watch some good hockey.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Was just at the arena picking my seasons, saw a handful of guys on the ice getting some practice in: Rychel, Moore, Ho-Sang, Burns, and Johnson!

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Congrats to Henri re-signing with the Devils $24M over six years.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The article basically stated that Johnson was initially banned from the county, other than for legal matters/court appearances. Now, he's allowed to be with the team and play, but cannot discuss the matter with any witnesses.

"Windsor Spitfires forward Ben Johnson is back in Windsor after a court changed his bail conditions Wednesday.

Johnson, who is facing sexual assault charges in connection with two incidents that allegedly took place in the washrooms of local bars earlier this year, was banned from drinking alcohol, going to bars, possessing weapons and entering Essex County except for court appearances and legal matters.

The change in bail conditions allows Johnson to be in Essex County and to be with the team. He is forbidden from discussing the case with witnesses, some of whom are his teammates.

The 19-year-old Johnson, who was released on $30,000 bail March 19, attended a team function at Devonshire Mall Friday and will report to training camp at the WFCU Centre Monday."

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
Going to the exhibition vs. Plymouth at the W#$& Centre. We haven't been to the new barn yet, and we're looking forward to it.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but how is the restaurant in the rink? The menu looks good, albeit a bit pricy, but we want to check it out before the game.

Those of you who have eaten there, what's your opinion?

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
It's not a bad place, just pricey. Usually pretty busy on game nights. Staff is attentive and food gets out pretty quick.

OK, thanks a lot. We don't get much poutine here in southern Ohio, so I saw that and I was pretty much sold. :)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
OK, thanks a lot. We don't get much poutine here in southern Ohio, so I saw that and I was pretty much sold. :)

Hahaha, no, no, no...if you're going to get poutine here, I know a place downtown you NEED to hit. That's all they serve and I've heard nothing but good.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Bob Duff sums it up well on Ben Johnson. Surprised reading the article Boughner comes off as very naïve.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/08/26/duff-spits-forward-johnson-back-in-the-fold/

wow, he really does sound naive....i understand sticking up for team and all but there is an undeniable social responsibility that an organization like the spitfires take upon themselves by default...he would have come across much better skirting the issue or ''issue before the courts, no comment' than what comes across as 'it doesnt matter to me' sound byte.

etr102

Mar 7, 2010
Windsor, ON
wow, he really does sound naive....i understand sticking up for team and all but there is an undeniable social responsibility that an organization like the spitfires take upon themselves by default...he would have come across much better skirting the issue or ''issue before the courts, no comment' than what comes across as 'it doesnt matter to me' sound byte.

Social responsibility? Johnson hasn't been convicted yet. Until he is, it should be business as usual. If he is innocent, would it be fair to have ended his hockey career before it ever began? Is that really the right thing to do?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Social responsibility? Johnson hasn't been convicted yet. Until he is, it should be business as usual. If he is innocent, would it be fair to have ended his hockey career before it ever began? Is that really the right thing to do?

So you would be in favor of bringing in Dalton Young then? Continuing there should be some sense of social responsibility. Regardless of conviction or acquittal there should be some sort of discipline from the Spitfires. If Clark and Bowen are suspended by the team for 3 games for not being charged with anything but breaking team rules. Johnson is charged with either a summary or indictable offense hasn't really been mentioned in the paper what the crown elected and Johnson won't even miss a game? Sends an inconsistent message that team rules are held in a higher standard than laws of the Criminal Code of Canada.

Last edited:

etr102

Mar 7, 2010
Windsor, ON
So you would be in favor of bringing in Dalton Young then?

That's a silly question. Acquiring a player who you may lose down the road due to legal trouble is never a wise idea. That's like asking if it would be wise for a team to acquire A-Rod. Johnson is already Windsor's roster. Completely different circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad