*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Few comments on tonight:

1. This was absolutely a story of three games. Windsor played right with them in the first period, showing they weren't going to be pushed around. DeKort played very well and, while the team seemed to forget how to skate at times, they didn't mess around for the most part. In the second period, they took it to London and showed how this game can go if they put their minds to it. Very impressive effort all around and they made London look silly at times. The third period showed why London is that damn good. I don't know whether Windsor figured they had this one in the bag, or London woke up and said "enough is enough" and found another gear. Regardless, it was all London and I had a feeling this would happen.

2. DeKort was a beauty. He answered his critics and played like we know he can. Don't let the scoreboard fool you, DeKort was on his game.

3. I would hate to see an all-cylinders London team with Domi, Maatta, and Zhardov in the line-up.

4. Very, very tame game, but my guess is without Bowen and Leroux dressed for their respective clubs, plus the close score, were a big reason.

To the Knights77 and PP...we were in 303 Row G. PP, I went to come find you, but you left your seat at intermission. Knights77, the halls were insane so by the time I couldn't find PP, intermission was already done. We're coming back in November, though, so will make sure to come say hello.

The scoreboard would have been in the way from me seeing you. Sounds good, we will hook up next time.
Windsor is a solid team and I think they will be better than most expected. Going to be one of those 'dont want to play them
In the first round' type of teams.
HoSang is an arrogant little something eh? He reminds me of a jacob jammes but a better skater and twice the attitude. The comparison really is more about the 'what should be there'.

Spitsfan67*

The scoreboard would have been in the way from me seeing you. Sounds good, we will hook up next time.
Windsor is a solid team and I think they will be better than most expected. Going to be one of those 'dont want to play them
In the first round' type of teams.
HoSang is an arrogant little something eh? He reminds me of a jacob jammes but a better skater and twice the attitude. The comparison really is more about the 'what should be there'.

Ho-Sang is a bum, don't like the way he plays at all, he has alot of talent and dosent know how to use it, and if his name came up in a good trade would love to see him go and get some solid two-way team players.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I find it strange nobody thought that slashing penalty on Gifter in the 3rd wasnt a weak call.Remy barely tapped the players glove.Funny what a "coincidence" when it was called to get the knights back in the game.:shakehead

Liked what I saw of DeKort at least the kids a gamer and is not going to fold and give up.Still alot of hockey to be played, the Spits showed they can play with the mem cup back to back chokers.

Id put him in again vs Niagara.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
gifter

I find it strange nobody thought that slashing penalty on Gifter in the 3rd wasnt a weak call.Remy barely tapped the players glove.Funny what a "coincidence" when it was called to get the knights back in the game.:shakehead

Liked what I saw of DeKort at least the kids a gamer and is not going to fold and give up.Still alot of hockey to be played, the Spits showed they can play with the mem cup back to back chokers.

Id put him in again vs Niagara.

Yeah,I thought it was a soft call to let the Knights back in,felt the team deserved at least a pt

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Michael Dal Cole Rumors

I find it surprising that Oshawa would consider moving Michael Dal Cole but If there is any truth to the rumors I'd love to see the Spits in the queue. I'd be more inclined to believe Scott Laughton might become available at some point.
However I always like trade proposals....so here's mine

Spits send Ebert, Ho-Sang, Bowen, DeKort to Oshawa for Dal Cole & Altshuller.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
7-4 Windsor final.

Rychel and Yazkov with big production games; five and four points respectively, I think?

This wasn't the game I expected from Windsor. Well, not so much. I knew they'd come out a bit tired, given the London game was an emotional rollercoaster, but they played to Niagara's level. The Ice Dogs are in full rebuild, so there's no reason you shouldn't take it to them. That said, full credit to the Ice Dogs for giving Windsor all they could handle.

One thing I'm curious to the result of...

Third period, buzzing around the Niagara net, someone takes a shot and it hits Niagara's goalie Brent Moran square in the mask. You could hear it from my seat (15 feet away behind the glass). He goes down hard, lands awkward. Trainer comes out and something just doesn't seem quite right.

I don't know how much of his face the cameras caught, but it looked like he was about to pass out. At first, it looked like he was fine, no big issues. Then, the look was simply out of it. He kept grimacing as if he was fighting himself; he wanted in, but he couldn't physically do it. Then, it appeared he was going to faint. I don't know if that was the trainers telling him to go down, or if he was really losing it, but I was worried for a few seconds there. They kept looking at his jaw and neck, so whiplash or the nerves kept crossing my mind.

Fortunately, he skated off under his own power, as they had the stretcher out just in case, but that wasn't fun to watch.

Anyone know what the result is? I'm curious.

Edit: He just posted on Twitter that he'll be okay. Didn't say what happened, just it was a scary situation and he'll be okay.

coachfluffy

Feb 26, 2013
He more than likely just got his bell rung. There's only so much force those goalie masks can dissipate.

They were discussing the same thing in regards to the masks worn by catchers and umpires in the Tiger game. The lighter weight material being used these days does not absorb and dissipate the impact like the old iron masks they used in baseball used too. Concussions for catchers and umpires were at an all time high this year. I know the goalies have never used the iron masks but I am sure they are always searching for a lighter mask, which protects against the cuts but not so much the concussions.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Nice game for the top line to pad their stats. It's funny how DeKort looked better on Friday than Kuchmey did this afternoon but since Niagara was the opponent they got the W. Still think they need to get a solid two way forward or certainly move Foss up to the 3rd line instead of Bilcke. You can either live with the mistakes of Foss being a kid or leave Bilcke up there who's limited in the situations you can play him in.

Really impressed with some of the young talent on Niagara. Perlini was very good and having a very good sophomore year, Siebenaler might have been the best D on the ice for either team. Haydon is a solid D, Verhaege has really improved as well.

Spits really need to tighten up defensively certainly scoring more than I thought but they are more loose defensively than I thought they would be the whole protect the house thing isn't really looking good.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
They were discussing the same thing in regards to the masks worn by catchers and umpires in the Tiger game. The lighter weight material being used these days does not absorb and dissipate the impact like the old iron masks they used in baseball used too. Concussions for catchers and umpires were at an all time high this year. I know the goalies have never used the iron masks but I am sure they are always searching for a lighter mask, which protects against the cuts but not so much the concussions.

My umpire mask is a titanium frame and I've taken some real doozies off the face with no ill effect (granted nowhere near the speed of MLB).

All goalie masks (like player helmets) are CSA approved. No matter how hard you try, you will never create a mask that will completely eliminate forces to the head. All masks have a certain allowable threshold when it comes to dissipation.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nice game for the top line to pad their stats. It's funny how DeKort looked better on Friday than Kuchmey did this afternoon but since Niagara was the opponent they got the W. Still think they need to get a solid two way forward or certainly move Foss up to the 3rd line instead of Bilcke. You can either live with the mistakes of Foss being a kid or leave Bilcke up there who's limited in the situations you can play him in.

Really impressed with some of the young talent on Niagara. Perlini was very good and having a very good sophomore year, Siebenaler might have been the best D on the ice for either team. Haydon is a solid D, Verhaege has really improved as well.

Spits really need to tighten up defensively certainly scoring more than I thought but they are more loose defensively than I thought they would be the whole protect the house thing isn't really looking good.

Rayzor

Agree with everything u have written,especially defensively,as well as the 3rd line,Bilcke is really bring down the effectiveness of that line,I would put Foss up there has the same number of pts as Bilcke and Moore combined,in fact Moore has the only goal of the bottom at even strength,as Gifto's 2 goals are from the PP playing with different folks
Not surprised at the Spits scoring ability thought they would be fine,not satisfied over all with the goaltending and the D,ave goaltending wont cut,they are winning despite ave goaltending must get better to have more success
Scoring is up across the league at least here in the early going,Kuchmey who started the weekend in 4th with a 1.97 ave,remains still at 4th now at 2.55 after today,Mahalak with Kingston has a 2.52,ave,whie Stolarz from London is 2.22 and Murray from the Sault is 2,20
It should be noted the 3 goalies teams are in 1st place in their respective divisions

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Statiscal factoid,last yr Spit winger Kerby Rychel after 6 games had 1G !A-2Pts

This year after 6 games Rychel"s totals are 6G 6A -12 pts

Who needs Alex Khoklachev

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Anybody else notice that Moore and Bilcke were stapled to the bench for the majority of
the 3rd period
With the score 7-4 those 2 did not see the ice,everybody else did except Diodato who has been sick with flu since he arrived and to his credit played through it

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Any idea why Bilcke and Moore were on the bench for the third? We noticed Ty was the first one to the room after the game, when usually he's the last.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Any idea why Bilcke and Moore were on the bench for the third? We noticed Ty was the first one to the room after the game, when usually he's the last.

No clue,other then indifferent play decided by the coach,neither appeared injured

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the weekend over the Spits lead the conference with 21 even strength goals,only Kitchener has played less then 6 games,5 as matter of fact,everybody else has 6 or more games played
Kitchener has 13 btw with the 1 less game played,Saginaw is 2nd in the conf with 19 even str goals,while London and Guelph are tied for 3rd with 17
Overall Windsor is tied for 2nd with Sudbury,while Kingston stands 1st overall with an impressive 28 goals at even strength thru 7 games
In terms of goals for ave Windsor is tied for 3rd with London,both are at 4.67,while Sud is 2nd at 5.17 and Kingston is 1st in goals per game ave at 5.27
Its the defensive play and goal tending from a consistency point of view that concerns me

superspitfan99

Sep 3, 2012
Ontario
They should stick with Koekkoek & Ebert, Diodati & Murphy as D partners. Sanvido is big, but he's useless out there. It's early yet, they will hopefully come together soon.

Same on the front end. When the fancy passes work, they work well, however there are too many turnovers on the front end. Puck control is key.

etr102

Mar 7, 2010
Windsor, ON
One thing I've been meaning to mention since seeing the London game was how hideously ugly the Spits new road uniforms are.

The home whites, as somebody else already mentioned aren't horrible, they are just very cookie cutter, like they should be the default jersey on a create your own team mode of an EA Sports game. Just the same they aren't awful. Just boring.

However the away blues are absolutely hideous. Far too busy looking. The area behind the number and logo is blue. The trim from shoulder to shoulder is red. And then the 'background' on the name plates is either white or gray (I forget which), with the actual letters on the name plates yet another color.

Why do teams think that a background color on the name plate that differs from the actual jersey color looks good? Windsor started doing that last year on the throwback cream colored jerseys and it stuck out like a sore thumb on an otherwise nice looking design. I know Windsor is far from the first team to do this as some NHL teams have also been doing the background color on name plate thing for a few years now. Philadelphia is probably the most memorable example.

Bottom line. Name plates with background color that differ from the rest of the jersey color look extremely cheap and ugly and when the jersey already has too many colors going on it makes things even worse.

Okay my rant is done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->