*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits are now 7-4-0-1 since the trade deadline,although injuries and suspensions definitely
affected the record
Anyways here are some interesting stats re the players brought in and the players
dealt

Incoming players- Koko- 12GP- 9G 10A,19 Pts
Aleardi-12GP- 5G 13A,18 Pts
Giftopoulous-12GP- 4G 2A-6 Pts
Koekkoek- 2GP- 0G 1A-1Pt

Traded players Lorentz- 11GP 3G 4A- 7Pts
Posa -10GP 0G 5A-5Pts
Clarke- 11GP 2G 2A-4Pts
Maletta- 13GP 0G 3A-3Pts

Interesting Khoklachev has as many pts as the 4 players moved

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
My point is there's only so much Pavelka can do with the players in front of him. The defence, as we've seen time-and-time again, isn't up to par like we figured it would be, and the offence is lacking on many fronts. Pavelka puts up the numbers, more often than not, but is the victim of a lack of offensive support. He's kind of like that baseball pitcher who has an ERA around 3, but has a horrible record because the bats never hit for him.

At the end of the day, it's a pointless argument... the team is out of a playoff spot. Debating whether or not Pavelka's numbers are good or bad is irrelevant.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
At the end of the day, it's a pointless argument... the team is out of a playoff spot. Debating whether or not Pavelka's numbers are good or bad is irrelevant.

I would agree with this but some still consider him an option for next year and for that his play this year has to be a consideration one way or another. For example Matt Murray has improved a lot from last year he has shaved .50 off his gaa, and over 2% points in sv%. Pavelka has not made the same improvements, if he even improved his gaa between .25 to .30 and 1% point in sv% it's quite possible we are talking about a playoff team. DeKort has been about the same as Nicholls and the Saginaw import but the latter 2 goaltenders have had more playing time and have contributed more. Windsor has to decide if they are going to show more faith in DeKort which might be coming or if Pavelka is the man.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Libbs, like I said...

I'm not sure I see your point. Ryazor is critical of many things... just one of which has been Pavelka's play. I don't see his criticism as blaming the current position squarely on Pavelka.

Yes he has improved from last year (numbers be damned) and has been a nice surprise of what was simply a throw in for the Kuhnhackl deal.

But to Rayzor's point... Pavelka, as it stands right now in my mind, is not worth an OA and a Import spot next season.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Libbs, like I said...

:laugh::laugh:

Little sensitive OHLTG. Everybody shares the blame for this team not performing I know you would never blame Pavelka for some reason but like it or not he's on the team as well. You're the same guy the first 3-4 months that said there's a lot of talent on this team, 51 games into the season it's ok to start making conclusions about this group.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
:laugh::laugh:

Little sensitive OHLTG. Everybody shares the blame for this team not performing I know you would never blame Pavelka for some reason but like it or not he's on the team as well. You're the same guy the first 3-4 months that said there's a lot of talent on this team, 51 games into the season it's ok to start making conclusions about this group.

I do think that this group is much more talented then the 1 that started the season

The players brought in at the deadline and the return of Koko had teams in the league

saying Windsor was not a team they would want to play in the playoffs

Several people across the league were impressed what Rychel did at the deadline

at least that has been relayed to me

Its too bad injuries have ravaged this club

Pavelka"s game gong south has not helped

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not sure I see your point. Ryazor is critical of many things... just one of which has been Pavelka's play. I don't see his criticism as blaming the current position squarely on Pavelka.

He just said "Pavelka has not made the same improvements, if he even improved his gaa between .25 to .30 and 1% point in sv% it's quite possible we are talking about a playoff team."

That doesn't blame Pavelka?

I know you would never blame Pavelka for some reason

I've said, very recently in fact, that Pavelka is inconsistent. The numbers, though, show he's getting it done when he has to. Our offence was horrific in the first half, which is a bigger issue than our goaltending.

ou're the same guy the first 3-4 months that said there's a lot of talent on this team,

Talent? Yes. Work ethic? No.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
He just said "Pavelka has not made the same improvements, if he even improved his gaa between .25 to .30 and 1% point in sv% it's quite possible we are talking about a playoff team."

No, not really. He's just stating his opinion that if Pav had better numbers, they may be a playoff team. You've always held the point that a goalie's numbers isn't always about individual performance, but the team in front of him... the same way of thinking can be applied to Rayzors last point.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I do think that this group is much more talented then the 1 that started the season

The players brought in at the deadline and the return of Koko had teams in the league

saying Windsor was not a team they would want to play in the playoffs

Several people across the league were impressed what Rychel did at the deadline

at least that has been relayed to me

Its too bad injuries have ravaged this club

Pavelka"s game gong south has not helped

I would agree this team looked more talented than the one that started the season. Of course teams improving over the past year you need to look at players that made improvements. There aren't a lot of players currently on the team that improved last year to this year. Ebert has imo but still not at the level of his rookie year. Clarke, Johnson, Marchese all failed to take the next step. Vail has regressed in my mind, Rychel is probably about the same which is fine, Devlin didn't improve, Bateman, Maletta the list goes on. Soo and Saginaw all had growth from within. Cousins, Nurse, Alderson, Broll, and Murray have been more productive. With Saginaw you have Kea, Moutrey, Locke, Lodge, and Ross have made strides. We talked a lot in the summer the team would only improve as much as the individual returnees would dictate.

I still believe going into next year you're making a big gamble if you just think Marchese, Johnson, and Vail will magically improve and the team will be a lot better.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
No, not really. He's just stating his opinion that if Pav had better numbers, they may be a playoff team. You've always held the point that a goalie's numbers isn't always about individual performance, but the team in front of him... the same way of thinking can be applied to Rayzors last point.

If everyone had better numbers, we'd be a playoff team. Rayzor just seems to like to get on Pavelka and I'm trying to say Pav is one of the reasons we're not looking up at Erie right now. I could name a half dozen guys that I expect more from before Pavelka.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Not at all, stating that Pavelka is similar to last year isn't blaming him this is strictly my opinion. Saying if he was better they would be better in the standings isn't a criticism it's a fact.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would agree this team looked more talented than the one that started the season. Of course teams improving over the past year you need to look at players that made improvements. There aren't a lot of players currently on the team that improved last year to this year. Ebert has imo but still not at the level of his rookie year. Clarke, Johnson, Marchese all failed to take the next step. Vail has regressed in my mind, Rychel is probably about the same which is fine, Devlin didn't improve, Bateman, Maletta the list goes on. Soo and Saginaw all had growth from within. Cousins, Nurse, Alderson, Broll, and Murray have been more productive. With Saginaw you have Kea, Moutrey, Locke, Lodge, and Ross have made strides. We talked a lot in the summer the team would only improve as much as the individual returnees would dictate.

I still believe going into next year you're making a big gamble if you just think Marchese, Johnson, and Vail will magically improve and the team will be a lot better.

I am sure if u talked to the Hounds Alderson and Broll both last year in their 3rd yr in
the league were underwhelming,and they did not give on them why would Windsor
not expect players that are 19 years to be better in their 4th yrs coming ala Vail
and Marchese,and 3rd yr for Johnson coming up
Both Johnson and Vail were drafted by their respective NHL teams for their defensive ability and effort more so then their offensive prowess,while Marchese much like Alderson has underacheived into his 3rd year though concussions have an effect on
any progress
As for Ross I expect a 4th yr player be improved,they would have moved him but did not get a very good offer for him
I do expect all 3 players to improve health willing next yr,Johnson and Vail will be playing for entry level deals and Marchese will be looking to continue his career

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Not at all, stating that Pavelka is similar to last year isn't blaming him this is strictly my opinion. Saying if he was better they would be better in the standings isn't a criticism it's a fact.

If he had all shut-outs, we'd probably be undefeated - that's a fact, too (though, knowing us, we'd lose a handful of shootouts :laugh: ).

I stand by my earlier comment - Pavelka is a reason we're not behind Erie. He's kept us in more games than he's lost for us. Our offence, on the other hand...

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Interesting chatter over the past couple days fellas. Some stats to digest:
Goals against - ranked 15 / 20 in OHL
teams worse = Erie, Ottawa, Kingston, {Saginaw/Peterborough (both are tied with Windsor)}

Goals for - ranked 17 / 2- in OHL
teams worse = Petes, Mississauga, Brampton (note: brampton only has 145 goals against compared to Windsors 193 thus the reason they are finding success by not scoring much).

Pavelka - 17th goalie in terms of ohl stats
42 games (tied for 3rd most - heavy workload, lots of shots)
3.42GA
.907%
- names that are close to him in stats - JP Anderson (all time win leader for ohl), Jake Patterson (SAG) team canada goalie. - not that these accolades make them awesome or put them on a pedestal or anything, just putting him in a category for this year.

Goal scorers ranked in ohl
Rychel - 18th
Aleardi - 34th
Vail - 55th
Giftopoulos - 80th
Ho Sang - 88th
Ebert - 89th
* two of them were deadline acquisitions so you may argue that they don't even count, but remember (i didnt check) but you probably traded away somebody(s) that were in the top 100 so it probably evens out.

On the outside as a hockey fan (and maybe my junior goalie hockey experience makes me a bit biased) but I think the problem lies in your 5 skaters in front of Pavelka. If his save percentage was below .900 I would sway the other way but that is a telling stat. Yes the GA is a bit high but other goalies with good pedigrees are in the same ball park. When you look at your top scorers though, their ages sure do provide a nice glimmer of hope for the future thats for sure.

Food for though - if Rychel was thinking that this is how the deadline was going to pan out and that he was going to make a run for it (final playoff spot), why not claime Bailie off waivers when London released him. Stats were very good, half season with a winning attitude, could have brought some mojo with him and add in the fact if the 1st round match up was WSR vs LDN, talk about motivation for the kid eh.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Interesting chatter over the past couple days fellas. Some stats to digest:
Goals against - ranked 15 / 20 in OHL
teams worse = Erie, Ottawa, Kingston, {Saginaw/Peterborough (both are tied with Windsor)}

Goals for - ranked 17 / 2- in OHL
teams worse = Petes, Mississauga, Brampton (note: brampton only has 145 goals against compared to Windsors 193 thus the reason they are finding success by not scoring much).

Pavelka - 17th goalie in terms of ohl stats
42 games (tied for 3rd most - heavy workload, lots of shots)
3.42GA
.907%
- names that are close to him in stats - JP Anderson (all time win leader for ohl), Jake Patterson (SAG) team canada goalie. - not that these accolades make them awesome or put them on a pedestal or anything, just putting him in a category for this year.

Goal scorers ranked in ohl
Rychel - 18th
Aleardi - 34th
Vail - 55th
Giftopoulos - 80th
Ho Sang - 88th
Ebert - 89th
* two of them were deadline acquisitions so you may argue that they don't even count, but remember (i didnt check) but you probably traded away somebody(s) that were in the top 100 so it probably evens out.

On the outside as a hockey fan (and maybe my junior goalie hockey experience makes me a bit biased) but I think the problem lies in your 5 skaters in front of Pavelka. If his save percentage was below .900 I would sway the other way but that is a telling stat. Yes the GA is a bit high but other goalies with good pedigrees are in the same ball park. When you look at your top scorers though, their ages sure do provide a nice glimmer of hope for the future thats for sure.

Food for though - if Rychel was thinking that this is how the deadline was going to pan out and that he was going to make a run for it (final playoff spot), why not claime Bailie off waivers when London released him. Stats were very good, half season with a winning attitude, could have brought some mojo with him and add in the fact if the 1st round match up was WSR vs LDN, talk about motivation for the kid eh.

I would agree for the 1st half of season alot of the blame could be put on the fiive skaters ion front of Pavelka/DeKort because of the lack of offense more then anything,defensively fine but not great,both goalies did not get alot of offensive support,at the trade deadline alot of those things were corrected with the deletions
of underacheiving players ie Maletta,Lorentz,and Clarke,and the additions of Aleardi,Giftopoulous,Koekkoek and the return of Khoklachev,Spits went 5-0-0-1 but jusr before the injuries hit,shortly there after suspensions and we are where we are at
The 7 game losing streak while teams like Sag and SSM went on a run is the differnce
in the standings,all 3 teams were with in a couple pts of each other
The Spits record is 0-7 against Owen Sd and Plymouth combined this season,although none of those games came against the enhanced roster in its entirety
The Spits record against the rest of the league is a respectable 21-16-1-6,including
6 games in that 7 game losing streak
As for your question re Baille I think the Spits felt up to the deadline that goaltending was not an issue,and addressed the needs of team vis-a-vis,its the injuries for the most part that hampers this team going forward

spits2timechamps

Jan 7, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think the most amazing stat this year so far is we are 8th on the powerplay in the league lol and here I thought the opposing pk had a better success rate scoring than our powerplay :laugh:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits have called up D-man Zack Percy,a 93 born from La Salle to play the next 3 games

on their eastern conf road trip at Peter,Ott and Kingston

He was one of guys I spoke about using,his stats this year,36 GP-0 G-9 A-9 Pts-124 Pims

He is 6"3 185 lbs,from Harrow Ont and has averaged over 100 Pims per year as he is

now playing his 3rd season with the Vipers

Spitsfan67*

Spits have called up D-man Zack Percy,a 93 born from La Salle to play the next 3 games

on their eastern conf road trip at Peter,Ott and Kingston

He was one of guys I spoke about using,his stats this year,36 GP-0 G-9 A-9 Pts-124 Pims

He is 6"3 185 lbs,from Harrow Ont and has averaged over 100 Pims per year as he is

now playing his 3rd season with the Vipers
I know this kid he's my neighbours nephew and I was in a couple of his classes when I went to highschool, he probably won't get a lot of chances but at least he can say he played in the best junior league in the world.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There we go!!

Not much of a scorer, but physical and willing. Need him on the ice, but wouldn't mind seeing what he can do with the gloves off...once, haha.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
There we go!!

Not much of a scorer, but physical and willing. Need him on the ice, but wouldn't mind seeing what he can do with the gloves off...once, haha.

Yes he is pretty tough from what I hear,should have no trouble fitting in

as Dekort,Brown,Graham,Bowen and Murphy have been team mates this season

or during the other 2 years Percy has played in La Salle

Being a 19 year old probably wont be in awe as much as a 16 year old callup

Not surprised about the call up,La Salle plays Wed and Saturday this week,nites

the Spits dont play

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just curious...is he going to play for LaSalle when the Spits aren't playing? How would that work?

This week ,probably not as the Spits are leaving Wed after practice

My guess is that the Vipers allowed the player to go

pinkfloyd44

Oct 31, 2011
This week ,probably not as the Spits are leaving Wed after practice

My guess is that the Vipers allowed the player to go

Can you give some insight on the type of D he is. Looking at his career stats he Definatly has some toughness, but his points lack. I know points aren't everything, if he can bring other tangibles. I cant comment since i haven't seen him, but do you think he will be able to move the puck quick enough at this level and do you know how his feet are. Do you see him having any issues adapting to speed or facing a learning curb at all? He is a 93 so do you think he will get more ice based on his age or do you see him on the 5-6 pairing. Has he ever attended a rookie camp or main camp for the spits over the years?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad