*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I think that's just fatigue setting in. Yes he's not the greatest skater, but has been pretty solid most of the year. By rights he should be getting top 6 minutes but with the loss of Koekoek and Seiloff, he's had to play top 4 minutes and that is tough on most 16yo defensemen.

As an aside Sanvido was playing today with the flu,which probably explains his

sluggish performance

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If I'm completely off with this, fine, but...

Maybe the OHL needs to have an "emergency player(s) rule", allowing teams to call up guys in case of significant (3-4+ week) injuries? Not the 9-game rule, but something JUST in case a team succumbs to multiple injuries.

Why do I say this? It amazes me that Windsor has to play this many men down when we have players in the Jr B ranks that could come up, get some valuable time, but can't.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Maybe the OHL needs to have an "emergency player(s) rule", allowing teams to call up guys in case of significant (3-4+ week) injuries? Not the 9-game rule, but something JUST in case a team succumbs to multiple injuries.

Why do I say this? It amazes me that Windsor has to play this many men down when we have players in the Jr B ranks that could come up, get some valuable time, but can't.

I get what u are saying Spits currently have 3 or 4 players on long term injury

Koekkoek,Marchese,Bilcke,Seiloff, and lets not forget Alonge who was lost for the

season in his 1st exhibition game

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

What the issue is with Windsor is the 4 injuries and then you add Verbeek and Sanvido who got silly and ended up suspended. Sieloff was healthy until Friday so they really only had 3 injuries before Friday. It boils down to proper use of your 30 cards either guys like Smith, Braithwaite, Bezuch and Alonge took up 2-3 cards and those guys only played 4 games total for Windsor. Remember Windsor cut ties with McNaughton as well which has nothing to do with injuries or suspension. Windsor actually doesn't have enough guys in Jr B when you think about because the only guy they called up was Graham, and Brown has already been called up a couple times previous.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
:laugh: @ me being called a troll. Rayzor, are you feelin okay?

Did Rayzor really type that? :help:

3.42 GAA, .907 SV%, and 19 wins....which is BETTER than last year. I know he's had a few bad games lately, but did you forget his dominance last weekend in SSM, or his winning five of the previous six, including a shut-out and two 1 GA or fewer games? I'll admit he's streaky, but to say there "isn't a lot of evidence....that he should be given the chance to make the playoffs" is a bit out there. What exactly do you want from him? All-star numbers? With OUR defence? I stand by my earlier comments...we could win 10-0, outshoot our opponents 50-49, and Rayzor would find a way to blast Pavelka for something.

As for the game today...

Not a bad effort through the first half, but that fourth Guelph goal really stung. DeKort played well when he had to, but a total lack of defence, plus a lack of effort, really cost them. They were gassed, you could tell, and Guelph walked all over them.

Feeling good, and I say troll because of that last comment about 10-0 etc.. brings absolutely nothing to the table except trying to incite something.

Pavelka isn't that much better from last year and he's not much better than say Paterson or Murray the 2 teams that are ahead of Windsor in the race. DeKort is supposed to be the future you need to get him the majority of the remaining games. Since the beginning of December Pavelka hasn't really given this team goaltending where you can put your team in the playoffs and I mean collectively, he had a stretch of 5 good games in January but the whole body of work isn't very good.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Windsor doesn't have enough guys in Jr B? They have several draft classes they could, in theory, call up. What about...

Evan Makaric
Dylan Seguin
Brendan McCann
Dylan Wallace (OJHL)
Liam Clare (OJHL)
Ryan Watson

I'm not sure if they COULD be called up, but are they options?

It boils down to proper use of your 30 cards either guys like Smith, Braithwaite, Bezuch and Alonge took up 2-3 cards and those guys only played 4 games total for Windsor.

You can always look back and think "I could have done this better", but, at the time, they were all reasonable assumptions to be here long-term. Smith was a 2nd round pick and the team felt he was going to be good. Braithwaite was considered a veteran on the blue-line. Bezuch they had high hopes for, thus signing him, and the same with Alonge. He's only out because of his injury.

When someone like Brady Vail has to play defence because we're that short-staffed, or when we can only run three forward lines, there's an issue. That's why I wonder if call-ups for injury-related situations can be done.

Feeling good, and I say troll because of that last comment about 10-0 etc.. brings absolutely nothing to the table except trying to incite something.

You're the one who didn't believe that Pavelka could get us into the playoffs. I showed you stats that say otherwise. Then I threw that little pot shot in because, well, most of the time it's probably true. That's not trolling, if it's the truth :)

I mean collectively, he had a stretch of 5 good games in January but the whole body of work isn't very good.

The whole body of work is a save % over 90 and a GAA under 3.50. That's pretty damn good given our defence! Both are better than Murray and Paterson, btw.

Since I don't consider Save % or GAA to be the most telling statistic for a goalie, since those rely on defence a fair bit, look at something else...

Pavelka leads the league in saves, and appears to lead in shots against. This tells me he sees far more rubber than he should and he saves more than he should.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Just to add furthur regarding players on Lasalle,or other players on their reserve list
As I mentioned before the Spits can draw from anybody on Lasaale" roster except o/as
and anybody on their reserve list except 16 year old Americans drafted but not signed prior to Dec 31
As well once a player is brought up the Spits would have to pay half a year"s university,minimum
Using Jordan Mcnaughton as an example because he was a late dr pick by Brampton
his contract probably calls for 1/2 yrear for exibition games and games played prior to Jan 10 and another 1/2 year university if he plays after Jan 10,meaning when the spits cut him a day before the trade deadline,they would not be on the hook for a
1/2 year edc
They probably thought with Koekkoek,plus Bowen they had 7 D and did not need him,plus they had Brown who had yet played a game that counted against the 8 game rule
Then he went to Manitoba instead of Strathroy
Had he stayed in Strathroy,they could have brought him up,he gets a new 9 games
because he cleared waivers,but they would have to pay the 1/2 year university if he plays 1 game,again according to his contrac,which is very common practice in the O
So there 2 things at work,a player who has not given up college eligilibilty can indicate he will do so,and when such player gets called up Spits will have to pay min
of 1/2 year edc,sometimes more if a player signs for next yr
Players such as Brendan McCann and Dylan Seguin have already given up their
eligibility so can they can be brought up and the spits wouls be on the hook for 1/2
edc
Other players down there such as Dylan Denomme,Korey Morgan,Scott Prieur would have giive up college aspirations US to play here
Other players drafted by Windsor this past yr can be utilized because they are the reserve list,and I know of 1 at least who has turned down the opp to go jr with the
Spits becuae of college elibility
If I am Windsor I would go after guys,such as Ryan Watson,Mccann,Seguin,as well
as Lasaale guys like Denomme ,Morgan,Prieur,Percy,Carroll,Hanus
16 year olds such Ryker Killins,Bennett Morrison and Cameron Hughes would be on my
seek list too,Killins smallish D guy having a nice year in Stratford Jr B,Morrison good size D-man playing prep school in Connecticutt,though he is Canadian,and Hughes a big forward out of the Ottawa area
So u can see not that easy trying to fill a roster,especially with 17 games left.plus
possible playoffs with as many as 4 guys out for the playoffs

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What the issue is with Windsor is the 4 injuries and then you add Verbeek and Sanvido who got silly and ended up suspended. Sieloff was healthy until Friday so they really only had 3 injuries before Friday. It boils down to proper use of your 30 cards either guys like Smith, Braithwaite, Bezuch and Alonge took up 2-3 cards and those guys only played 4 games total for Windsor. Remember Windsor cut ties with McNaughton as well which has nothing to do with injuries or suspension. Windsor actually doesn't have enough guys in Jr B when you think about because the only guy they called up was Graham, and Brown has already been called up a couple times previous.

Browns other games did not count because he played during world jr tryouts and the world jrs themselves
In regards to the card situation I believe because there was no NHL the 3 card
floating rule did not apply,plus with the Euro situation Spits actually burned 2 cards
on Ionin and Bezuch

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I know there are complications. I just figured there would be a couple or three guys that could be called up to make a fourth line or a 3rd defensive pair, just to fill out a roster for a few games.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I know there are complications. I just figured there would be a couple or three guys that could be called up to make a fourth line or a 3rd defensive pair, just to fill out a roster for a few games.

Which is why I mentioned McCann and Seguin,unfortunately they can only play

9 games until their B team gets eliminated from playoff competition

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's what I'm getting at. Why not allow a rule for situations like this where a team is under the league min for dressing players? If the Jr B team is not playing that night, an OHL team can use up to two (2) players per game. I know it'll never happen, but emergencies happen.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
That's what I'm getting at. Why not allow a rule for situations like this where a team is under the league min for dressing players? If the Jr B team is not playing that night, an OHL team can use up to two (2) players per game. I know it'll never happen, but emergencies happen.

I think it really boils down to whether the player wants to actually play. Chances are a guy like McCann just may prefer to be in Jr B this year, it didn't pan out for McCann last year with the Spits and he would only have a bit role for a couple games. This is why teams have B cards. 30 cards for a team to have at their disposal and that doesn't include guys to be used for B cards that's plenty.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If I'm a guy in Jr B, and the Spitfires say "we'd like to call you up for a couple games", I'm taking it and running. You never know what could happen. I know the chances are slim that anything big happens, but if you get a chance at the O, you take it and run. Don't forget, Posa was a very late pick. He could have easily said "there's no point. I'm never going to do anything." Look at him now. Yes, I realize this is the exception and not the norm, but how does a player know before hand which will be the situation? You don't.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If I'm a guy in Jr B, and the Spitfires say "we'd like to call you up for a couple games", I'm taking it and running. You never know what could happen. I know the chances are slim that anything big happens, but if you get a chance at the O, you take it and run. Don't forget, Posa was a very late pick. He could have easily said "there's no point. I'm never going to do anything." Look at him now. Yes, I realize this is the exception and not the norm, but how does a player know before hand which will be the situation? You don't.

So if you're 18 or 19 and never played a game in the OHL and having your sights set on a college scholarship. Playing in one game would burn your opportunity of that, you would still play in the OHL? Jr B isn't very good hockey but top 6 forwards in Jr B are often better than 4th line guys in the OHL. For instance Dylan Denomme with LaSalle is probably better than Clark and Studnicka but Denomme doesn't want to give up a possible scholarship to play a same role in the OHL. The Spits showed interest in guys like Drew Palmer and DJ Turner a few years ago but they decided to go the Jr B route and develop and they are performing well in the CIS.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So if you're 18 or 19 and never played a game in the OHL and having your sights set on a college scholarship. Playing in one game would burn your opportunity of that, you would still play in the OHL? Jr B isn't very good hockey but top 6 forwards in Jr B are often better than 4th line guys in the OHL. For instance Dylan Denomme with LaSalle is probably better than Clark and Studnicka but Denomme doesn't want to give up a possible scholarship to play a same role in the OHL. The Spits showed interest in guys like Drew Palmer and DJ Turner a few years ago but they decided to go the Jr B route and develop and they are performing well in the CIS.

Rayzor

Re Palmer and Turner had they suited up for the Spits,part or whole of their tuition

would be paid for at the CIS school they are playing at,depending on how long they

played for Windsor

goalpostmahoney

Apr 28, 2009

I know personally Turner and Palmer were never asked to shate with the Spits.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor

Re Palmer and Turner had they suited up for the Spits,part or whole of their tuition

would be paid for at the CIS school they are playing at,depending on how long they

played for Windsor

I just think it's a decision guys have to make early and in those cases you have to be a bit selfish and look out for your own interests. I don't think 3 years ago Palmer and Turner were thinking of suiting up for the Lancers they probably had thoughts of being a guy like Ouellette or Buzzeo who are at Ferris St.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You're the one who didn't believe that Pavelka could get us into the playoffs. I showed you stats that say otherwise. Then I threw that little pot shot in because, well, most of the time it's probably true. That's not trolling, if it's the truth :)

The whole body of work is a save % over 90 and a GAA under 3.50. That's pretty damn good given our defence! Both are better than Murray and Paterson, btw.

Since I don't consider Save % or GAA to be the most telling statistic for a goalie, since those rely on defence a fair bit, look at something else...

Pavelka leads the league in saves, and appears to lead in shots against. This tells me he sees far more rubber than he should and he saves more than he should.

I am the one that doesn't believe Pavelka can get them into the playoffs. Well I still don't and you say the stats show otherwise? How can you possibly say something like that when the team isn't even in a playoff spot?

I ask you to look at another statistic which tends to show the group of Pavelka, Paterson and Murray to all be very close. Pavelka has played the most minutes out of any goalie but shots faced per 60 minutes Pavelka has faced the most at 37 but Paterson has faced 35 and Murray 34 so it's not like the Spits D is any better or worse than what the Soo or Saginaw puts out there. It certainly is now with Sieloff out but Pavelka hasn't played a game since the Sieloff injury.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
How can you possibly say something like that when the team isn't even in a playoff spot?

I say that because Pavelka has been one of the few bright spots so far. He's probably the last guy on this team I'd put any blame for where we are. In fact, he's a reason we're in the hunt at all.

If you lose every game 1-0, and don't make the playoffs, do you blame the goalie for not getting you in?

SimonKnightsman

Dec 28, 2012
About calling these kids up at this time of year also runs into team, school rules. I know the Hunters don't like taking kids out of area since you disrupt their schooling. The stretch from deadline and OJ playoffs is tough if you run short of guys. What team was it last year with all the injuries, Sarnia ? I thought they set some records on man games lost to injury...crazy numbers. Hey that Spit defence is starting to look like London's over the holidays....one real defence men and a bunch of forwards for a few games.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
My point is there's only so much Pavelka can do with the players in front of him. The defence, as we've seen time-and-time again, isn't up to par like we figured it would be, and the offence is lacking on many fronts. Pavelka puts up the numbers, more often than not, but is the victim of a lack of offensive support. He's kind of like that baseball pitcher who has an ERA around 3, but has a horrible record because the bats never hit for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad