OT: Official Video Game Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The very first thing the game does is warn you to watch your surroundings but apparently that hasn't been noticed by some people.

:laugh: Yeah, I enjoy that each time I log in. I really see the appeal. Something about, even if it's just digitally, feeling like you're collecting and exploring. Completely reasonable why it's so exciting for people. I haven't done much with it and I find it pretty fun.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
:laugh: Yeah, I enjoy that each time I log in. I really see the appeal. Something about, even if it's just digitally, feeling like you're collecting and exploring. Completely reasonable why it's so exciting for people. I haven't done much with it and I find it pretty fun.

The fact it encourages you to be active is a plus. Not to sound like an old man but too often I see kids sitting around on their ipads playing mindless games. Here at least you'll get out of the house. As long as you're careful it could be a huge boon for less active children and even adults.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
The very first thing the game does is warn you to watch your surroundings but apparently that hasn't been noticed by some people.

Warnings aren't there to actually "warn" anyone about anything, no one pays attention to them. They are there to cover the company's tail in case of the inevitable lawsuit by someone too stupid to watch where they were going [or their surviving family.]

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
A couple guys fell off a cliff I California (I believe) and some ****ole tried to shoot some kids because he thought they stole his stuff, in Florida, because Merica.

You get this with anything new and engrossing. Extreme selfies, texting (when it was really new), etc. There's always a segment of the population that's going to "Darwin" themselves do to being too into something that seems dumb to the masses.

:handclap:

Eloquently worded.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Nintendo just won.. again.

:/

Pokemon Go has more users than Twitter.
More users than Tinder (YES pokemon is officially more popular than SEX).

pokemon-go-usage-comparison.png

It's not even out in canada, asia, or europe and it's already the biggest app by a landslide.

What a fantastic trailer:

Nintendo added $11billion to its value:
http://qz.com/728399/pokemon-go-has...n-to-the-value-of-nintendo-since-its-release/

Stock price soars up by 53%
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...hares-investors-gotta-catch-em-all-pokemon-go

Biggest mobile game in US history:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/business/intelligence/pokemon-go-biggest-mobile-game-ever/

As of yesterday 15million users:
http://www.cnet.com/news/pokemon-go-catches-15-million-users/

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/13/p...ily-users-sees-more-engagement-than-facebook/
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...menon-as-number-of-us-users-overtakes-twitter

My daughter's been chirping my ear about it before it got here. So I downloaded it when it became available and found a Picachu. I call farce!! It's a ripoff. The video clearly shows a picachu and a magic ball when you find it, which you can then throw at the picachu on my front lawn.

When that failed to happen, I immediately uninstalled it.

Whatta rip. :shakehead

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Oh god, I wish this was around when I was 10.

I am well older than 10 and enjoying it a lot. Gets my steps up(my fitbit is loving me right now) and meeting new people. Everyone is playing it. If they add trainer battles and trading it will get even bigger.

But I am old school big N fan. I never really got into the pokemon games(I am more a Mario/Zelda guy) but I am really enjoying Go. I'll bet Sun and Moon sell like hotcakes when they come out. Might have to buy a 3DS

I am also definitely going to pick up the mini NES when it is released. I hope they make millions of them because they will be tough to get before xmas if not. Those things will be insanely popular.

I'm going to have to watch the NX info carefully. Even with their current stock spike they could go way higher. Maybe even to Wii levels. With their upcoming mobile releases, mini NES and that amazing new Zelda, Nintendo could be set for another huge resurgence. Like they have done in the past. Might have to get stock this time. I missed out on the Wii boost, I shouldn't miss out on this one.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The fact it encourages you to be active is a plus. Not to sound like an old man but too often I see kids sitting around on their ipads playing mindless games. Here at least you'll get out of the house. As long as you're careful it could be a huge boon for less active children and even adults.

I don't have much energy left between work and the gym but I guess for kids and retirees it would be a great time killer and a source of exercise

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I gotta say, with all the hype behind this I expected something a bit more robust. The app has some bugs to it and the features are pretty bare bones. Obviously will be fixed in time, but just doesn't seem extensive enough for me to put hours into. I will just wait for Sun and Moon to come out.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It will become more robust in time.

When that time comes, you're going to want to be a higher level, with a hard hitting roster.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I am well older than 10 and enjoying it a lot. Gets my steps up(my fitbit is loving me right now) and meeting new people. Everyone is playing it. If they add trainer battles and trading it will get even bigger.

But I am old school big N fan. I never really got into the pokemon games(I am more a Mario/Zelda guy) but I am really enjoying Go. I'll bet Sun and Moon sell like hotcakes when they come out. Might have to buy a 3DS

I am also definitely going to pick up the mini NES when it is released. I hope they make millions of them because they will be tough to get before xmas if not. Those things will be insanely popular.

I'm going to have to watch the NX info carefully. Even with their current stock spike they could go way higher. Maybe even to Wii levels. With their upcoming mobile releases, mini NES and that amazing new Zelda, Nintendo could be set for another huge resurgence. Like they have done in the past. Might have to get stock this time. I missed out on the Wii boost, I shouldn't miss out on this one.

Hah.

It's Nintendo. Retailers will get like 2 units each and the scalpers will make a fortune off them, as usual.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean it is a (mostly) free app.

@syz To be fair to Nintendo, they tend to put out a fair stock of games that don't sell (the Wii U has been selling horrendously) and it's the things they don't expect to take off (amiibo) that tend to sell like hotcakes.

Then again, maybe they just underestimate how popular their properties are.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm convinced an MMO style pokemon on their flagship console might have saved their console.

I mean they essentially released Wii U with a whimper. No Metroid, No Zelda, and Mario a year too late.

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014
I'm convinced an MMO style pokemon on their flagship console might have saved their console.

I mean they essentially released Wii U with a whimper. No Metroid, No Zelda, and Mario a year too late.

From what I remember, the biggest stated reason that it didn't sell was because most people thought it was just another Wii, no difference. Bad naming might have killed it ultimately.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
From what I remember, the biggest stated reason that it didn't sell was because most people thought it was just another Wii, no difference. Bad naming might have killed it ultimately.

I know for a fact that the average consumer had no fricken idea what the difference was between the Wii and Wii U. I witnessed first hard, when my step sister received Wii U games for her Wii. Nintendo's biggest mistake by a country mile, if they HAD to keep the Wii portion of the name, was to not call it the Wii 2.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

This is it exactly. I remember watching the E3 demo and thinking it was an add-on like the Sega CD.

The Wii U has a fantastic (if small) lineup of games but their inability to market the system properly doomed it from the start. At the very least the NX will have the next Zelda game to insulate it's launch...

Though some info would still be nice. I'm dying to know what the NX is all about.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

First 18 minutes of Persona 5. Guess they realized nobody liked the usual 2 hour buildup so they found a way to throw you into the middle of the story.

Also MC speaks this time?

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014
This is it exactly. I remember watching the E3 demo and thinking it was an add-on like the Sega CD.

The Wii U has a fantastic (if small) lineup of games but their inability to market the system properly doomed it from the start. At the very least the NX will have the next Zelda game to insulate it's launch...

Though some info would still be nice. I'm dying to know what the NX is all about.

Hoping for Wii U compatibility with NX. The games were few, but Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze were some of my favourites.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hoping for Wii U compatibility with NX. The games were few, but Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze were some of my favourites.

TF is an excellent platformer. I'm hoping so too but I wonder if the gamepad makes that far less likely.

I guess it really depends on what games will be on... Cartridge, disc, perhaps something entirely new...

I'm really hoping I can transfer my eshop purchases so I don't have to buy Earthbound yet again.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone play EASHL?
Will all these club customizations entice people to stay in the same club for a the long haul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad