OT: Official Video Game Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
NHL 14 today, GTA 5 in a week... I'm going to be spending a lot of time with my Xbox over the next few months.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
NHL 14 is about what you expect. Not a ton of changes from last year but still an improvement. Graphically the game looks almost exactly the same besides the player's faces looking a lot better IMO. I enjoy the gameplay a lot more from last year's iteration so far. Shots feel a lot more dangerous and the stick check is a lot less effective. Hitting also feels a lot more reliable and rewarding this time around.

If you're looking for a big change from last year's game I'd recommend skipping 14 but overall I think it's a worthwhile buy.

(Scored a hattrick with Perron in the Oilers first game against Winnipeg. Hopefully the same comes true in real life.)

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
NHL 14 is about what you expect. Not a ton of changes from last year but still an improvement. Graphically the game looks almost exactly the same besides the player's faces looking a lot better IMO. I enjoy the gameplay a lot more from last year's iteration so far. Shots feel a lot more dangerous and the stick check is a lot less effective. Hitting also feels a lot more reliable and rewarding this time around.

If you're looking for a big change from last year's game I'd recommend skipping 14 but overall I think it's a worthwhile buy.

(Scored a hattrick with Perron in the Oilers first game against Winnipeg. Hopefully the same comes true in real life.)
Even if you compare it to NHL 12 its not a big change.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Yeah, this is gonna be the first time since '99 that I'm not going to be buying NHL, just don't see the point in buying a game that I'll be bored of in a day. I'll have to start spreading it out for two years to try and regain some interest, it's done the trick with Madden

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
First time I won't be getting NHL since nhl92 for sega haha with GTA coming out and me barely even touching nhl13 I think it's time to step away from the series. Probably buy nhl15 for next gen though.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm looking forward to GTA V.

I've been putting countless hours into MLB2k13 and, although it's not getting boring yet, I could use a new game.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Out of curiosity.

Would people prefer a subscription based NHL game? or do you prefer purchasing a new copy of this game every year?

Just always wondered if that business model would be a more appropriate way to dole out newer content, update the graphics, update the stats, and generally update the game as you play, rather than wait each year.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Taylor Hall: default captain.

edit: Yeah not too much different with this one... Love the new style fighting though, and I really like how fights come about from on-ice events (big hits, late hits, shooting the puck after the whistle, etc)

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Anybody know how to edit attributes and looks on your live character. My guy's still 48 overall and I can't find the attributes section anywhere.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yeah, this is gonna be the first time since '99 that I'm not going to be buying NHL, just don't see the point in buying a game that I'll be bored of in a day. I'll have to start spreading it out for two years to try and regain some interest, it's done the trick with Madden

ya thats what I do with Madden

I find the tweaks just aren't enough to justify buying a 60 dollar game...it's basically "roster updates" with minor changes

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I opened my starter pack and got Gordon, Grebeshkov, and Luca Sbisa... Strange. Haha

I think Gordon and Grebeshkov are ones you get autoatically if you select your favorite team as Edmonton. I was playing against another Oilers team that had Gordon, Grebeshkov, and Cory Conacher

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I don't mind spending $60 a year on the game. It is well worth it IMO. Kills some time. That's $5 a month.

Have had every game since '92 where Messier is on the Oilers.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I think Gordon and Grebeshkov are ones you get autoatically if you select your favorite team as Edmonton. I was playing against another Oilers team that had Gordon, Grebeshkov, and Cory Conacher

Yeah I got Gordon, Grebeshkov and Joensuu (who is a beast, hitting, fighting and scoring).

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I only played it for an hour or so, but I like 14 a lot more than 12. I think there are pretty significant changes, at least compared to the usual change I see (I buy every two years).

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I gave up on the NHL series when they stopped letting you customize the controls. Has that changed in 14 or do they still stick you with presets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad