Official Trade Speculation/Proposal Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Is Reimer really the long term solution we sorely need? He's an okay goalie, but there's a reason the Leafs brought in Bernier to replace him. As a stopgap for a couple of seasons I'm sure he's alright but he won't carry this team as will none of the other candidates (Miller would but he won't come).

If Brodeur really is about to leave the Devils, then why not make a pitch for him in the summer?? He might be old as fook but he still is a great goalie and he wouldn't have to move his family to come here. If Snow can get a good young goalie in a deal for Vanek or Amac (Andersen? Fucale? Subban?) then why not try to bring Marty in whilst they get ready?

No, Reimer is not the solution at all. If they want to bring him in as a 1B fine. But let's face facts. Miller and Hiller will not be coming here. That is a Brunomics guarantee. If there was one hint of a brain in the Isles organization it would go something like this:

1)You do whatever you can to either get Subban from Boston(could be for Amac and whatever) or you keep pressing Anaheim for Anderson or Gibson(don't care which one). I don't care if for Vanek all we got was one of those goalies. It's the most important position on the ice and it's treated like an afterthought by the organization.

2)If you want to go after Khudobin you cannot go after him as a starter(hear me out). Yes I'm aware the guy has been fantastic. Just not enough games yet to show me he's a workhorse. If you can bring him have him split games with whoever else is there let him seize the reigns and not look back. Which leads me to my third point.

3)Here is a quick list of goalies you need to look at. Let's face it the top goalies aren't coming here. So this is your pick of the litter I think:

Montoya
Thomas
Giguere
Greiss
Elliot
Gustavsson
Hutton

Personally I think this team needs to bring in Thomas Greiss. He plays the backup role real well and I feel he can be more than that. He's just so under the radar. It's not a pretty list but I think one of those on the list I just made will be in an Isles jersey start of next season.

It pisses me off to no end that as a goalie Snow didn't recognize till 2 drafts ago when he took all d-men that the key to winning in this league is having a real solid goalie/D and just limiting chances. Look at the trash in the city. That's how they win more than they lose. I used to wonder how they kept winning with the offense they have but they will always get to the playoffs because they are able to limit chances/goals each and every game. That's the result of D/Goalie/Coaching.

I want to believe they'll do the right thing with the goaltending and bring in reliable guys to give the team a chance but I don't. Same with the D and the coaching. It really pisses me off because quite honestly it doesn't take much to fix it. They are close and with a couple of UFA moves they can redefine who this team is on the backend but they won't. It'll still be the same bs that we all rant about because they don't know any better which pisses me off to no end because I didn't lay out some magical idea of them getting Miller or Hiller. It was just a couple of solid moves that don't break the bank or are out of left field. That's what depresses me the most. I get that I'm just an Isles fan but as a guy that has watched his team his whole life, has played the game from pee wee through college/beer league is the fact that I'm sitting in my apartment thinking about what the most logical moves could be yet the guy that played in the NHL and has professionals around him can't figure things like this out and be realistic about them.

The biggest slap to the face wasn't PMB or Regin this year. It was Evgeni Nabakov. Yes I like the guy. But that total implosion in the playoffs and you still bring him back as the starter. If they brought him back as a 1B or a guy splitting time I could understand. But you bring back the guy that became a train wreck overnight who also blew up in the playoffs in San Jose a lot of years? Then you pair him with Kevin Poulin who after one of the most promising rookie years I've seen gets hurt and hasn't been the same? That Kevin Poulin? Garth your a ****ing goalie yet you make these moves?

Ok I'm going to stop ranting and head to the gym. I could be at this for hours.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Blues have young Jake Allen in the ahl, looking NHL ready.. MacKenze said he beat out Halak+ Elliott in training camp, but the Blues did nit want three goalies in net and so ,with a weak goalis trade market, Allen was the odd man out.Miller made comments indicating he wants a Lundqvist type contract. Sign Milker for 5-7 years, then trade Allen or try to win a cup with Miller this year, let him walk because of his contract demands and go with Allen?
I would love to have Allen if the Blues commit to Miller.

Hiller - if he is extended, that would put one of Fasth or F. Andersen on the trade market. I would be pretty happy landing Andersen. Even Fasth would be an upgrade.

Khudobin -Canes reportedly want to move C. Ward , who has been outplayed by Khudobin. The problem is Ward's $6.5m per contract. Injuries, declining production and that huge contract could make it tough to move Ward. Khudobin is a UFA in July and wants to be a starter. I think there is a good chance Khudobin hits the free agent market. He was listed among 4-5 goalies, Staple says Snow would have interest in.

No rush to grab Reimer, who Toronto fans and media overrate.

Snow should try to flip Bailey for Ward. :nod:

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
The Isles are trying to move forward Thomas Vanek and defenceman Andy MacDonald. GM Garth Snow wants first, second and a prospect in exchange for Vanek. That price will change before the deadline and the Kings have been sniffing ... Expect Calgary centre Mike Cammalleri to be on the move. If the Kings fail in their pursuit of Vanek, they’ll definitely show interest.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/0...rity-suggests-we-may-not-know-until-11th-hour

TOP 5 SELLERS

3. N.Y. ISLANDERS - Losing captain John Tavares to injury gives GM Garth Snow the green light to move left wing Thomas Vanek and defenceman Andy MacDonald. Vanek might be the most sought-after player and MacDonald won’t be far behind.

buyers
LOS ANGELES KINGS - They’d like to add more scoring for the playoff push. They will be in on all three of the top forwards available. This club wants to make a noise in the tough West in the playoffs.

TOP 5 TARGETS

1. Thomas Vanek, LW, N.Y.I. - He is the most sought after player on the market because he has the most offensive talent. Isles want a No. 1 pick in return.

3. Matt Moulson, LW, Buffalo - This market will heat up once Vanek gets dealt because he’s attracting a lot of the same attention. He can score.

Last edited:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

While I agree that getting rid of Bailey is a plus - Ward is not as good as he was, and is breaking down regularly now. I live in Raleigh and think Khudobin is the real deal.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I has to shake my head over a recent Ward article. A $6.5m cap dump and his gm is saying he wants good value back:laugh:

That'd be like Snow shopping Grabner and saying Grabs is a 34 goal scorer, so teams better bring strong offers.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
While I agree that getting rid of Bailey is a plus - Ward is not as good as he was, and is breaking down regularly now. I live in Raleigh and think Khudobin is the real deal.

I wanted Khudobin last spring and summer.
To see him sign for $800,000 and play so well kind of sucks

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Agree.

Nabby and Dobby would have been the perfect plan-b solution for this year. Schneider and Bernier would have been plan A1 and A2. Considering how cheap Khudobin went to a team with more goalie depth than the isles...? All the isles had to do was offer PMB and Regin's contracts to Khudobin and Hainsey (signed after a try-out).

Now one wasted year later and the Isles may be looking at the same moves as possibility for this off season. I'm not a fanatic when it comes to criticizing snow... But he really blew this past offseason. I hope lesson was learned and that this year Snow tries to do a little more instead of what he thinks is just enough.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Stewart and Halak are gonna be traded again. Sabres want no part of older guys. I also read on TSN that Enroth was the goto guy to take the #1 spot for now. I can only assume Stewart and Halak are going to be traded again for more picks.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I think Stewart and Halak are gonna be traded again. Sabres want no part of older guys. I also read on TSN that Enroth was the goto guy to take the #1 spot for now. I can only assume Stewart and Halak are going to be traded again for more picks.

what do you think they're worth?

2nd rounders?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
think a C Prospect and maybe a 3rd or 4th Halak and Stewart maybe a 3rd or 2nd or straight up B prospect. Stewart is having a bad year on a good team, but he has always been dependable. He is only 26 though...big kid..can score goals..He'd make a very good 3rd line addition..possibly second.

I could see straight up for Bailey too...it would most likely be a swap for change of scenery (Chris Stewart that is)

Apparently Bryz is on the market too...and he is expected to only get a mid-round pick n 2014..which at that point would be a weak draft.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ok, so I just read that Drewiske is being put on Waivers. The weird thing is...The Habs JUST traded for him last year AND signed him to a 2 year contract. This looks to me like the Habs are making room on the active roster. You think Vanek to Montreal is looking better?

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Steve - you had this in the other thread and I thought it would look good here, along with my response.

...For those that watched last game against the Devils, Howie was talking about the impending trade deadline and he said we can see both AMAC and Vanek noving to a couple of teams along with possibly a spare or two...

His little insert there suggests to me that we are probably going to be trading one or two players from the current lineup

I am thinking it will be one or 2 of Bailey, Martin, McDonald, Nilsson/Nelson + B prospects. I don't think we want to trade any other picks.

In short, room WILL be made at the trade deadline to bring up Halmo.

Interesting. I now fully expect we will be getting a goaltender back, and in that deal will be sending Nilsson or Poulin the other way, likely Nilsson as he gets his debut today. That might be why he didn't get subbed in for Nabby when the wheels fell off against the Devils.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What else? The Islanders are working hard to trade Vanek. Since the Wild might pursue him this summer as a free agent, it’s likely the only way Fletcher takes a nibble is if GM Garth Snow’s asking price drops. Wild guess? He hasn’t called Columbus about Marian Gaborik.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/248042981.html

Botta tweeted about week ago, that 3-4 of the teams interested in Vanek, only want him as rental.

I am not concerned with the Wild, so long as there are teams only concerned with a playoff run, playoff revenue.

It was just a couple of seasons ago, that NJ went deep into the playoffs and earned $32m in playoff revenue. I have to lmao over fans who dismiss playoff revenue. Players do not earn salaries. All revenue goes to the teams.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Steve - you had this in the other thread and I thought it would look good here, along with my response.

Interesting. I now fully expect we will be getting a goaltender back, and in that deal will be sending Nilsson or Poulin the other way, likely Nilsson as he gets his debut today. That might be why he didn't get subbed in for Nabby when the wheels fell off against the Devils.

But which goalie? Ward is too expensive and so is Luongo. Khudobin is not moving..

Halak (I dont feel Sabres will keep Halak), Elliot, Andersen. These guys are ok goalies, but not great.

I don't want any of Ottawa's goalies..they are up and down with stats...good games as well as bad games.

I don't want Reimer either

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
But which goalie? Ward is too expensive and so is Luongo. Khudobin is not moving..

Halak (I dont feel Sabres will keep Halak), Elliot, Andersen. These guys are ok goalies, but not great.

I don't want any of Ottawa's goalies..they are up and down with stats...good games as well as bad games.

Jones from LA :teach2:

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Blues have young Jake Allen in the ahl, looking NHL ready.. MacKenze said he beat out Halak+ Elliott in training camp, but the Blues did nit want three goalies in net and so ,with a weak goalis trade market, Allen was the odd man out.Miller made comments indicating he wants a Lundqvist type contract. Sign Milker for 5-7 years, then trade Allen or try to win a cup with Miller this year, let him walk because of his contract demands and go with Allen?
I would love to have Allen if the Blues commit to Miller.

Hiller - if he is extended, that would put one of Fasth or F. Andersen on the trade market. I would be pretty happy landing Andersen. Even Fasth would be an upgrade.

Khudobin -Canes reportedly want to move C. Ward , who has been outplayed by Khudobin. The problem is Ward's $6.5m per contract. Injuries, declining production and that huge contract could make it tough to move Ward. Khudobin is a UFA in July and wants to be a starter. I think there is a good chance Khudobin hits the free agent market. He was listed among 4-5 goalies, Staple says Snow would have interest in.

No rush to grab Reimer, who Toronto fans and media overrate.

Like I said before, it was hinted by Staple that the Isles were on Miller's no-trade list so I'd think that's a non-starter.

The blues could do the same thing to Jake Allen that the Kings do to Bernier and hold onto him for a few more years...which would likely only increase his trade value. After all, the Blues would still need a backup if they did re-sign Miller.

Andersen doesn't hit RFA until the 16-17 season, and even then, the Ducks will still hold his rights. So I see no reason for them to move him in the immediate future...similar to the Jake Allen situation in STL. And they could still sign Hiller who's having an excellent season. That leaves Fasth being the odd man out who seems to be injury-prone.

The Khudobin situation is interesting, but if he's really turned some heads in the Canes organization and if Ward has fallen out of favor with management they could still use a compliance buyout on him this summer.

Sorry if I'm not as optimistic about the situation as you, but I just don't see this "overabundance" of goalies this offseason a lot of people do.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

My first guess was Anaheim. But, they don't need a goaltender back as they have 3 potential starters, though Fasth's injury history may reduce the number by 1 shortly.

I could see Snow falling in love with Halak. It is funny to see an ex-goaltender do so well with D & F prospects, but suck so bad when it comes to finding goaltending kids.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Botta tweeted about week ago, that 3-4 of the teams interested in Vanek, only want him as rental.

I am not concerned with the Wild, so long as there are teams only concerned with a playoff run, playoff revenue.

It was just a couple of seasons ago, that NJ went deep into the playoffs and earned $32m in playoff revenue. I have to lmao over fans who dismiss playoff revenue. Players do not earn salaries. All revenue goes to the teams.

I wish the islanders owner cared about playoff revenue! Haha!

scott99

May 13, 2005

Crew, I was heavily in the Khudobin camp last offseason. In fact I said he was just about to breakout, would've been a perfect signing, and would be a great protege for Nabakov to take under his wings. At 800k I was so mad we didn't try for him. In fact, some people here ridiculed me and said Khudobin was a product of playing in front of great defenses in Minny and Boston. For once, unfortunately, I was right. NOW if he goes to Free Agency, he's gonna cost a helluva lot more than 800k a year. We could have given him a "prove yourself" 2 year contract at 1mill a year. Snow ****ed that one up. Hell even I could tell Khudobin was a good goalie.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa

Someone will pay for Vanek, and what I am seeing in the twitterverse is that Vanek would seem to be the player that needs to get moved first, before others like Moulson or Cammy go anywhere, which is great news for us.

Of course we are also getting the message that Garf is asking too much, but that's simply posturing by GM's who have sniffed around and are whining about the price. They'll pay, we're in the catbird seat.

You're right, and it makes me think that just making the playoffs is the driver here, and a chance at the cup...lotta money to be made along the way..

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Someone will pay for Vanek, and what I am seeing in the twitterverse is that Vanek would seem to be the player that needs to get moved first, before others like Moulson or Cammy go anywhere, which is great news for us.

Of course we are also getting the message that Garf is asking too much, but that's simply posturing by GM's who have sniffed around and are whining about the price. They'll pay, we're in the catbird seat...

If he waits too long then we will lose some suitors who will go to plan B. If Vanek isn't gone by morning of the deadline things may not be so good.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Crew, I was heavily in the Khudobin camp last offseason. In fact I said he was just about to breakout, would've been a perfect signing, and would be a great protege for Nabakov to take under his wings. At 800k I was so mad we didn't try for him. In fact, some people here ridiculed me and said Khudobin was a product of playing in front of great defenses in Minny and Boston. For once, unfortunately, I was right. NOW if he goes to Free Agency, he's gonna cost a helluva lot more than 800k a year. We could have given him a "prove yourself" 2 year contract at 1mill a year. Snow ****ed that one up. Hell even I could tell Khudobin was a good goalie.

I wonder if Snow even kicked the tires on Khudobin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad