Official Trade Speculation/Proposal Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I understand that is possible, but, much harder to accomplish. current lowest payrolls in the NHL and where they sit in the standings overall.

20. New Jersey 22nd
21. Dallas 17th
22. Phoenix 21st
23. Nashville 24th
24. Edmonton 29th
25. Buffalo 30th
26. Ottawa 23rd
27. Calgary 27th
28. N.Y. Islanders 26th
29. Colorado 6th
30. Florida 28th

Only Dallas (currently the 8th seed) and Colorado are in the playoffs at the moment. Does money guarantee success? No. Does spending near the bottom pretty much guarantee failure? Going by those bottom 11. Yes.

Don't forget about the millions from the revenue sharing checks. Part of the reason we are in the 28 spot is because Wang got free money from the league to spend on roster. Without it I believe we would be at the 30 spot.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Luongo is in play apparently.

Worth it? The term on his contract is marysoscary.

He is 34, gets paid until age 42....
$6 mill a year until he is 38...
Drops to $3 mill then $1 mill years after....

I am on the fence but have to think it could be worth it unless he sucks now. I have not watched many Vancouver games so I only know the stats - .917 and 2.38 GAA.... worth it?

not intersted in luongo with that contract, not unless they pay some of it, for that money id rather sign miller.

the preference for me is to get a goalie that can grow with this team, not someone we'll have to worry about replacing in 2 or 3 years. If, say, vanek, grabner and poulin end up going to ANA for Gibson + + id be okay with that.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
In the FWIW catagory, found this in the Oilers "actual source rumor" thread:

Scouts accredited for #Habs vs #Leafs: Blue Jackets, Islanders, Oilers, Wild - Dave Stubbs

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Apparently the Isles looked into Ryan Miller last summer but he listed the Isles as of his teams on his NTC according to Arthur Staple's article.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm scouting MTL vs TOR as well lol. I want Riemer.

does he look good? I know stats are not everything but his pro stats are not great...

I would feel more comfort will a Hiller or even Halak...

But if he doesn't cost an arm and a leg I wouldn't be mad if we got Riemer..

scott99

May 13, 2005
does he look good? I know stats are not everything but his pro stats are not great...

I would feel more comfort will a Hiller or even Halak...

But if he doesn't cost an arm and a leg I wouldn't be mad if we got Riemer..

Unfortunately Riemer isn't playing. Bernier is (looks better as the game goes on). I'd love to get Riemer and Franson from the Leafs.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Rex, I know we are both down on Cammarata and both love Fasching, but I haven't heard Fasching's name much, and I've been more impressed with Cammarata tonight. To paraphrase our head coach, Cammarata definitely has good battle level, he never quits.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Toews just made Orpik look terrible, he's so slow skating backwards for a defensive D.

I hope we don't throw money at him this OS

scott99

May 13, 2005
Toews just made Orpik look terrible, he's so slow skating backwards for a defensive D.

I hope we don't throw money at him this OS

Don't worry, you'll never hear the term "throwing money" and the word "Islanders" in the same sentence.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Rex, I know we are both down on Cammarata and both love Fasching, but I haven't heard Fasching's name much, and I've been more impressed with Cammarata tonight. To paraphrase our head coach, Cammarata definitely has good battle level, he never quits.

This was Fasching's most quiet game of the year.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Interesting side note from the Penguins/Blackhawks game, got a popup on my phone saying Hossa suffered an upper body injury. I wonder if they'd be interested in Vanek now ?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Luongo is in play apparently.

Worth it? The term on his contract is marysoscary.

He is 34, gets paid until age 42....
$6 mill a year until he is 38...
Drops to $3 mill then $1 mill years after....

edit - Our very own Bluechipper reminded me that there is the salary retention lever to pull on. Garf, get er done...

The Isles just bought out 30 year old DiPi with his very long contract.

Last summer the isles were turned off by 34 year old Luo's remain 8 year contract. I do not see why a 35 year old Luongo , with 7 years on his contract, would suddenly be attractive. One Newsday report said if Luo was bought out, the isles would offer him a 3 year deal. I am hoping for a buyout or even for him to be moved on an already crowded goalie market.

One less landing spot for next summer's ufas

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Reimer is sixth on my goalie wish list, so I have to disagree that AMac for Reimer would be a win.

Hiller
Miller
Halak
Khudobin
F. Andersen
Reimer
Elliott

Well, as stated by someone else, there's a strong chance those top 4 re-sign where they are. Scratch Miller off as I believe it was reported the Isles were on hi no trade list and seems to be a perfect fit for STL if they can afford him. Buffalo is just looking for a placeholder for when Hackett is ready, so good chance they re-sign Halak. Hiller and Anaheim just seem right for each other, and I don't think Andersen has proven enough to take over the #1 spot yet...on top of the fact that Fasth seems to be injury-prone. Khudobin seems to have proven he can handle #1 duties, and with Ward's ever increasing injury history, it seems likely te Canes re-sign him.

That said, why do any of those top 4 on your list choose this train wreck of a franchise over the situations they're already in?
All that to say, I wouldn't be too upset with AMac for Reimer...for Andersen would be preferable but I see no reason for the Ducks to do that, even if the Isles had the ability to add a 2nd.

So that pretty much leaves us with Elliott as the only UFA available...not looking so rosy.

In the end, I wholeheartedly agree with OTH's sentiment that getting an "upgrade" at G is all for naught if GMG doesn't do anything to shore up the defence.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Is Reimer really the long term solution we sorely need? He's an okay goalie, but there's a reason the Leafs brought in Bernier to replace him. As a stopgap for a couple of seasons I'm sure he's alright but he won't carry this team as will none of the other candidates (Miller would but he won't come).

If Brodeur really is about to leave the Devils, then why not make a pitch for him in the summer?? He might be old as fook but he still is a great goalie and he wouldn't have to move his family to come here. If Snow can get a good young goalie in a deal for Vanek or Amac (Andersen? Fucale? Subban?) then why not try to bring Marty in whilst they get ready?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Well, as stated by someone else, there's a strong chance those top 4 re-sign where they are. Scratch Miller off as I believe it was reported the Isles were on hi no trade list and seems to be a perfect fit for STL if they can afford him. Buffalo is just looking for a placeholder for when Hackett is ready, so good chance they re-sign Halak. Hiller and Anaheim just seem right for each other, and I don't think Andersen has proven enough to take over the #1 spot yet...on top of the fact that Fasth seems to be injury-prone. Khudobin seems to have proven he can handle #1 duties, and with Ward's ever increasing injury history, it seems likely te Canes re-sign him.

That said, why do any of those top 4 on your list choose this train wreck of a franchise over the situations they're already in?
All that to say, I wouldn't be too upset with AMac for Reimer...for Andersen would be preferable but I see no reason for the Ducks to do that, even if the Isles had the ability to add a 2nd.

So that pretty much leaves us with Elliott as the only UFA available...not looking so rosy.

In the end, I wholeheartedly agree with OTH's sentiment that getting an "upgrade" at G is all for naught if GMG doesn't do anything to shore up the defence.

Blues have young Jake Allen in the ahl, looking NHL ready.. MacKenze said he beat out Halak+ Elliott in training camp, but the Blues did nit want three goalies in net and so ,with a weak goalis trade market, Allen was the odd man out.Miller made comments indicating he wants a Lundqvist type contract. Sign Milker for 5-7 years, then trade Allen or try to win a cup with Miller this year, let him walk because of his contract demands and go with Allen?
I would love to have Allen if the Blues commit to Miller.

Hiller - if he is extended, that would put one of Fasth or F. Andersen on the trade market. I would be pretty happy landing Andersen. Even Fasth would be an upgrade.

Khudobin -Canes reportedly want to move C. Ward , who has been outplayed by Khudobin. The problem is Ward's $6.5m per contract. Injuries, declining production and that huge contract could make it tough to move Ward. Khudobin is a UFA in July and wants to be a starter. I think there is a good chance Khudobin hits the free agent market. He was listed among 4-5 goalies, Staple says Snow would have interest in.

No rush to grab Reimer, who Toronto fans and media overrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad