Official tank thread and tanking GDT #12 (Sabres @ Stars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The anxiety / anticipation I feel seriously is reminiscent of playoffs.

Cringe.

This is MUCH more important than a playoff series.

A playoff season is just a few months, and if you get knocked-out, you can always try again next season.

This race, on the other hand, will decide the fate of the franchise for the next 10-15 YEARS. If we blow this, there's no "try again next year" for McEichel.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Coyotes last win was against the canucks, so here's hoping for tonight.

There's hope in that the Canucks may have a let-down after a big win in LA yesterday and have some fatigue...

...but the Coyotes may also come in with half of a tank of gas from having played last night and not be able to jump on a tired opponent.

I'm curious to see if Markstrom plays - he might be the x-factor. He bombed in his last start and hasn't played since IIRC so he may have extra motivation.

I sure would love the point difference between Sabres and Coyotes to be at least 5 points when they meet on Thursday - that would give some cushion if Buffalo were to somehow win all 4 points between them (which I don't think will happen).

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Who here has been diagnosed with Battered Buffalo Fan Syndrome? Symptoms: Reaching a fatalistic conclusion related to a Buffalo Sports Franchise before actual events unfold. See your psychologist today. :sarcasm:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Don't worry guys if we miss out on McEichel all board the Matthews train next year!

After a 6 point weekend Matthews has 90 points on the season. With 2 USHL games left to play and likely 8 additional games with the U18 WJC I'd say there's a good chance he's going to break Kane's 102 point NTDP single season record.

He has 1 less point in 2 less games played than Jack Eichel in the USHL too. Will probably beat him in that category too.

Matthews > Kane + Eichel :sarcasm:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Don't worry guys if we miss out on McEichel all board the Matthews train next year!

After a 6 point weekend Matthews has 90 points on the season. With 2 USHL games left to play and likely 8 additional games with the U18 WJC I'd say there's a good chance he's going to break Kane's 102 point NTDP single season record.

He has 1 less point in 2 less games played than Jack Eichel in the USHL too. Will probably beat him in that category too.

Matthews > Kane + Eichel :sarcasm:

The thing is, this is the last year when tanking gets you a top 3 pick. Were done after this, A) because you can't expect the young core to lose forever without lowering your expectations of them, B) Matthews isn't going to be available to the 30th place team.

This is it. One month, the draft high strategy is over and whatever we have, we build around.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The thing is, this is the last year when tanking gets you a top 3 pick. Were done after this, A) because you can't expect the young core to lose forever without lowering your expectations of them, B) Matthews isn't going to be available to the 30th place team.

This is it. One month, the draft high strategy is over and whatever we have, we build around.

Not that I am advocating tanking next year but Mathews is only the second-best prospect behind Chychrun in my opinion, and it's arguable whether he's better than Puljujarvi. You can get decent odds at a top 3 pick just by being a bottom 5 team.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Not that I am advocating tanking next year but Mathews is only the second-best prospect behind Chychrun in my opinion, and it's arguable whether he's better than Puljujarvi. You can get decent odds at a top 3 pick just by being a bottom 5 team.

If we don't get a top 2 pick we will be a bottom 5 team next year. I won't cheer for losses out of the gate but we will be picking high next year.

Hanifin, Strome, and Marner will not make the team next year. We still have no top line center. Probably could see Girgensons & Larsson centering top 2 lines with Reinhart centering the 3rd line. That is not a recipe for many more goals. We will be like Carolina or Columbus this year talent wise.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If we don't get a top 2 pick we will be a bottom 5 team next year. I won't cheer for losses out of the gate but we will be picking high next year.

Hanifin, Strome, and Marner will not make the team next year. We still have no top line center. Probably could see Girgensons & Larsson centering top 2 lines with Reinhart centering the 3rd line. That is not a recipe for many more goals. We will be like Carolina or Columbus this year talent wise.

Anyone of those three guys has a chance to make the team next year, I would actually bet that one of those three will be in the NHL.

If Strome can get stronger and improve his skating a little bit I think he has a 50/50 chance of playing, Hanifin is so smart, poised and such a good skater I would think he would do fine if a team wanted him in the league.

But ya, I don't think any can have a big impact next season so we wouldn't have that 1C.

Last edited:

Karate Johnson*

I don't think I can even pay attention any more. Too stressful. Just check the standing at the end of the year.

This nonsense has me staying up watching damn oilers games

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Anyone of those three guys has a chance to make the team next year, I would actually bet that one of those three will be in the NHL.

If Strome can get stronger and improve his skating a little bit I think he has a 50/50 chance of playing, Hanifin is so smart, poised and such a good skater I would think he would do fine if a team wanted him in the league.

But ya, I don't think any can have a big impact next season so we wouldn't have that 1C.

If we drafted Strome we already would be starting the youngest centers in the league.

Girgensons
Larsson
Reinhart

I like Strome but don't see how he passes Reinhart next year. Reinhart has to be here next year or the Sabres look really stupid. If Murray falls in love with Strome over Hanifin then I expect him to stay away from the big club another year.

What really sucks is without the top center all our promising young players are playing up too high or out of position. Girgensons is the only one that I could see us surprising us yet again and taking another large leap next year.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't think I can even pay attention any more. Too stressful. Just check the standing at the end of the year.

This nonsense has me staying up watching damn oilers games

It's actually unbelievable, I've watched so much of the Arizona Coyotes, Edmonton Oilers and Buffalo Sabres it's embarrassing. That's been going on for months.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Obviously we are all smart enough here to know the players on the ice do not tank. They're playing for contracts, staying in the NHL, etc etc.

But, if there's say 6 games left, 2 of which against Arizona. Is it still ridiculous to think a player that is already locked up long term just might not try as hard in particular against Arizona? If you think about it, a better chance at mcdavid for someone that is locked up then has a better chance at a cup and if on a line with mcdavid could help future contracts.

I think most would still say no, including me. But I don't think it's that far fetched as say an entire team tanking for an entire season.

fing0rz

Nov 29, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.justin.tv
Obviously we are all smart enough here to know the players on the ice do not tank. They're playing for contracts, staying in the NHL, etc etc.

But, if there's say 6 games left, 2 of which against Arizona. Is it still ridiculous to think a player that is already locked up long term just might not try as hard in particular against Arizona? If you think about it, a better chance at mcdavid for someone that is locked up then has a better chance at a cup and if on a line with mcdavid could help future contracts.

I think most would still say no, including me. But I don't think it's that far fetched as say an entire team tanking for an entire season.

Wouldn't shock me at all.

Would you expect someone who has a long term contract to put 100% into every shift, knowing in a few weeks they get a few months off?
Why risk hurting yourself for the off season when there is seriously nothing for you to gain.

I know I know, these guys have different compete levels then the normal person but at the end of the day, they are people. They want their time off just as much as anyone else who goes on vacation.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Who do we have locked up long-term on the active roster though?

Ennis, Hodgson, Moulson, Gionta?

Everyone on this team has something to prove to try and stay relevant in the NHL.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
CAtjKigVIAA9r03.png

Frankly, I don't agree with this. The Coyotes will be very hard pressed to get a few points, let alone 10-11.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
There is no way Arizona gets 61 points, Toronto getting 9 more points? Lol

It's weird, because the model for the Sabres and Oilers has been consistent for the past month (EDM 63/BUF 55/56), yet Toronto and Arizona have dropped 5-6 points each over that span.

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
I underestimated Arizona's tanking ability. They are awful. They may not win another game.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I think that some black magic voodoo ceremonies are in order. If Vancouver also makes back up goalies look like Hasek, let us pray that PHX puts in a back-up because he won't jump over pucks and won't indirectly shoot them into his own net.

Might... MIGHT be a little nsfw but I feel like this is Murray vs Maloney

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If we drafted Strome we already would be starting the youngest centers in the league.

Girgensons
Larsson
Reinhart

I like Strome but don't see how he passes Reinhart next year. Reinhart has to be here next year or the Sabres look really stupid. If Murray falls in love with Strome over Hanifin then I expect him to stay away from the big club another year.

What really sucks is without the top center all our promising young players are playing up too high or out of position. Girgensons is the only one that I could see us surprising us yet again and taking another large leap next year.

Who Cares if the Sabres look stupid? If Reinhart is not ready, you put him in the proper channels for development.

Where this team will be in its rebuild status there is not a need for Reinhart to at up here if he's not ready. This goes for everyone in the system and on the roster. The key for this organization right now is to develop your players correctly, nothing more. Anything more is great.

If Reinhart is not ready you can sign a vet to take his place in the lineup(probably 3rd line center) for short term.

I would expect Murray to go after ROR really aggressively if we're in a position to pick 3rd or worse. I think the plan of the draft will become set in stone before the draft since we will know who will be taken #1 & #2 after the draft lottery. I would say it would be a successful draft day if we get Hanifin and ROR. I think of any team Buffalo would give ROR more opportunities for premier ice time, and contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad