HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
You know how sometimes when you used to turn from station to station on the radio, you might get to like a weird overlap of songs and voices mixed in with static and noise? I feel certain that I could pull something more compelling from that kind of combination than what the morning show on WEEI offers now.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
YES Network Finalizes $3.5B Sale To New York Yankees, Sinclair And Amazon – Deadline

The sale of the YES Network, the regional sports network home of the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Nets, to a consortium including the Amazon, the Yankees and Sinclair Broadcast Group, was finalized Thursday.

At $3.47 billion, the transaction is the largest piece of turf in the larger landscape of the formerly Fox-owned regional sports networks unloaded by Disney in the wake of its Fox acquisition. As a condition of approving the $71.3 billion acquisition of 21st Century Fox assets, the U.S. Department of Justice forced Disney to sell off the RSNs in order to avoid antitrust issues given its ownership of ESPN. The 21 other RSNs are now owned by a group of investors including Sinclair and Byron Allen, with the official news of that deal landing last Friday.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
Wow I thought Mut at night was bad enough (because it's so boring), Marc James the fill-in is a pretty hateful individual. He was ranting for like 45 minutes about that woman soccer player that kicked the field goal.

Reactions: Joe Zanussi

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
Wow I thought Mut at night was bad enough (because it's so boring), Marc James the fill-in is a pretty hateful individual. He was ranting for like 45 minutes about that woman soccer player that kicked the field goal.

What was his take? Haven’t listened much since Callahan got layed off. If he was questioning if she could do it in a live game situation, I think that’s reasonable. If he’s saying she doesn’t deserve a chance cause she’s a girl, I’m with you

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
What was his take? Haven’t listened much since Callahan got layed off. If he was questioning if she could do it in a live game situation, I think that’s reasonable. If he’s saying she doesn’t deserve a chance cause she’s a girl, I’m with you

Complaining about how what is going on with society that someone is pushing a narrative that the NFL "needs" a female kicker, and that his opinion on the matter is that Khalil Mack will kill her and people like himself are only trying to protect her by not supporting this. Also complaining about PC society or some other crap and that people are pandering otherwise they won't be PC and will get attacked. Basically content that would have been very good for the old morning show.

It all came off as very patronizing.

Reactions: Hnidy Hnight

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
Complaining about how what is going on with society that someone is pushing a narrative that the NFL "needs" a female kicker, and that his opinion on the matter is that Khalil Mack will kill her and people like himself are only trying to protect her by not supporting this. Also complaining about PC society or some other crap and that people are pandering otherwise they won't be PC and will get attacked. Basically content that would have been very good for the old morning show.

It all came off as very patronizing.

Gotcha, thanks for recap. WEEI is awful now. Red meat for Merchanson

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
New York Yankees, Sinclair, and Amazon are just an Axis of Evil right there

Gonna be tough for three entities to top that trifecta of awful.

So by default, this makes NESN on paper worth about 1.75 BILLION - This means JWH and friends are looking at close to a billion-dollar profit and still owning the team and the real estate - Not too bad for a 17-year investment.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBC is so fed up with Sinclair who owns WJAR Channel 10 in Providence that they have now launched a new transmitter for NBC Boston IN PROVIDENCE.

upload_2019-8-30_2-43-0.png

NBC can now demand that Cox Cable, FiOS and DirecTV/Dish must carry WYCN in the Providence market under 'must carry' rules and once that happens NBC can say adios to WJAR.

NBC moved the Nashua transmitter to Newton to cover Boston which is allowed under FCC rules

Reactions: Alicat

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Guest Column: Jim Nantz on the life and legacy of Jack...

Two weeks before my first Super Bowl call in 2007, I paid a visit to Jack in Palm Springs. We went to dinner with Tom Brookshier, and the man we both had resided next to in our golf careers, Ken Venturi. Knowing my anticipation and anxiety for calling the big game, Jack issued a stern warning: “Be ready for the opening kickoff.” He explained that back on that fateful day, Jan. 15, 1967, his first play call – the second-half kickoff – was filled with utter confusion. The play actually happened twice. The first one was waved off without explanation. The officials back in the day weren’t mic’d, so it took minutes for the answer to reach the booth: NBC, which was also televising the game, had been away in commercial so the officials took a mulligan. Imagine that today – a re-do in the Super Bowl! But the bottom line was Jack admitted it had troubled him the rest of that broadcast. Even 40 years later it was still upsetting to him. The ultimate wordsmith with no ability to inform his audience.

Cut to Super Bowl XLI, Feb. 4, 2007. We are on camera seconds before the opening kick of my first Super Bowl call. I made a comment about how this was the 16th time CBS had broadcast the big game. I mentioned how “we” were there for Super Bowl I with Ray Scott, Jack Whitaker, Frank Gifford and Pat Summerall. There was a deep satisfaction knowing that three of the four pioneers were watching (Scott had passed away in 1998), especially Jack.

I hoped he knew that I was channeling him as we then cut to Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri putting the football on the tee. Jack often turned the phrase – which others, like Venturi, often borrowed – “Fate has a way of bending a twig and fashioning a man to his better instincts.” It was never more true than that very moment. The ball landed in the arms of Devin Hester at the 8-yard line. Suddenly, Hester broke it and I exclaimed, “Hester gets past the first wave and here he goes.” I was internalizing, “Oh, my gosh, Jack Whitaker, how did you know!” He was in my heart every step of the way. Ninety-two yards. The first and only opening kickoff return touchdown in Super Bowl history.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I was driving home during this and it was insane....I finally called just to try and figure out was his point was. His argument consisted of:
1) “Are we really doing this? C’mon!!!!” (I pointed out that this isn’t really a thoughtful argument”)
2) “ So you’re telling me that Brittany Griener should play in the NBA?” ( I pointed out that it was apples and oranges....no woman could currently cut it in the NBA....Lloyd might be able to kick in the NFL)
3) “What happens when she gets hit?” (I asked if he’d also white knight for a male kicker of small stature)
4) (My personal favorite) “I thought the NFL was all about protecting women...Ray Rice.... remember that?” (This is too stupid to respond to)

He’s a legit moron

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Whoa! Didn't see that coming. I did like Bouch in last year's playoffs, but yeah, Edzo should be going to the #2 long before Regis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad