OT: Official Sports Media Thread VII - RIP Jim McCarthy of Sports Huddle fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Emrick is a tad over rated to me, I like is enthusiasm but his inability to remember who is on the ice drives me nuts. He constantly calls players by the wrong name.

It does happen quite a bit, but remember, unlike Jack, who like most of us can tell which Bruins are on the ice as much by their skating style as their number, Doc has to focus on learning/remembering both teams every time he broadcasts.

Jack and other local announcers only need to learn the visiting team each game.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
McCARTHY, James Joseph "Jazz" Age 91, died Wed., Aug. 28, 2019 at Linden Ponds in Hingham, MA surrounded by his loving family. He leaves his wife of 63 years, Patricia (Madden) McCarthy, his son Mark McCarthy, daughters Robin (Warren) Pelissier, Lisa (William) Vanderweil, son James (Carolyn) McCarthy as well as 7 grandchildren.

Born in Boston, he is the son of Joseph and Anne McCarthy and brother of Louise (McCarthy) Faulstich. Jim was an avid sports fan all his life. He was an all-star football and basketball player in high school and a graduate of Suffolk University. He served in in the US Army from Jan 1946- June 1947. Jim was a successful Insurance executive, but was best known for his 29 years on the Sports Huddle, a raucous, call in, weekly radio show with up to 20,000 callers on a given night.

He loved to read, run on Nantasket beach, travel with Patricia and play tennis with his buddies. He was handsome with blue eyes that twinkled and was always impeccably dressed. He was a devoted and adoring husband, father and grandfather with a quick, slightly salty wit and a grand heart. He will be missed dearly.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Sept. 11, 2019 at 11 am in St. Anthony Church, 10 Summer St., Cohasset, MA 02025.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Idle Hands in Malden is having their Oktoberfest celebration tomorrow. It's a really good time with great beer and good vendors.

Anywho, they are having a dunk tank with proceeds to benefit Housing Families, a Malden-based non-profit working to combat family homelessness. Pretty cool idea and a fun way to weave in giving back to the community. The schedule is as follows:

Dunk Tank Schedule
1:30 Dan McDonnell (Idle Hands staff)
2:00 Serg Parfeni (Bikeeny Caffe Owner)
2:30 Kevin Duffy (City of Malden)
3:30 Adam Jones (98.5 The Sports Hub)
4:00 DJ Bean (NBC Sports Boston)

Also scheduled to be dunked is Dom from Dom's Sausage, Idle Hands Owner and Founder Chris Tkach and Randy Deshaies from Hugh O'Neill's.

Thought there might be some interest in this thread for the last two. :naughty:

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
August was a dead heat between the 2 rivals

upload_2019-9-13_16-35-58.png

upload_2019-9-13_16-37-46.png

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Not sure if this question is better here or in the OT thread: Anyone know of any streaming services that carry NESN? I dropped cable over the summer and have* Hulu full tv service (*share with my sister as I share my HBO Now & Netflix with her). There is no NESN. I can't seem to figure out how I'm going to watch the Bs games this year without having to pick up cable again, which seems a little crazy since I'd need the Sports package & would be adding another 50/month for everything, plus get locked into a year long contract (at least).

I could look into Youtube TV, which I think has it (a friend has Youtube TV, he's a huge Bs/Sox fan, and has never complained about missing the games), but that's nearly the same as cable at this point since I'd have to pick that up on my own. I'm wondering if there's a NESN app that people can subscribe directly to, or if there are any other tricks now that cutting cable is more and more common.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I know I'm in the minority at hfboards, but I actually think both Emrick and McGuire are excellent broadcasters and very entertaining. The NBC games wouldn't be the same missing either of them.
I like Pierre - he’s nice to Ladyfan at the games and told me a few years ago the Bruins prospects are a heck of a lot better then you read - said they were as deep as anyone

I said ‘well you read all this shi....(interrupted) and the Donny Sweeney and his staff are doing a great job don’t believe everything you read

He was bang on

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not sure if this question is better here or in the OT thread: Anyone know of any streaming services that carry NESN? I dropped cable over the summer and have* Hulu full tv service (*share with my sister as I share my HBO Now & Netflix with her). There is no NESN. I can't seem to figure out how I'm going to watch the Bs games this year without having to pick up cable again, which seems a little crazy since I'd need the Sports package & would be adding another 50/month for everything, plus get locked into a year long contract (at least).

I could look into Youtube TV, which I think has it (a friend has Youtube TV, he's a huge Bs/Sox fan, and has never complained about missing the games), but that's nearly the same as cable at this point since I'd have to pick that up on my own. I'm wondering if there's a NESN app that people can subscribe directly to, or if there are any other tricks now that cutting cable is more and more common.

You Tube TV and FuboTV are the only legal options at the moment

Reactions: Bocephus86

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've thought about dropping cable too but I know zero about what equipment I'd need for streaming or about streaming services. No way I'm giving up watching the Bruins!!! Guess I'll ditch the landline and just go with my cell. I hate to do that but it is getting too expensive even with a tv/internet/phone bundle.

Reactions: sarge88

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Rich Keefe was great for the stein hoisting competition. I think DJ bean forgot he was doing a dunk tank and didn’t bring clothes.

Adam Jones brought team paraphernalia and asked every person who their favorite team was before they threw so he could put it on first. He’s a troll. But is pretty good with a crowd, and was a good sport.

My Venmo is open.

CAC37EDB-AB3B-4D00-A6A1-8FAE5C99AB00.jpeg

Reactions: smithformeragent

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My thing with Jones is that at least he owns being a troll

I’ll never listen to him (or anybody else on sports radio for that matter) but I respect the fact he doesn’t pee on ppls legs and tell them it’s raining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->