Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.) - V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Agreed. I did not listen but some prove would be nice before we all opine on this. A post on Minihane has already been debunked in the past day.

I do remember Minihane and Callahan making comments in the past (this playoffs) about him not being "elite". Particularly in comparison to Patrick Kane and Kopitar. Pretty typical looking at offensive stats only - type of analysis.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I am not trying to defend Minihane but I listen to the show everyday and I have not heard this. Can someone please provide an example or audio link that would prove this. The only one I can think of is that they have mocked people for getting all excited about him being on the new EA NHL cover, but that is not hating on Bergeron.

The snip-it they showed on NESN Sports Tonight last night showed he was skeptical of Bergeron at least in that instance.

I couldn't tell if he was joking or not though.

I remember during the playoffs they were comparing his offensive numbers, and laughing at the thought of him being elite.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
i saw the clip on NESN Sports Today. Minihane said "I would've put Subban on the cover!!" and Callahan went "Why?" and I cant remember anything else

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
D and C werent my cup of tea previously....but when Minihane came on I actually thought the show was excellent for a while. But now, i've turned it off. They seem to be on this riff where they are the only ones smart enough/ brave enough to say critical things....its a constant stream of them smiling at each other and saying, " ohhhh, dont say that Deano, the fanboys will be all over you"....."careful Gerry, you dont want to offend anyone". Its unlistenable in my opinion.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Not to defend what they said, because I didn't hear it, but some context would be helpful.

A summary, as I heard it yesterday somewhere between 5-6pm.

Holley asked them if Chiarelli should take any blame for putting the team in a bad cap situation. Dale and Jack both said no, and that there isnt a cap problem. Dale tried to explain his reasoning about the cap but couldn't finish the thought because the there really is no way to say the Bruins don't have a cap issue, he literally stopped mid sentence and they just moved onto something else.

Their website is screwed up, I've tried to listen to it again but the link to the show is not working.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
A summary, as I heard it yesterday somewhere between 5-6pm.

Holley asked them if Chiarelli should take any blame for putting the team in a bad cap situation. Dale and Jack both said no, and that there isnt a cap problem. Dale tried to explain his reasoning about the cap but couldn't finish the thought because the there really is no way to say the Bruins don't have a cap issue, he literally stopped mid sentence and they just moved onto something else.

Their website is screwed up, I've tried to listen to it again but the link to the show is not working.

Not defending Dale per se, because I didn't hear what he said, but to me the cap issues they have are primarily the by product of having a good team. Sure he's made some mistakes but for the most part they haven't been big mistakes. Sure overpaying 4-5 guys by 500-700k adds up but we've been very lucky as fans that they have been able to ice a very competitive team for 5-6 years now.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not defending Dale per se, because I didn't hear what he said, but to me the cap issues they have are primarily the by product of having a good team. Sure he's made some mistakes but for the most part they haven't been big mistakes. Sure overpaying 4-5 guys by 500-700k adds up but we've been very lucky as fans that they have been able to ice a very competitive team for 5-6 years now.

I'd say it's the byproduct of winning a cup and trying to keep everyone, no matter how important or minimal their contribution really was. In a cap world, you cannot overpay in dollars and then make it worse by overextending on the number of years. The cherry on top is his inclusion of NTC's on what seems to be every deal. Those are huge missteps by PC during his time here, IMO, and it has reached critical mass now, and what you're going to see is better players lost and replaced with lesser players because he's overpaid the bottom of his roster.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts

I agree with you, my point is that they can't be critical of the team to the point where they can't even admit Chiarelli should take any blame or that they are in a tight spot with the cap.

I think the Bruins decided to both reward their players and try to keep them together after winning the cup by giving out slightly inflated contracts to certain guys and resigning others maybe a year longer than he should have. Even now I don't have a problem with that decision, the only problem I had was that they knew they would probably be in a really tough position this offseason and left the deadline with Meszaros and Potter but that is a totally different topic :)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'd say it's the byproduct of winning a cup and trying to keep everyone, no matter how important or minimal their contribution really was. In a cap world, you cannot overpay in dollars and then make it worse by overextending on the number of years. The cherry on top is his inclusion of NTC's on what seems to be every deal. Those are huge missteps by PC during his time here, IMO, and it has reached critical mass now, and what you're going to see is better players lost and replaced with lesser players because he's overpaid the bottom of his roster.

They didn't try to keep everyone though. They identified who they wanted to build around and cut Thomas, Seguin, Ryder, Horton, Ference, Peverly, and Thornton loose.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They didn't try to keep everyone though. They identified who they wanted to build around and cut Thomas, Seguin, Ryder, Horton, Ference, Peverly, and Thornton loose.

So they didn't resign most of those guys before moving them? Cutting someone loose 2-3 years after the fact tells me that they did in fact try to keep most of that 2011 team together. Also, they didn't cut Thomas loose. He walked on them. Same thing with Horton. They wanted to keep him and he wanted no part in staying. You also left the two worst contracts on the team currently off the list. Campbell and Kelly. Boychuk's deal is somewhat inflated too.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River

Thomas - Left the team
Seguin - Was re-signed to a huge contract
Ryder - lol
Horton - They wanted him badly, he didn't want to stay
Ference - They wanted him badly, but couldn't afford him
Peverley - Was re-signed to an even worse contract than Kelly
Thornton - They kept him until he couldn't play anymore

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Thomas - Left the team
Ryder - lol

In theory, they even kept Thornton after he couldn't play anymore.

How was Peverley's contract worse than Kelly's? 250k more, 1 year less term, limited NTC, better player.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Just a quick listen to EEI in the car today; according to their sports update, the Celtics made two draft picks last night, the U.S. soccer team lost to Germany, and the Sox play the Yankees tonight. And that's it. :laugh:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I agree with you, my point is that they can't be critical of the team to the point where they can't even admit Chiarelli should take any blame or that they are in a tight spot with the cap.

I think the Bruins decided to both reward their players and try to keep them together after winning the cup by giving out slightly inflated contracts to certain guys and resigning others maybe a year longer than he should have. Even now I don't have a problem with that decision, the only problem I had was that they knew they would probably be in a really tough position this offseason and left the deadline with Meszaros and Potter but that is a totally different topic :)

I agree but any media person that is employed directly by the team they are supposed to "critique" is in a tough position and is an easy mark for any of us.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Just a quick listen to EEI in the car today; according to their sports update, the Celtics made two draft picks last night, the U.S. soccer team lost to Germany, and the Sox play the Yankees tonight. And that's it. :laugh:

I remember the last day I watched ESPN Sportscenter. The day after the Bruins won the cup in 2011, it took 20+ minutes before they mentioned it.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

So the issue here is that they didn't mention that the Bruins will be making a pick tonight that we potentially won't see in the NHL for 3 years? I don't recall either station mentioning the Red Sox making their 26th pick on the day of the MLB draft either.

The MLB/NHL Drafts are wildly different from NBA/NFL. In the latter, the draftees almost all play right way. In the former, they take a few years to develop in most cases. The year's we drafted in the top 10 (like the Celtics did last night) there was lots of talk about the draft.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
So the issue here is that they didn't mention that the Bruins will be making a pick tonight that we potentially won't see in the NHL for 3 years? I don't recall either station mentioning the Red Sox making their 26th pick on the day of the MLB draft either.

The MLB/NHL Drafts are wildly different from NBA/NFL. In the latter, the draftees almost all play right way. In the former, they take a few years to develop in most cases. The year's we drafted in the top 10 (like the Celtics did last night) there was lots of talk about the draft.

I'm not expecting EEI to discuss the NHL draft. I would expect a Boston sports radio station to take 15 seconds to mention in its news update that the draft is occurring today, and also that the Bruins just announced a major front office restructuring.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I'm not expecting EEI to discuss the NHL draft. I would expect a Boston sports radio station to take 15 seconds to mention in its news update that the draft is occurring today, and also that the Bruins just announced a major front office restructuring.

Eh, like I said, they didn't mention the MLB Draft to my recollection either, and remember Sports Radio caters to the casual 4 sport fan. The kind of fan who has never heard of Scott Bradley or Ryan Nadeau. They may be aware that some guy traded us Rask for Raycroft once. I'm not sure they know his name (or care).

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Eh, like I said, they didn't mention the MLB Draft to my recollection either, and remember Sports Radio caters to the casual 4 sport fan. The kind of fan who has never heard of Scott Bradley or Ryan Nadeau. They may be aware that some guy traded us Rask for Raycroft once. I'm not sure they know his name (or care).

And in related news at the top of the 2 o'clock hour EEI includes the NHL draft in their update. Artemis must have called up and gave a hissy fit.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Thomas - Left the team
Ryder - lol

Thomas- Traded
Seguin- Traded
Ryder- Chose not to resign him
Horton- Chose not to resign him
Ference- Chose not to resign him
Peverly- Traded
Thornton- Chose not to resign him

Thats a pretty funny way of trying to keep them.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Thomas- Traded
Seguin- Traded
Ryder- Chose not to resign him
Horton- Chose not to resign him
Ference- Chose not to resign him
Peverly- Traded
Thornton- Chose not to resign him

Thats a pretty funny way of trying to keep them.

That's some impressive revisionist history, man. Can I have whatever you've been drinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad