Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.) - V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What do you guys think Horton would have done if Chia chose to offer him an extension of 7 years and 37 million dollars (what he got from Columbus) when he was still a bruin?

Come on people. . . :shakehead

Much like Thomas told the team he was not going to play for them. Really, the decision was Boston's though. Just rewriting history to suit an argument, FFS...:laugh:
Thomas was honest to a fault, but he never said he would not play for Boston- he said he was going to take time off from hockey so Chia moved him. He could have kept him on the roster if he wanted.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What do you guys think Horton would have done if Chia chose to offer him an extension of 7 years and 37 million dollars (what he got from Columbus) when he was still a bruin?

Seeing as he didn't give Boston a chance to even counter the CBJ offer, I'd say nothing...

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

So because Chiarelli didn't grossly overpay Horton....that equates with "he chose not to sign him"

For crying out loud, for all we know the offer Chiarelli had on the table was 6/30.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
And in related news at the top of the 2 o'clock hour EEI includes the NHL draft in their update. Artemis must have called up and gave a hissy fit.

A hissy fit? :laugh: Hardly. I just thought it was amusingly typical that the midday show would ignore hockey. It's also unsurprising that Arnold would mention the draft, the number of the Bruins pick, and the F.O. restructuring, without going into detail, as top-of-the-hour news. That's what it is - news. Analysis isn't expected, at least not from me.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So because Chiarelli didn't grossly overpay Horton....that equates with "he chose not to sign him"

For crying out loud, for all we know the offer Chiarelli had on the table was 6/30.

One mans "grossly overpaid" is another's "market value" chia chose not to offer him his market value and thus to run the risk of him walking away. That was a choice.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
One mans "grossly overpaid" is another's "market value" chia chose not to offer him his market value and thus to run the risk of him walking away. That was a choice.

Totally what it looked like on Behind the B. That stunned silence looked like a man choosing not to offer his player market value.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Why did chia let it get to the point of Columbus even getting to make an offer?

Painted himself into a corner with the cap signing role players to market value, wanted the player to give him time to clear it up, player grew tired of waiting?

Sound familiar?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Painted himself into a corner with the cap signing role players to market value, wanted the player to give him time to clear it up, player grew tired of waiting?

Sound familiar?

Right, he decided getting Hortons contract done wouldn't be a necessity. That's the whole point, he made choices about which players to prioritize and which ones he'd need to let go- that's life under the cap. He made the right choice with Horton- no way in hell is he worth what it would have cost boston to sign him.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North

Thomas was honest to a fault, but he never said he would not play for Boston- he said he was going to take time off from hockey so Chia moved him. He could have kept him on the roster if he wanted.

He never even hit 30 goals, injured too much, floated all over the place but you wanted to give him a payday :shakehead just cause he could knock in tap ins ...in playoffs doesn't make him a superstar

Problem is we haven't had a true RW that actually shoots right .. Horton Ryder Pevs not even close to the talent that's out there ...Segs was our best RW and he was playing out of position

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Right, he decided getting Hortons contract done wouldn't be a necessity. That's the whole point, he made choices about which players to prioritize and which ones he'd need to let go- that's life under the cap. He made the right choice with Horton- no way in hell is he worth what it would have cost boston to sign him.

You keep insisting Chiarelli is making choices the past two offseasons. He's been forced. He signed role players (Kelly and Peverley) to "market value" contracts and the cap went down with no rollbacks. They IMMEDIATELY crapped the bed after the lockout. They had to move contracts before they signed anyone. That wasn't a choice, that was a must. He wasn't waiting on Horton to re-sign Kelly and Peverly, he was waiting on Horton to move Kelly and Peverley. And to the shock of no one, it was virtually impossible. But the moral of the story is that he wanted to re-sign Horton all along, he didn't de-prioritize him. Horton just wanted his piece of the pie before it went to someone else, and who can blame him.

In reality, they should have moved or bought out Kelly and Peverley the minute the Finals were over. The fact that we still have Kelly's $3m after another garbage season and a cap penalty from that season is a disaster. Whether you think he's Scotty Bowman on ice or not.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It's just the most recent example of the fact that 95% of media members in Boston do not understand the game.

And another example as to why I don't really want any of them talking hockey at all unless they are interviewing Brick, Pierre and a few others.

I don't listen to eei but I've seen this character on CSNE. *Click.*

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Not defending Dale per se, because I didn't hear what he said, but to me the cap issues they have are primarily the by product of having a good team. Sure he's made some mistakes but for the most part they haven't been big mistakes. Sure overpaying 4-5 guys by 500-700k adds up but we've been very lucky as fans that they have been able to ice a very competitive team for 5-6 years now.

Yes. And you never hear Felger berating the Blackhawks for dumping all of those players after *their* post-Cup cap hangover.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
gotta love felger. was a believer in the bruins up until they lost and just saw a clip from sports sunday where felger is yelling at dj bean saying "you hockey media overrated this team all year, etc."

guy is such a fraud sometimes

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Uncomfortable for Callahan today who is the spokesman for some hair transplant doctor. Caller asked him about his lack of hair about 5 times. Reasonable question.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Uncomfortable for Callahan today who is the spokesman for some hair transplant doctor. Caller asked him about his lack of hair about 5 times. Reasonable question.

To be fair, that guy has called 4-5 times that I've heard in last couple of months asking the same thing.

One trick pony.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
To be fair, that guy has called 4-5 times that I've heard in last couple of months asking the same thing.

One trick pony.

I heard them mention that but it did make me wonder about Gerry's hairline. He hates dishonesty and deception yet beats the drum for his doctor that appears to have done next to nothing for his hairline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad