Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.) - V

Status
Not open for further replies.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
re: that canada v. latvia game from the olympics.

the only entertainment was watching team canada fans slowly melting down as the game continued on with the game tied. it was completely one-sided and we all knew that the canada goal was coming at any time. latvia was just good enough to hold them off.

that's not an entertaining game.

As one sided as it was, I found it beyond entertaining...I must've been the only one.

Nobody was expecting a Latvia win, but nobody expected the best team on the planet needing 57 shots to score 2 goals against such a major underdog.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Damned if this didn't sound familiar!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/s...nesty-may-not-be-the-best-policy.html?hp&_r=0

NATAL, Brazil — The list of improvements that the United States men’s soccer team needs to make is considerable. Coach Jurgen Klinsmann would like to see a more consistent back line, better touch from his midfielders and plenty more production from the attackers.

Yet as Klinsmann and his players begin their World Cup here Monday against Ghana, trickier questions of soccer acumen have come into focus:

Are the Americans bad at playacting? And if so, should they try to get better?

The first part seems easy enough. For better or worse, gamesmanship and embellishment — or, depending on your sensibilities, cheating — are part of high-level soccer. Players exaggerate contact. They amplify the mundane. They turn niggling knocks into something closer to grim death.

They do all this to force the referee to make decisions, with the hope that if he is confronted by imagined bloodshed often enough, he will ultimately determine he has seen some. Applying this sort of pressure on the official is a skill that, by their own admission, United States players generally perform poorly, if they perform it at all.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
http://deadspin.com/how-the-spurs-rebuilt-a-champion-1591353673

found this interesting, looking at the spurs and how they've built a consistent great team.

so much of what a good gm does anymore is has his pro scouts recognize talent that can be underpaid for what value they bring. that's what the spurs seem to have done and that's what the good teams do; good teams recognize their core and build around them as best they can.

there are more people than i'd like to see who think that chiarelli or julien are at fault somehow for the bruins not winning 98 games a year. the truth is that the salary cap in these leagues makes things incredibly difficult for gm's to operate the way they'd like. "back in the day" you could just throw money at a problem or keep a guy making three million to play on your fourth line. that can't happen now.

the spurs have won five titles with tim duncan, four with duncan, ginoboli and parker. basketball is different from hockey, obviously, but the language can be used across sports. identify your core, build around them with good players who might not be superstars and pray.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
As I've made clear a bunch of times, I don't listen to Felger, but can someone confirm this was actually said? The body is not even cold and those idiots are crapping on Tony Gwynn?

Via Boston Sports Media Watch:

As the baseball world mourned Tony Gwynn yesterday, the media was almost unanimous in praising Gwynn as not just a great player, but a great person as well.

The exception, as always, was the aforementioned Felger and Mazz, with former baseball reporter Massarotti calling Gwynn “overrated” and Felger suggesting that the Padres star used steroids. Stay classy, guys.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
As I've made clear a bunch of times, I don't listen to Felger, but can someone confirm this was actually said? The body is not even cold and those idiots are crapping on Tony Gwynn?

Via Boston Sports Media Watch:

I didn't listen too closely, but I remember them agreeing that "by all accounts, he was one of the good guys" in terms of professionalism and cordiality. Tony also said he was a tremendous hitter, akin to a Wade Boggs.

I don't recall steroid accusations, but it wouldn't surprise me coming from the db/lil weenie.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Turned on EEI this morning to the Merloni and the new guy, listened to about five minutes of (unironic) whining about David Ortiz whining, and turned it off.

Tried again in the afternoon, and heard new guy saying Uehara gave up that homer yesterday because closers are terrible in non-save situations, because they don't bear down. :facepalm: I didn't think it was possible, but they found someone who's dumber than Mutnansky. :help:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Turned on EEI this morning to the Merloni and the new guy, listened to about five minutes of (unironic) whining about David Ortiz whining, and turned it off.

Tried again in the afternoon, and heard new guy saying Uehara gave up that homer yesterday because closers are terrible in non-save situations, because they don't bear down. :facepalm: I didn't think it was possible, but they found someone who's dumber than Mutnansky. :help:

Artemis, are you aware that some on this board want to trade your avatar?

Further, are you aware that although I appreciate your status as Greek deity, I *also* recall the great Artemis Gordon of "Wild Wild West" fame?

It's true. :)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
posted this in the draft thread up top, but Kirk was on a few minutes ago with Adam Jones on 98.5 (they usually put it up for listening) and there is so much mindless crap on these boards (I may be the leader in the club house) but Kirk just brings waves of interesting information about all things Bruins. Fantastic.

Also, this was Kirk's final interview because he is leaving for Afghanestan very soon and wont even be around to go to the Draft in Philly with his Red Line scouting team. Bums me out that he doesn't get to do what he loves hanging with all the players and their family he covered, but moreso concerns me he is going to a dangerous place albeit that is his job but it still worries me. Sorry Kirk.

Anyways, Happy Birthday, thanks for those 98.5 visits that are becoming more prominent and do me a favor- visualize every day you are gone 'being back here healthy, and happy, and breaking down prospects and who the Bruins could be interested in for 2015, 2016, 2017 and on and on'.

Be safe

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Artemis, are you aware that some on this board want to trade your avatar?

Further, are you aware that although I appreciate your status as Greek deity, I *also* recall the great Artemis Gordon of "Wild Wild West" fame?

It's true. :)

I quite liked Mr. Gordon myself, though he showed proper respect for a deity and spelled his name Artemus. :)

And some have been calling for the trade of the Matrix since the day he arrived from Providence. Fortunately said posters are not employed by the Bruins. :p:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
posted this in the draft thread up top, but Kirk was on a few minutes ago with Adam Jones on 98.5 (they usually put it up for listening) and there is so much mindless crap on these boards (I may be the leader in the club house) but Kirk just brings waves of interesting information about all things Bruins. Fantastic.

Also, this was Kirk's final interview because he is leaving for Afghanestan very soon and wont even be around to go to the Draft in Philly with his Red Line scouting team. Bums me out that he doesn't get to do what he loves hanging with all the players and their family he covered, but moreso concerns me he is going to a dangerous place albeit that is his job but it still worries me. Sorry Kirk.

Anyways, Happy Birthday, thanks for those 98.5 visits that are becoming more prominent and do me a favor- visualize every day you are gone 'being back here healthy, and happy, and breaking down prospects and who the Bruins could be interested in for 2015, 2016, 2017 and on and on'.

Be safe

true this! please be safe and come home healthy. Thanks for posting this DKH

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com

Be safe

All I know about the guy is his contribution to these boards over the years and his unbelievably good writing, but I feel pretty certain he is a grade-A human being.

How long is a tour, six months? Is that what's taking him overseas?

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
0YZpu9j

Johnny Wallgame really likes Jimmy Kimmel!

DONG, DONG, DONG :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad