OT: Official Sports Media Thread IX: Boston Marathon TV coverage will move to Channel 5/ESPN as of next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I loved his show with Michael Holley. It was great listening- 2 smart, knowledgable and surprisingly funny guys talking sports.

Good luck Dale!
I enjoyed listening to them, too. They didn't create drama for the sake of drama. It was sports talk, not sports hysteria. Now, it seems like the on-air talent take opposite sides just to have a discussion. I know Dale has his detractors, but I always enjoyed listening to him and I preferred him over Jack as the Bruins PBP. And, as @Gator Mike points out, Dale was one of the few who not only wanted to talk about the Bruins, he was typically well-reasoned when he did (unlike Felger).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I enjoyed listening to them, too. They didn't create drama for the sake of drama. It was sports talk, not sports hysteria. Now, it seems like the on-air talent take opposite sides just to have a discussion. I know Dale has his detractors, but I always enjoyed listening to him and I preferred him over Jack as the Bruins PBP. And, as @Gator Mike points out, Dale was one of the few who not only wanted to talk about the Bruins, he was typically well-reasoned when he did (unlike Felger).
Dale said he wanted to come home to Maine.....although it was hard even then, to follow in Emrick's coatttails here, nevermind Boston....

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

The Planet Mikey Show

tenor.gif

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Aside from his family....and I even question that....how many people look forward to seeing Bill Lindsay on NHL Network?

Cannot be more than 6.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Frankly I think Dale is a great guy. He used to be a contributing member here. Shared some great insights publically.
Shared some good things privately.

I guarantee based on conversations I had with him way back when this isnt the first time he put family first. A trait I admire.

Longtime presence Dale Arnold announces his retirement from WEEI - The Boston Globe

“I’m going to retire from the radio business,” said Arnold, who turns 65 later this month. “I am not going to be coming back after tomorrow’s show.”

“Some of you know this and some of you don’t,” said Arnold at the end of the show, “My wife had to retire from her employment in September; she’s had some medical issues. And you start thinking about things.

“You start thinking about, you know, ‘I’d like to spend some more time with her. I’d like to have one full-time job instead of two. I’d like to have summer months to go back to my home state of Maine and enjoy myself more.’ ”

Arnold estimated he has done 29,000 hours of sports-talk radio in his 33-year career in the Boston market.

“And I’ve had enough," he said.

He said he declined an offer to do some part-time hosting work on the station, but said he will return occasionally to call Red Sox games this summer.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Frankly I think Dale is a great guy. He used to be a contributing member here. Shared some great insights publically.

I guarantee based on conversations I had with him way back when this isnt the first time he put family first. A trait I admire.

Longtime presence Dale Arnold announces his retirement from WEEI - The Boston Globe

“I’m going to retire from the radio business,” said Arnold, who turns 65 later this month. “I am not going to be coming back after tomorrow’s show.”

“Some of you know this and some of you don’t,” said Arnold at the end of the show, “My wife had to retire from her employment in September; she’s had some medical issues. And you start thinking about things.

“You start thinking about, you know, ‘I’d like to spend some more time with her. I’d like to have one full-time job instead of two. I’d like to have summer months to go back to my home state of Maine and enjoy myself more.’ ”

Arnold estimated he has done 29,000 hours of sports-talk radio in his 33-year career in the Boston market.

He said he declined an offer to do some part-time hosting work on the station, but said he will return occasionally to call Red Sox games this summer.
Dale is a cross between Doc Emrick, who he had to follow here in Maine radio, and TC, who everyone knows is from here as well...

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
PHILADELPHIA, PA – March 12, 2021 – Entercom welcomes Andy Gresh as midday show co-host for WEEI (WEEI-FM/AM) in Boston. Gresh will join co-host Rich Keefe on “Gresh & Keefe,” weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. ET, effective March 15.

“Andy Gresh has a vast amount of experience covering the Boston sports scene, making him a perfect addition to our midday programming,” said Mark Hannon, Regional President, Entercom Boston. “We’re excited to team him up with WEEI’s Rich Keefe to bring listeners a dynamic midday show that will reflect what sports fans are talking about day in and day out.”

“I'm excited to be back on the radio in Boston,” said Gresh. “I think people know I'm pretty familiar with this time slot, but it's time to present something new and fresh, with energy, focus and fun. Rich Keefe and I have always had a cool relationship that I truly believe will translate through the speakers.”

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
PHILADELPHIA, PA – March 12, 2021 – Entercom welcomes Andy Gresh as midday show co-host for WEEI (WEEI-FM/AM) in Boston. Gresh will join co-host Rich Keefe on “Gresh & Keefe,” weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. ET, effective March 15.

“Andy Gresh has a vast amount of experience covering the Boston sports scene, making him a perfect addition to our midday programming,” said Mark Hannon, Regional President, Entercom Boston. “We’re excited to team him up with WEEI’s Rich Keefe to bring listeners a dynamic midday show that will reflect what sports fans are talking about day in and day out.”

“I'm excited to be back on the radio in Boston,” said Gresh. “I think people know I'm pretty familiar with this time slot, but it's time to present something new and fresh, with energy, focus and fun. Rich Keefe and I have always had a cool relationship that I truly believe will translate through the speakers.”

That's just terrible. Keefe and Holley were good together. I liked Dale and Keefe less because I didn't think they had good chemistry together. I certainly won't be tuning in to hear Gresh though. That guy is just not my cup of tea.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

good for Dale on retiring to spend more time with the people he loves doing the things he enjoys

I liked Dale and Holley, I thought it was some of the most rational sports radio we had in the area

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In 2017 Dale was a guest on Kirk's podcast and for the first time he really was able to vent

Ep. 65: Dale Arnold Part 1

Kirk Minihane sits down with his radio father, Dale Arnold for an extensive two part interview. Kirk and Dale talk about Dale's start with WEEI, his 6 years as a co-host with Eddie Andelman, his firing from the station in 2011, and their differing philosophies on radio. This is a fantastic look behind the scenes from two people who have had very different careers.

Ep. 66: Dale Arnold Part 2

Part Two of Kirk Minihane's sit down with WEEI afternoon host Dale Arnold. Kirk and Dale discuss the differences between their shows, philosophical differences on how to run one, Rich Keefe, Mike Mutnansky, Dale's thoughts on the Kirk and Callahan Casting Couch, and much more.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
That's just terrible. Keefe and Holley were good together. I liked Dale and Keefe less because I didn't think they had good chemistry together. I certainly won't be tuning in to hear Gresh though. That guy is just not my cup of tea.
What a let down for the mid day show. WEEI is going to take a hit with these two. I won’t be listening. I’ll have to wait till 2pm. No Hockey talk in Boston. What a crime. I don’t like Felger due to his way of razzling the the listeners and then cutting them off. Weasel. I would throw a bucket of money at Holley. He and Keefe had good chemistry. Great great radio guy.

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What a let down for the mid day show. WEEI is going to take a hit with these two. I won’t be listening. I’ll have to wait till 2pm. No Hockey talk in Boston. What a crime. I don’t like Felger due to his way of razzling the the listeners and then cutting them off. Weasel. I would throw a bucket of money at Holley. He and Keefe had good chemistry. Great great radio guy.

I hear you and it's disappointing at the lack of options a market this size has. I love Felger for why you hate him, but I get why you don't like his act.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts

Oh god what a downgrade for WEEI. I love Keefe, he's not particularly insightful but he is fun to listen to. Gresh is just a dopey meathead and WEEI has enough of those already in the 2-6 slot. I don't know why they feel the need to go through another retread.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Oh god what a downgrade for WEEI. I love Keefe, he's not particularly insightful but he is fun to listen to. Gresh is just a dopey meathead and WEEI has enough of those already in the 2-6 slot. I don't know why they feel the need to go through another retread.

If they were smart they'd have gone in a direction that nobody else is doing and possibly innovated the time slot. Instead it's basically Gresh and Zo but on competing stations, and that show sucked.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I hear you and it's disappointing at the lack of options a market this size has. I love Felger for why you hate him, but I get why you don't like his act.
I just think it’s ESPN like what he does.
WEEI gets another football guy. We’re left with Greg Hill to ocassionally talk about the game last night. The ratings might be an eye opener for some.;)

Reactions: LSCII

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Holley is still around... but like Dale stated as to why he made the decision he did.... it's a competing network... TV-wise..... Holley's consistently on Boston Sports Tonight on NBCSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad