OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The idea of needing a shock jock in morning drive can be traced to Don Imus who became huge in New York some 45 years ago....

When WFAN bought WNBC they had to keep Imus.

When WEEI first started in 1991 they hired Andy Moes ( I was a dear friend of his from college ) and it was a bad fit. Andy was a great second banana but wasn't a captain. WEEI replaced Moes with Imus and a few years later went with D&C.

Radio is performance art - keep the listeners engaged. Sometimes a line is crossed

WBZ Flashback: Fallout From WAAF Radio Prank

Reactions: BMC and Si Hopkins

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
I’ll say this, at least Dennis had better interviews and always had subject matter. Kirk just plays to the reality show mantra that dominates today’s society. People love to put people down. It’s what sells. He brutal at times. When he isn’t interesting on air, I just change the channel. I didn’t do that before.

Yeah, maybe so. But after the Metco fiasco I could only hear the racist POS. It always trumped whatever professionalism he might have had.

I'm genuinely curious, what do people envision as the perfect, or at least, best sports radio host? I'm guessing we don't really have that person in Boston right now. What makes a great sports radio host and why don't we have that person?

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
The idea of needing a shock jock in morning drive can be traced to Don Imus who became huge in New York some 45 years ago....

When WFAN bought WNBC they had to keep Imus.

When WEEI first started in 1991 they hired Andy Moes ( I was a dear friend of his from college ) and it was a bad fit. Andy was a great second banana but wasn't a captain. WEEI replaced Moes with Imus and a few years later went with D&C.

Radio is performance art - keep the listeners engaged. Sometimes a line is crossed

WBZ Flashback: Fallout From WAAF Radio Prank

"Radio is performance art."

100% truth.

Thanks, Fenway, for the historical perspectives. I always appreciate them.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yeah, maybe so. But after the Metco fiasco I could only hear the racist POS. It always trumped whatever professionalism he might have had.

I'm genuinely curious, what do people envision as the perfect, or at least, best sports radio host? I'm guessing we don't really have that person in Boston right now. What makes a great sports radio host and why don't we have that person?

The Metco fiasco started with the front page of the Herald showing the gorilla next to a bus stop. I can guarantee that most listeners either laughed or winced at the comment at the time it made. Make no mistake that while Entercom slapped D&C on the wrist for what was said, they also knew the majority of listeners agreed with it.

Guy Mainella started sports radio on WBZ 50 years ago and he was excellent in sorting the table.

Boston has a reputation of being a racist city and if an outsider looks at the on air lineups at both WEEI and 98.5 during the week it is angry white males. That is the target demographic..............PERIOD.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The Metco fiasco started with the front page of the Herald showing the gorilla next to a bus stop. I can guarantee that most listeners either laughed or winced at the comment at the time it made. Make no mistake that while Entercom slapped D&C on the wrist for what was said, they also knew the majority of listeners agreed with it.

Guy Mainella started sports radio on WBZ 50 years ago and he was excellent in sorting the table.

Boston has a reputation of being a racist city and if an outsider looks at the on air lineups at both WEEI and 98.5 during the week it is angry white males. That is the target demographic..............PERIOD.
According to Jemele Hill, yes. Either way, name me a city that doesn't have a history of racism.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What does this have to do with Boston sports radio target demographics?

It is all demos today.

KISS 108's morning person Matt Siegel owns the female demographic and has for 3 decades. It has carried on from mother to daughter with very little slippage.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Tom E. Curran and Sean McAdams is my dream show. Have Curran in the A-chair, and let his exuberance and humor play off McAdam's dry wit. Both very knowledgeable and levelheaded too, but willing to call out people who deserve it without being jerks.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I listened to Guy Mainella every night after supper -"Calling All Sports". He was great- knowledgeable about sports and had interesting guests.

Today's sports talk radio I'm sorry to say is dumbed down garbage. It's all about being loud, rude and crude there's no room for thoughtful discussion. Sports tv talk is no better.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tom E. Curran and Sean McAdams is my dream show. Have Curran in the A-chair, and let his exuberance and humor play off McAdam's dry wit. Both very knowledgeable and levelheaded too, but willing to call out people who deserve it without being jerks.
McAdam is also very good on hockey - they’d have all 4 sports covered WELL

Beats an unprepared Gary Tanguay wearing fake glasses and if you could see looking clueless

Reactions: EverettMike

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
They found he wrote “complete fabrications” and will still be back to work in 3 months. I guess short of burning Fenway down it takes quite a bit to be fired from the Globe

Just to be clear, I am not defending him or the Globe.

The "complete fabrications" is from interviews he gave, not about what he wrote. My bet is because he didn't actually write any fabrications for the paper it would be very hard to fire him.

But to me as a representative of the paper if he's not being credible outside of his columns he can't be trusted in his column either, so he should be gone.

As for the actual 5-year anniversary column that set this in motion, when I read it I got the impression he was there when the bombs went off. I don't think he did anything technically wrong, but his style left it too ambiguous, and likely that was intentional to make the piece more powerful (which it was originally).

So did he technically violate policy? No, but it doesn't pass the smell test. Even if he was 2 miles away when the bombs went off and he ran to the site 10 minutes later, say that (it wouldn't have lessened the piece). Don't write it in such a manner we can't tell what your actual experiences were.

Reactions: Chief Nine

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
McAdam is also very good on hockey - they’d have all 4 sports covered WELL

Beats an unprepared Gary Tanguay wearing fake glasses and if you could see looking clueless

I was just going to post this about McAdam, but saw yours. Everyone knows him as a baseball guy, but I thought his hockey knowledge was very good when he was on EEI in the past.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Just to be clear, I am not defending him or the Globe.

The "complete fabrications" is from interviews he gave, not about what he wrote. My bet is because he didn't actually write any fabrications for the paper it would be very hard to fire him.

But to me as a representative of the paper if he's not being credible outside of his columns he can't be trusted in his column either, so he should be gone.

As for the actual 5-year anniversary column that set this in motion, when I read it I got the impression he was there when the bombs went off. I don't think he did anything technically wrong, but his style left it too ambiguous, and likely that was intentional to make the piece more powerful (which it was originally).

So did he technically violate policy? No, but it doesn't pass the smell test. Even if he was 2 miles away when the bombs went off and he ran to the site 10 minutes later, say that (it wouldn't have lessened the piece). Don't write it in such a manner we can't tell what your actual experiences were.
Valid points. For me it is real simple. Going forward how is anyone supposed to believe anything he writes? Hence why they should part ways with him. Still baffling to me NBC keeps Brian Williams employed.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Jack Edwards to remain with NESN as Bruins play-by-play voice - The Boston Globe

When NESN hired Jack Edwards in September 2005 to be the Bruins play-by-play voice for its road broadcasts, the former ESPN SportsCenter anchor said it was his dream job.
“My hope is still to be doing this in 2025,” he said.
Thirteen years and a new contract later, Edwards’s whimsical wish is now in the range of reality.
NESN has not made a formal announcement yet, but according to industry sources, Edwards recently agreed to a new contract to remain as the Bruins play-by-play voice for the foreseeable future. One source said the new deal was for four years, which would take him through the 2021-22 season.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Jack Edwards to remain with NESN as Bruins play-by-play voice - The Boston Globe

When NESN hired Jack Edwards in September 2005 to be the Bruins play-by-play voice for its road broadcasts, the former ESPN SportsCenter anchor said it was his dream job.
“My hope is still to be doing this in 2025,” he said.
Thirteen years and a new contract later, Edwards’s whimsical wish is now in the range of reality.
NESN has not made a formal announcement yet, but according to industry sources, Edwards recently agreed to a new contract to remain as the Bruins play-by-play voice for the foreseeable future. One source said the new deal was for four years, which would take him through the 2021-22 season.
Great....years more of The Jack Edwards Show.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There will be no changes on NESN’s Bruins broadcast team in the coming season. Edwards, who became the sole play-by-play voice in the 2007-08 season (Dale Arnold had called the home games), will be joined again by veteran color analyst Andy Brickley and rinkside reporter Alex Kraemer, who made a good impression last season, her first in the job. :huh::huh:

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad