OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
WEEI can't be happy with the raw numbers as even with the Red Sox they are losing ground to 98.5

upload_2018-6-12_17-32-38.png

upload_2018-6-12_17-34-0.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I was brought up on Canadian play by play voices but when I worked in Boston for 2 years at NESN, Doc’s voice became my new favourite soundtrack. His brilliance comes from his ability to let the game be the star. He simply tells the story of what is happening on the ice in front of him. He is easy to listen to because the broadcast isn’t about him.

After being laid off in the Sportsnet cuts and a summer of interviewing for several hockey jobs, it became clear to me I needed to pivot. I had always wanted to try play-by-play but never had the opportunity or the courage to put it out there. It truly is the toughest thing we can do in our industry and hockey is even more of a challenge due to the speed of the game. I had never met Doc but he was the one I wanted to emulate in the booth. So, I reached out to (NBCSN studio analyst) Keith Jones and asked if he thought Mr. Emrick would be willing to speak to me about the play-by-play role. Keith facilitated the introduction and 48 hours later I had connected with Doc. Our first conversation was on the phone. I had a pad of paper ready to write down all the knowledge I hoped he would share with me. Instead, the call was about me, followed by stories of his early days as a reporter and his interactions with my family in the hockey world.

At the end, he said, find a local team and get in a booth and practice. He said, “Leah, I can tell by the way you speak you have all the tools for this so go get it.”

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I was brought up on Canadian play by play voices but when I worked in Boston for 2 years at NESN, Doc’s voice became my new favourite soundtrack. His brilliance comes from his ability to let the game be the star. He simply tells the story of what is happening on the ice in front of him. He is easy to listen to because the broadcast isn’t about him.

After being laid off in the Sportsnet cuts and a summer of interviewing for several hockey jobs, it became clear to me I needed to pivot. I had always wanted to try play-by-play but never had the opportunity or the courage to put it out there. It truly is the toughest thing we can do in our industry and hockey is even more of a challenge due to the speed of the game. I had never met Doc but he was the one I wanted to emulate in the booth. So, I reached out to (NBCSN studio analyst) Keith Jones and asked if he thought Mr. Emrick would be willing to speak to me about the play-by-play role. Keith facilitated the introduction and 48 hours later I had connected with Doc. Our first conversation was on the phone. I had a pad of paper ready to write down all the knowledge I hoped he would share with me. Instead, the call was about me, followed by stories of his early days as a reporter and his interactions with my family in the hockey world.

At the end, he said, find a local team and get in a booth and practice. He said, “Leah, I can tell by the way you speak you have all the tools for this so go get it.”

Expect nothing less from Mr. Emrick.

Go get 'em!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
WEEI can't be happy with the raw numbers as even with the Red Sox they are losing ground to 98.5

View attachment 124841

View attachment 124843
I been going in real early to work even before they go on at 6 so I haven’t heard their show since May 1. Today I had my physical at 7:15 so. I heard a little and couldn’t figure out what was going on.

It was Mut & Gerry then I realized Kirk had done a rant and stormed off. He came bzck but then was going after the program manager and the GM

They were upset they couldn’t talk about transgender issue apparently

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I been going in real early to work even before they go on at 6 so I haven’t heard their show since May 1. Today I had my physical at 7:15 so. I heard a little and couldn’t figure out what was going on.

It was Mut & Gerry then I realized Kirk had done a rant and stormed off. He came bzck but then was going after the program manager and the GM

They were upset they couldn’t talk about transgender issue apparently

Weei shouldn't be happy, their morning show is a disgrace to sports. Kirk is the WOAT

Reactions: BNHL

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Ratings are the bottom line and he’s #1

I guess but I don’t consider it a sports show. It’s a car wreck. Instead of a Kirk and Callahan it should be named spoiled and entitled. It’s a show centered around Kirks cruelty and lunacy. Other hosts are usually scared this guy will try to destroy their careers as we’ve seen over the years

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I guess but I don’t consider it a sports show. It’s a car wreck. Instead of a Kirk and Callahan it should be named spoiled and entitled. It’s a show centered around Kirks cruelty and lunacy
I listen to T&R now

Haggs on TV he looks like he’s losing weight - wonder if he is on one of those weight loss programs

Reactions: KrejciMVP

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I guess but I don’t consider it a sports show. It’s a car wreck. Instead of a Kirk and Callahan it should be named spoiled and entitled. It’s a show centered around Kirks cruelty and lunacy. Other hosts are usually scared this guy will try to destroy their careers as we’ve seen over the years
For me,there is only one way to describe Minihane-Scum!

Reactions: KrejciMVP

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm sure his replacement would have a similar response. They couldn't care less about anything but ratings and sponsorship.

why should they care about anything but that? they're main goal is to get the most ad revenue they can and to get more listeners to be able to charge advertisers more. Thats it.

no offense, but unless its hurting one of those 2 things, they aren't (and shouldn't) going to care about 1 person's opinions.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Absolutely. I contacted Entercom twice about Kirk the Dick and Phil Zachary responded twice with that very fact.
The replacement I’m guessing gets tested early by Kirk.

If I’m making that hire for that group I’m seeing what Nanny McPhee is up to.

Reactions: BNHL

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
The morning show at WEEI has always used cruelty for ratings, at least the lunacy brings an element of surprise.

Kirk is the best that station has to offer and it's not even close.
Cruelty for ratings doesnt seem like something to strive for or support

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

WEEI basically condones Kirk using Mutt as a prop to mock and ridicule. Mutt rarely gets to talk sports, and I feel bad he has to take that stress home with him everyday. Mutt is his peer and coworker, not Kirks outlet for his frustrations.

Last edited:

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com

Agreed, but the reason I think Kirk is good at what he does isn't because he's "cruel." It's because the whole enterprise of FM sports radio is absurd and Kirk plays into that absurdity hard. I've said this before, but he reminds me of Andy Kaufman or Borat and I listen to him like that's what he's doing. I see it all as a performance that generates interest (for better and worse). And in an age when there is virtually no reason to turn on FM radio, that's notable.

Honestly, I'm not a dedicated listener. I think people take that dude waaaay too seriously. And I bet that's the case for the people around him. He's a nutjob. But I'd be curious if anybody's career has actually been destroyed by him? Did he help get rid of Salk? Or Benz? Seems like they picked up whre they left off in Seattle and Pittsburgh. Is that a bad thing? And as for Mutt, Mutt and Kirk are friends. If anything, K&C have elevated Mutt's boring as f profile at that station.

The people that confuse me most are the ones who say Kirk is a scumbag but pine for the days of John Dennis. That's madness to me.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Agreed, but the reason I think Kirk is good at what he does isn't because he's "cruel." It's because the whole enterprise of FM sports radio is absurd and Kirk plays into that absurdity hard. I've said this before, but he reminds me of Andy Kaufman or Borat and I listen to him like that's what he's doing. I see it all as a performance that generates interest (for better and worse). And in an age when there is virtually no reason to turn on FM radio, that's notable.

Honestly, I'm not a dedicated listener. I think people take that dude waaaay too seriously. And I bet that's the case for the people around him. He's a nutjob. But I'd be curious if anybody's career has actually been destroyed by him? Did he help get rid of Salk? Or Benz? Seems like they picked up whre they left off in Seattle and Pittsburgh. Is that a bad thing? And as for Mutt, Mutt and Kirk are friends. If anything, K&C have elevated Mutt's boring as f profile at that station.

The people that confuse me most are the ones who say Kirk is a ******* but pine for the days of John Dennis. That's madness to me.
I’ll say this, at least Dennis had better interviews and always had subject matter. Kirk just plays to the reality show mantra that dominates today’s society. People love to put people down. It’s what sells. He brutal at times. When he isn’t interesting on air, I just change the channel. I didn’t do that before.

Reactions: Si Hopkins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad