OT: Official Scoring problems thread and solutions

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No, at that point it's on them. The whole premise here is that because they are already playing a playoff style, with stingy defense, that their overall ratio will hold. Playoffs or otherwise.

Edit: So this isn't a defensive team now?

I said they're in playoff form because their offense has dried up.

This is a team with an offense that has regressed (same core as 2011 when it was a dynamic offense...or so you've pointed out 6 months ago) that has become a defensive team by default because our offense has dried up while our goaltending is as good as it has ever been.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I said they're in playoff form because their offense has dried up.

This is a team with an offense that has regressed (same core as 2011 when it was a dynamic offense...or so you've pointed out 6 months ago) that has become a defensive team by default because our offense has dried up while our goaltending is as good as it has ever been.

Lol If thats what you pulled from my post, good for you.

For anyone who wants to look more into this, start looking at defensive clubs and judge accordingly. With the way this team plays, transition offense won't come easy. The top guys are experiencing that change the most.

Also check out the post about ratios in the Armchair thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
a good offensive dman is the biggest problem with the PP but overall the forward group on this team is incompetent offensively.

puck moving dmen won't change the fact that most of our forwards can't put the puck in an empty net.

in terms of a quick fix, adding a good puck moving PP QB on the back end would have the biggest impact because it would directly improve the PP. the forward group looks like it might need a complete overhaul. not such a quick fix.

edit: this is so not OT

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
a good offensive dman is the biggest problem with the PP but overall the forward group on this team is incompetent offensively.

puck moving dmen won't change the fact that most of our forwards can't put the puck in an empty net.

in terms of a quick fix, adding a good puck moving PP QB on the back end would have the biggest impact because it would directly improve the PP. the forward group looks like it might need a complete overhaul. not such a quick fix.

Most definitely. We need a Letang type. Michael Del Zotto would have been a very smart pickup. Wouldn't have solved this cores problems, but would go a long way towards building the next core.

Hopefully Jordan Subban or Pat McNally develop because we don't have a defenseman in the system who can lead a rush outside of those two.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The team has a lot of good two-way players but lacks creativity. It's also a thin roster. They're similar (but not as deep) as Los Angeles in that regard. I'm a believer that a certain amount of "roster balance" is useful, and the Canucks don't have much -- and have almost none when a few key players are injured.

The Canucks were a 55 CF team during the 17 game streak earlier this year when the top line was healthy and intact (after Burrows broken foot and before his broken jaw). That's a really good run of hockey. Then they started to lose guys and the lack of roster depth has been exposed in a big way.

The thing is, even when they were healthy/dominating possession, they were still an offensively challenged team; they could just get away with it. Right now they can't. This team screams out for a few elite offensive players if they can't acquire elite three-zone players. It would help on the power play, and it would help the team score against the run of play once in awhile. That would be huge.

I just don't know if those are adjustments that can be made mid-season, but if Gillis doesn't address them in a big way this off-season, he should be fired.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
The power play is just awful. They need to get back to basics. Off hand cannons from the point and a big body in front of the net to screen or deflect. Not burrows or Higgins, but a kassian or sestito. They keep going back to the same stupid set up and it's frustrating to see.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Most definitely. We need a Letang type. Michael Del Zotto would have been a very smart pickup. Wouldn't have solved this cores problems, but would go a long way towards building the next core.

Hopefully Jordan Subban or Pat McNally develop because we don't have a defenseman in the system who can lead a rush outside of those two.

should try to get Campbell out of Florida and reunite the deadly Campbell-Garrison pairing.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
should try to get Campbell out of Florida and reunite the deadly Campbell-Garrison pairing.

Patchwork. Perhaps if they hold back some salary but I doubt that would happen. I would prefer to get younger though.

A guy like Tyson Barrie or Sami Vatanen would make a lot of sense and wouldn't cost as much.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
An excellent GM doesn't let a goalie controversy turn into a 3 ring circus show for the better part of a year, only to trade one of them for weak value

An excellent GM actually does a good job drafting in the first round

An excellent GM doesn't continually lose trades year after year

gillis is still getting pretty overrated by the looks of it

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Just want to chime in with this again:
Vanek and moulson are the only players available in the top 30 PP scoring over the last 4 years.

Wetcoaster

Is this a process??

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
#Canucks Gillis on low-scoring games in #NHL: 'we haven't adapted to this methodology of scoring goals as well as we should have.'

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Is this a process??

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
#Canucks Gillis on low-scoring games in #NHL: 'we haven't adapted to this methodology of scoring goals as well as we should have.'

He really doesn't have a clue of what the heck he's doing, does he...?

He's like Kesler the year after his Selke, thinks he's Ovechkin and can dangle through 2 men on every rush. Gillis gets a shiny trophy, and now believes every scrub he touches will be gold.

Wetcoaster

While Canucks fans complain about scoring consider this - Jason Garrison would lead the Panthers in scoring right now.

arsmaster*

Should have kept old one eye Malhotra. Only 3 less goals than Hank.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I still think that once Burrows gets going, things will start to fall into place a bit. Although I do think we could still use scoring on top of that, I do think we'll see a shift upwards in the production.

I do think Tortorella needs to allow the Sedins to go with who they are most comfortable and produce the most with... without a doubt that's Burrows.

Kesler and Kassian seem to be making up a decent second line with Higgins.

Add in a slight improvement from the powerplay also, and we're probably talking a little less about this. Right now everything that could be going wrong is. There really isn't one player that is performing very well, except for maybe Higgins... Kassian has improved a bit as well.

I think once one of those three things (Burrows starts scoring, Sedin Line starts clicking, PP improves slightly), you'll see the other 2 start to improve as well and this will help our overall output of goals.

..... or it keeps going the way it is for the rest of the season. I can't help but begin to think that with everyone on a downward trend that it has a lot to do with Tortorella's system.

arsmaster*

Patchwork. Perhaps if they hold back some salary but I doubt that would happen. I would prefer to get younger though.

A guy like Tyson Barrie or Sami Vatanen would make a lot of sense and wouldn't cost as much.
5'9" dmen. No thanks.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

There are rumours that Jack Johnson might be available. He has his warts but I wonder if on a defence as "deep" as the Canucks the coaching staff would be able to hide him a bit against tougher match ups.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
There are rumours that Jack Johnson might be available. He has his warts but I wonder if on a defence as "deep" as the Canucks the coaching staff would be able to hide him a bit against tougher match ups.

No, never JJ. He's terribad.

People get on Edler right now, but there would be a pitchfork mob out for JJ in VAN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad