OT: Official Scoring problems thread and solutions

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
I don't know how to solve the problem, but the fact that we don't have anyone in the top 50 of scoring in the NHL (Henrik and Daniel are both tied for 50th, currently) this late in the season should be a real cause of alarm for every fan of this team.

I don't think that has ever happened this late in the season in the 20 years that I've been a fan of this team. Not to my memory, anyway.

I noticed this last night, not that they were at 50 but that we didn't have a soul in the top 30, it isn't a nice thing to see.

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
Depth players aren't threats and Sedins have declined a bit. Kesler IMO still has it, but has no one consistent to be sent out with.

Burrows not scoring is huge. That's 20 goals at least that were expected.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Canucks problem with scoring is worse than ever... it used to be that we needed a 1st line player to play with the Sedin's, who were also 1st line players, but now, I honestly wouldn't consider any one of our forwards to be top line players on any contending teams.

40 points in 54 games for Daniel, and 40 in 50 for Henrik... just not even close to being good enough. Kes has always been on that line between 1st/2nd line player, but now has regressed back to being a good 2nd liner.

Next we have players like Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Santorelli, Kassian, all of whom should be 3rd line players on a contending team, having to move up to our 1st and 2nd lines.

Depth isn't our problem, top tier scoring is our problem, and I don't see any trade that is going to come close to solving that problem.

We better hope Shinkaruk and Horvat can become solid 1st liners in the next couple years (improbable imo) or this team is going to get ugly in a hurry.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
When guys like Clark MacArthur, Reilly Smith, Nick Bonino, Hudler, and Wayne Simmonds are scoring at the same or higher rate than our best players... you know how bad it really is.

We need to unload our defense, like Edler and Bieksa/Garry/Hamhuis, to bring in some good young offense, and let Torts bring up some of the younger guys to learn his system... because that is his one area, if nothing else, that he really excels at.. Getting young players to play his defensive system.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
In the full season's worth of games prior to AV and Brown getting fired the Canucks' PP was operating at about 14% which is really no better than the 13.8% they've done this year. I'm not seeing much evidence that the Canucks' PP problems are coaching related.

The percentages may be similar but there has definitely been a change in shooting rate on the PP which is at least one tangible difference from last season - they're currently ranked 3rd in SF/60 whereas they were something like 20th last year. How do we know it's not just a matter of luck not yet evening out in terms of conversion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad