*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Hey guys, San Jose fan here. Keeping Sarnia's best interest in mind, I think they'd rather trade Goldobin over Kodola, taking into account the amount of time the former would spend in the OHL over the latter. Can someone tell me what are the chances, if gold goblin comes back, that he is traded. Also can someone with a great amount of knowledge of the OHL tell me that if he was to get traded, would he go to one of either Guelph or London? Thanks :yo:

If Goldobin is sent back to the Sting I believe that he is the more likely candidate to be moved given the fact that Kodola is a 96 plus and isnt draft eligible til 2015. Looks like the GM is trying to build the team around a strong core of 96'S, 97's, AND 98'S to try and be a serious competitor next season. ( Actually with the way the 98 draft class looks the team appears it could make some noise for some time to come - but we've seen this movie before and somehow they always find a way to screw it up ).

Of course it would also depend on the quality of players offered in return, however as has been previously stated here the fact that Goldy is an Import with one year remaining in the league the list of teams probably wont be a long one. Would prefer to see him dealt out of the conference if he is sent back to Sarnia.

road warrior

May 25, 2014
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman said:
perk of owning an OHL team i guess.

Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan said:
I don't understand why this continues to come up----it is what it is and isn't going to change. You are talking about a kid who works his ass off and gives more effort than many others on team----his limited fourth line ice time( if he is even in the lineup) will really not equate to any more wins or losses.

A few points on this:
1) The team owners can decide who they want on their team – for sure it’s “a perk of owning an OHL team
2) Doesn’t mean the fans have to be like it and they’re entitled to voice their opinion on a hockey discussion board.
3) But endlessly re-hashing it won’t change the reality – as stated “it is what it is”.
4) BUT while I’m getting tired of the complainers too – I’m also mystified by the apologists who keep saying “this kid works his ass off and doesn’t personally deserve the criticism”. Posters criticize players - star players, young players, any player - every day of the season – why should Ciccarelli be exempt.
5) Being aware of the nepotism issue in both Sarnia and Sudbury I took note of both Cicerello’s & Burges’s play when I saw the Sting and Wolves play – and despite the overwhelming:rolleyes: statistical advantage for Ciccarelli – based on only the 1 or 2 games I saw each play - given a choice of the 2 – I’d take Burges.

What I’m trying to say is - I think the criticism should be for his play and not for his name.
Based on the couple times I saw him play last year – the complainers will still have lots of opportunity to voice their displeasure.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Hey guys, San Jose fan here. Keeping Sarnia's best interest in mind, I think they'd rather trade Goldobin over Kodola, taking into account the amount of time the former would spend in the OHL over the latter. Can someone tell me what are the chances, if gold goblin comes back, that he is traded. Also can someone with a great amount of knowledge of the OHL tell me that if he was to get traded, would he go to one of either Guelph or London? Thanks :yo:

It's a tricky situation as to where he might end up because of the import slots.

Personally, I think SSM could be a great destination and the Sting have made deals with them previously but they don't have the roster import spots. They do have a plethora of young forwards fighting for spots that would be of interest to Sarnia and give SSM more immediate help.

I also see Niagara as a team who needs his offensive game and with a slew of picks, it could happen. However, they have two imports already committed in defenseman Mikulovich and newcomer forward Aagaard

PBO is another team who could make a splash especially given their strong prospect group (of interest to Sarnia's future)

Mississauga is a team who could have interest and certainly could use him (with an open slot)

Erie makes sense but are they willing to pay? Ottawa appears to have a slot open too and could have interest.

Windsor is an option just because I see Yazkov as somewhat expendable but I'm not sure they have enough puck to go around or need Goldobin this season.....or even have the assets/picks to acquire him (mainly due to the Brown blockbuster)

Looking at the 2014-15 rosters on the league website, these are the occupied import slots of each team:

BAR - Andersson (D), Gibl (G)
BEL - Tomasek (F)
ERIE -

OTT - Lintuniemi (D)
GUE - Suter (F), Baltisberger (D)
KGN - Lammikko (F), Parikko (D)
KIT - Franzen (F), Sergeev (D)
LDN - Miromanov (F), Bergman (D)
MISS - Babintsev (F)
NIA - Aagaard (F), Mikulovich (D)
NB - Henriksson (F)
OSH - Lindberg (F), Hertzberg (D)
OTT - Tyanulin (F), Lintuniemi (D)
OS - Palmu (F), Sharipzyanov (D)
PBO - Masin (D)
PLY - Crus Rydberg (F), Rathgeb (D)
SAG - Artemov (F), Serebryakov (G)
SSM - Tolchinsky (F), Bouramman (D)
SBY - Kashtanov (F), Jenys (F)
WSR - Yazkov (F), Soberg (F)

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Thanks everybody for the replies and an extra thanks to the guy above for posting the link :handclap:. Can anyone tell me if Sarnia's coach instills a two-way game into his forwards? Because the reason why I asked if goldy can be traded to Guelph or London was that the forwards on those teams seem to be at least mediocre in their own end and I always read these reviews about golds defensive game being basically non-existant. So I was hoping that if he was traded to one of those teams, Walker or Hunter would hammer into goblin that you got to give a s**t about the zone behind your blue line.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Thanks everybody for the replies and an extra thanks to the guy above for posting the link :handclap:. Can anyone tell me if Sarnia's coach instills a two-way game into his forwards? Because the reason why I asked if goldy can be traded to Guelph or London was that the forwards on those teams seem to be at least mediocre in their own end and I always read these reviews about golds defensive game being basically non-existant. So I was hoping that if he was traded to one of those teams, Walker or Hunter would hammer into goblin that you got to give a s**t about the zone behind your blue line.

So hypothetically, Nikolay is traded. We get a couple of players, forwards.. who is on the outside? We lack a pure goal scorer…don't see anyone emerging.
From what I saw, Zacha needs a finisher. From what I have seen over the years, Renaud is not it. He might be big enough to use a guardian angel, but don't think he has the speed to be in the play all of the time. Hodgson… was he even on that line? They looked good to start but misfired the rest of the way. Lack of playing together perhaps. Korlestolev is probably the closest thing we have to a finisher… and do we have another? As i said, we lack a pure goal scorer but who knows four more exhibition games… maybe we will find one.
Will be interesting to see who the final cuts are, and line combos. We have too many Ron Ellises on the team. If i hear one more time, what a great shot i will puke. If it doesn't hit the net, it's not a great shot…it is a missed opportunity.
Four to go and a long long wait for a home opener… See ya in October.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It's a tricky situation as to where he might end up because of the import slots.

Personally, I think SSM could be a great destination and the Sting have made deals with them previously but they don't have the roster import spots. They do have a plethora of young forwards fighting for spots that would be of interest to Sarnia and give SSM more immediate help.

I also see Niagara as a team who needs his offensive game and with a slew of picks, it could happen. However, they have two imports already committed in defenseman Mikulovich and newcomer forward Aagaard

PBO is another team who could make a splash especially given their strong prospect group (of interest to Sarnia's future)

Mississauga is a team who could have interest and certainly could use him (with an open slot)

Erie makes sense but are they willing to pay? Ottawa appears to have a slot open too and could have interest.

Windsor is an option just because I see Yazkov as somewhat expendable but I'm not sure they have enough puck to go around or need Goldobin this season.....or even have the assets/picks to acquire him (mainly due to the Brown blockbuster)

Looking at the 2014-15 rosters on the league website, these are the occupied import slots of each team:

BAR - Andersson (D), Gibl (G)
BEL - Tomasek (F)
ERIE -

OTT - Lintuniemi (D)
GUE - Suter (F), Baltisberger (D)
KGN - Lammikko (F), Parikko (D)
KIT - Franzen (F), Sergeev (D)
LDN - Miromanov (F), Bergman (D)
MISS - Babintsev (F)
NIA - Aagaard (F), Mikulovich (D)
NB - Henriksson (F)
OSH - Lindberg (F), Hertzberg (D)
OTT - Tyanulin (F), Lintuniemi (D)
OS - Palmu (F), Sharipzyanov (D)
PBO - Masin (D)
PLY - Crus Rydberg (F), Rathgeb (D)
SAG - Artemov (F), Serebryakov (G)
SSM - Tolchinsky (F), Bouramman (D)
SBY - Kashtanov (F), Jenys (F)
WSR - Yazkov (F), Soberg (F)

Isn't it confirmed that Artur Tyanulin will play for Ottawa this season? And I'm pretty sure Vladimirov is playing for Peterborough. Is Hampus Olsson playing for North Bay?

The only teams with open spots are Belleville, Erie, and Mississauga.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Isn't it confirmed that Artur Tyanulin will play for Ottawa this season? And I'm pretty sure Vladimirov is playing for Peterborough. Is Hampus Olsson playing for North Bay?

Yes to Tyanulin, Vladimirov. Not sure about Olsson. My list was based on rosters posted on the OHL main site with added imports I knew who were committed. There's certainly a chance I missed some (ala Tyanulin and Vladimirov).

Options are limited for Goldobin trade if he returns to the OHL and Sarnia plans on moving him.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario

What would it take to get Goldobin, three 2nd's +++ ?

massey

Sep 5, 2012
What would it take to get Goldobin, three 2nd's +++ ?

I think if you read the above quotes on this subject that one would have to wonder if he is worth as much as some thinks.I think with being an import and limited to the teams that have room for him that 3-2nd rds might be a big price for him.Maybe closer to trade deadline he might be worth more but they have to decide soon.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
In the black and white game, Korostelev and Zacha had a couple of good shifts with exc scoring opportunities and impressive puck movement.

It did look like there was a good chemistry there. Zacha was at centre and didn't look out of place there. Will likely take Zacha 15 games before he really hits his stride as he gets acclimatized to the North American game. I expect a big increase in production numbers from Korostelev this year if he can stay healthy. The pipeline of younger players looks better than it has in a long, long time for this team. Those predicting the Sting for dead last might be in for a surprise.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
I've watched Alex Black play for a few seasons now. I remember him being listed at 5'11" but he definitely looks like he's grown since then. He is a stay at home defenseman who plays a physical game. If anything he needs to work on lowering his hits a little cause he seems to catch guys in the head a little more than I'd like to see, but that "in your face" style is going to be a boost to the Sting blueline.

I only saw a bit of camp and the pre-season game but I'm pretty excited to see how Hayden Hodgson does with a full season in Sarnia. Hodgson was our highest rated player in the CHL that went undrafted. We had him inside the top 100 but after this season, someone may have to take him even earlier.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
I've watched Alex Black play for a few seasons now. I remember him being listed at 5'11" but he definitely looks like he's grown since then. He is a stay at home defenseman who plays a physical game. If anything he needs to work on lowering his hits a little cause he seems to catch guys in the head a little more than I'd like to see, but that "in your face" style is going to be a boost to the Sting blueline.

I only saw a bit of camp and the pre-season game but I'm pretty excited to see how Hayden Hodgson does with a full season in Sarnia. Hodgson was our highest rated player in the CHL that went undrafted. We had him inside the top 100 but after this season, someone may have to take him even earlier.

Hodgson looked to be among the best players at camp so far. If he's given top line minutes I could see him racking up quite a few points. I'm assuming he didn't work his way high enough up the depth chart in Erie to put up bigger numbers. Either way looks like a nice pickup by Abercrombie.

Not surprised to see that they are giving Black a card . The team has already got some rovers on the back end and really needs a stay at home , gritty type of player back there besides Chapman. Would not be surprised to see one of the excess d get dealt before the season gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad