*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
New off-season thread for the Sarnia Sting.

Sarnia holds the 1st overall selection in the OHL Priority Selection Draft

Looks like Jakob Chychrun should be donning the Sting jersey

Canuck71*

What are Sarnia fans opinions on selecting Chychrun 1st overall? I really like how we have the option to take him or Mascherin, who will be the go to guy on our defence the next 2-3 seasons or a gritty goal scorer for the next 4 seasons. Its a really tough decision for me and I honestly don't know who they should select.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
What are Sarnia fans opinions on selecting Chychrun 1st overall? I really like how we have the option to take him or Mascherin, who will be the go to guy on our defence the next 2-3 seasons or a gritty goal scorer for the next 4 seasons. Its a really tough decision for me and I honestly don't know who they should select.

think u gotta go with the top ranked kid. Whether he reports, that is another story... I think you get three years at least from him, maybe 4 on the outside.
Hopefully, if the trade for Tony D or Goldobin is completed, you will be able to secure some excellent prospects.
So who is back and who is out? Guys like Matt C, White, Renaud who are fringe players... exception to white as rookie and injury perhaps, but to the other two for sure...fourth line players on last place team. Maybe Brown goes too if he did not have the late run of offence.
I see kodola staying and drafting an offensive euro.
What are the trade windows?
btw, maybe link here from old page... trouble finding it.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
There's no real decision for me. Take Chychrun.

I don't think Mascherin would be a great fit in Sarnia. He's pretty one-dimensional and I am not sure the fans there would like that about him. The kid can definitely score though. I just know how frustrated fans have got with that style of player in the past.

Chychrun is the player

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
If it was my decision, draft Chychrun no questions asked. Then move Goldobin and DeAngelo. The return I would want for both Goldobin and DeAngelo would be at least two 96 shut down d-men and try to obtain a OA d-man too. The 96 d-men would be the key pieces to both trades (not traded as a package). Guys that play defense first and can make that first pass out of the zone. This team desperately needs to improve the back end.

Top 4 d-men next year after moving Goldobin and DeAngelo would be Chychrun, Spinozzi, OA d-man and one of the 96's picked up in a trade. Not saying this is the order they would be paired in, but that would be my top 4. Then you can add guys like King, Core, Schlichting and if need be Chapman to the bottom pairings. I know some fans love Chapman, but I wouldn't waste an OA spot on him. He is Johnny hustle every night, but he doesn't have the skill to play in the top 4 and in my mind an OA should be top 4 on defense or top 6 on offense.

Then draft the best center from the Euro draft that fits now and next year. Kodola really improved as the season went on so to have a 1-2 punch of Kodala and the Euro pick would be fine next year. If Nikandrov can stay healthy he plays 3rd line center and I would look to add an energy guy to play on the 4th.

Top wingers would be Hodgson and Korostelev. The group takes a bit of a dive after that. Lindberg has shown promise, but other than that this team is really weak. Brown had an off year and in one dimensional and too small. Renaud still hasn't proven why the Sting used a 2nd round pick on him. Bushnell needs to learn to play more hockey instead of trying to fight all the time. He played a limited role this year and seemed more interested in dropping the gloves than playing hockey.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dupuis and Fazio in net next year. We all know Dupuis can stop the puck and in the small sample Fazio has shown he has a lot of potential.

It's going to be another tough year next season, but hopefully they make some moves that puts the team in the right direction.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Received my 2104-2015 renewal today.Not sure who will enjoy my $1634.00 as the new owner IF we renew.1st overall draft pick will be named by the Sting April 4th in the HIVE at 11:30am.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
If it was my decision, draft Chychrun no questions asked. Then move Goldobin and DeAngelo. The return I would want for both Goldobin and DeAngelo would be at least two 96 shut down d-men and try to obtain a OA d-man too. The 96 d-men would be the key pieces to both trades (not traded as a package). Guys that play defense first and can make that first pass out of the zone. This team desperately needs to improve the back end.

Top 4 d-men next year after moving Goldobin and DeAngelo would be Chychrun, Spinozzi, OA d-man and one of the 96's picked up in a trade. Not saying this is the order they would be paired in, but that would be my top 4. Then you can add guys like King, Core, Schlichting and if need be Chapman to the bottom pairings. I know some fans love Chapman, but I wouldn't waste an OA spot on him. He is Johnny hustle every night, but he doesn't have the skill to play in the top 4 and in my mind an OA should be top 4 on defense or top 6 on offense.

Then draft the best center from the Euro draft that fits now and next year. Kodola really improved as the season went on so to have a 1-2 punch of Kodala and the Euro pick would be fine next year. If Nikandrov can stay healthy he plays 3rd line center and I would look to add an energy guy to play on the 4th.

Top wingers would be Hodgson and Korostelev. The group takes a bit of a dive after that. Lindberg has shown promise, but other than that this team is really weak. Brown had an off year and in one dimensional and too small. Renaud still hasn't proven why the Sting used a 2nd round pick on him. Bushnell needs to learn to play more hockey instead of trying to fight all the time. He played a limited role this year and seemed more interested in dropping the gloves than playing hockey.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dupuis and Fazio in net next year. We all know Dupuis can stop the puck and in the small sample Fazio has shown he has a lot of potential.

It's going to be another tough year next season, but hopefully they make some moves that puts the team in the right direction.

No way Spinozzi was in the top 4 based on this years play.No Brainer is Chapman as an O/A.He was top 2 dmen this year.A very underrated Dman in the OHL.Not sure how much more skill is required,Blocks shots,hard slapper,true enforcer on the team and gets the job done.McDowell,Core and King played as well as Spinozzi.I agree with moving DeAngelo and Goldobin.I would have DeAngelo before trade deadline when he was worth something.Trade value based on his play and actions is a fraction of what it was 3 months ago.We need defense for sure and Chychrun would help there.If those trades are done,we should get another dman and we need someone to put the puck in the net.A real scorer would be badly needed.Vendramin could help that spot also.Looking forward to watching our goalies as it could be another long season next year unless the forwards learn to pick a man up coming back.Hopefully the Sting can pick another player or 2 up on the cheap such as Hodgson and Lindberg.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010

When Dupuis is on his game, yes, but he is not a #1 goalie in the OHL. Hopefully Fazio can continue with his play from the few games last year. He has the potential to be that guy this team has needed in the net.

As for the rest of this team, hopefully Renaud progresses the way Hunter Smith did this year. Defense will also be a huge key with this team next year. DeAngelo will be traded with little return. Will King be able to step up and be the PP QB next year. Or will Chychrun be that guy at 16? Will Spinozzi progress to being a top D-man? How will Schlichting progress next season as well. I know this is a long shot, but could the Sting get Michael Downing to leave U of M next year or Joshua Jacobs to report instead of going to MSU? Also will Andrew Peski and Alex Black be at camp from 2013 draft.

I still think next season will be a tough year, 6-8th place finish, but the core of this team is looking good.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Probably in the minority here but I'd be inclined to keep De Angelo and try and work with thru his issues . It's less than an ideal situation, but he's the best player on the team and the team has a serious lack of talent. His trade value will have taken a huge hit so they would be better off keeping him even with the excess baggage.

BeeSting

Mar 16, 2014
Sting HAVE to draft Chychrun. They are lacking big time on the back end and give up way too many shots/goals. Bring him in and he is a lock for the next 2 years. Probably three I would think. DeAngelo SHOULD be traded in the off season but I don't see the return for him to be all that great given the last three months history. that being said he will be back with the Sting paired with Chychrun.. Tony is undoubtedly going to be the best offensive defensemen in the O again next year. Had he played all games this year he could've potentially hit 100 pts. give him someone to play with and he'll only get better. Move Chapman in the offseason. Sure he blocks shots & stands up for his teammates. but he got burned to many time this year. or taken stupid penalties that lead to PP goals. How can he be a leader when he is second in the O for PIMs? a leader cant be spending on average 3 minutes in the box every game. I could see them landing a late round pick for him or possibly a 19 year old D-man.

Also RUMOR has it. Sting have sold to the Podolinsky Family & Dave Hunter.
Nothing is in stone but just what I heard from a source who works in the Sting office.

take it with a grain of salt people. after all we are only talking about the Sting.

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
Sting HAVE to draft Chychrun. They are lacking big time on the back end and give up way too many shots/goals. Bring him in and he is a lock for the next 2 years. Probably three I would think. DeAngelo SHOULD be traded in the off season but I don't see the return for him to be all that great given the last three months history. that being said he will be back with the Sting paired with Chychrun.. Tony is undoubtedly going to be the best offensive defensemen in the O again next year. Had he played all games this year he could've potentially hit 100 pts. give him someone to play with and he'll only get better. Move Chapman in the offseason. Sure he blocks shots & stands up for his teammates. but he got burned to many time this year. or taken stupid penalties that lead to PP goals. How can he be a leader when he is second in the O for PIMs? a leader cant be spending on average 3 minutes in the box every game. I could see them landing a late round pick for him or possibly a 19 year old D-man.

Nothing is in stone but just what I heard from a source who works in the Sting office.

take it with a grain of salt people. after all we are only talking about the Sting.

I highly doubt anyone trades for Chapman. There are a lot better OA's out there. Don't want to waste an OA spot on a guy who has a huge heart but is very limited in skill.

Sting Fire

Aug 31, 2008
Hockeyland

Interesting, names I am hearing are Dustin McArthur and Glenn Dawson, hopefully we will know before April 5th draft

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010

Maybe you should look at +/- stat for Sting D-Man and rethink about getting burned. As for dumb penalties, yes at times he did, but think of all the ones DeAngelo or Latta took. Chapman will be a 3-4 D-man on the Sting next year, and IMO a good shot at having the C on his jersey. He plays hard every shift, physical, and has a great attitude, not like some of the Sting players from last season.

Sting Fire

Aug 31, 2008
Hockeyland
Maybe you should look at +/- stat for Sting D-Man and rethink about getting burned. As for dumb penalties, yes at times he did, but think of all the ones DeAngelo or Latta took. Chapman will be a 3-4 D-man on the Sting next year, and IMO a good shot at having the C on his jersey. He plays hard every shift, physical, and has a great attitude, not like some of the Sting players from last season.

Totally agree Chapman will be a Leader on this team next year, Sometimes it is not the natural talent but the heart and effort given,

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Got it on pretty good source that Sarnia will be taking Jakob Chychrun next Saturday. It's the right choice IMO. He's that much better

Canuck71*

Got it on pretty good source that Sarnia will be taking Jakob Chychrun next Saturday. It's the right choice IMO. He's that much better

Will he report is the biggest question. I hope our team knows 100% beforehand if he will or wont report.

massey

Sep 5, 2012

Heard from a reliable source it is Chychun.The Sting got things worked out so I am lead to believe.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Yes, by all accounts he WILL report.

Yep that's what I'm saying. Seems like a done deal.

Whether he reports or doesn't, you draft the best player for your needs… and we need everything…
While the first pick looks great for our future, we unfortunately do not have a high second round pick…London I think, so we have to wait a long time for more help… like first and then 35th… lots of action between…
When is the trade deadline? I think there are a number but not sure when the windows open and close… I think once teams make their picks, they can assess the dead weight and pass to us.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Whether he reports or doesn't, you draft the best player for your needs… and we need everything…
While the first pick looks great for our future, we unfortunately do not have a high second round pick…London I think, so we have to wait a long time for more help… like first and then 35th… lots of action between…
When is the trade deadline? I think there are a number but not sure when the windows open and close… I think once teams make their picks, they can assess the dead weight and pass to us.

Sarnia picks 1st, 38th 53rd, 55th, 61st, 101st, 116th, 121st, 141st, 161st, 181st, 201st, 221st, 241st, 261st, 281st

Those first 5 picks can land some good players...lots of quality through the 2nd-4th rounds

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Sarnia picks 1st, 38th 53rd, 55th, 61st, 101st, 116th, 121st, 141st, 161st, 181st, 201st, 221st, 241st, 261st, 281st

Those first 5 picks can land some good players...lots of quality through the 2nd-4th rounds

YB, how and who you see with the team next year? draft picks aside of course. Have you done or has anyone done more than one round of mock draft?

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
YB, how and who you see with the team next year? draft picks aside of course. Have you done or has anyone done more than one round of mock draft?

Probably easier to answer after next weekend's draft and even moreso after the NHL Draft

The import situation is a "wait and see" situation but I expect Goldobin to be taken in the opening round so that should at least buy Sarnia more time with him.

There's always a chance that DeAngelo gets traded but I'm not sure if that's a guarantee. I do see trades coming with no one really untouchable at this time.

As of right now, I would venture a guess at the following roster:

Goldobin
Korostelev
Kodola
Hodgson
Bushnell
Lindberg
Vendramin
Nikandrov
Brown
Renaud

In competition for final spots: White, Sproviero, Ciccarelli, Trottier

I expect Sarnia to draft AT LEAST one forward to compete from the 2014 draft.

Martin Frechette is a player who's got the compete that could surprise in camp.

DeAngelo
Schlichting
King
Core
Spinozzi
Chapman
Chychrun (assuming they draft him)

Alex Black (2013 6th round) should compete

As of today, Andrew Peski (2013 6th round) hasn't committed anywhere yet and remains an option if he chooses to attend camp. He'd be a big get.

Wouldn't Josh Jacobs (D) be nice? Hahaha Depending on who takes him in the draft, there is that potential option but I wouldn't bet on it.

Dupuis
Fazio

Nick Boka is committed to UofM, Luke Kunin (U of Wisconsin) and Brody Stevens don't appear to be choosing the OHL route.

Last edited:

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Probably easier to answer after next weekend's draft and even moreso after the NHL Draft

The import situation is a "wait and see" situation but I expect Goldobin to be taken in the opening round so that should at least buy Sarnia more time with him.

There's always a chance that DeAngelo gets traded but I'm not sure if that's a guarantee. I do see trades coming with no one really untouchable at this time.

As of right now, I would venture a guess at the following roster:

Goldobin
Korostelev
Kodola
Hodgson
Bushnell
Lindberg
Vendramin
Nikandrov
Brown
Renaud

In competition for final spots: White, Sproviero, Ciccarelli, Trottier

I expect Sarnia to draft AT LEAST one forward to compete from the 2014 draft.

Martin Frechette is a player who's got the compete that could surprise in camp.

DeAngelo
Schlichting
King
Core
Chapman
Chychrun (assuming they draft him)

Alex Black (2013 6th round) should compete

As of today, Andrew Peski (2013 6th round) hasn't committed anywhere yet and remains an option if he chooses to attend camp. He'd be a big get.

Wouldn't Josh Jacobs (D) be nice? Hahaha Depending on who takes him in the draft, there is that potential option but I wouldn't bet on it.

Dupuis
Fazio

Nick Boka is committed to UofM, Luke Kunin (U of Wisconsin) and Brody Stevens don't appear to be choosing the OHL route.

Dean, was Spinozzi just missed or do you not see him on the team next year?

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
The Sting do have 5 picks of the top 61 and hopefully it goes something like this:

1. Jakob Chychurn (LD)
38. Cameron Morrison (LW)
53. Brady Pataki(RW)
55. Boris Katchouk (LW)
61. Connor Hall (LD)

I'm not saying all these players will be still on the board by the time the Sting draft, but I would be extremely happy if they were. There is a lot of talent out there for the first 5 picks the Sting have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad