*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
some of the cuts were very obvious but surprised actually a few of the cuts did not stay… guess no threat to the vets… corrigan here or gone… thought luca was ok and worth keeping an eye…think the goaltending was a given. all we need is an OA forward…

Very surprised that both Belilse and Campbell went in the first set of cuts. Both looked like they deserved a longer look. Looks like O'Donnell might be the other 98 to make the team. Would also expect some of these kids to be with the Legionaires.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think the Sting are absolutely going to move Goldobin. Kodola will be here for at least another year and Goldobin's value is much, much higher in a trade. It will likely take a minimum of 3 picks and a roster player to make the deal happen, but that could change depending on what Goldobin indicates his desires are if he doesn't crack San Jose's roster.

What would the Sting be looking for in terms of a roster player? I don't know their roster well but I don't see them taking on any more defenseman. Perhaps a '96 or '97 forward? Erie could send them a 2015 2nd, 2016 2nd, 2016 3rd. They have a good amount of '97 forwards signed Sarnia may find valuable.

NewStingfan

Jun 3, 2011
Very surprised that both Belilse and Campbell went in the first set of cuts. Both looked like they deserved a longer look. Looks like O'Donnell might be the other 98 to make the team. Would also expect some of these kids to be with the Legionaires.

Belisle decided to go home on his own. He has a place to play in Thunderbay. Campbell is also playing Junior B closer to home. Both these kids played very well and will be a big part of the Sting going ahead. It was nice seeing drafted players that can actually play!

Sempron

May 12, 2010
i heard rumour at camp that he might not be coming back. dont know if that means he cracks sj or if that means he wants to stay in russia and play khl or what. would be a huge hole to fill. :help:

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Belisle decided to go home on his own. He has a place to play in Thunderbay. Campbell is also playing Junior B closer to home. Both these kids played very well and will be a big part of the Sting going ahead. It was nice seeing drafted players that can actually play!

Good to hear as they both appeared that they could play in the league now. I agree that this 98 draft class looks like it could be the best one in many, many years, and one that the team could be built around in the future.

I think the team should be competitive this year as there appears to be a lot of offensive talent. Should be able to make the playoffs. Not sure how good they will be defensively though. That will need a lot of work. I expect a lot of goals against. Team could also use some grit so those types of players should be given precedence when they are picking the team IMO.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
i heard rumour at camp that he might not be coming back. dont know if that means he cracks sj or if that means he wants to stay in russia and play khl or what. would be a huge hole to fill. :help:

Please,no way in the world goldobin makes the SJ team.He hasnt made a check in the OHL and no defence at all.He got introduced to his goalie after the season because he never made it back to his own end

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Please,no way in the world goldobin makes the SJ team.He hasnt made a check in the OHL and no defence at all.He got introduced to his goalie after the season because he never made it back to his own end

I am 99% positive Goldobin will not be back. No SJ, No Sarnia. Back to Mother Russian to make some rubbles.
Speaking of Erie, ship Kodola. He did nothing so far this camp… I had to ask someone if he even dressed….
Ohhhh those russians.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I am 99% positive Goldobin will not be back. No SJ, No Sarnia. Back to Mother Russian to make some rubbles.
Speaking of Erie, ship Kodola. He did nothing so far this camp… I had to ask someone if he even dressed….
Ohhhh those russians.

But if he's done nothing, why would Erie want him? They have plenty of good bottom six forwards, and a lot of youth that needs playing time. What they lack is a good top six winger. If he were returned to Sarnia I could see Erie being interested in trading for him. Though I can also understand why Sarnia fans would rather keep him.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
But if he's done nothing, why would Erie want him? They have plenty of good bottom six forwards, and a lot of youth that needs playing time. What they lack is a good top six winger. If he were returned to Sarnia I could see Erie being interested in trading for him. Though I can also understand why Sarnia fans would rather keep him.

Highly unlikely that Goldobin will be back in the O as he is an Import and can play in the AHL this year. As far as Kodola goes I saw the Black and White game and thought he looked pretty good. Will be a top 6 forward this year.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Highly unlikely that Goldobin will be back in the O as he is an Import and can play in the AHL this year. As far as Kodola goes I saw the Black and White game and thought he looked pretty good. Will be a top 6 forward this year.

That's not how the rule works. Goldobin was drafted from the CHL and thus will not be eligible for the AHL until next season. It's OHL or NHL for him this year (or the KHL?)

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
That's not how the rule works. Goldobin was drafted from the CHL and thus will not be eligible for the AHL until next season. It's OHL or NHL for him this year (or the KHL?)

You are correct. The CHL-NHL agreement excludes players drafted out of the CHL from playing in any certified non-NHL league other than the CHL, assuming said draftee is signed. Under the (post-lockout) new CBA and new NHL-KHL MOU, I don't believe there is a precedent for a signed draftee out of the CHL fleeing for the KHL. However, the CHL-NHL agreement and NHL-KHL MOU don't apply to unsigned draftees out of the CHL such as Goldobin. Unsigned draftees have fled to Europe (i.e. Martin Reway).

Article 8.6 of the CBA slides said player's ELC by 2 years in such a scenario:

"8.6 (b) Drafted Players who Leave the Major Juniors prior to age 20. Notwithstanding any provision of subsection (a) to the contrary, Clubs shall have additional rights set forth in subsections (i), (ii) and (iii) below with respect to Players who either: (i) were drafted while playing in the Major Juniors or (ii) other than college players described in Section © below or Players drafted from a club outside North America described in Section (d) below, play in the Juniors during the period of time that a Club holds their exclusive negotiating rights and, in either case, cease to play in the Juniors and play in a league other than Juniors prior to age 20.

(ii) If a Player who is drafted as an 18-year-old ceases to play in the Juniors in the second League Year after he has been drafted and the Club has tendered to such Player a Bona Fide Offer pursuant to 8.6(a)(ii), his drafting Club shall have the exclusive right of negotiation for his services until the fourth June 1 following his initial selection in the Entry Draft."

Verbatim, if San Jose inks Goldobin, it's San Jose or CHL. It's not impossible for Goldobin to go KHL, but there are a plethora of hoops (release, transfer, loan) and he'd set a precedent for signed draftees out of the CHL, under the new agreement/CBA/MOU (Yakupov was under previous incarnations). If San Jose fails to sign Goldobin to an ELC, KHL is fair game. Who knows, it's possible that carrot's driving Goldobin's party to stall, but I'm baselessly speculating.

I'd expect a poster who coined me as "clueless" to be well-versed here (not directed at you). ;)

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
New material needed

perk of owning an OHL team i guess. :nod:

I don't understand why this continues to come up----it is what it is and isn't going to change. You are talking about a kid who works his ass off and gives more effort than many others on team----his limited fourth line ice time( if he is even in the lineup) will really not equate to any more wins or losses.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
I don't understand why this continues to come up----it is what it is and isn't going to change. You are talking about a kid who works his ass off and gives more effort than many others on team----his limited fourth line ice time( if he is even in the lineup) will really not equate to any more wins or losses.

I agree . It would be much better for the organization going forward to develop one of the 97's or 98's in that fourth line slot but it's never going to happen so there's no sense in talking about it. It must be hard on the kid .

EasternOntario Fan : I thought Renaud has definitely looked better so far in the scrimmages and in the Black and White game. Looks like he is trying to be more physical. Could see him on the third line. White has also looked impessive at times in camp. Will see how these guys do in the game against Saginaw.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
I agree . It would be much better for the organization going forward to develop one of the 97's or 98's in that fourth line slot but it's never going to happen so there's no sense in talking about it. It must be hard on the kid .

EasternOntario Fan : I thought Renaud has definitely looked better so far in the scrimmages and in the Black and White game. Looks like he is trying to be more physical. Could see him on the third line. White has also looked impessive at times in camp. Will see how these guys do in the game against Saginaw.

Thank you very much for the info, certainly appreciate it.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Wouldn't surprise me to see Brad Belisle make this team, big day for him. Kodola has come in MUCH BIGGER, based on the premise that he'll be here for 2 more years as opposed to Goldy's 1 more year, I'm guessing Goldy is traded.

Zacha - Kodola - Hodgson

Brown - Nikandrov - Korostelev

Lindberg - Kyrou - Bushnell

Belisle - White - Ciccarelli

Spinozzi - DeAngelo

Chychrun - Chapman

Schlichting - Black

ex: King , Core, Renaud

I think that this will be pretty close to what is the lineup might look like come opening day , assuming Goldobin isn't back. Obviously Belisle has gone back to Thunder Bay so he won't be in the mix. Also, they've been using Zacha at centre so that might change the positions listed might change a bit. I could also see Renaud on the third line .

The 5-6 positions on defence should be a real battle with King, Core, Schlichting and Black all battling it out for the 5, 6 and 7 spots. Black might have an inside track on one of the jobs as he is grittier than the rest IMO. I'd hope they'd be able to do a deal with the Legionaires to keep a kid like O'Donnell and maybe another player close to the team.

One player I've been very impressed with is Kyrou . He looked very good again today in the win against Saginaw. Don't know how he slipped to 38th in the draft but he appears to have first round talent. Nice pickup by Sinclair.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I think that this will be pretty close to what is the lineup might look like come opening day , assuming Goldobin isn't back. Obviously Belisle has gone back to Thunder Bay so he won't be in the mix. Also, they've been using Zacha at centre so that might change the positions listed might change a bit. I could also see Renaud on the third line .

The 5-6 positions on defence should be a real battle with King, Core, Schlichting and Black all battling it out for the 5, 6 and 7 spots. Black might have an inside track on one of the jobs as he is grittier than the rest IMO. I'd hope they'd be able to do a deal with the Legionaires to keep a kid like O'Donnell and maybe another player close to the team.

One player I've been very impressed with is Kyrou . He looked very good again today in the win against Saginaw. Don't know how he slipped to 38th in the draft but he appears to have first round talent. Nice pickup by Sinclair.

Kyrou missed a lot of time with injury. Didn't really deserve to slip because of that but it happens. I know we had him rated much higher than where he went. He's one of the most skilled players in the draft. Real strong hockey sense. Really good get for the Sting

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Can someone attending the Sting training camp report on what type of camp has the Soo's Ryan Vendramin had?

thanks

Shaun Bisson

Dec 3, 2012
Sarnia
Can someone attending the Sting training camp report on what type of camp has the Soo's Ryan Vendramin had?

thanks

Aside from his goal today he hasn't had the greatest of camp. Not showing enough versatility to really crack the team right out of camp. He's got a big body and needs to use it a little bit more in my opinion.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Hey guys, San Jose fan here. Keeping Sarnia's best interest in mind, I think they'd rather trade Goldobin over Kodola, taking into account the amount of time the former would spend in the OHL over the latter. Can someone tell me what are the chances, if gold goblin comes back, that he is traded. Also can someone with a great amount of knowledge of the OHL tell me that if he was to get traded, would he go to one of either Guelph or London? Thanks :yo:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys, San Jose fan here. Keeping Sarnia's best interest in mind, I think they'd rather trade Goldobin over Kodola, taking into account the amount of time the former would spend in the OHL over the latter. Can someone tell me what are the chances, if gold goblin comes back, that he is traded. Also can someone with a great amount of knowledge of the OHL tell me that if he was to get traded, would he go to one of either Guelph or London? Thanks :yo:

I'm not a Sarnia fan, but I'd say Goldobin is probably the more likely to be traded. Though it depends on how the Sarnia brass feels. But seeing as Sarnia is probably leaning towards contending next season, not this, they'd probably be better off keeping Kodola over Goldobin since this is Goldobin's last season in the O.

No, he wouldn't go to either Guelph or London. Both have two imports already (London has three if Z gets sent back).

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario

I feel fairly confident that the sting too would rather trade Goldobin over Kodola. As for any potential destination you can safely rule out both London and Guelph as Guelph has 2 solid imports already and London will be in the situation Sarnia is in with 1 too many should Zadorov be returned. The tricky part of trading Goldy is that you need a team with an import slot open AND a team going for it since he won't be in the league long term. That makes Erie the most likely destination in my mind but that's just me spitballing.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Liked how our goaltending looked today.Both made some awesome saves.Defence should look pretty good when the reg's get back.Schlichting should be odd man out.We are missing that natural goal scorer on forward.Looking for Korostelev to fill that role. Kyrou impressed me along with Hodgson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad