Speculation: Official Rumours/Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2020-21 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
There is no reason to believe that he won't sign with us and we can handle it then. I get the fear of Bob, but even Carey Price was not ready to step in at 21-22 as the full-time guy. In some ways, we give him a softe option.

Eh, I'm fine with the tier below Stutzle given needs and development time.
I’m sure Zito will guarantee him a spot in the nhl as soon as he can which is super attractive to a young guy like Spencer. Who do you classify a tier below him?

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
There is no reason to believe that he won't sign with us and we can handle it then. I get the fear of Bob, but even Carey Price was not ready to step in at 21-22 as the full-time guy. In some ways, we give him a softe option.

Eh, I'm fine with the tier below Stutzle given needs and development time.
So many teams have seen playoff success with their backup goalie too, so a confident enough youngster shouldn't fear Bob.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’m sure Zito will guarantee him a spot in the nhl as soon as he can which is super attractive to a young guy like Spencer. Who do you classify a tier below him?
In this draft, I'd heavily consider trading Spencer for Sanderson or Drysdale at D or Perfetti, Rossi or Lundell.

Knight is a great prospect and I am super happy to have him in the system, but I do recognize that we could use help sooner than his expected arrival time. (I also think Askarov could be available at the 12th....)

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
He could hit 50pts with ample PP time but he's done what they asked of him, to add weight/muscle and be more defensively aware. If he shits the bed this year or crack a spot on camp with the door wide open then by all means he can go.
How exactly is he more defensively aware? Dryden Hunt outplayed him in almost every facet last season in Springfield.

Also, Borgstrom led his LEAGUE in goals and points back in college. He wasn't drafted to be a 3rd line shut down center. He was drafted to be a scoring line center with size and skill.

Reactions: I am not exposed

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
But that’s still amazing and fills a hole for us.
Yep. Especially given that he will be cost controlled and especially valuable given Bob's contract. If it wasn't for Covid, most likely the average goalie pairing would been 13M in a few years and we would have hit it with Bob/Knight.

Still, an asset that could be tradable if it helps us.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Goalies really aren't as tricky or voodoo as people keep saying. It's just that sometimes low drafted or undrafted goalies can turn in elite performances and there have been some high profile busts.

But look at Knight within the context of his performances to date before and after the draft, he's one of the best goalie prospects out there at a critical position. No way I trade him unless it's for a top tier center prospect like the no 2/3 pick in this draft.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How exactly is he more defensively aware? Dryden Hunt outplayed him in almost every facet last season in Springfield.

Also, Borgstrom led his LEAGUE in goals and points back in college. He wasn't drafted to be a 3rd line shut down center. He was drafted to be a scoring line center with size and skill.

He was matched up against opponents top lines and still a + player on a team that was average, only 5 penalties so he wasn't struggling by being lazy (hooking/tripping).

Had a SHG and still had 5 PPGs.
I know you don't like him but he isnt trash :laugh:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Goalies really aren't as tricky or voodoo as people keep saying. It's just that sometimes low drafted or undrafted goalies can turn in elite performances and there have been some high profile busts.

But look at Knight within the context of his performances to date before and after the draft, he's one of the best goalie prospects out there at a critical position. No way I trade him unless it's for a top tier center prospect like the no 2/3 pick in this draft.
Same way I see it.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Carey Price hit is maximum potential; Knight might not. Most likely he becomes a top 10-15 starter but not atop 5 starter....

How you can tell yet?? Did you know where and how Grubauer startet his Career and how it went? I saw him 07-08 playing he was young, but no one expected him end up as a Top 10 Goalie in the NHL.
You cant tell and say Goalie development. Sometimes a single Season can flip a Goalie from Top to elite and also in the other direction. You cant say upfront this will happen, sure the current Situation and some Leagues interrupted the Season might hinder the development. But also possible not if the theoretical part what can be better and video analysis and offseason work, hit.

Monty had also talent to be a NHL Back UP. After some Games and some Season it was clear he will not have a quick development and he has some Issue (Rebound controll what was never NHL Level).
We get Prospect Outside Florida and min. 1 Hit direct in as one in my sight best Addition to the Team. For my sight if he can hold this Level or might get even better, Driedger had his Job aslong we need. Aslong he can bring in what we saw from him this Season. Got a good Season and work on it.

Look like Markstrom development late Bloomer. In my Point of View Goalies are the most hard predicted Player to view. Success win rate, Goals against, is in my sight one of the biggest Parts for the development. And some Goalies have it given and they been great from a special Year till the end of their Career.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
How you can tell yet?? Did you know where and how Grubauer startet his Career and how it went? I saw him 07-08 playing he was young, but no one expected him end up as a Top 10 Goalie in the NHL.
You cant tell and say Goalie development. Sometimes a single Season can flip a Goalie from Top to elite and also in the other direction. You cant say upfront this will happen, sure the current Situation and some Leagues interrupted the Season might hinder the development. But also possible not if the theoretical part what can be better and video analysis and offseason work, hit.

Monty had also talent to be a NHL Back UP. After some Games and some Season it was clear he will not have a quick development and he has some Issue (Rebound controll what was never NHL Level).
We get Prospect Outside Florida and min. 1 Hit direct in as one in my sight best Addition to the Team. For my sight if he can hold this Level or might get even better, Driedger had his Job aslong we need. Aslong he can bring in what we saw from him this Season. Got a good Season and work on it.

Look like Markstrom development late Bloomer. In my Point of View Goalies are the most hard predicted Player to view. Success win rate, Goals against, is in my sight one of the biggest Parts for the development. And some Goalies have it given and they been great from a special Year till the end of their Career.
I'm arguing probabilistically: Knight can turn into many different things. Looking at comparables (either top 15 drafted goalies or similarly dominant US team goalies), it is not guaranteed :)

I have no idea what outcome he will be, but we do have a sense of the range of outcomes :)

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I'm arguing probabilistically: Knight can turn into many different things. Looking at comparables (either top 15 drafted goalies or similarly dominant US team goalies), it is not guaranteed :)

I have no idea what outcome he will be, but we do have a sense of the range of outcomes :)

But you cant say Knight might not, without seeing him play a single Season or a single Professional Game playing. I also could also say, Seider will be not a Top Defender for Detroit. Beside Injuries thazt can happen, he will be. The Panthers will also do anything that Knight get his best possible outcome. Special when Zito is strong behind get the best out, of what you Draft.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
But you cant say Knight might not, without seeing him play a single Season or a single Professional Game playing. I also could also say, Seider will be not a Top Defender for Detroit. Beside Injuries thazt can happen, he will be. The Panthers will also do anything that Knight get his best possible outcome. Special when Zito is strong behind get the best out, of what you Draft.
I did not say will not, I said he is more likely to be 5-15 than 1-5 :)

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I don't disagree with this, but a goalie prospect that has a high degree of probability to be a 5-15 top goalie is SUPER valuable. A good competitive team doesn't need a top-5 elite goalie, they just need consistent above average performance - like Price vs. MAF. If we can get that with Knight, then I am very happy.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
You guys should join Panthers fan facebook groups. It is full of clueless people that drive you insane but some reason you still cant leave and wanna read there insane ideas. It's like a car crash you just gotta look. For example someone today suggested we should sign Markstrom ;)

After that place you value this place even more

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don't disagree with this, but a goalie prospect that has a high degree of probability to be a 5-15 top goalie is SUPER valuable. A good competitive team doesn't need a top-5 elite goalie, they just need consistent above average performance - like Price vs. MAF. If we can get that with Knight, then I am very happy.
Sure. I mean I haven't computed the historical distribution, but it is likely. I agree especially with the low cost contract he is worth a lot

Still the point is timing and team needs. I'm more than happy keeping him, but we have other holes that if we could fill well, I'd consider it.

EDIT: One amazingly disjoint thought for us: timing also matters a lot and can be a problem. Markstrom is now living up to his potential, six years after we jettisoned him. I'm talking 5-15 as his peak :)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You guys should join Panthers fan facebook groups. It is full of clueless people that drive you insane but some reason you still cant leave and wanna read there insane ideas. It's like a car crash you just gotta look. For example someone today suggested we should sign Markstrom ;)

After that place you value this place even more
Or alternatively read the average Canadian board and you value this place more ;)

For the love of G*d, there are fans that are absolutely delusional. (Laine is worth Ekblad, Gaudreau is worth Ekblad, Nylander is worth Ekblad, Package of Edm futures is worth Ekblad, Boeser is worth Ekblad...)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Friedmans 31 thoughts today:

31 Thoughts: With Stanley Cup awarded, NHL faces new questions - Sportsnet.ca

Hornqvist is one of Florida assistant GM Paul Fenton’s best draft picks, and it wasn’t a surprise Fenton would go after the winger. I wonder if there’s a Ryan Donato/Henrik Borgstrom-style swap in the future. The former is another Fenton favourite, while the latter could use a change of scenery.

This is purely me thinking out loud: if, sometime down the road, there’s any doubt about Florida’s direction, could Joel Quenneville end up in Seattle? There’s no evidence of any issues with the Panthers, but he was hired by a different GM and who knows how everyone feels next summer.
Also:

17. Washington is trying to move money to keep Brenden Dillon.
Caps fans speculated that this could be Kempny, he was apparently recovering from injuries and didn't play as well this past season. Q coached him in Chicago, 2.5M per for two years left (4M actual money).

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Goalies and goalie prospects never get high returns. No point in trading him. Yeah goalie development is a wild card and no one knows truly how he’ll turn out. But it’s best to keep him. We won’t return a bonafide 2C or a top-4 D.

I’m sure the blues will try once again to get AP, but if they don’t in the coming several days then maybe they’ll be open to trading his rights just before ufa starts

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Also:

Caps fans speculated that this could be Kempny, he was apparently recovering from injuries and didn't play as well this past season. Q coached him in Chicago, 2.5M per for two years left (4M actual money).
Pretty sure Kempny lived in Q's dog-house...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad