Speculation: Official Rumours/Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2020-21 edition, Part II

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
For Seth Jones, I'd offer:
  • 2021 1st Rounder
  • Serron Noel
  • Whichever one of our D prospects they want
  • Acciari and/or Nutivaara
Maybe that gets it, but it probably doesn't. Although I doubt that anybody is gonna be breaking the bank for Jones. Especially since CBJ has more than enough wings and really needs a center. Teams don't give up top-6 upside centers for rental players, even if there's a high chance they re-sign.

Weegar - Ekblad
Forsling - Jones
Gudas/Kiersted - Gudas/Stralman

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
For Seth Jones, I'd offer:
  • 2021 1st Rounder
  • Serron Noel
  • Whichever one of our D prospects they want
  • Acciari and/or Nutivaara
Maybe that gets it, but it probably doesn't. Although I doubt that anybody is gonna be breaking the bank for Jones. Especially since CBJ has more than enough wings and really needs a center. Teams don't give up top-6 upside centers for rental players, even if there's a high chance they re-sign.

Weegar - Ekblad
Forsling - Jones
Gudas/Kiersted - Gudas/Stralman

Lumbus would accept Lundell + Vatrano + Ludvig + 2021 1st + 2022 2nd.

Weegar-Ek pairing worked well as any talented players can but it wasn't so smooth due to both being righties. Plus I don't see why they wouldn't leave an opportunity for Gildon since iirc he was one of the best dmen in the AHL albeit in a shortened season.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Lumbus would accept Lundell + Vatrano + Ludvig + 2021 1st + 2022 2nd.

Weegar-Ek pairing worked well as any talented players can but it wasn't so smooth due to both being righties. Plus I don't see why they wouldn't leave an opportunity for Gildon since iirc he was one of the best dmen in the AHL albeit in a shortened season.

Bro, Cobumble isn't getting a 1st, a 2nd, a blue chip prospect, another prospect, and a middle 6 winger for a single year of a 1D.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Bro, Cobumble isn't getting a 1st, a 2nd, a blue chip prospect, another prospect, and a middle 6 winger for a single year of a 1D.

Of course they are because this is Jarmo's only decent shot to kickstart their rebuilding process. Their entire prospect pool is in the dog shit category and he won't make it to oversee that rebuilding process if he doesn't recoup their losses over the past few years. You see first rounders getting traded for guys like Goodrow and Coleman so those aren't worth much for the team who really wants Jones in their lineup. Essentially it's Lundell for Jones.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Of course they are because this is Jarmo's only decent shot to kickstart their rebuilding process. Their entire prospect pool is in the dog shit category and he won't make it to oversee that rebuilding process if he doesn't recoup their losses over the past few years. You see first rounders getting traded for guys like Goodrow and Coleman so those aren't worth much for the team who really wants Jones in their lineup. Essentially it's Lundell for Jones.
If Jarmo is holding out for a 1st he just may find himself in a Bob/Panarin situation once again where teams will just wait and sign him as a UFA.

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
If Jarmo is holding out for a 1st he just may find himself in a Bob/Panarin situation once again where teams will just wait and sign him as a UFA.

I think this is a different situation since Jones has openly said in advance that he won't be signing with Lumbus whereas Bob and Bread both withheld that info and played that "let's see what's gonna happen"-game. This gives Jarmo a full year to find a team for Jones where he would sign a long term contract extension after the current contract. Thus Jarmo and Jones are cooperating on this where as guys like Bread, Bob, PLD and Tavares are acting coy about their future endeavors.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I think this is a different situation since Jones has openly said in advance that he won't be signing with Lumbus whereas Bob and Bread both withheld that info and played that "let's see what's gonna happen"-game. This gives Jarmo a full year to find a team for Jones where he would sign a long term contract extension after the current contract. Thus Jarmo and Jones are cooperating on this where as guys like Bread, Bob, PLD and Tavares are acting coy about their future endeavors.

i found his comments a little confusing. or perhaps i didn't read all of the latest comments. it sounds like he's ruled out resigning this off-season but not resigning with ... cobumblus (? lol) in FA.

perhaps this is some posturing to make sure he gets what he'd be worth (or close)?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
In a salary cap world, it’s a bit tough for the superstars to know how much they should ask for, because the money they receive will be in competition with the money the team will have to put together a Stanley Cup contender.

I actually expect that a SC means more to Barkov than being the highest paid. In fact, I think he’d be uncomfortable being highest paid. Bobrovsky would have been wise to have the same attitude.

Then again, I’m not faced with the prospect of having to choose between 8.5M and 10M per year for the next 7 years, so maybe I just don’t understand.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Jarmo has no leverage here. That's why they are trading early.

They won't be able to ask for a lot, they will be left taking the best given to them.

When a player says they are walking, the team loses their leverage. Jones saying this completely f***ed them

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
Jones has been trending down for a while. Plays on a bad team sure but still hasn't been good. The only way this team competes the next few years with the Bobrovsky/Yandle/Stralman salary anchors around its neck are if their home-grown prospects like Gildon/Kolyachonok/Ludvig can provide good bottom pairing depth for cheap. If I'm the front office, I spend my time and energy trying to convince Yandle that Seattle would be crazy to take his contract so he can safely waive to let them protect Forsling instead.

Reactions: Haj and PSLguy

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Jones has been trending down for a while. Plays on a bad team sure but still hasn't been good. The only way this team competes the next few years with the Bobrovsky/Yandle/Stralman salary anchors around its neck are if their home-grown prospects like Gildon/Kolyachonok/Ludvig can provide good bottom pairing depth for cheap. If I'm the front office, I spend my time and energy trying to convince Yandle that Seattle would be crazy to take his contract so he can safely waive to let them protect Forsling instead.

He had a poor year. As did Columbus.

He was getting overrated on these boards about a year or so ago when people were saying he is a top 3 defenseman etc. But he's still an excellent player who is young enough to bounce back.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
How would they fit Malkin in under the cap?

The most obvious change would be trading the enigmatic Malkin, who is entering a walk year. In the past couple of years, there have been numerous rumors that Malkin would waive his no-movement clause to go to the Florida Panthers. According to one NHL source with direct knowledge of the situation, those rumors could become a reality.

OTR: Will Panthers Pursue Malkin? Eichel NHL Trade Value | FHN+

Reactions: harv33173

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL

The most obvious change would be trading the enigmatic Malkin, who is entering a walk year. In the past couple of years, there have been numerous rumors that Malkin would waive his no-movement clause to go to the Florida Panthers. According to one NHL source with direct knowledge of the situation, those rumors could become a reality.

The obvious answer is to ask for 50% retention... but I don't see why we need another center, unless we want to move Bennett to the wing
But that would probably bring Bennett back to being his old Calgary self buried in the bottom 6 and unable to score points

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jarmo has no leverage here. That's why they are trading early.

They won't be able to ask for a lot, they will be left taking the best given to them.

When a player says they are walking, the team loses their leverage. Jones saying this completely f***ed them

They lose value but they won’t lose all the leverage.

They retain 50 and trade Jones at 2.7M.
Want to guess how many teams will be calling?

Honestly in 2-3 years time this is probably seen as a good thing. Forces them to build a new core, the current has major holes in it.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

It wouldn't make any sense for the Penguins to trade Malkin. They will go for it next year, and the summer 2022 (when Malkin, Letang, Rust, and Carter hit UFA) will be when they decide to either start a hard rebuild or go through a last gasp retool.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2