Official Prudential Center, surrounding area and season ticket thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Good to hear.

Too bad they missed out on the end of season games.

If they streamed an Albany game I'd go watch it there.

I'll try to pop in for lunch soon.

We are now 4 years deep in a playoff drought, once we finally get our footing the surroundings will really begin to blossom.

Edit: The idea of a local streaming an AHL playoff game is quite intriguing. Wouldn't pay $20 and travel an hour to go watch in a bar, but I could propose the idea to a local ice rink.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm writing about this for a project in my class, but could someone help clear me up on the timeline of how the Prudential Center got built in Newark. I'm having trouble finding articles online about it.

Was the plan for the arena already underway prior to Vanderbeek becoming owner or was Vanderbeek the driving force behind the arena getting planned/finished?

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
I'm writing about this for a project in my class, but could someone help clear me up on the timeline of how the Prudential Center got built in Newark. I'm having trouble finding articles online about it.

Was the plan for the arena already underway prior to Vanderbeek becoming owner or was Vanderbeek the driving force behind the arena getting planned/finished?

Wikipedia is your friend my friend.. Lots of information on the history, and links to sources you can actually cite.. Too lazy to quote from there but check her out
Edit: looks like Newark was planning an arena in 2002, while Vanderbeek bought the team in 2004. There is a link to a NY times article after wiki discloses that fact. That article is probably what you're looking for

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
One of the original ideas was to build an arena in Hoboken and that is where the talks of an arena elsewhere began before sputtering off for a couple years until the Newark idea came to lfie. There used to be a rendering available of the plan online but I can't find it any longer. Here are a few articles from the late 90s regarding the earlier talks of moving out of the meadowlands to elsewhere in NJ.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-12-21/sports/9712210043_1_devils-owner-new-arena-continental-airlines-arena

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/03/12/nyregion/devils-owner-offers-plan-for-arena-in-hoboken.html

http://articles.philly.com/1997-12-20/sports/25556481_1_devils-owner-hoboken-mayor-anthony-russo-new-jersey-sports

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/hoboken-bust-hell-bent-mcmullen-takes-waterfront-gamble-devils-article-1.794777

http://betterwaterfront.org/mcmullen-sells-devils-abandoning-plans-for-hoboken-arena/

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Wikipedia is your friend my friend.. Lots of information on the history, and links to sources you can actually cite.. Too lazy to quote from there but check her out
Edit: looks like Newark was planning an arena in 2002, while Vanderbeek bought the team in 2004. There is a link to a NY times article after wiki discloses that fact. That article is probably what you're looking for

I did, the problem was I found that Vanderbeek was a big proponent of it, but I didn't find out if he pushed for it hard prior to becoming majority owner. Like if the reason for it being in the planning stages was because of him or it was planned before him.

One of the original ideas was to build an arena in Hoboken and that is where the talks of an arena elsewhere began before sputtering off for a couple years until the Newark idea came to lfie. There used to be a rendering available of the plan online but I can't find it any longer. Here are a few articles from the late 90s regarding the earlier talks of moving out of the meadowlands to elsewhere in NJ.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-12-21/sports/9712210043_1_devils-owner-new-arena-continental-airlines-arena

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/03/12/nyregion/devils-owner-offers-plan-for-arena-in-hoboken.html

http://articles.philly.com/1997-12-20/sports/25556481_1_devils-owner-hoboken-mayor-anthony-russo-new-jersey-sports

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/hoboken-bust-hell-bent-mcmullen-takes-waterfront-gamble-devils-article-1.794777

http://betterwaterfront.org/mcmullen-sells-devils-abandoning-plans-for-hoboken-arena/

I never really knew about this honestly. The timeline of events makes a lot more sense now, thanks.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey

If you want, PM me your email and I will send you some stuff that I have. The short version is McMullen was pushing hard for Hoboken in the late 90s. Ironically, the Nets were looking at Newark around the same time. One of the many problems for McMullen is that Hoboken did not want an arena there, and ultimately nothing came of it.

Partially due to frustration from this failure, McMullen sold to YankeeNets in 2000 and Newark became the primary objective for both teams. A few more years of dithering and failing to secure state funding passed, ultimately costing New Jersey the Nets when they were bought by Ratner in 2004. Vanderbeek of course bought the Devils (with pro-Newark Ray Chambers in the shadows) and pursued Newark until a deal was signed in early 2005.

Fortuitously, the Port Authority owed Newark a couple hundred million dollars around this time which was used to fund the city's portion of the arena. The deal almost collapsed on a few occasions until early 2006 when Seton Hall law school's then dean Patrick Hobbs (now the Rutgers AD) smoothed things over between the city and the team.

On the one hand, there are so many things that could have cut right and led to both teams still being in New Jersey. Missed opportunities that boggle the mind now. On the other hand, we are extremely fortunate to have the Devils in a state of the art arena because it came perilously close to falling through (and likely would have been swept away altogether with the Great Recession) several times.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
On a sort of related note, ESPN's attendance tracker finally has the Rock updated to the 16,514 capacity as of the 2015-2016 season.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
On a sort of related note, ESPN's attendance tracker finally has the Rock updated to the 16,514 capacity as of the 2015-2016 season.

Yup some guy who posts here knows a person at ESPN and got it updated. Though interestingly enough, they only updated it for the hockey attendance tracker and not for the arena's page on their website: http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stadium/_/name/nj/new-jersey-devils

Hopefully that doesn't result in it getting changed back down the road..

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
The Halal Guys coming to Newark:
http://www.placenj.com/2016/03/the-halal-guys-plans-to-open-in-newark.html

The East Brunswick one on 18 opens next weekend too. Love these guys on 53rd in 6th in the city.

Oh wow, I had only heard of the East Brunswick location. Yup these guys are awesome! They will make a killing off the students and lunch crowd.

And for anyone who hasn't ventured down that strip of Halsey, it looks really nice! And it only takes like a 5 minute walk from the arena. There's now an art gallery, a Jimmy John's, The Green Chickpea (Isreali food served Chipotle-style), ArtKitchen (bakery/cafe), and 27 Mix (cool little bar/restaurant with patio out back).

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
If you want, PM me your email and I will send you some stuff that I have. The short version is McMullen was pushing hard for Hoboken in the late 90s. Ironically, the Nets were looking at Newark around the same time. One of the many problems for McMullen is that Hoboken did not want an arena there, and ultimately nothing came of it.

Partially due to frustration from this failure, McMullen sold to YankeeNets in 2000 and Newark became the primary objective for both teams. A few more years of dithering and failing to secure state funding passed, ultimately costing New Jersey the Nets when they were bought by Ratner in 2004. Vanderbeek of course bought the Devils (with pro-Newark Ray Chambers in the shadows) and pursued Newark until a deal was signed in early 2005.

Fortuitously, the Port Authority owed Newark a couple hundred million dollars around this time which was used to fund the city's portion of the arena. The deal almost collapsed on a few occasions until early 2006 when Seton Hall law school's then dean Patrick Hobbs (now the Rutgers AD) smoothed things over between the city and the team.

"Fortuitous" is a good word choice here. In an unbelievable coincidence, shortly after the NJ Legislature refused to approve $165 million of State money for the arena, the Port Authority agreed to settle a dispute with the City over back (and future) rent of the Newark Marine Terminal for ... $165 million! The City's suit, which had been going on for several years, had initially asked for about $1,000,000,000. Another "ironic" element was that, while Port Authority rental payments are an item of general budget revenue to the City, the settlement money was restricted to "economic development", thereby legally preventing the use of any of this money for schools, general infrastructure, police/fire, etc.

The City and its financial advisors then asked for $12.5 million/year for 35 years (in lieu of the lump-sum), which they were then able to capitalize (through a bond issue) into more than $210 million for the arena.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

On the one hand, there are so many things that could have cut right and led to both teams still being in New Jersey. Missed opportunities that boggle the mind now. On the other hand, we are extremely fortunate to have the Devils in a state of the art arena because it came perilously close to falling through (and likely would have been swept away altogether with the Great Recession) several times.

Ya I was a big Nets fan around this time, and it pained me to see it all play out like this. Not only in seeing the Net's leave, but the missed oppurtunity for the Arena/Newark itself.

It's worth a paper in itself.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Ya I was a big Nets fan around this time, and it pained me to see it all play out like this. Not only in seeing the Net's leave, but the missed oppurtunity for the Arena/Newark itself.

It's worth a paper in itself.

Bergen county politicians were on record saying they would rather have the Nets leave NJ than go to Essex County.
Loretta Weinberg led the way.
Her and a bunch of other blowhards.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bergen county politicians were on record saying they would rather have the Nets leave NJ than go to Essex County.
Loretta Weinberg led the way.
Her and a bunch of other blowhards.

If it was more along the lines of "We'd rather they leave then have tax payers help pay for a new building" Then OK I can totally see that.

But to let them leave, and THEN build the arena? Poorly done.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Redds sounds nice. Its crazy if you go on Google Maps and look at street view now and compare it to the street view from 2007 around that area.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
This state is better off without the Nets. Toxic organization

Disagree, rather have two pro sports teams in Newark than 1, helps out all the new businesses and restaurants in Newark to have more people coming to the area. It's too bad there is no chance of any pro sports league coming to Newark or NJ in the foreseeable future (MLB, NBA) would be great for both the Devils and the city.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Disagree, rather have two pro sports teams in Newark than 1, helps out all the new businesses and restaurants in Newark to have more people coming to the area. It's too bad there is no chance of any pro sports league coming to Newark or NJ in the foreseeable future (MLB, NBA) would be great for both the Devils and the city.

There is no question that a NBA team would be great for the city and of course the nearby eateries and bars.

But for the Devils hockey team, it's better that there is not an NBA team.
Scheduling/ice.

And for DAE, the benefits of having open dates to book lucrative shows outweighs the guaranteed rent a NBA team would pay for 44 nights per season.
*Different story if the NBA team was owned of course

The key is that DAE has to start booking more big time shows.
The summer concert schedule is thin at the moment with no big name rock shows on the docket.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Summer is hard for someone like the Pru Center because Metlife and even other smaller outdoor places like PNC and Jones Beach start picking away at acts

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
True about summer and they do have some shows that will draw well, WWE, Selena Gomez, Bieber, Demi Lovato.

But nothing for adults this summer which is a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad