Music: Official ProgRock-ProgMetal-TechDeath Thread

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
New Solo Effort from Aristocrats Bassist Features John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan and More

Aristocrats bassist Bryan Beller has announced a new solo album, Scenes from the Flood. The effort, “a sweeping, epic-scale modern progressive double concept album,” features an all-star cast of guest guitarists, including Beller’s Aristocrats band mate Guthrie Govan, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Mike Dawes, Mike Keneally and more.
Other musicians appearing on the record include drummers Gene Hoglan (Testament, Death) and Joe Travers (Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson). Beller performs bass, keyboards, guitars and lead vocals.

This has some promise. New Solo Effort from Aristocrats Bassist Features John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan and More

Reactions: Number34

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Anybody know much about the band Universe Effects? I was looking at guitar videos on you tube when I ended up finding videos of their guitarist which led me to their first album which the posted. Interesting stuff, young guys the first album was supposedly written when the guitarist was in his teens and 20 when they recorded it. A very Dream Theater vibe to it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Was pretty damn impressed with that, the drumming is top notch.

I've been getting really into Transatlantic. It might resemble the boring 70s of prog rock/metal, but some of their songs are absolutely top notch. "Duel with the Devil" in particular has to be one of the best songs I've heard in a long time.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I'm really glad this thread got bumped, I wasn't aware of it before and now I know how I'll be spending the next hour or so.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Devin Townsend has kept busy during the pandemic. He has 3 releases coming in the next year. The first is The Puzzle, his description of it...

what is 'The Puzzle'? ...well, its not technically my 'new record', its more a collaborative, multimedia art project that acts as a stopgap between Empath and the next record, 'Lightwork' (Due out in March of next year on Inside Out Records) The Puzzle includes 2 'soundtracks' of sorts, (the highly orchestrated 'Puzzle' and the very chill 'Snuggles') along with a film, graphic novel, novel, and a huge amount of multimedia. It includes many artists (upwards of 50) that participated via Zoom during the pandemic and the experience gave me a chance to purge and be completely creatively free. As such, it is a stream of conscious, and very abstract collection of music that includes a narrative (in the form of a film) and is meant to be a documentation of what the pandemic felt like to me. Im very proud of it, and I will be uploading some of Snuggles next. Note: it is *not* meant to be considered a normal 'album', it is truly a sprawling, complex, multimedia cathartic release that was inspired by the events of the last year and a half. Lightwork is much more in line with what Ive done in the past (Transcendence, Empath, Addicted, Ocean Machine etc) but Puzzle is very near to my heart. It includes so many of my friends and peers, and it has zero limits on it... its almost like 'Puzzle and Snuggle' are like a modern day 'Devlab and Hummer' (2 old albums of mine) but the difference being the levels of complexity this project included. Mixing it alone was a nightmare, let alone the film, the books, the box sets etc. (The box set is a hand numbered and signed piece of work that is limited to 1000 pieces). Im sure this won't be everybody's cup of tea, and I would imagine the listeners who are more interested in 'Kingdom' or 'Deadhead' would be better suited to wait for Lightwork, (and I can appreciate that very much...) however, 'The Puzzle' has been my soundtrack for the last year and a half, and in keeping with the idea of making sure that what I am writing is authentic to what Im feeling, The Puzzle is essentially my documentation of the Pandemic and the world around it. It has been a very intense time, as Im sure you'd agree... The other record, 'Snuggles' is meant to be something you listen to in order to feel better... Puzzle is chaos, Snuggles is calm. The whole project is meant to express that I think there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel we've been through. Keeping ourselves and our loved ones together during it all became the whole point.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

I've been a big fan of Colors II thus far but especially Human is Hell. The way they loop in musical queues that hearken back to White Walls makes me super happy and the bit at the end when they bring back the opening riff on keys and segue it back to guitar may be my favorite moment on the whole album.

Does Sleep Token fall as Prog Metal? I feel like they do but anyway, the new album is a journey for sure. I don't dislike any of it though there are surprises (auto-tune acapella?) but I think the best song on the album is this one:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I've been a big fan of Colors II thus far but especially Human is Hell. The way they loop in musical queues that hearken back to White Walls makes me super happy and the bit at the end when they bring back the opening riff on keys and segue it back to guitar may be my favorite moment on the whole album.

Does Sleep Token fall as Prog Metal? I feel like they do but anyway, the new album is a journey for sure. I don't dislike any of it though there are surprises (auto-tune acapella?) but I think the best song on the album is this one:

From what I understand they are generally consider a mix of alternative rock and prog metal, depends on the song etc.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Recently released version without any vocals. A fantastic song in any version, particularly live in concert.
This version allows to hear the subtlety of the instruments without being overshadowed by the vocals.

• Wow
Reactions: Bahama Mama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad