Music: Official ProgRock-ProgMetal-TechDeath Thread

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Riverside just dropped a new song last week, which is their first new material since their last album (which was really good and dark for a Prog Rock band). This new song is damn good, has all their original signature elements that makes them special.

Reactions: Bahama Mama

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I love this new album from Devin. Better than his last few which were good just not as good.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I love this new album from Devin. Better than his last few which were good just not as good.

Bloody good album, he actually brought in a "mainstream" producer and why it sounds more like a traditional album than Devin's weirdness (which is also great). I highly recommend listening to the B side of that album (Nightworks), at this point, I like it more than the actual album lol.

Also, Colours II was absolutely amazing and one of the best albums I've heard in the last couple of years. Definitely BTBAM's best album yet.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Bloody good album, he actually brought in a "mainstream" producer and why it sounds more like a traditional album than Devin's weirdness (which is also great). I highly recommend listening to the B side of that album (Nightworks), at this point, I like it more than the actual album lol.

Also, Colours II was absolutely amazing and one of the best albums I've heard in the last couple of years. Definitely BTBAM's best album yet.
I bought the double one I love both, Nightwork is also great you are correct!!

And i also got and like Colors II

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
This band features a very good friend of mine, a STL local. Their debut album came out in 2020, and they’re currently in the studio writing new stuff. This definitely falls more in the tech death (some might even say death core) a la The Black Dahlia Murder, Archspire, Allegeon, etc. they’ve done a couple national tours and plan on doing a lot more in the coming years. Keep your eyes out.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

I admit going into Colours II a bit hesitant, yes it was BTBAM but it feels like these "sequel" albums often set unrealistic expectations and flub it. Incorrect. CII was awesome beginning to end and I especially love the musical callbacks to the first. White Walls is probably one of my top 5 all-time favorite songs and the way Human is Hell had all the references made me a happy dude.

New NeO song and album. Also announced a kickass tour lineup including Beyond Creation and Persefone...which is not coming within 6 hours of me. Got-damnit.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I admit going into Colours II a bit hesitant, yes it was BTBAM but it feels like these "sequel" albums often set unrealistic expectations and flub it. Incorrect. CII was awesome beginning to end and I especially love the musical callbacks to the first. White Walls is probably one of my top 5 all-time favorite songs and the way Human is Hell had all the references made me a happy dude.

New NeO song and album. Also announced a kickass tour lineup including Beyond Creation and Persefone...which is not coming within 6 hours of me. Got-damnit.

Can't wait. Love me some NeO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Riverside with a new album coming early next year. Not a bad single, but I wouldn't call it super spectacular either.

When I heard everything about this album for the first time, I like you thought it was going to be one of those "milk it" moments while another part of me honestly thought they simply ran out of ideas. I mean I liked Coma Ecliptic and the Automata series, but they didn't touch the sound they had on Colours I or Alaska for me. They come across as having monotonous, average sounds even if there were some brilliant songs on either of them like "Turn on the Darkness or "Blot." However, I was mindblown by Colours II, just revolutionary for their discography and they found a unique blend between harsh and melodic. I too love "White Walls," but you can't go with any song on that album and I think Colours II shares some of the same attributes.

Reactions: Fripp

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's impressive vocals. Thx!
Stu Block, to me, has to be one of the best voices in metal. If you don't know him, listen to this to get eargasm.

Haken has a new album coming out in March.
Great band. Sure, they tend to go a bit too crazy with off-time signatures, but their jazz sections are fantastic along with their overall song formation. Granted that this is an older song, but "Atlas Stone" by them is one of the best individual songs I've heard in the past three or so years as they were a more recent discovery for me. Also love "1985."

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I'm hoping 2023 can bring some new music from bands that have been dormant for way too long.

Symphony X, Karnivool, Skyharbor, to name a few. Why do they take so long to release new music? The Michael Romeo release was solid though - more impactful for me than anything Symphony X has ever done aside from Iconoclast. And Dino on vocals is a BEAST! Hard to equal Sir Allen but man, young Jelusick has some serious pipes.

Dream Theater will also be hitting the studio again in the fall of 2023. I've been a fan since I&W, and for the longest time, SFAM was my favourite release of theirs that I never thought they'd top, especially after Portnoy left. I was wrong - AVFTTOTW to me is an S-tier release. Mangini absolutely SHINES on every single track, as does everyone else. So, eagerly looking forward to their next release!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad