Music: Official ProgRock-ProgMetal-TechDeath Thread

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Official ProgRock | ProgMetal | TechDeath Thread

The guys who listen to blast beats with cookie monster & troll vocals can't handle the dynamics of Progressive Metal/Rock. So now this thread exists. :sarcasm:

ProgSnobLogo-RESIZE_zps0584d2a2.png

I'll post more when I have time, but for now I'll start with a band mentioned by 666Ducks.

Also wouldn't be correct not to include these guys (considering my screenname and all)

Dan Tompkins is back as singer for TesseracT btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Number34

ington

Nov 16, 2012
BC

Can't think of many better prog performances.

As you put prog-rock in the title too it impossible not to mention King Crimson, Yes, ELP, Genesis, etc...

Gong is cool too if you can get into it

I couldn't really get into metal even of the prog variety. There aren't too many bands in that genre that really go through the full dynamic range. There are clearly exception such as Porcupine Tree,Tool, Opeth but I tend to stay away from anything involving the usual metal tonality.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I couldn't really get into metal even of the prog variety. There aren't too many bands in that genre that really go through the full dynamic range. There are clearly exception such as Porcupine Tree,Tool, Opeth but I tend to stay away from anything involving the usual metal tonality.

No worries man. I'm trying to create an open, non-judgmental, thread. Post pretty much anything you like that's at least semi proggy haha.

Thanks for the post. I love a lot of Mars Volta. And you're correct - they were amazing live when I saw them.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Love this performance. Audio is really good for being live.

My favourite band of all time. Glad someone mentioned them in the Prog Rock thread. Great vid as well.

For discussion purposes, what are your, or anyone's, thoughts on the delay of the new album because of this lawsuit fiasco?

Bobo420

Jun 13, 2007
Any prog metal thread could use some Meshuggah:

I was at this recording:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Love The Contortionist, have seen them live many times, they do not ever disappoint. Extremely tight band. Some people say they are BTBAM ripoffs, I do not see it. They have their own thing going on.

I often have a hard time distinguishing exactly what is "prog-metal" from some melodic death metal, progressive metalcore, djent, post-metal, plain old prog-rock, etc. There's so much genre-mashing anymore. But here are some things I like that probably cover the entire spectrum intended in this thread:

Reactions: Number34

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I often have a hard time distinguishing exactly what is "prog-metal" from some melodic death metal, progressive metalcore, djent, post-metal, plain old prog-rock, etc. There's so much genre-mashing anymore. But here are some things I like that probably cover the entire spectrum intended in this thread:

Yeah I'm down with pretty much anything. I'm just over judging music based on genre it is or isn't. If I like it, I like it. :nod:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
My favourite band of all time. Glad someone mentioned them in the Prog Rock thread. Great vid as well.

For discussion purposes, what are your, or anyone's, thoughts on the delay of the new album because of this lawsuit fiasco?

Sucks but I have really gotten into Maynard's side band Puscifer so that is holding me over in a way.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Sucks but I have really gotten into Maynard's side band Puscifer so that is holding me over in a way.

It took me awhile to get into Puscifer, but I have to say that there are some songs that I've enjoyed thoroughly. This is my favouritest still.

It tides me over, and so did A Perfect Circle between albums, but this whole court case delay is quite frustrating, although I don't blame them for being preoccupied with it. I couldn't imagine creating my 'art' or 'craft' when something like this hovers over.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It took me awhile to get into Puscifer, but I have to say that there are some songs that I've enjoyed thoroughly. This is my favouritest still.

It tides me over, and so did A Perfect Circle between albums, but this whole court case delay is quite frustrating, although I don't blame them for being preoccupied with it. I couldn't imagine creating my 'art' or 'craft' when something like this hovers over.

Try the live album from Puscifer, it is amazing both he and the female singer are great on it. It's called "What is?"

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Thought the Cynic concert was tonight. It was last night. I'm seriously so depressed and pissed at myself right now. :banghead:

May have to drive down to NYC on Tuesday to see them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->