Music: Official ProgRock-ProgMetal-TechDeath Thread

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy ****, the new Threshold album is unbelievable. I dare to say that it is better than March of Progress and a huge step in the right direction from For the Journey.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
So far this year I've enjoyed new albums from:
Chon
The Contortionist
Leprous
Jakub Zytecki
Disperse
Others by No One (who I highly recommend they are like the next Native Construct)

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005

From the recently-released debut album from a local band I've seen live a couple times. Really some top-notch music.

Last edited:

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
After multiple listens to the new Contortionist album I can easily say it's absolutely magnificent. Took about 5 full listens to adjust but holy hell this album is just amazing. :yo:

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Still taking in Clairvoyant. After a few listens it seems average, about on par with Language. I'm definitely not expecting another Exoplanet or Intrinsic from this band but phasing the dynamics out of their music is a compositional mistake in my eyes. I'd also prefer that Mike get back to the full chest singing he was doing in LCTR but it is what it is.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
Still taking in Clairvoyant. After a few listens it seems average, about on par with Language. I'm definitely not expecting another Exoplanet or Intrinsic from this band but phasing the dynamics out of their music is a compositional mistake in my eyes. I'd also prefer that Mike get back to the full chest singing he was doing in LCTR but it is what it is.

The more I listen to it the less I like it, I stated earlier that a lot of the tracks feel like they missed the cut on Language, and I completely agree with the phasing dynamics out of the overall sound point. Intrinsic is my favorite TC. It sounded like a matured and fully formed band that found an identity but ever since they've just kinda stripped elements away in lieu of just slightly polished indie/prog rock sounds that I've heard before. Based on interviews and articles I've read the band seems completely dissatisfied with their metal elements though so I doubt any future releases will pique my interest. That said I'm still feeling like a 7 out of 10 on Clairvoyant. I just could have done without tracks like The Center, Reimagined, and to a lesser extent Absolve

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011

Exoplanet and Intrinsic are only seen as their best if you prefer a heavy, harder sound.

I am really liking Clairvoyant for the layers, musicality, soundscapes, juxtaposition, lyrical content and themes. It's really consistent. It has really grown on me with each listen.

I can't compare it to Language really for I think it's a different atmosphere and theme that they were trying to achieve. Language will always be my favorite, and I think this is a great follow-up and ranks as number 2 for me.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Exoplanet and Intrinsic are only seen as their best if you prefer a heavy, harder sound.

I am really liking Clairvoyant for the layers, musicality, soundscapes, juxtaposition, lyrical content and themes. It's really consistent. It has really grown on me with each listen.

I can't compare it to Language really for I think it's a different atmosphere and theme that they were trying to achieve. Language will always be my favorite, and I think this is a great follow-up and ranks as number 2 for me.

Idk if I agree with that first statement, you can't really just introduce that sort of a rule to generalize something that's so subjective. I don't necessarily prefer heavy music to soundscapes; I enjoy bands Anathema or Vestascension just as much as I enjoy heavy music. I just think that the Contortionist was at their strongest when they employed a heavy contrast of post-rock and deathcore. Obviously part of that sound is still there but the last couple albums just don't resonate with me as much. Not saying they're bad, but just not quite as impactful.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Got back from the Colors 10th Anniversary last night and MY GOD was it amazing. Possibly the best concert I have ever attended, and certainly the most fun one I have ever attended. Anyone who was anyone in the metal scene was there. The musicianship was out of control, the crowd was great... there just are no words to describe how great it was. And I only paid 25 bucks a ticket or so.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
GPIrrhX.jpg

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
Can't wait for November to come. All in a span of a week I'm seeing:
-Periphery, AAL, C-Bomb (gonna be wild)
-Arch Echo, the new instrumental prog band on the scene
-Circa Survive, Chon (Thrice headlining but not really into them now)

Reactions: TesseracT

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Man... The Dear Hunter went super down hill with Act 4-5, really not much in terms of redeeming songs.
Huh, it's quite the opposite for me.

Might also be because I didn't get into them until like 2-3 years ago so act IV was the first TDH album I really got into (along with the color spectrum around the same time)

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Can't wait for November to come. All in a span of a week I'm seeing:
-Periphery, AAL, C-Bomb (gonna be wild)
-Arch Echo, the new instrumental prog band on the scene
-Circa Survive, Chon (Thrice headlining but not really into them now)
I'm seriously considering traveling for that Periphery show.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
Ugh the production on that Faceless song turned me off at like 30 seconds, I really hope this overly compressed production trend ends fast, I can tolerate it sometimes but this is too much.

Here is some amazing technical/melodic death metal from Montreal. Definitely one of my albums of the year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad