Rumor: Official Pens Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** We will keep rolling with this thread throughout the day, unless it starts to get bogged down. Per the Administration guru's, we shouldnt need to cap it with the new upgrades. ***

Keep this thread to PENGUINS rumors and or trades only.

Yes, the forum is experiencing issues, we get it, keep your whining about it out of the thread.

a4c75869d223aa90129ab6c89646ac34.gif

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If the best shot we have is overpaying for a dude having an extreme outlier season in Bertuzzi, or landing the Swedish Zucker in Rakell, f*** it. Don't even bother. Sick of this team paying premium prices for 3rd liners that we'll try to pretend are legit scoring line threats. :laugh:

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Chara is NYI's worst dman by the numbers and most of their fans don't want him back judging from a quick look through their forum.

I think you forget about his advanced stats and look at actual outcomes. Remember when we were told Hainsey was done and just iced the puck.

Chara plays too many minutes but is their most effective penalty killer and +7 on the season. Blocks more shots than anyone and clears the crease.

Should he be an avid pincher? No. Should he be someone anyone really looks to sign next season…. probably not.

Bet your bottom dollar that he is an impact third pairing D-man still in this years playoffs though. At least I would.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If the best shot we have is overpaying for a dude having an extreme outlier season in Bertuzzi, or landing the Swedish Zucker in Rakell, f*** it. Don't even bother. Sick of this team paying premium prices for 3rd liners that we'll try to pretend are legit scoring line threats. :laugh:

For the last time Bertuzzi isn’t having an extreme outlier season lol

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Absolutely on full go! Can't believe how excited I am. 40 hours and counting. THIS is the point to finally get stoked. A lot of you jumped the gun but now, now's the time to get yourselves into a frenzy!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If you're gunning for a big trade, as if we have the assets to pull it off, you better hope it's in the off-season. In-season, particularly at the TDL, is prime "what the f*** were you thinking" territory.
I’m gunning for a big trade…to me it’s more “what the f**k were you thinking” when you waste assets to trade for someone like Hagg or some other “physical “ Dman when your coach doesn’t play D that way, or some forward on a downward path in the hope he can capture past glory…if a big trade doesn’t materialize, better to do nothing

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah I'm at the point where I think the Penguins basically don't do anything at the deadline. They don't want to tinker with the roster and make small acquisitions for the sake of making small acquisitions, but they don't really have the assets or cap space to make a bigger splash.
Sleepy half assed this summer and people said it’s fine, he can make adjustment during the season. Here we are - back to defending him for inaction.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
All I can go off of is what I read in The Athletic and their sources. I just know that what they're saying does make sense for needs, it's just a matter of what assets do we have that can actually land those needs.

The supposed needs:
  • A winger for Malkin, it was nice to see Kapanen finally getting some confidence back after the goal, I really do like the lad and hope he continues to build on that before the TDL, but I think that will still be a need especially if there are better options within reach, otherwise I wouldn't be shocked if they stayed put and added a depth scorer instead for the 3rd/4th lines and maybe moved out one of the 2-way types that we have way too many of - Simon? ZAR?
  • A stronger defenseman that they seem to be alluding to the left side for, because the call out was Pettersson and his lack of being able to clear the crease in the Blues game, but that's been his problem and the rest of the defense's problem all season - but I guess when you watch MP, you see it far more frequently than anyone else.

I don't like that they aren't looking at a veteran back-up, it's not so much the dislike I have for CDS, but the fact that collectively, between them, there's 7 games of playoff experience, all with Jarry. That shouldn't be something this team feels fine about, being that Jarry really struggled last year, which happens for a lot of new starters heading into the playoffs for their first few times, the lack of a veteran presence to really lean on during a pressure situation like the best of 7, is really missing out on a good opportunity to add support to TJ. It is going to be an interesting playoffs, there's a few other teams with even less experience in the playoffs.

Boston - Swayman has 1 game of experience
Rangers - I think also 1?
Penguins are right there at 3rd with Jarry having 7 games.
I don't expect VGK to make it.

Also, seriously - Ruhwedel in over Friedman is f***ing idiotic.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sleepy half assed this summer and people said it’s fine, he can make adjustment during the season. Here we are - back to defending him for inaction.
You should have been patient by little green friend because glory is upon us, you simply should have waited until now! Now is when the rubber meets the road, not b4!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I wonder if we’re in on Leddy?

I don’t get why we would be unless Yzerman loves Pettersson and will retain 50%…and if he loves Petts so much, why aren’t we asking him to trade us Bertuzzi instead, who we could use more?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t get why we would be unless Yzerman loves Pettersson and will retain 50%…and if he loves Petts so much, why aren’t we asking him to trade us Bertuzzi instead, who we could use more?
Andy, lets wait and see how the roster looks at 430pm on monday, ok? Until then you should have hope. Patience is a virtue, straw is cheaper.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I’m gunning for a big trade…to me it’s more “what the f**k were you thinking” when you waste assets to trade for someone like Hagg or some other “physical “ Dman when your coach doesn’t play D that way, or some forward on a downward path in the hope he can capture past glory…if a big trade doesn’t materialize, better to do nothing
We don't have anyone who plays a physical game on the blueline except maybe Letang. I can't stand Sully but this isn't the guy going "Alright fellas, no hittin' out there, okay? Be nice." :laugh: There's probably not a team in the East, maybe league, that's easier on its opponents around its own net than the Penguins. -edit- Hagg sucks, btw. I'm just saying targeting a guy who can throw some weight around ain't the worst thing in the world. But I'd rather keep this soft as baby shit lineup than pay to acquire Hagg--even if he's cheap.

You can gun for a big trade, but you ain't got the assets or cap space to land that big fish if it's out there. The most attractive names are Zucker-caliber, 20ish goal, 40ish point middle-6 guys we have in droves, who haven't worked for half a decade. You're not landing JT Miller with anything we've got, and Vancouver's trying to make him a long-term Canuck. You're probably not landing Boeser because the Canucks are trying to lock him up too. Bertuzzi's a middle-6 guy his entire career who happens to be doing well and scoring points for a team with no real talent up front and at the bottom of the standings. Garland's another smallish, middle-6 guy who lives in the 20-20-40 realm production-wise and he makes $5 million a year for several more years. Rakell had one good season years ago but he's the Swedish Zucker.

Ain't shit out there worth chasing. I say that as someone who doesn't give a shit about any of our turd prospects or this year's 1st rounder which is gonna be in the mid-20s most likely. f*** it, throw multiple 1sts at Chicago for DeBrincat. I doubt they bite but he's the only guy worth throwing the kitchen sink at.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Panthers added Chiarot and Giroux - Fantastic adds for the most dangerous offense in the league.
Tampa added Hagel to an already deep team and that bloke is cap controlled at a dirty cap hit for 2 more years and he's producing very well.

Pens have to do something if they know they need to extend this window with the core. This can't be a year of "well, lets see what our current team can do..." sort of bs.

I wish they'd stop stringing Jason Zucker along as well, he's back to skating and should be moved in a package to land a winger that works or even at the least - to free up that contract. Zucker's got a weird situation with his Trade Clause and his wife's custody thing. But I think moving him to California would be relatively easy.

I'd try to move Zucker for Rakell (other stuff probably included etc) and give the Ducks a veteran winger to play with Terry and Zegras next season. Could you imagine a Zucker, Zegras, Terry line? Jeez. Rakell is versatile, can play either wing and even some center, could be a good bottom 6 add, frees up cap next season as well with no Zucker on the books.

Something like Rakell + 4th for Zucker + Riikola

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We don't have anyone who plays a physical game on the blueline except maybe Letang. I can't stand Sully but this isn't the guy going "Alright fellas, no hittin' out there, okay? Be nice." :laugh: There's probably not a team in the East, maybe league, that's easier on its opponents around its own net than the Penguins. -edit- Hagg sucks, btw. I'm just saying targeting a guy who can throw some weight around ain't the worst thing in the world. But I'd rather keep this soft as baby shit lineup than pay to acquire Hagg--even if he's cheap.

You can gun for a big trade, but you ain't got the assets or cap space to land that big fish if it's out there. The most attractive names are Zucker-caliber, 20ish goal, 40ish point middle-6 guys we have in droves, who haven't worked for half a decade. You're not landing JT Miller with anything we've got, and Vancouver's trying to make him a long-term Canuck. You're probably not landing Boeser because the Canucks are trying to lock him up too. Bertuzzi's a middle-6 guy his entire career who happens to be doing well and scoring points for a team with no real talent up front and at the bottom of the standings. Garland's another smallish, middle-6 guy who lives in the 20-20-40 realm production-wise and he makes $5 million a year for several more years. Rakell had one good season years ago but he's the Swedish Zucker.

Ain't shit out there worth chasing. I say that as someone who doesn't give a shit about any of our turd prospects or this year's 1st rounder which is gonna be in the mid-20s most likely. f*** it, throw multiple 1sts at Chicago for DeBrincat. I doubt they bite but he's the only guy worth throwing the kitchen sink at.

yes, the blueline strategy in the Dzone appears to be to play positioning and sticks and not the body…watch them, every single Dman is not hitting…so just adding one Dman who will play 13 minutes and hit, when the other four are playing 18-26 min, is not going to have too much impact

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Lol what did he half ass this summer? I guess you missed some of the contracts that were handed out and prices played for players. Show me on the doll where Hex touched you

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

He does seem to punish players that do play a more physical brand though it seems. Friedman not being in the line-up when he actually brings some sort of physical/pest element that we severely lack on this team is weird. Then the way Reaves was used, etc.

ZAR is the most useless kind of physical and he is the type that gets played often. It's like this coach really does want all 2-way wingers and players over any sort of talent that takes chances/risks like other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad