Rumor: Official Pens Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** We will keep rolling with this thread throughout the day, unless it starts to get bogged down. Per the Administration guru's, we shouldnt need to cap it with the new upgrades. ***

Keep this thread to PENGUINS rumors and or trades only.

Yes, the forum is experiencing issues, we get it, keep your whining about it out of the thread.

a4c75869d223aa90129ab6c89646ac34.gif

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If this thread is for just for Penguins related news and trades, it’s not going to make it past one page lol…

Reactions: Hamurai

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If this thread is for just for Penguins related news and trades, it’s not going to make it past one page lol…
I'm excited Andy, no joke. It's crunch time now. Before it was just fluff and aimless speculation, now though the real fun begins. 41 hrs to go my friend!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm excited Andy, no joke. It's crunch time now. Before it was just fluff and aimless speculation, now though the real fun begins. 41 hrs to go my friend!

Really? But our front office is so boring and has no guts.…If we come out of this deadline without getting a top six winger who’s good enough to warrant giving up a first round pick and one of our better prospects (cough, not Rakell) then Hextall has failed the club…so far I see nothing that indicates he will be trading for anything than another JJ clone in Hagg….I’ll be writing emails to Jim Rutherford begging him to return if we don’t get a top notch forward

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
My dream scenario would be wriggling free of Pettersson and using that money for Middleton and I guess Rakell or maybe a flyer on Kubalik on the cheap although I'm still kinda hoping Rutherford does something atomic (hoping against hope though). But I just don't think anyone is going to do us that favour right now.

Although, tbh, I wish they'd go full cynic and leave McGinn on LTIR for a long time (unless someone else gets injured). But oh well. If wishes were horses and all that.

We should trade ZAR if we can. Except even if they could, we all know that they won't. We'll be fine running Big Z or DOC.

Maybe with the dust settling with the big chasing teams, there might be some better prices.

I think they could easily trade ZAR and I'm thinking it's becoming more and more likely with him not playing in the last 3 games.

"He's sick" just sounds like a cover. The team needs money to add elsewhere and ZAR is insanely replaceable on this team.

Trading ZAR would be super easy and I think they'd do it, but it's got to get the player they want as a result and as he only opens up so much cap room, not sure it would. Guess there's always some cap laundering through a third team.

I bet the Pens make like two small trades.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think it'll be a veteran rental.

Someone like Paul Stastny for a conditional 2nd round pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I'm at the point where I think the Penguins basically don't do anything at the deadline. They don't want to tinker with the roster and make small acquisitions for the sake of making small acquisitions, but they don't really have the assets or cap space to make a bigger splash.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Really? But our front office is so boring and has no guts.…If we come out of this deadline without getting a top six winger who’s good enough to warrant giving up a first round pick and one of our better prospects (cough, not Rakell) then Hextall has failed the club…so far I see nothing that indicates he will be trading for anything than another JJ clone in Hagg….I’ll be writing emails to Jim Rutherford begging him to return if we don’t get a top notch forward
After MP gets traded will have a bit more cap flexibility. My guess is a top six winger and a depth defensemen (not really going out on a limb there but...). Why not deal with VAN? One stop shopping? Should be interesting but I also think OTT has a couple intriguing guys that might be had.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
My guess is the following:

Petts to a non-contender for picks/prospect.

ZAR to Buffalo for Hagg.

Picks/prospect to Anaheim for Rakell.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I don't know if you've been keeping up with the trade boards but there's pretty much no winger better than Rakell out there barring a team making a guy available in an unexpected way at the last moment (assuming the Canucks aren't trading Boeser at the moment).

Also cap space. You want him to pay whatever it takes to create cap space?

edit: I forgot about Bertuzzi tbf. Assuming Yzerman wants a fair price rather than an insane price, assuming he likes out top prospects, assuming we can find that much cap space...

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know that the FO has no guts. I think they're screwed cap-wise, they have no real valuable assets to land a significant player, and they're kinda f***ed as far as longer-term plans until they know for sure what's going on with Geno and Letang (Rust is 100% gone imo, unless Letang walks, in which case, who gives a f*** about Rust).

-edit- Outside of unrealistic options like DeBrincat, I don't really give a f*** about any of the names available. Bertuzzi's value is inflated like crazy because of what I'd say is an extreme outlier season for him. Garland's yet another smaller player who's probably gonna be a 40-50pt middle-6 guy making $5 million AAV. Boeser's gonna be re-signed, or at least the Canucks are trying. Ditto for JT Miller, who is way out of our price range anyway imo. Schenn sucks, imo. A backup doesn't really matter because if Jarry falters, is fatigued or goes down to injury, no guy we're gonna land is gonna make a difference and save the season in that scenario.

In short; Get ready for another "prices didn't make sense for us to make a move, our deadline acquisition is a healthy Jason Zucker, we like where our team is at and didn't feel the need to make any moves" presser.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It comes down to whether you think the lack of goal scoring is a structural problem or a case of bad luck/due to regress. Like Geno for instance. Looks great. Line hasn't been making goals. What gives?

I could go either way. There ain't no perfect teams so I won't whinge incessantly if we run EROD in the top 6. I'm much more dour on the prospect of Heinen being good (he isn't) or Zucker being a legit top-6er (he isn't, not here at least)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Chara is NYI's worst dman by the numbers and most of their fans don't want him back judging from a quick look through their forum.

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad